Chapter 9

Submerged in a Twisted Musical

 

I woke up alone in my bed, my head throbbing and everything reeking of alcohol. I groaned and held the side of my head, squeezing my eyes shut, willing the pain to go away. Silently, Hankyung appeared before me looking exhausted as ever. I lifted my eyes tiredly up at him, only to close them at the sudden brightness coming from the windows behind him.

 

                He extended his hands out to me, holding a cup of water in one and an aspirin in the palm of the other.

 

                “I…I guessed you would have a headache in the morning. Here.” He spoke softly, almost tentatively. I narrowed my eyes at the loose but familiar sweater he was wearing that was currently slipping off of one shoulder.

 

                “That’s mine, isn’t it?” I spoke roughly, taking the cup of water and the aspirin. Hankyung quickly looked down at himself and scrambled for the hem of the gray sweater.

 

                “O-oh, yeah…it is…I’m sorry I’ll take it off right now. I was just cold a-and-”

 

                I sighed, really not wanting to deal with anything stressful today.

 

                “Keep it. I never wear it anyways. Just…don’t bother me, will you?”

 

                I stood up slowly, briefly noticing how Hankyung wouldn’t look up at me. His hands remained fidgeting against the bottom of the sweater. Honestly though, I just didn’t want to know why. I unsteadily made my way down the stairs and sat at the dining table, burying my head in my arms.

 

                “Hangovers .” I mumbled. A delicious smell then started filling the room, wafting into my nose. Reluctantly but curiously, I raised my head and saw a plate of steamed buns in front of me. I lazily lifted my eyes up to Hankyung again, but he only looked down at the table once our gazes met.

 

                “I made you breakfast too.”

 

                “Why are you acting so fidgety today?” I blurted, completely pushing away the fact that I didn’t want to bother with this. He tensed and looked up with hardened eyes.

 

                “Did you just completely forget what happened last night?”

               

                And in one moment, the memories from last night flashed through my mind. The way his lips felt against mine, the way his bare skin shuddered as my hand trailed across that particular spot on his hips, the heat and pleasure clouding my mind along with the alcohol…

 

                The way everything almost went too far.

 

                I reached for a steamed bun and bit into it, pretending to be nonchalant about the whole situation, and also pretending that the memory of kissing Hankyung didn’t make me shiver with excitement.

 

                “So we kissed. What’s the big deal?” My voice came out weaker than I expected. Hankyung suddenly scooted his chair back and stood up, his fists tightly clenched on top of the table. He was glaring down at me.

 

                “What’s the big deal? The big deal is that…” For some reason, Hankyung clamped his mouth shut and dug his nails into his palms. His eyes remained icy. With a huff he turned around, slammed the chair back into the table and walked away.

 

                “Never mind.”

 

                My head started pounding when I stood up, stumbling after him.

 

                “Hankyung, no. Not ‘never mind.’ What’s wrong?”

 

                I blamed the hangover for being so caring for him. I placed a hand on his shoulder, but he shrugged it off harshly.

 

                “I said never mind, Siwon.” He hissed, wrapping the sweater he was wearing tightly around him. I frowned, getting irked by his attitude. I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes at him.

 

                “You brought it up. Just tell me.”

 

                “No, Siwon. Let it go.”

 

                Han Geng began backing up, avoiding my gaze. With my head hurting and myself already being annoyed, I wasn’t amused and I wanted answers. And if Han Geng was purposely acting differently, there had to be a legitimate reason. I started

 

                “No, Geng, I’m not just going to let it go.”

 

                “Siwon, please, leave me alone.”

 

                My head was too fogged to realize that Han Geng was getting uncomfortable. I crossed my arms, staring down at him when he pressed himself against the refrigerator.

 

                “I’m not going to until you tell me what’s bothering you.”

 

                “Siwon, please!

 

                “No!”

 

                “Why are you being so stubborn about this?”

 

                “Why are you being so stubborn about not telling me?”

 

                “There’s nothing worth saying.”

 

                “The way you’re acting seems to say otherwise.”

 

                Han Geng shut his mouth and closed his eyes, inhaling deeply before letting it out. I gritted my teeth, knowing that I wasn’t going anywhere with this.

 

                “Geng, if you’re not going to speak to me you know that’s not going to-”

 

                Han Geng moved so quickly I could only blink when he gripped the front of my shirt and kissed me. My breath stuttered when I felt the familiar rush of heat mess with my already scrambled mind.

 

                Han Geng pulled away as soon as his lips briefly touched mine, letting out a shaky breath before pressing a hand on his hat. I widened my eyes, knowing he was going to teleport any second. I grabbed his hand, squeezing my eyes shut when I was pulled through that wall leading to wherever he was planning to go.

 

                Han Geng pulled away once again, stumbling on the roof that we landed on, fire burning in his eyes.

 

                “Don’t follow me this time.”

 

                “No, Geng.” I stated firmly, recovering and taking both his hands into mine. “You don’t just do something like that and leave!”

 

                “What do you want me to do?” He said, clearly frustrated, squirming in my grasp, but I only held on tighter.

 

                “Will you just explain?!”

 

                When Han Geng fell silent, I was working on my last nerve. I let out a frustrated cry that I didn’t know I was holding, running one of my hands through my hair.

 

                “God damn it, Geng, I don’t even know what to do anymore! You just…You’re so annoying and when you first came to me I hated you!”

 

                “Gee, Siwon, that really brightened up my day.” Han Geng spat, pulling away once more, only to let out a yelp when I pulled him close, huffing once.

 

                “Now, I like you, okay? And it wasn’t even supposed to happen.” I admitted with a low growl, watching his face go emotionless. I closed my eyes and sighed, knowing that I had the upper hand, and that I at least had his attention.

 

                “So…I don’t know…I just…have liked you for a while…I don’t know when it started or how, but I do…” I finally relaxed after letting that out of my system, watching Han Geng slowly light up in realization that I seemed to have miss. I was concentrating so hard I didn’t realize the wind beginning to pick up around us.

 

                “…It…it makes sense now.” Han Geng smiled slowly, pulling away, laughing almost unbelievably. I stepped closer, clueless to everything he was currently saying.

 

                “What…are you talking about, Geng?”

 

                “The reason why we’re still here! The original dilemma that the Chairman had told us about was your liking Taeyeon. But since you don’t anymore…the dilemma changed. This never happened before.” Han Geng was talking excitedly, raising his voice when the wind began howling. He looked around curiously for just a brief moment at the sudden weather change, holding down his hat before staring at me with a grin.

 

                I could only stare back in horror when a new realization dawned on me.

 

                “That means you guys are leaving…doesn’t it?”

 

                The smile on his face disappeared right when the words left my mouth. A horrid cold spread through my chest and I grabbed onto his hands desperately. I looked down at our hands in surprise. Something didn’t feel right.

 

                “…Geng?!” I could only choke on his name when I noticed the tips of his fingers begin disappearing. Han Geng widened his eyes, jerking his hands out of my grasp and holding them out in front of his face. The now frightened look in his eyes proved that he had no idea what was going on.

 

                “Geng, you’re leaving.” I spoke when the situation fully registered. “Geng…you’re leaving!” I reiterated it mostly to try to convince me more than Han Geng.

 

                All of a sudden Han Geng ran to me with full force, wrapping his arms around my waist and his head resting on my shoulder. When I heard his voice, there was fear and apprehension laced in his words.

 

                “Siwon, I don’t want to leave. I just can’t leave. Please, please don’t make me leave.”  He begged.

 

                I held him close to me and closed my eyes, knowing that I couldn’t stop whatever was going to happen. The wind around us picked up speed and I could feel his touch leaving though his presence was still there. There was no use in talking since we could barely even hear each other from the vociferous shrieks of the wind.

 

                “Geng…Geng…” I couldn’t say much more because a pair of lips were on mine, desperate and needy. I felt for his hands but they had already disappeared. I squeezed my eyes shut and prayed for him to never leave again as I held onto him in a useless grasp. He pulled away and smiled sadly, pressing his forehead on mine.

 

                “I’m not going to forget. I refuse to. I’m not going to forget.” He shut his eyes and muttered this over and over under his breath, and I could only stare in horror when the edges of his face were blurring, mixing with the background.

 

                “No, Geng…don’t…please!” As soon as the last word left my mouth, there was a deafening silence when the wind was gone. I was frozen with shock and I could only blink for a little while.

 

                Once I came to my senses, I could only register one single thing as I frantically turned around, searching for any sign of Han Geng having been there. It was a fruitless attempt.

 

                I was alone on the roof.