Chapter 7

Submerged in a Twisted Musical

I wounded up on a bench in a nearby park, shivering in the cold weather. I wrapped my jacket tighter around me and sighed, slightly surprised at the ghostly puff of air that I blew. It was already beginning to show signs of autumn. I groaned to myself, tilting my head back. I don’t think I was ready to go back to work. I was already dealing with enough problems.

 

               “Siwon?” I looked up at the curious voice. I peered through the frosty air and saw a very familiar figure standing in front of me. The man broke into a large smile and took a sip from the cup he was holding.

 

                “It is you!” He chuckled and sat down next to me. I sat straight and grinned back, nudging his arm in acknowledgement.

 

                “I haven’t seen you in a while Heechul. How’s it going?” Heechul laughed and threw one end of his scarf to the back.

 

                “Nothing much. I’m taking a break from my job. I’ve been working all year round.” He sighed, adjusting himself so his back was leaning against my shoulder.

 

                I met Heechul in grade school, and he was one of my best friends. We stayed in contact a lot through college, but I haven’t been seeing him that often, especially with the unexpected entrance of Hankyung and the others.

 

                “That’s an odd job…and also a pretty steady one. All year round? I thought you were working as a waiter…” Heechul lazily raised the cup to his lips and sighed.

 

                “Yeah…that ended when a customer was giving me a hard time, so I poured his drink over his head.” He smirked to himself. “And he was drinking hot coffee.” He added smugly. I rolled my eyes to myself.

 

                “You haven’t changed one bit Heechul.” I mused. He shrugged.

 

                “I mean it was okay. I was lucky enough to start working in a company, and now I’ve been promoted. Life’s pretty good right now.” I stole his cup, eliciting a cry from him. I breathed in the heavenly smell, warming my hands.

 

                “Where do you work?” He stole the cup right back from me.

 

                “Some company that’s kind of secret. Can’t tell you many details.” I scrunched my eyebrows together. The place that he worked at sounded even weirder as he kept explaining. Heechul rubbed his hands together and ran them up and down his arms.

 

                “So how are you?” I leaned back again, thoughts traveling back to the kiss last night. I pretended that my heart didn’t hammer against my rib cage just then.

 

                “…Pretty tired. I’ve got a lot of things going on in my life right now.”

 

                “Oh really now? Like what?”

 

                I opened my mouth to say something, but I automatically clamped it shut again. I so badly wanted to pour out all my troubles and difficulties to Heechul like I used to, but in this situation, I just couldn’t.

 

                “Nothing.” I murmured. I heard the last remnants of his drink being through the straw.

 

                “You know, when somebody says ‘nothing,’ it’s usually not nothing.”

 

                “And sometimes people should stay out of other people’s business.” Heechul stood up and chuckled softly.

 

                “Sorry, sorry…” I winced at the reminder of the song. “I guess you’re really stressed, aren’t you?” Heechul said, breathing little puffs of water vapor. I smiled tiredly and closed my eyes.

 

                “I guess I am.” He took out his phone, beeping away. He looked up and gave one of his smiles that crossed between support and sarcasm.

 

                “I’ve got to go now, but I know you’ll solve your problems soon. Just go with your instinct. And if that doesn’t work, I’m always here to help.” I laughed at his willingness and stood up, placing a friendly hand on his shoulder.

 

                “I have a feeling that you won’t be able to help me on this one.” He smirked and walked away, throwing out his cup in the process.

 

                “You never know!” He called over his shoulder. I stood there for a few seconds, reluctantly heading back home.

 

                I figured I stalled enough and there was no use freezing outside. Even so, I was unsure when I stood in front of the door of my house. I opened the door and looked around, not sensing any movement. I peeked into each of the rooms, but I didn’t find him. He was most likely still sleeping. A smile tugged on my lips at the thought of him sleeping in so late.

 

                I gently pushed open the door to my room, and sure enough, he was still passed out on my bed. I snorted to myself. For some odd reason, I went to my knees and placed my elbows on the mattress. He twitched once and hugged the pillow in his arms tighter. Something inside me detached when I saw his peaceful expression. I pressed my mouth against my hands, lowering my eyes to the hands resting on the pillow.

 

                His hands twitched again and slowly clenched into fists, making me step away. I heard him shift on the bed as I quietly closed the bedroom door behind me.

 

                Was I a wimp for not wanting to face him? Maybe I was, but no one could blame me after the previous night. I went downstairs and lay down on the couch, reaching for my book. However, I couldn’t concentrate on what I was reading because I could hear every single noise that came out of the room where Hankyung was sleeping. I could feel my chest tightening when I heard the steps creaking as Hankyung walked downstairs.

 

                “Good morning.” Hankyung yawned, wrapping the loose shirt around him tighter. I flickered my eyes once up at him before forcing myself to look down at my book again. My ears zoned in at the sound of him walking towards me, my fingers tightening around the sides of my book.

 

                “You want me to make you something for breakfast? Or did you already eat? It looks like you’ve been awake for some time.” I glanced up at him and saw the smile brightening his face. I drew in a sharp breath and pressed myself up against the side of the couch, looking down at my book again.

 

                “No, it’s fine. I already ate.” The couch dipped as Hankyung sat beside me, making me grip the book even tighter. Was it normal that I was hyper aware of his presence now?

 

                “Mmm…okay, if you say so.” I saw him hug his knees out of the corner of his eye, his hand searching for the remote control. I turned to face him properly, choosing to stare at his nose instead of his eyes.

 

                “Aren’t you going to eat something?” I mumbled. He smiled again and shook his head.

 

                “I’m not that hungry in the morning.” I caught a glimpse of his eyes as I turned back to my book again. They were the same as any other day. He really didn’t remember what happened last night. When he the T.V. and settled back into the couch, I let out a sigh in relief. At least he didn’t suspect anything. I loosened my grip on my book and flexed out my hands, the paper slightly damp where I was holding it.

 

                I don’t know how I made it through the entire day, but I did. When night rolled around, relaxation went through me, Hankyung sleeping soundly right next to me. I didn’t read; instead, I just stared at his sleeping figure and waited for him to awaken.

 

                He always looked so peaceful when he slept; a lot less stressed out than when he was talking with me throughout the day. I suddenly started wondering how much this job of his actually took out of him. He should at least take a break once in a while…

 

                “We kissed last night, didn’t we?” His quiet voice startled me out of my thoughts, my gaze reverting back to him. I couldn’t answer him. I didn’t even know how. He turned to his back, staring at the ceiling instead of me. Even at my angle, I could see the look in his eyes; empty, just like they always were during a Night Fright. How could he have remembered…what happened…during a Night Fright? Didn’t his memories always go away?

 

                “Didn’t we?” He repeated, just a tiny bit louder than last time, looking straight at me.

 

                “Um…” I could only stare at him in shock. This was a completely different Night Fright than his others. He didn’t say anything else after that. He just turned back over, turning silent again. I sat there, a little stunned about what happened. Was that even a Night Fright? But…he didn’t seem to remember what happened this morning.

 

                All these thoughts swirled and consumed my mind; leading me to one conclusion that night.

 

                I was sleeping on the floor again. 

 

A/N: Another retarded short chapter. :P I apologize for the late update, but hey! I'm here now! :D Same as always, please comment and don't be afraid to critique me! I love all kinds of feedback. :) I hope you enjoy the chapter. :D <3<3