Coming to Terms With Reality

It's Always Been You and I

            “I honestly didn’t expect you all to accept me so easily.” Mira said with a little laugh.

 

            “Well it’s hard not to…” Jongup smiled as he stared at Himchan.

 

            Youngjae followed Jongup’s gaze to see Himchan glaring at them all as he held Mira’s waist, helping her stand so she didn’t have to use her crutches.

 

            Youngjae sighed. “I don’t see why you would lie at this point. From what I heard about the accident it was pretty clear that you had given up your past ways.”

 

            “Also, it probably helps that in the short time you were…gone, Yongguk gave Zelo lie detector software. Right, Jae?” Daehyun laughed and smiled at Youngjae.

 

           “Sure. Hey Yongguk, are there still sodas in your refrigerator? Or I guess I should be asking Himchan.” Youngjae didn’t wait for a response as he made his way over to the fridge at the far side of the room, but more importantly far away from Daehyun.

 

            Youngjae knew what he was doing was wrong but he hadn’t been given a break to think about his feelings and options since Wednesday night and it was already Saturday. If it wasn’t for Yongguk ordering him to come home since Himchan was depressed over Mira’s death, which actually didn’t happen, then he might have stayed at school to study more. With his thoughts divided his study time had not been very productive. It didn’t help that Daehyun seemed to always find him just as he had been able to force his emotions to the back of his mind so he could concentrate.

 

            He opened the refrigerator door and blankly looked in, forgetting what excuse he had used to leave the group. ‘Was I grabbing soda or a water bottle? Which would I have said? Water is more like me but I feel like I said soda…’

 

            The door was pushed out of his hands, startling him. Youngjae looked up just as Himchan started pulling him away.

 

            “Himchan, what the hell? I was getting a drink.”

 

            “Right.” Himchan rolled his eyes.

 

            Youngjae looked over at the group as he continued protesting to see that they were crowded around Mira asking her questions about anything and everything. Of course, Youngjae’s eyes lingered upon Daehyun the most who was smiling at her brightly. There was something different about him that Youngjae hadn’t noticed within the past few days. Before he was able to deduce what it was, Himchan pushed him into a backroom containing only a table and a few chairs and slammed the door.

 

            “Him—“ Yongjae’s eyes widened. “Both of you?”

 

            “Yes.” Yongguk stared at Youngjae with his arms crossed. “It’s time we had a talk.”

 

            Youngjae gulped. ‘Something serious must be going on…’

 

            “What’s going on?” Youngjae asked as he fell into a chair.

 

            “That’s what we wanted to ask you.” Himchan said as both he and Yongguk sat across from Youngjae.

 

            “Me? What?” Youngjae looked between the two older boys. “I’m confused…”

 

            “Since when did you start ignoring Daehyun?” Himchan asked. “When I called you on Wednesday everything seemed fine between you two.”

 

            “And why?” Yongguk added.

 

            “I…I…” Youngjae sat there lost for words and looked down at his lap.

 

            Himchan’s annoyed expression softened as he looked at the confused Youngjae. “Did you not realize how much pain you were putting Daehyun in?”

 

            Youngjae’s head snapped up. “What?”

 

            “Youngjae, he told us that you barely exchanged 5 words on the drive here… it’s a three hour car ride…” Yongguk’s eyes bore holes into Youngjae, forcing the younger to look away.

 

            “He’s confused and in pain.” Himchan explained to Youngjae.

 

            Youngjae frowned. “I didn’t mean to hurt him. I just… I need… I don’t know…”

 

            Himchan and Yongguk exchanged knowing glances before Yongguk sighed. “We never do when we are trying to protect ourselves, but this is Daehyun. Do you really think he would hurt you? Perhaps turn you down, but he would make it as painless as possible and wouldn’t stop being your friend.”

 

            “Not helping.” Himchan elbowed Yongguk in the side when he saw Youngjae gain hope and then lose it immediately. “Look Jae, I’m sure Daehyun likes you but has just never thought of you as an option before.”

 

            “Why?” Youngjae asked curiously.

 

            “Because… because…” Himchan shrugged. “I’m just guessing here. There is no way for me to know what is in his head.”

 

            Youngjae groaned and threw his head back to stare at the ceiling. “What should I do? Tell him?”

 

            “That’s really something you have to decide for yourself.” Yongguk said. “But either way I think you should at least explain to Daehyun that you don’t hate him, because that’s what he is thinking now.”

 

            “But I—“

 

            Ryan slammed open the door, breathing harder than normal. “Monsters. We got an alert about monsters downtown.”

 

            The boys rose from their seats and rushed for the door before the words had finished leaving his mouth. Yongguk stopped Youngjae before they left the room and gave him a serious look.

 

            “We aren’t done.”

 

            Youngjae nodded. “I’ll figure something out.”

 

            Yongguk squeezed the younger’s shoulder before shouting out instructions, getting everyone battle ready.

 

            “Why can’t I come?” Ryan asked, feeling annoyed.

 

            “I need you here, just in case.” Yongguk gingerly placed his hands on Ryan’s shoulders. “I’m sorry… maybe next time.”

 

            “I just don’t understand how I could possibly help from here.” Ryan huffed.

 

            “By watching me, obviously.” Mira stated.

 

            Himchan glared at Yongguk but quickly looked down, knowing that it was still way too early for Mira to be trusted.

 

            “I won’t say I’m sorry but…”

 

            Mira sighed. “I understand Yongguk. If anything I should be sorry. I’d say I would help Ryan here but what if I promise to just stay by the phone and away from the computers.”

 

            Ryan groaned. “I really can’t believe this right now.”

 

            “Hey.” Isi crossed her arms and glared at the older people. “Monsters remember? We have to jet!”

 

            “Isi is right.” Himchan said. “Let’s go.”

 

            Himchan hugged Mira and Yongguk kissed Ryan’s cheek and whispered promises of how he would ask for forgiveness later before the led the rest of the team out to the van. Zelo rushed after them, spending and extra minute to hug Bora.

 

            “Why is it every time Jae and I come home a monster is here to greet us?” Daehyun complained.

 

            “Maybe they are looking for you.” Himchan teased as they hopped into the van.

 

            “We haven’t had to fight even once at campus!” Daehyun scoffed.

 

            “Actually there was once.”  Youngjae corrected while taking his seat by the window.

 

            He looked over and saw Daehyun’s face break into a smile before he climbed in and sat beside him. “There was once.”

 

            ‘Have I really been ignoring Daehyun so much that I missed the signs of how sad he was? When was the last time I saw this bright of a smile from him?’

 

            “Youngjae?” Daehyun asked cautiously. Youngjae blinked and looked away, noticing that he had been staring.

 

            “Sorry.”

 

            “We’re taking off now.” Himchan warned before he slammed his foot down on the gas.

 

            “Ryan, can you get us all green lights on our way there?” Yongguk asked into his phone. “Thanks.”

 

            ‘I definitely forgot about how dangerous Himchan’s driving could be.’ Youngjae thought as they sped down the street.

 

            “Are you not driving incredibly fast, Himchan?” Zelo asked.

 

            “We left late.” Himchan said behind gritted teeth, trying to maintain control of the car.

 

            Himchan took a corner too fast and Youngjae found himself thrown into Daehyun.

 

            “Woah, you okay?” Daehyun asked as he helped Youngjae right himself.

 

            “Yeah.” Youngjae hesitated as he looked at Daehyun. His shoulder burned where Daehyun’s hand was touching and Youngjae’s eyes were transfixed upon the face he had deprived himself from seeing for days. Thinking back on it, it had been the longest time Youngjae and Daehyun hadn’t talked more than a few words together.

 

            “Hey Dae, you know….“ Youngjae sighed and looked away. ‘This is definitely not the right time.’

 

            “What’s up, Jae?” Daehyun asked seriously.

 

            “Just… be safe out there, okay?”

 

            Daehyun laughed and pinched Youngjae’s cheek. “Yah, you think just because I haven’t fought in a while that I’ll be rusty? I’ll be fine. You are the one who needs to be careful.”

 

            Daehyun leaned over and hugged Youngjae. If Youngjae hadn’t been sure about his feelings before this, now he would have known for sure. The way he melted into Daehyun’s hold, how he relaxed and let his mind clear, and how he smiled unconsciously just by being in Daehyun’s arms were clear signs that he had fallen in love with his best friend. Sooner or later he would have to tell him, but timing was important.

 

            “You’re the one who should be careful.” Daehyun teased, smiling brightly since Youngjae was talking to him once again.

 

            “We’ll see now, won’t we?”

 

            “Power up!” Yongguk called out. “Monster in sight.”

 

            Youngjae sighed as Daehyun pulled away.

 

            Himchan pulled into a side street where no one was looking and everyone piled out of the vehicle, fully transformed. They wasted no time as they rushed out onto the street, everyone following after Yongguk and Himchan who were leading the way. Youngjae gulped as he laid eyes on the gigantic monster in front of them.

 

            It was a clay brown color and slimy to make it look like it was made out of runny clay. The monster was tall enough to look over small buildings and had a roar strong enough to make trees shake. The monster had strength to match his height and was picking up humans from the ground effortlessly before throwing them around.

 

            “It’s been a long time…” Youngjae said quietly.

 

            Daehyun somehow heard Youngjae and patted his arm while running. “Don’t worry Jae, we’ll get through this like always.”

 

            Before Youngjae could tell Daehyun thanks for the encouragement, Yongguk was throwing out commands. Usually Youngjae would be by his side giving strategy advice but since he didn’t know much about Isi’s abilities or how much the group had improved he would have to be more observant today instead.

 

            The high school students ran towards the monster, Isi already had her guns out and was shooting at the monster trying to slow it down. Yongguk and Himchan were circling around while the younger ones distracted it, preparing to attack it from behind. Daehyun pulled his katana free and ran forward trying to find a way to the monster’s arm. Youngjae stayed back like Isi, but on the opposite side, and shot his blaster guns at the monster’s chest.

 

            ‘Where is your weakness?’ Youngjae thought to himself as he continued to fight off rounds at the monster.  Youngjae may not have been firing his gun rapidly like Isi or attacking as quickly as Zelo but he was watching every move his group made and the effects they had on the clay-like monster. It seemed everything they did was useless and the monster would heal itself.

 

            ‘To what degree is it’s healing power? There has to be a spot where it would heal…’ Youngjae began shooting at different parts of the body.

 

            It was then that Yongguk and Himchan slashed at the monsters hands simultaneously from the back as Jongup and Daehyun attacked them from the front. Daehyun cheered as the hands fell to the ground into a puddle and the monster roared.

 

            “Good job, guys!” Isi yelled.

 

            “I’m not sure.” Youngjae mumbled.

 

            Just like Youngjae suspected, the runny substance flowed down and reshaped hands. The puddles of the chopped off hands started vibrating and Youngjae grew worried.

 

            “The puddles! Watch out!” Youngjae screamed as he ran forward. 

 

            The one close to Jongup and Zelo quickly rose up, taking form, and was about to strike at the boys when Youngjae got a shot off at it. A screeching whine left its mouth as it feel back to the ground, seemingly melting from the blast that had hit it straight through the eye.

 

            “Shoot for the eyes!” Isi called out for Youngjae who was still trying to reach the puddle near Daehyun’s feet.

 

            “Daehyun!” Youngjae screamed out as the puddle formed into a miniature version of the thing Daehyun was slicing at.

 

            Daehyun turned around just in time to raise his hands up in a guard position to block his face, but still he was flung backwards. Daehyun grunted as he hit a piece of rubble and slid to the ground.

 

            “Daehyun!” Youngjae shot off round after round at the clayed figure as he continued to run closer and looked around for help but everyone else was too far away.

 

            When a click came from his gun instead of a laser blast, Youngjae threw his gun at the miniture monster, stalking closer to Daehyun who was trying to rise up to his feet.  The gun’s impact only had the shorter, but still Daehyun’s height, clay monster scratch its head.

 

            Daehyun had finally gotten onto his wobbling legs, the pain in his back making it hard for him to hold his sword or stand, just as the monster pulled its arm back, getting ready to punch.

 

            ‘No!’ Youngjae gritted his teeth and with his last burst of speed launched himself forward and pushed Daehyun out of the way. He stumbled forward though, unbalanced from the running and then pushing Daehyun, and was unable to move at all before the monster’s fist hit him square in the chest.

 

            Youngjae hit the rubble behind him hard. He could feel the blood already dripping down his face from where his head had made contact with the asphalt mix behind him. He was unprepared for the next punch and then proceeding kick that seemed to press him further into the rock behind him.

 

            “Youngjae!” Daehyun shouted.

 

            Youngjae was given time to fall to his knees. His world was starting to blur as he looked up and saw Daehyun stab the monster through the eye.

 

            “Thank goodness.” Youngjae sighed. ‘You’re okay.’

 

            “Youngjae!” Daehyun dropped to his knees and caught Yougnjae before he hit the ground. Daehyun pulled off Youngjae’s helmet to check on him. “Why did you do that? I at least—“

 

            Daehyun stopped as Youngjae smiled and gently placed his hand on Daehyun’s white helmet. “How many times do you expect me to just sit by and watch my love get hurt?”

 

            “What--? Youngjae, no!”

 

            Youngjae fell into the darkness, knowing that the fight would be won now and Daehyun would be safe.


A/n: Hello! It's been a long time! How are you all?? I'm so sorry this took so long :(

Don't fret though! I'm editing the last segment right now~!

So... yeah let me go do that.... thanks for reading ^_^

 

ps. damn my title making ability is rusty -_-" sorry this one probably makes no sense....