Everything Happens For A Reason

Everything Happens For A Reason

 

Knowing your lover was something important. Like how you're supposed to know what she likes or what she doesn't, what she finds interesting or just plain boring, what bothers her or what makes her heart flutter. That's why when double dates were set up, there was always this so called -who knows their lover more- game, where it always leaves the losing couple into a fight you couldn't imagine would be big.

 

This was the fourth night. The two consecutive nights were as disappointing as the first, and when their heels clicked the floors of the lonesome apartment, with frustrations built up, venomous retorts and hurtful comments were made. The two would slam the door shut, and lock themselves up then the sun sets. It would end up having Jessica to say sorry, it was her fault anyways.

 

Before the double dates, everything was, let’s say, not how they used to be. The relationship was indescribable, truth to be told, but one thing for sure was it wasn’t like before.

 

Tiffany was doing her daily routines, fixing up the table after the loving meal they shared. She’d take the bubbling sponge and let it slide through the plates, rinsing it thoroughly, making the spots disintegrate with one swipe, then while doing it, she’d suddenly feel a warm embrace and her ears would perk up to  a soft and gentle whisper cooing “I love you”

 

That was how it was the good old days.

 

Tiffany was doing her daily routines, fixing up the table after the loving meal they shared. She’d take the bubbling sponge and let it slide through the plates, rinsing it thoroughly, making the spots disintegrate with one swipe, then after she finished, she slumps onto the couch and wait for Jessica.

 

That was how it was now a days. Now a days; definition, these past 5 months.

 

Ever since Jessica’s parents set foot on Korea she’d be spending time with them for the whole day.

 

Or so that’s what she thought.

 

As her colleagues called them up and anxiously invited them, Tiffany knows they couldn't afford to not attend, they weren’t in bad terms as they didn’t really have an argument to begin with but they weren’t in the good side either as there was obviously something off about their relationship, and presenting themselves to a reunion with two friends whom they didn’t see for years would only be out of courtesy.

 

The half of the first night was beyond okay. The wine clashing with each other resulting to a wholesome toast, laughing heartily from the jokes and nonsense stories they shared, complementing each other as how they grew up from a childish and stubborn, to a mature and responsible adult, or at least close to that, you can say it was a memorable moment for both couples.

 

But when a game came up and the once wonderful gathering turned the complete opposite.

 

"Okay, since the two of you have been together for quite some time. Let us introduce to you a game." Yoona said, slurring in between her words before drinking yet another glass of wine causing a tickle of pink on her cheeks, while the girls just laughed signaling an okay. She was way out of her tolerance, but that didn't stop the continuation of the game at all.

 

"It's called the "who knows her lover more" game. We ask questions, and if you both answer the question with the same answer you get one point. If me and Yoona win, then both of you can make us do anything you want, whenever you want and how you want it to be done." Yuri continued, latching an arm around Yoona as she set her eyes on the opposite couple.

 

"But if we win, well, let's just say that we won’t stop this double date thing until you won't take the crown."

 

Tiffany wondered why Yoona and Yuri had this big ego as if they know they would never lose. She thought maybe the couple already had the same game with others, and it always turn out as them winning and the other losing, so the consequences weren’t a worry. Though there might be a possibility of humiliating themselves, they were still keeping up their heads high.

 

"Sounds fair to me."

 

"Okay then."

 

This was a piece of cake, the younger thought. You always spend time with each other, being there 24/7 somehow you’d probably already know the likes and dislikes even if it wasn’t directly said. Who knew you better than your lover right? Tiffany knew a lot about Jessica, and she’s also quite sure that Jessica knew a lot about her.

 

"What's Tiffany's Favorite Song?"

 

"The Way!"

"Right There."

 

With Tiffany saying The Way on the other hand Jessica saying Right there. The brunette was taken aback

 

Despite Tiffany idolizing Ariana Grande, never did she even have the chance to listen to "Right There", she then wondered why Jessica picked such a song. Whenever they were alone in the apartment, “The Way” would always be the song of her choice, never did it change, because all of the lyrics were adhered to Jessica. Did the blonde girl fail to notice this?

 

"Oh, right. The Way was supposed to be what I was going to say, I just got tongue-tied."

 

A slick excuse. Tiffany dropped her hands softly letting it land on the wooden table, obviously disappointed. Still curving her lips up, "Next question?"

 

"Where does Jessica liked to be kissed?"

 

"Forehead."

"Forehead."

 

Both were in sync, they met each other's eyes. Tiffany's confidence as well as her pride went up. Jessica loved it when Tiffany's lips would brush against her forehead, it was better than kissing her in the lips. Tiffany knew this, because she never failed to notice the heart beat that would jump and the smile that would stay whenever her lips grazed the skin.

 

Or was that before?

 

Tiffany rashly shrugged the thought, and continued to grin her best. She slipped her hand to Jessica’s. The Jessica she knew would squeeze her hand gently reassuring that she likes the feeling of having the hand intertwined with hers. But The Jessica now wasn’t like that at all. The blonde slightly unclasped their hands and placed her own on the table.

 

With such a small action, it made a tear on a part of Tiffany’s heart.

 

Noticing the slight wave of tension, and slightly caught the action, Yuri decided to cut the silence before something unpleasant happens, “One point, let’s continue shall we? Since Jessica likes to be kissed on the forehead, then where would Tiffany liked to be kissed?” She asked a little too happy, hoping to bring up the mood that was a little down.

 

“Cheeks.”

“Lips.”

 

And there it goes again.

Every time something was asked about Jessica, they got one point.

But when it came to Tiffany, their answers were always different.

 

The 4 consecutive nights came out as a routine. They’d have dinner, then leave 30 minutes for the game. Yoona and Yuri would always be on top ahead of 10 points, and they’d lose, garnering only half of the points.

 

It made Tiffany think, think deeply than she ever did before. Was she the only one on the relationship? Did she fell hard and didn’t even notice if the other was falling out of love? Did love bring her eyes to darkness, that all she knew if Jessica said I love you, she truly did?

 

There were many unanswered questions running through.

But none of them were answered, simply because she didn’t try to at least confront Jessica.

 

She was scared, but wanting to know the answers at the same time.

 

The thought of losing Jessica by her side was unbearable.

 

The thought of not having to see Jessica was unbearable

 

The thought of hearing Jessica’s excuse of having someone else was unbearable.

 

The thought of Jessica not loving her anymore was unbearable.

 

It was yet another one of those sleepless nights. Closing her eyes, wanting to forget the unwanted feelings she had, all the worries she gathered. But after numerous of attempts to set it aside, it always managed to sneak its way up to her mind, until she saw the sun setting, with the rays lightly hitting her face.

 

She had no choice but to start up another day, forgetting yesterday. Jessica would always approach her first and everything would be back to normal, so there wasn’t really a need to fret over it anymore. She had enough of the question game, whether they were invited again, she’ll be sure to find a way to not come.

 

Her slippers were on as she dragged her way towards the kitchen that was surprisingly silent.

Tiffany peeked one eye open, and the blonde wasn’t in her sight, no traces, no letters. Nothing. She sat on one of the high chairs. The worry on her heart grew even more.

 

Jessica would always be in the kitchen, waiting for her, and when her presence was seen, she’d hug her, kiss her, and tell her she’s sorry before murmuring I love you (s) to her ear.

 

You always said I love you. Now I wonder if you still do.

 

--

The dark clouds hang above, the moon already shone. The clock was about to hit 6, meaning they would leave for the repetitive dates they had. It’s funny how most dates they shared was ever so close to the word “Enjoyable” but now she couldn’t be more devastated of going through another night.

 

She found herself in front of the door that was separating her and Jessica. Contemplating on whether to softly knock and finally voice out the words and questions she’s been dying to have answers for, or just stay quiet and let herself love Jessica as if that was enough for the sadness to subside.

 

Choosing the second option, probably it was what her heart can bear. Maybe, just maybe it was a better option than the latter. With pretending not to notice anything, it would be safer than ever, or at least there wouldn’t be a possibility of having to cut what they have. She planned to retreat back to where she was sulking before, but before she could do so, the door opened, revealing Jessica who was neatly dressed, clad in a dress and a pair of heels she wore on the previous night.

 

Words want to come out when she was finally in her sight, but only silence wrapped them. Tiffany doesn’t have a clue on why Jessica still had the thought of going. After the fight they had yesterday, and the blonde not saying a single apology of any type, they weren’t in good terms for sure, then why go on to the double date? She held her grudge and kept coming her way towards her room, expecting Jessica would ask why she wasn’t dressed, why didn’t she prepare, why was she going back and lock herself up again. She expected something.

 

Hold my waist, tell me you love me, say that you miss me, whisper and say that I’m yours and your mine.

 

Say something, do something.

 

Anything.

 

But the door clicked once again, shoes shuffled, then it ended with yet another click.

 

Signaling the other left the apartment.

 

She didn’t dress up for the date, she dressed up to leave.

 

With no words.

But left with a broken heart.

 

No need to Say.

 

Tiffany finds it ironic how that was supposed to be their line to each other.

No need to Say, because you already know. But now she despised the saying.

 

What was Jessica trying to say?

 

I love someone else?

Move on, I’m not worth it?

I’m sorry?

 

She’ll never know.

 

--

It’s been a week. Week of worries, tears running from now and then, waiting. Waiting for someone that wasn’t sure to ever come back. Occasionally going out to relatives, close friends, anyone who would’ve known the whereabouts of Jessica, but still, nothing was found.

 

She’s been calling, and the same voice with the same sentence always greets her. 

 

Sorry, but the number you have dialed is not in service.

 

The saddest goodbyes were the ones that was never said.

Tiffany finally knew its meaning, along with how it felt.

 

Leaving you hanging like thread, were they over? Was that it? Cut, broke, shattered, is that what they are now?

 

But even so, Tiffany couldn’t grasp what happened, she kept repeating and repeating everything in her mind, just like how you’d open a book and analyze each page, finding an answer, why and how it happened. They were in love, confessions were said resulting to their relationship, the spark was fading, why did it fade? She didn’t know either.

 

She was feeling everything, with the exception of happiness.

 

Tired, hurt, depressed, nervous. She was slowly starting to get used to it. But even though everyone would think it was Jessica’s fault. In Tiffany’s point of view, it wasn’t Jessica at fault.

 

It was her.

 

Her. Her. Her.

 

The blame was on her. From the very start, Stephanie knew, that Sooyeon was different from anybody else. To Sooyeon, if the relationship wasn’t like how it was from the start, before she gets hurt and takes the responsibility to glue them back together, she’ll leave without saying a word.

 

Which was what Jessica exactly did, to Tiffany’s point of view.

 

And here they are now.

 

One was hurting, and the other one was lost, emotionally and physically.

 

--

Light footsteps scampered all over the apartment, when Jessica left, she must’ve left a note of somesort, Tiffany believed Jessica wouldn’t leave without a notice. She believed that the word “us” still existed and was still alive.

 

She believed that they weren’t over.


She believed that Jessica won’t leave her.

 

All the words of encouragement telling her to move on was ignored. Though her heart wasn’t at the best state, even at its worst, if she could find a piece of paper with writings somewhere, her mind might slowly follow what everybody tells her to do, and perhaps the broken heart would tag along and ride the “move-on train” as her friends called it, letting the broken pieces fit back together along the way.

 

She looked everywhere, but she found none. As expected.

 

She was pathetic, hoping when the hope was already crushed without her noticing. She believed this, believed that, but never believed that the word “over” was in the dictionary.

 

Slightly peering over the room that belonged to Jessica that was untouched for days, she let herself in. The appearance, how the furniture was placed was foreign to her now. She quietly observed every single part of the room. And not surprisingly, she was yet disappointed again. About to leave with a lungful sigh, the corner of her eyes landed on a familiar object.

 

It was Jessica’s cellphone.

 

Without second thoughts, she quickly took a hold of the phone and with one swipe the last conversation was the first one to greet her.

 

 

Taeyeon, I can’t take this anymore. Not with this big guilt on my shoulders.Apologizing to Tiffany, that’s all I do, but what happens? It keeps on repeating doesn’t it?

Let’s forget what we had, let’s forget the nights of pleasure we shared, let’s forget everything.

 

Everything finally made sense.

 

Jessica was never tounge-tied in any way

 

Taeyeon likes to be kissed on the lips.

Taeyeon’s favorite song was The Way.

Taeyeon would always love the feeling of being hugged from behind.

Taeyeon loves it when her neck was marked.

 

Tiffany never knew who the girl was, but wasn’t it mocking that she already knew several things about the girl?

In the eyes of Tiffany, every fact Jessica said, she didn’t think about her. She thought about Taeyeon.

 

She knew so so much about Taeyeon, while she didn’t know a single fact about her lover.

And that’s how Tiffany’s world went crashing down.

 

--

“Tiffany?”

 

Her knuckles lightly hitting the door. Only sobs would be heard, nothing else.

 

“Tiffany.” She called out once more, firmly this time, but still she was ignored, perhaps not heard, but nevertheless the door didn’t open.

 

She ruffled her hair out of frustration, “Tiffany. If you’re not going to let me in at least hear what I’m going to say.”

 

“It’s been three months already. She’s gone to God knows where. I spoke to Yoona and all she said was Jessica kept texting her by using a new number, probably brought a new cellphone, badly wanting to know your condition, which we always reply that you’re okay, your fine, you’re at the peak of your life, even though you really aren’t. I’d bet my car she’s already sent more than a hundred texts for the past months. And as one who thinks was involved and started this whole argument I feel really bad alright? We should’ve started the game. Now If you could just talk to someone rather than shoving yourself in that room of yours then that’d be great.”

 

“Leave me alone, Yuri.”

 

“Would you at least unlock that damn door of yours even once?!”

 

With a minute of silence, the door clicked, signaling that it wasn’t locked anymore,

 

 “Now that’s more like it”
 

--

“Is she eating well?”

“Did she talk to you?”

“Does she have someone by her side right now?”

 

Jessica Jung.
You’re a big fat coward, not only that but you’re a liar as well. How much stupidity could you acquire? You’ve been texting numerous messages, why not just face her? 

 

The blonde mentally scolded herself. It was true. Liar, coward, that’s the best way to describe her. The bitterness of the coffee swirled around her tongue before setting the cup down and grazing at the lifeless mirror that showed her reflection.

 

Just staring at the piece of glass, her face was horrid, hair tousled, tears settling down on the fabric of the couch, it made her pity herself like never before.

 

Was this the great Jessica Jung?

Was this the Jessica Jung everybody was dying to be?

Was this the life everyone would love to be in?

 

If it is, then there must be something wrong with her, because she didn’t like it one bit.

 

--

Jessica went ahead and entered the house that she hadn’t stepped on since her parents left. When she was called and asked to join the dinner, she was more than anxious. It’s been a while since she talked to them. 

“Ms. Jung, Soojung is already upstairs and finished her meal, Mr and Mrs. Jung patiently waited for you to show up.”

“Oh, is that so. Then, I’ll go and meet them up now.”

-

“Jessica?”

“Mom, Dad. Good morning.”

 

Their family had formalities. To them, the greeting “Mom! Dad! I missed you so much!” along with a bear hug, was never formal, therefore it was never done.

“Good morning as well. You’re probably wondering why we’re here and why we called you up.”

 

“It explains my point on why I came.”

 

“Well then. You’ll be moving to Japan, cut off connections with your lover if you ever have one at the moment.”

 

Hearing this, Jessica shot up, “What do you mean cut off? Moving to Japan? And since when did I ever agree to these conditions? As far as I’m concerned, I’m no longer living on your roof, nor did I ever. I’m already considered as an adult, therefore you can’t just make me do things like what you do to Krystal.”

 

“Sooyeon.”
 

“Jessica is the Name. And Never would I agree to such a thing.”

 

“Fine then. Jessica Jung, Let’s face reality. Your name is a brand. You yourself knows you’re not like everybody else. Jessica Jung was the name you were born with, a name that once was heard, positive comments would come up because you’re the heiress, of a company that was far from the word small.”

 

“Japan is where you’ll be staying, practicing every single detail and fact that should be known to a heiress, practicing mannerism, learning how to deal with business, and as time comes, the corporation would be yours.”

 

“What about Tiffany?!”

 

“So, Tiffany’s the name, I like it. It’s pretty. But even so, she needs to go.”

 

“Say whatever you want, I’ll never go and join your evil little industry.” She said taking her bag and was ready to leave. She had enough of this nonesense

 

“Even if Tiffany’s life would be on the line?”

 

She immediately stopped her tracks.

 

“You’d never—

 

“Would you like to see me try?”

 

Only silence was heard.

 

“That’s what I thought. I’ll give you at least 5 months, I’ll let you to do whatever you want, but once the 5 months are over, you and Tiffany, would have to take a visit to splitsville.”

 

--

She planned the whole thing. Setting up Yuri and Yoona to ask them out for dinner, having the game set up, purposely saying the wrong answers, making Tiffany feel unloved, wanting to let Tiffany know that their spark was slowly fading, buying another sim card and texting that number, as she came up with the name, “Taeyeon” and placed it on her bed for Tiffany to read, as well as the apologies of the 3 fights they had and never saying sorry on the fourth night to indirectly tell Tiffany that she didn’t love her anymore.

 

It was all staged.

 

She wanted Tiffany to hate her, hate her like she’s somebody that was not worthy of living, she didn’t want Tiffany to miss her while she was in Japan, she wanted to ignite a fire like anger towards her.

 

She couldn’t fight for Tiffany, so what gave her the right to be loved by her.

 

She begged for both Yoona and Yuri’s cooperation, to make sure Tiffany’s safe in the arms of another, even if her heart clenches and multiple droplets of tears would fall, Tiffany deserves to be Happy, than to sulk for loving a Jung.

 

Yuri lied when she said to Tiffany, she texted back to Jessica and said she was okay. Every single detail of what Tiffany was really doing was reported to the blonde. And with every detail, her heart keeps on being pierced by thousands of thorns.

 

She was scared of what her father could possibly do, and she couldn’t risk the chances, but yet again, she made a mistake in which she’d regret.

 

Regret. Regret. Regret. But did regretting do anything? No, I’m afraid it didn’t.

 

She should’ve just confronted Tiffany about the matter, but no, she handled it herself. She could’ve said to Tiffany to make their relationship a secret, and tell her father that everything was cut off, how would he know anyways right? But no, she was terrified and played safe.

 

She literally took her father’s orders seriously.

She did cut off what she had with Tiffany, but Tiffany didn’t leave her heart.

 

A lot would’ve said, then why don’t you just call her, and explain everything that happened. She’d love to do that- not. It wouldn’t be practical if Tiffany believed her right away. Not after the show she put up with her colleagues, practically saying to Tiffany the she cheated even though she really didn’t. As the saying goes, “If she/he did it the first time, then she/he could do it again.” And Tiffany was very fond of that line. To be honest, it would be almost like a joke if she explained everything.

 

Breaking her heart and letting her believe lies then calling her up saying you’re in a different country and everything was set up, while begging mercilessly while repeating that it was all a big mistake and you loved her so much.

 

Wouldn’t it be a little too absurd if she believed it?

 

Cheating was not a little issue or matter. It would always slice that trust you two once shared. It would take time to regain the called trust, but as for Tiffany, it would never regain at all, she felt unloved, and with the text she saw, everything was clear as day that she was toyed.

 

A Time machine was what Jessica perfectly needed, it would bring her back to where she first saw Tiffany’s smile, it would bring her back to where they first met, the first kiss they shared, the I love you and I miss you phrases, she could’ve stop the planning of letting Tiffany believe every lie she made up, It would go back to the same day she saw tiffany standing in front of her door retreating back to her room, she could’ve said Goodbye.

 

It would go back to where Tiffany still loved her.

 

But the such thing never existed.

 

Without having the Time machine and after having negative feelings creeping up their bodies, they realized maybe it was a sign. A sign that they were meant for each other, but they met and fall in love at the wrong time. Or maybe they weren’t meant for each other at all.

 

Because if the Time Machine were real, they could’ve been together and none of this would happen. But there wasn’t a Time Machine at all, and only fate was by their side, and fate destined them to be apart.

 

It was a clear sign that they met because lessons would be and should be learned. Like how Jessica should’ve fought for Tiffany, or how Tiffany should’ve voiced out her thoughts.

 

They loved each other, there was no doubt about that, but sometimes, things would end up how you don’t want it to be, but that’s how fate said it was supposed to be.

 

And fate would always win, thought you were against it you had no choice.

 

--

After several months, she did as what she was told. She did train, and now she was one of the most successful people not only in Korea but can be considered success full all around the world, and she wasn’t complaining one bit.

 

A ring was heard throughout the apartment and Jessica took no second thoughts and immediately picked up the phone, “Hello?”

 

“Jessica! Tiffany’s interested in someone, a someone named…” Yuri drifted off snapping her fingers in the process but failed to remember the not-so-hard-to-memorize-name “What is it again Yoona? Siwan? Oh, Siwon. She’s seeing Siwon now a days. He looks like a fine young man, and guess what? Tiffany went out of her room after 6 months already!”

 

Jessica genuinely smiled, “Really? Is she happy then?” She asked setting her coffee to the side, the grin not leaving her face.

 

Finally. Tiffany was moving on.

 

“Well, she’s gotten better at least. She smiles now, eats even if I didn’t remind her, and the old Tiffany was slowly coming back. That’s good right?” Yuri questioned while faint laughs were coming from her girlfriend.

 

Jessica managed to hear the sounds and chuckled as well, “Right.”

 

“But are you really not going to show your face anymore?”

 

Without further contemplation, she already knew the answer, “I think it’s not a good choice to suddenly pop up if she’s already starting to move on.” She retorted while looking throughout her schedules of the day.

 

Surprisingly, work wasn’t all that bad, she still doesn’t have that good of a relationship with her parents, but besides that everything was going smoothly.

 

“I get that, but doesn’t she at least deserve to know the truth?”

 

“She does deserve to know it, of course. But I think it’s not the right time. If she’s already gotten over me, and everything I do doesn’t affect her, then I guess I’ll tell her somehow.”

 

“Fine, whatever floats your boat. And I don’t know if this is a bad thing or a good thing but I saw that newspaper you were on. “Jung Jessica, the heiress of Jung Corp dominating the world”. So what, you’re a dictator now?”

 

“Maybe?”

 

“Yah.”

 

“Just kidding! I have tons of meetings to attend to already, and this new guy just asked me to go and have dinner with him, so I’ll call you later?”

 

“Sure, you could call me anytime, just be sure to take care okay? Bye Jessica!”

 

“Hm. Bye!” After saying the goodbyes, Jessica compiled her papers and was about to take her leave to enjoy another day that was waiting for her, but when she approached the door, a sudden knock was heard.

 

She opened the door and to her surprise the boy who asked her out was already at her doorstep but it wasn’t even yet dinner time.

 

He had a rose in one hand and a box of chocolates in the other while barely looking up to Jessica.

 

“Donghae, I thought it was dinner?” She teased, giggling because of how the boy acted,

 

“Well, can we make it as lunch then?” He shyly asked rubbing the nape of his neck.

 

“Sure, why not?”

 

And that’s when another chapter of Jessica’s life started.

 

--

Tiffany knew Jessica cheated, but it’s better to let it be that way.

 

After all, everything was done, and it was done for a reason.

 

At the end of the day, both Jessica and Tiffany were hurt, but they knew another side of them.

 

Another side that would bring them up to stand on their own feet again and be better than the person they were before.

 

They were thought lessons.

And those lessons would never be forgotten.

 

Sure, the lesson was learned in an odd way, but they couldn’t have learned it better in any other way.

 

 

 

They loved each other,

 

And that’s one thing that they’d never

 

regret.

 

 

 

--

 

Tadaah. Well, that was long. It’s my last shot so I should at least put some effort in it yeah? I’m still new to this type of writing so please bear with me here. OTL

I wanted a happy ending, so a happy ending it is. But not the type of happy ending everyone would love, like Jessica and Tiffany being together. I originally planned this to be an angst. Like, with bitter feelings and just create another shot but with an alternative ending, but an idea came to my mind though, so here’s the result. Pardon the different moods. I know this wasn’t pure angst, I had my ipod on shuffle so it sometimes would go to party songs, then it would affect everything. =/

Little actions and symbolisyms were in here, like the scene between Yuri and Tiffany, Tiffany unlocked the door yes? meaning she's taking a step towards moving on. And the line " From the very start, Stephanie knew, that Sooyeon was different from anybody else." blah blah, it said Sooyeon was a player, but then take a look at the part where Jessica was reprimanded by her father, she was called, "Sooyeon" but she retorted, and said "Jessica" was her name, because she wasn't a player anymore. Just analyze it and you'll find lots. haha. I'll proofread this tomorrow because I'm drained at the moment. OTL

 So yeah, Comments, subs (I might make an epilogue) (and maybe an upvote? :>) would be highly appreciated! ^^