11

Distant Memories(Made in the USA part 2)

 

 

Jaekyung joined her younger brother.

“What happened?”

“She just collapsed, jie. She was just cooking!”

Jaekyung felt herself tense, but she sat down, worry began to eat her.

“What did the doctor say?” She asked again.

She heard her older brother hesitate, she looked up.

“He said…he wasn’t certain what would happen now.”

Jaekyung felt tears fall on her cheeks. She covered her face in distress.

Her grandmother was the one who raised them after her parents had separated, she couldn’t stand the fact of losing her.

Jaekyung felt someone standing before them.

Mark placed a packet of tissues on the empty seat beside her, and then wordlessly, he left.

 

It was a Friday afternoon when Himchan stepped in Saehee’s office.

“The meeting was cancelled, I apologize for that.” Saehee offered, Himchan nodded and plopped on the couch.

Saehee looked at him.

“It was rescheduled to next Thursday, I already assigned someone to visit the site next Monday.”

“Can we not talk about work?” Himchan murmured, Saehee glanced at him.

“Bad hangover?” She asked as she stood up.

“Don’t mention it.”

“Too much partying and drinking?” She mused, Himchan made a face at her.

“As business partners, you shouldn’t be here looking like that.”

“Like what?” Himchan finally sat up.

“A total shipwreck.” Sahee nodded bluntly, Himchan chuckled.

“Gee, thanks, Jung Saehee.”

“Any time, Kim Himchan. Now get out of my office and get yourself something warm to drink.”

 

Jaekyung was preparing for the party with the other secretaries from the secretarial office.

“So, have you decided?”

“What, jie?” She asked as they walked together in the hall, the catering staff were running about.

“Whether you’re interested in our new vice president or not?”

Jaekyung shook her head in amusement.

“Admit it, you like him. He’s attractive!”

“…You’re right. He is.”

“But we’ve noticed it too, he treats you differently, he did drive you to the hospital when your grandmother got admitted.”

Jaekyung smiled to herself and nodded, her senior just chuckled and slapped her shoulder.

“Then, go for it, who knows, he might be interested in you too.”

 

Mark entered the event with his two secretaries, Namjoo and Jaaekyung proceeded to introduce him to some of the members and other high ranking officers in the company.

Mark remained calm through out the party, even though he wasn’t used to talking with people so much.

Jaekyung joined her other seniors at side, Namjoo was still with Mark, translating. The Tuan heir looked princely in his black and white suit. Some of her workmates were talking about him dreamily.

“Look at him, he makes every male in the room look lousy.”

Jaekyung smiled at her senior.

“Jie, he might hear you, or your boss might.”

“It’s true.” She defended, Jaekyung smiled.

“I see the way you look at him, you like him.”

Jaekyung looked up, Mark was speaking with Namjoo and one of Tuan Motors’s directors.

“It sounds crazy, but I think I…do.”

 

Saehee tucked her hair behind her ear as she got in the cab, she handed a piece of paper to the driver.

He read the address before giving her a nod. Saehee smiled as she leaned back, she watched as they passed by different buildings and views.

She put on her sunglasses and brushed hair.

 

“Who’s she? She didn’t get the dress code.”

Jaekyung looked up and followed her senior’s gaze. A young woman had entered the hall, she was clad in a pair of denim hot shorts, a loose white V-neck shirt and sunglasses framed her face and on her feet were Nike trainers.

“Look at her go.” Her senior mused as the lady walked around.

“Should we go to her?” Jaekyung asked skeptically.

“Her legs could go on forever.” Her senior mused, making her smile slightly. Then she turned to Mark. Her boss had turned sideways, Jaekyung stepped forward expecting him to call her over.

But, his eyes went to the stranger.

Then Jaekyung saw for the first time, a full genuine smile.

Mark detached himself from the people he was talking to, then to Jaekyung’s shock he walked towards the stranger while smiling.

“Oh, he knows her.” She heard someone say.

“Hi, Tuan.” She heard the girl say, Mark rolled his eyes at her and took her leather duffel.

“Welcome to Taiwan.” Mark said, the girl smiled before leaning over to wrap her arms around his neck.

 

Jaekyung’s eyes widened as her boss hugged the other lady back and briefly planted his lips on her hair, she felt like a pail of ice cold water was poured over her.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++