-1-

Maid For 12

I’m the mysterious maid who everyone talks about in this castle. I’m the mysterious maid who doesn’t talk to anyone or try to have interaction with others. I’m the mysterious maid who has no name, no status, and no memory of anything. No one was able to give me answer that I want so I don’t bother talking to them. Everyone thinks that I am one of those people who are cocky but that’s wrong. I just don’t want to show my emotions because I don’t want to be attached to others when I don’t even know anything about myself.

Everyday, maids are assigned to different places and different positions so we get use to the castle and know what happens everyday. I was assigned to all places and positions except for taking care of the princes but I never question them. Today, my position in the castle is to clean the king’s study room. Though all maids despise this position, I like this position the most . I heard other maids say taking care of the princes is the best job but the hardest. I never got that position yet so I don’t know if I’ll like that position more than this one. 

I knock on the door and walk in slowly, knowing that the king is inside. “Good morning my Lord. I am in charge of cleaning the study room today.” The King didn’t look up but he said something. “You better do a good job around the area with books because the last maid who did it, did a horrible job.” I bowed to him and I started cleaning.

I never notices things when I start working, that’s why I never know if maids talk behind my back if we are assigned  to the same place. I couldn’t reach most of the book shelves due to my short height so I have to climb the ladder that’s next to me. I don’t know how high I climbed but I don’t care cause I’m not acrophobic. I didn’t want to climb down and move the ladder so I stretch as far as I could while balancing.

 While that happened, I accidentally brush a book that was blocking me from cleaning the other side and the book fell. The sound echoed through the whole room and I have to climb down to pick it up before the king yells. I picked up the book and dust it. I looked at the king but he wasn’t alone. The 12 princes were all looking at me and Prince Suho was pointing at me. I was confused and I bowed to making a ruckus. “You, come here.” I point at myself and they nod. I slowly walk towards them looking at the ground. 

“Father, we will choose her.” Wait, what is happening here. What am I chosen for? I have a lot of questions in my head but I couldn’t ask because I’m not allowed to. “Are you sure? I’m pretty sure she never got assigned to be with you guys. She has no experience serving you guys.” The King made it sound like I’m stupid and don’t know how to serve someone… “We don’t mind, it’s not like we remember any maids to tell them to come with us. The maid would be someone random anyway. Why not just get the closest maid here?” I have no idea what they are saying so I stood there waiting for them to explain to me.

“Maid, you are going to follow the princes on an adventure. You will be travelling with them and not interfere with what they do. You are there to cook and serve them. If they tell you to do someone, don’t ask questions and just do it. I trust that you will do a good job or the princes will just leave you out there.” I nod at the King’s command. “You guys will leave tomorrow morning so go and prepare.” The 12 princes left the room and I stood there, waiting for more orders. “Maid, I know the princes are hard to serve so I’m warning you beforehand. Now, go to your room and pack the things you will need on this adventure. I won’t tell you what it is but if the princes told you, you must keep it a secret.” I nod and was about to leave when the King called me again. “You need to wake the princes up tomorrow.” I bow and left. I heard from a lot of maids when we have breaks that it’s impossible to wake up the princes. It’s either they wake up by themselves or do stupid things that would make the princes angry.

~

Today's the day. The day where I am out of my comfort zone and out to the real world. But before all that happens, I have to wake the princes up. I decide to wake them up by age because that might be easier considering them being older. I knock Prince Xiumin’s door and as expected, no answer from him. I open the door slowly and walk towards him. “Prince Xiumin, please wake up.” I can’t  touch him because that’s forbidden. I’ve been standing there for 5 minutes and I don’t know what to do. I decide to blow his ears. Maybe he would wake up to that feeling. I backed up a bit because he starts to move and open his eyes. 

“Please get ready while I wake up the other princes.” I turn around and was about to leave but he stopped me. “How did you wake me up?” “Um…I blew wind to your ears.” I didn’t turn around because I’m afraid to see his expression. I heard him mumble to himself but I just walked out. 

Apparently, all princes woke up the same way as Prince Xiumin and that’s kind of creepy. They all start to mumble when I told them how I woke them up. I ignore all the weird looks from the princes and I gather their belongings. They don’t have a lot of things but they are heavy. Luckily, I was given a wagon to carry them but they have horses while I have to walk. “Maid, hurry up!” Easy for them to say that. They don’t have to walk and drag a bunch of luggage behind them. “Neh, Prince Kai.” I was panting heavily and they were casually chatting. Though I have to admit, I want to know my past so I know if I am a long-lost princess so I don’t have to suffer anymore. 

Without seeing civilization for hours, we finally see a village. The village was small but it has everything you need. The princes booked 12 rooms for themselves in the hotel and ignore me. Not like I want to stay in the same place as them, I walk out and found a nearby motel that doesn’t cost me. I know I have to wake earlier than the princes tomorrow so I didn’t bother sleeping since it’s already midnight.

I walk out of my room and walk around the village. It looks like normal villages but I have a weird feeling about this village. I want to explore more but I’m afraid I might go too far away. I look at the building with a clock on it and realize it’s almost 6am. I went in my room and gather everything and thank the owner for the stay. He offer me food so I took a bun with me. I look at the hotel entrance and see the princes standing there looking annoyed. “Where were you?!” Prince Tao’s expression is scary and I couldn’t look any longer. “WE were waiting for YOU and shouldn’t it be the opposite?!” I bowed to them and the horses came. They got the horses to speed up and I couldn’t catch up. I want to shout at them but I might get a bigger punishment than this. 

I finally caught up with the princes but they were just there not moving. I look in front of them and realize that there are people blocking them. “Move.” “Not unless you give me the thing.” “We don’t have the thing so move.” The guys were whispering to each other and one of them saw me. “Well, since you don’t have the thing you can give me the girl behind you.” The princes turned around and look at me. “No, she is our property.” Wow that hurts. “Why don’t we just fight since you won’t give us anything.” They all took out their swords and start to fight. I was just standing there, not knowing what to do. “Ya! Maid do something!” I learned how to fight but I never actually fight before so I don’t know what to do. 

One guy is creeping behind Prince Sehun so I grabbed the closest thing which was a branch and throw it at the guy. There was no affect but I caught his attention. He ran towards me and he grabbed my collar. I wasn’t chocking but he lift me up so I couldn’t touch the ground. Without him knowing, I kneed his thing and he dropped me. I look at the princes and realize everyone on the other side was down and the princes barely have a scratch on them. The princes were staring at me but they ignore me and we continue our journey.