Chapter 5

Submerged in a Twisted Musical

I woke up at night by a rough shake, which honestly scared the hell out of me. I sat up straight, not liking the fact that I was pulled roughly into reality. I shook my head, trying to shake away the dizziness that occurred. It was almost like being stuck between consciousness and unconsciousness. It wasn’t a pleasant feeling.

 

“Hey. Siwon. Sorry for waking you up, but this is kind of urgent.” Someone whispered. I blearily squinted at figure standing in front of me, trying to place a name to the face that was staring down at me. I gave up and started rubbing my eyes, my mind beginning to clear.

 

“God, what time is it?” I mumbled, leaning over to the clock by my bed. 2:00 a.m. I groaned and flopped back on to the bed again, unconsciousness already starting to settle in.

 

“You have got to be ing kidding me.” I said into a pillow. A hand grabbed my shoulder and forcibly jerked me out of bed. I tripped over my own feet, completely annoyed out of my mind. I looked up and finally recognized the person to be Kyuhyun.

 

“Kyuhyun, there seriously better be a good reason as to why you’re here.” Kyuhyun was nervously looking around, his fingers nervously drumming against his arm.

 

“Just get dressed and come with me. I’ll explain later.” I stood still and glared at him in the darkness. Why should I listen to him? Then again, he never really was the serious type…

 

I trudged to my closet and blindly reached for clothing. I stifled a yawn and lazily turned to Kyuhyun as I pulled out a simple T-shirt.

 

“What’s going on Kyuhyun?” There was an odd silence and a little shuffling.

 

“It’s about Hankyung…” He said, his words murmured into his hand.

 

I was expecting any answer, or at least any answer but that. I was so shocked that I slammed the shelf against my hand by accident. I cursed loudly and jumped away from the drawers. Kyuhyun snorted, the stoic air around him fading away.

 

“Wait what? Hankyung? What about him?” Kyuhyun quickly stopped laughing.

 

“Well…It’s somewhat related to his Night Frights…” He spoke quietly. I rubbed my bruised hand, confused.

 

“I thought he had those under control…?” I said unsurely. Kyuhyun opened his mouth, but all that came out was a sigh. He whined and impatiently grabbed my hand, tipping his hat to the side.

 

“I really think that you should hear it from Hankyung himself.” My words were lodged in my throat as I was jerked into that still unfamiliar feeling of transportation.

 

That same lightness started to take over my mind as Kyuhyun faded from view. I tightened my grip on his hand so I wouldn’t feel as if I was losing consciousness. My feet left the ground for a mere moment and I was in another room the next moment. Once again, I was left breathless.

 

Before I fully woke up from that dream-like state, I heard Kyuhyun’s voice float into my thoughts.

 

“This is where Hankyung sleeps. I’m just going to let him…talk to you.” The sound of a door closing soon followed. I blinked a couple of times and found myself in another dark room. This time, I felt the walls for a light switch and once I found it I flipped it on.

 

I turned around and saw Hankyung sitting forlornly on a bed with his arms wrapped around one knee. His face was blank and almost…terrified. He didn’t even move when I the lights.

 

“…Hankyung?” I called out softly. His eyes shifted sluggishly upwards at me. He raised his head when recognition lit up his face. The next thing I know, his arms were wrapped tight around my waist with his head rested against my shoulder. I stiffened at the body heat radiating from him and swallowed.

 

This reminded me exactly of the last time he had a Night Fright. He seemed completely terrified and insecure. However this time, he wasn’t shaking. He almost seemed relieved to see me. I rested my chin against his shoulder and hesitantly lowered my hands, resting them against his hips.

 

“Siwon…you’re Siwon.” He mumbled repeatedly against my skin. I shuddered at the vibrations and blinked hard. I relaxed and steadied my breathing, trying to find out what was up with Hankyung.

 

“Hankyung, what are you talking about?” I asked uncertainly. He stopped talking and pulled me tighter against him. My breath came short and ragged when I felt his arms squeeze my waist even tighter. But it was the next words that he spoke that made me feel a tight squeeze in my chest.

 

“You’re the only thing I remember.”

 

I was able to coax him to sleep, but even after he was resting peacefully in his bed, I didn’t think it was right to just leave him. And besides, how could I? I didn’t even know where we were. And if Kyuhyun teleported me here, I highly doubted I could just simply walk out the door and walk straight home.

 

I carefully lay next to Hankyung in the queen sized bed and stared at the dark ceiling. The only thing I could hear was Hankyung’s even breathing. I lolled my head to the side and stared at his sleeping face. It intrigued me to no end that I was apparently the only thing he remembered, but I surprisingly had absolutely no questions. Or maybe it was the fact that I simply couldn’t come up with any questions. I never was in this kind of situation before.

 

My eyelids were feeling heavier and heavier as seconds passed in just hearing Hankyung’s slow breathing. I closed my eyes, giving into unconsciousness with Hankyung the last thing on my mind.

 

I woke up later that morning, still exhausted. Almost automatically, I turned my head to the side where Hankyung was still sleeping. He was pressed up against the wall with his back facing me. I pondered over the thought of how much sleep he actually got. It wasn’t like he had to wake up early each morning, but it still had to be pretty tiring if he woke up each and every single night at such an ungodly time.

 

I slowly got up from the bed and stretched. At that moment, there was a soft knock on the door. I stopped stretching abruptly and told whoever it was to come in. The door creaked open, revealing Kyuhyun’s head.

 

“Hey.” He whispered. I waved. His eyes moved to where Hankyung was sleeping and back to me.

 

“Just curious, where did you sleep?” He deadpanned. I shot him a look.

 

“Where do you think I slept?” I asked as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. When a mischievous smile started spreading across his face, I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes.

 

“You better not be turning into a Zhou Mi on me.” I hissed. Kyuhyun laughed and stepped into the room, closing the door behind him.

 

“I’m not! I’m just playing with you. Anyways, I just came here to…request something from you.”

 

“Shoot.”

 

“Well…I was talking to the Chairman about Hankyung, and he proposed a suggestion that…involves you.” Kyuhyun said slowly. Beating around the bush. I thought immediately. I hated it when people did that.

 

“Get to the point please.” I stated firmly. Kyuhyun raised his shoulders and pressed his fingers to his mouth hopefully.

 

“The Chairman wants Hankyung to stay with you…temporarily of course!” Kyuhyun smiled innocently.

 

I was taken aback by the sudden request. I never thought about someone living with me before. I’ve always thought that my house was small enough for me. But now that I thought about it, I realized that my house was larger than I imagined. I had a few extra rooms that I barely even used, and some spare beds that were just collecting dust. I guess it pays when your parents own a famous chain of shops…

 

“Sure…I guess.” I replied unsurely.

 

“Oh…I honestly thought it would be harder for you to agree.” Kyuhyun murmured thoughtfully. I shrugged.

 

“It’s not really a problem. He’s an adult, so he can take care of himself. He likes to cook, so I won’t have to worry about food that much. I have surplus space in my house, and a fold out bed.” Kyuhyun stayed silent at my explanation.

 

“Well then I guess you have things under control.” He was about to turn around to leave, but I raised a hand to stop him.

 

“I do have a question…”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Exactly why does the Chairman want Hankyung to stay with me?” Kyuhyun shot a wry smile at me.

 

“Since you happen to be the only thing that he remembers, it’s easier for you to persuade him back to sleep when he wakes up. Plus it’ll comfort him by seeing a familiar person.”

 

“I guess that makes sense…And can I get a ride home? I have no idea where I am.” I asked hopelessly. Kyuhyun laughed and placed his hand over mine.

 

“Sure.” He smiled.

 

Once I was back home, I felt a strange relief to be back in familiar surroundings. The first thing I noticed was a notification from my phone. I reached over and flipped it open. It was a text from Taeyeon. I raised my eyebrows in curiosity and hastily opened the text message.

 

Hey! Just texted u to see how you’re doing. Plus, my friends asked me to tell you that there’s a party this weekend. She said I could bring friends…so I was wondering if you wanted to come. :D

 

I stared at the text, my fingers hovering over the small keyboard when I felt someone’s presence in the room.

 

“Hi! I came here as quickly as I can. Kyuhyun said that you had something to tell me…?” Hankyung grinned. I stared at him confusedly when everything clicked into place. So Kyuhyun expects me to tell him… I thought amusedly. I closed my phone, thinking that the text could wait until later.

 

 “Look, I honestly shouldn’t be the one explaining this. You really should go to Kyuhyun.” Hankyung laughed, a water bottle magically appearing in his hand. He unscrewed the cap and took a sip.

 

                “Alright, alright. I won’t ask you anything. So what are you doing?” He asked. I opened my mouth, but for some reason I couldn’t form any words. I vaguely raised the phone in my hand and pointed to it. Hankyung vanished and popped in front of me, quickly taking the phone out of my hand.

 

                “Wait, hey!” I protested. Hankyung giggled and swiftly avoided the swing of my arm, flipping open the phone. I sighed to myself in defeat.

 

                “So are you going?” Hankyung leaned against my bed, tipping water into his mouth.

 

                “I…no, I don’t think so.” I said after thinking it over. Hankyung tilted his head to the side, the water bottle pressed against the corner of his mouth.

 

                “Surprising.”

 

                “Why?”

 

                “Well you know…when someone usually hears ‘party’, they usually go.”

 

                “…Do you want to go?”

 

                “No, no! I was just curious.” Hankyung waved his hands and laughed. He fiddled with the bottle cap, looking almost unnaturally busy. I went to stand next to him.

 

                I turned my head and stared at him intently. His fidgeting increased, his fingers moving to his hat, back to the water bottle, and to his face to pick on something that wasn’t even there. I narrowed my eyes until he finally turned to me.

 

                “What do you want?!” He cried out, half laughing, half serious. I only sharpened my gaze, relishing the blush that appeared on his cheeks.

 

                “You want to say something else.” I deadpanned. He whimpered with a smile and leaned to the side, covering his face with his hat. My stare intensified as I leaned towards him. He cracked and broke into laughter.

 

                “No, it’s just that there’s a party next week…a different one from Taeyeon’s…and I was going to ask you if you wanted to come.” He said behind his hat. “But since you didn’t want to go to Taeyeon’s…” He faltered. I straightened, a little surprised.

 

                He was absolutely right. If I didn’t want to go to one party, then why should I want to go to another one at around the same time? I felt guilty…but I wanted to go to this party that Hankyung mentioned far more than the one that Taeyeon mentioned.

 

                “…What’s the party for?” I asked in a low voice. Hankyung blinked and lowered the hat, looking a bit happier.

 

                “Oh! We just have a drinking party every once in a while…there isn’t any particular reason. Working every day is a bit stressful, so these parties are arranged occasionally to…take that stress off. It’s tonight.” He spoke into the hat. I pondered over the thought of the party. It sounded so appealing…and I could always lie a little to Taeyeon. It wouldn’t necessarily hurt anyone, would it?

 

                “You don’t have to come if you don’t want to!” He reassured, a nervous chuckle escaping him. His eyes darted away, and I caught an almost invisible flash of disappointment that would have gone unnoticed if I hadn’t already been looking at him. I felt something stir inside me that was a cross between emptiness and sadness.

 

                “No, I want to come.” I said, stuffing my hands deep into my pockets. I tried telling myself that it was only because I felt bad for him, but a part of me was unconvinced. Hankyung visibly brightened, lowering his hat. My eyes unconsciously strayed to his hair and the way it fell in front of his face. It frustrated me how soft it looked and how it flopped so naturally when his fingers ran through it like that.

 

                And when the sunlight danced across the loose strands, it shimmered white which contrasted to the dark black of his hair. I wondered if he would react if I just reached out and brushed a finger across his hair…

 

                “Siwon? Siwon. Siwon!” I jerked backwards and forced out the weird thoughts that were now becoming strangely common. Hankyung laughed and let his arms fall to his sides, the hat still in his hand.

 

                “I just asked what you were going to do about Taeyeon.” He asked nervously, playing with his fingers. I reached for my phone and flipped it open, an idea starting to form in my mind.

 

                “Don’t worry. I think I’ve got it covered.” I sent a quick text to Taeyeon, pausing over the “Send” button for just a moment, reading it over.

 

                Sorry, but I have other plans over the weekend…maybe next time? :D/i>

 

                After I threw the phone across the bed, I looked up to see Hankyung with an open mouth, a happy glimmer in his eye.

 

                “You were singing.” He said gleefully. “You were humming the tune of the first song that we sang when we first came here!” He started jumping up and down, leaving me clueless.

 

                “I was?” I didn’t really believe him, but when I sent that text, I was thinking of that song.

 

                “And you say that you don’t like music!”

 

                “Did I really say that? I don’t seem to remember…”

 

                “Well, no, I don’t think so, but you’ve always showed so much distaste in them singing. But you were singing that tune just now!” Hankyung clasped his hands together, a smile wide across his face.

 

                I pursed my lips together, not knowing how to respond. It didn’t necessarily bother me that I was singing; it was just the fact that I didn’t even know I was humming the tune that really unnerved me. Hankyung’s musical ability was definitely rubbing off on me somehow…

 

                “You’re not a bad singer…” Hankyung said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head. I smiled a little.

 

                “I majored in acting in college, and since I had to sing once in a while, it’s safe to say that I’m okay. I shook my head, realizing that I was getting off topic.

 

                “Anyways, I’m going to the party. Don’t worry.” Hankyung broke into a wide smile and fixed his hat now on top of his head. I retrieved my phone and sent a hurried reply to Taeyeon.

 

                Sorry, I already have plans over the weekend. Maybe another time Taeyeon. :)

 

~*~

 

                The first night with Hankyung was awkward, since he didn’t even hear about the news until night came around. I wasn’t really expecting anything, especially not Hankyung randomly popping in my bedroom while I was reading.

 

                He leaned against the wall and crossed his arms with his hat in his hand.

 

                “Was it really that hard to tell me?” He seemed almost amused, which was not what I expected at all. I widened my eyes innocently, pressing my book against my mouth.

 

                “…Yes?” Hankyung half smiled and stretched his arms. He paused abruptly and turned his head towards me.

 

                “You’re okay with this, right? I don’t want to interfere…”

 

                “No, of course not,” I chuckled. I flipped a page in my book. “I was the one who agreed.”

 

                Hankyung widened his smile and briefly combed his fingers through his hair. When a silence settled in the room, I cleared my throat.

 

                “You can stay in the guest room down the hall. It’s the last door on the left.” He yawned tiredly and waggled his fingers at me.

 

                “Sure. Thanks.”

               

                He walked out and closed the door behind him. I snuggled deeper in my blanket and flipped another page in my book. I didn’t think much of Hankyung staying with me for a while. It was almost like any other day. I wasn’t even going to see him during the night.

 

                So when I went downstairs for a midnight snack, I didn’t expect to hear weird shuffling noises in Hankyung’s room. I stopped in front of his house on the way back up, the shuffling noises continuing. I set down my glass of water and gently rapped on the door. Without waiting for a reply, I slowly opened the door a crack and poked my head in the room.

 

                “Hey, Hankyung are you – gah!” Before I even finished my sentence, he was latched on to me, trembling like before.

 

                “I thought you were gone.” He mumbled into my shoulder.

 

                “I was down the hall!” I squeaked out, still shocked at the sudden hug.

 

                “Down what hall?” He lifted his head, loosening his grip just the tiniest bit. After the initial shock disappeared, everything clicked into place. It was difficult for me to know what he remembered and what he forgot during a Night Fright. But when I looked at his eyes, he wasn’t lying. They were empty and lost, rimmed with a smidge of fearfulness.

 

                “Never mind.” I said to myself. He rested his chin on my shoulder, tightening his arms around my waist. I was just about to place my hands on his back when I felt his head turn left, his mouth pressed against my neck. I stiffened, my hands freezing in the air. Vibrations tickled my neck as his mouth brushed against sensitive skin, forming words that didn’t seem to make sense in my mind at the moment. I felt something in my chest tighten; it was almost as if there were two ropes bundling into a tight knot. I shied away from the touch and stepped back, trying to even my breathing. I pressed a hand to the place where he spoke against my neck, wide-eyed and open-mouthed.

 

                “What did you say?” My voice cracked right when my mind registered that he was actually telling me something. It was strangely hot in the room, and my neck burned from his touch. He stepped forward again and placed both hands on my shoulders, staring me dead in the eye.

 

                “Please stay here for tonight…” He pleaded softly. It didn’t seem possible for my eyes to grow any wider, but apparently it was. The knot grew tighter in my chest, choking me and preventing me from saying anything. His hands twitched distractingly on my shoulders, and his face…

 

                Too close, too close… I thought to myself.

 

                That was exactly the reason why I ended up sleeping next to him in the guest room that night, him under the covers and me on top. My thoughts were scrambled and I was still having trouble with my breathing. I gripped the sheets underneath me, forcing myself not to look behind me at him now sleeping peacefully on the bed. Everywhere he touched seemed to burn. My waist, my shoulders…my neck…

 

                I subconsciously rubbed a finger on the spot where his lips touched my neck and bit my lip. My thoughts remained confused when I fell asleep uneasily that night. And the knot just wouldn’t go away in my chest.

 

                Night after night, it remained like that. We started off in separate beds, and somehow it always ended with both of us sleeping next to each other in either my bed or his. I started to stay up late simply to wait for him to wake up. And night after night, the knot in my chest grew tighter and tighter with no decent reason. In the morning, I would always wake up before him, so he never knew what happened.

 

                The lack of sleep was starting to get to me, and it unintentionally started to show.

 

                “Good morning.” Hankyung piped up cheerfully, bounding down the stairs. I was resting my forehead on the dining table, half-asleep with a half-eaten breakfast beside me.

 

                I groaned in response, his voice swimming in my mind. I winced at the sound of a chair scraping against the ground beside me.

 

                “Why so grumpy today?” He said cheerfully, resting his cheek against his fist. I murmured incoherently, a minor headache starting to form. Hankyung grew serious, sitting up straight.

 

                “You okay?” He said lightly. I turned my head so my cheek was resting against the wood table. I lifted my gaze up to him before shutting my eyes once again.

 

                “How are you so happy…” I moaned, bring up my arms to sprawl out on the wood surface. He chuckled to himself and tucked his chin between both his hands.

 

                “I’ve felt really well rested these past few nights, which never happens.” He sighed. “I just…feel happy.” Glad to hear that. I thought bitterly. For just one moment, I wondered why I was sacrificing my own sleep so he could sleep better. It made me cranky, but I managed to hold it in.

 

                “Well I don’t.” I snapped. I tried to sit up straight and squinted with dry eyes. A forced yawn escaped my mouth, helping with the dryness.

 

                “What’s bothering you?” He asked, not taking his worried expression off of me. I rubbed my eyes tiredly and stared at him. I had enough of this stress and lack of sleep, so I (stupidly) decided to just come clean.

 

                “Can you just sleep in my room from now on?” I blurted. He skidded back a few inches, but I remained serious. He stared at me suspiciously, an almost horrified look briefly crossing his face.

 

                “…Why?” He asked cautiously, drawling out the word. I shrugged and tilted my head back, trying to take another power nap.

 

                “Just so I can watch over you more easily.” I lied smoothly. When I opened my eyes once again, he was still eyeing me suspiciously.

 

                “So where am I going to sleep?”

 

                “I don’t know…on the floor with a sleeping bag? Or on the bed with me if you don’t care.” His eyes narrowed even further when I said that last sentence.

 

                “What?” He inquired disbelievingly.

 

                “I meant what I said.”

 

                “It doesn’t sound like you.”

 

                “Wha – can you blame me? I’m exhausted, I just want to sleep, so my mind’s screwed over. Just take the offer before I’m actually sane.” I said exasperatedly. In the foggy state of mind I had at that moment, I really just wanted one thing to be off my back. And this seemed to be the easiest way to do it. Hankyung laughed, the suspicion on his face fading away.

 

                “Okay, okay. If it really is easier for you…” Hankyung suddenly laughed again, which made me stare at him interestedly. He shook his head and covered his mouth with his hand.

 

                “Nothing. I was just thinking about whether my restful sleeping was related to you watching over me in any way. But I was totally joking.” He smiled amusedly to himself, stretching his arms forward. I started walking towards the couch and didn’t reply.

 

                “I’m just going to take a short nap.” I said, purposely changing the topic. I flopped onto the soft material and started to succumb to unconsciousness.

 

                You have no idea Hankyung, I thought to myself. No idea.

 

A/N: I wrote the last part basically half asleep, so please don't be upset if it seems rushed. T.T Please comment and I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! ^^