Finder's Keeper

Maid in Heaven

 

Today marks the second year since the accident. Yuri can hardly believe that she was given a second chance to live. Moreover, she thinks she was given a happier and more contented life. She looked at her left hand and admired the beauty of the ring on her finger. Small diamonds were carefully laid on the white gold band. Among the stones in her ring, the biggest and the brightest is the 1- carat heart-shaped gem in the middle. Yuri smiled and took a photo of her and her fiancé. She ran her finger along the man standing beside her in the picture. The man is indeed gorgeous. She has no doubts that there isn’t another man like him in Korea or elsewhere in the world. Her wishful thoughts were cut off when she heard the doorbell and the beep of the speaker.

 

“Yuriah! Honey, are you ready?” the man asked.

 

“I’m coming!” Yuri hurriedly picked up her apartment key, placed it inside her pouch, and opened the door. As usual, she was stunned at the beauty of the man standing in front of her. The man gave her a bright smile, which she cannot resist. He moved close her and gave her a smooch. “Oppa, I’m glad to see you. Saranghae,” Yuri tearfully greeted him.

 

“Bwo! Are you crying?” the man asked as he wipes Yuri’s tears with his thumb.

 

“Ne. But these are tears of joy. Oppa, I’m just so happy to have you. I’m the luckiest woman on Earth for being loved by you,” Yuri replied.

 

The two gave each other a long warm embrace as if time had stop just for the world to watch them.

 

_____

 

“Kyuhyunah! You’re almost late! Don’t tell me you went to the accident scene again.” Manager Park scolded.

 

Kyuhyun kept his mouth shut and Manager Park already knew the answer. “Come on, Kyu. Give it up! You finished your world tour already but you still haven’t seen Yuri. If she loves you too, she would have looked for you too or you could have heard from her.”

 

“Why are we here anyway, Hyung?” Kyuhyun changed the topic.

 

“Well, it’s Yunho’s farewell party. As we both know, he’s one of SM’s brightest star so the management made sure this celebration is big. Most SM artists are coming and I want you to be visible as well. It’s good for you. You’ll get to see old friends and who knows, you might finally get to meet your destiny.’” Manager Park teased.

 

“Pffft…” Kyuhyun scoffed. “I’m sure this is another boring and sarcastic event. Good thing, I prepared for this,” as he raised his coat that showed the shape of his PSP underneath his trousers.

 

_____

 

Kyuhyun treaded across the sea of glitz and glamour. The hall was decorated in a fairy tale theme. Flowers and candlesticks were everywhere. Chiffons draped from one chandelier to another which made the hall looking more enchanted. In the opposite side of the big elegant entrance door was a stage. What lies in between the two is a big round dance floor surrounded by tables and chairs for the guests. People came in their best attires as if it was an awards night. Soon after, Kyuhyun was surrounded by friends and colleagues who congratulated him for the success of his world tour. He bowed or shook their hands as his way of saying thanks. Kyuhyun quickly said his hellos to his friends and acquaintances and immediately dragged Manager Park at the seat farthest from platform and nearest to the exit.

 

 Soon people stood up and gave applause to welcome the reason for this event, Jung Yunho. Kyuhyun didn’t bother giving respect to his hyung. "I wouldnt have lost Yuri if you didn’t ask her out on that stupid date," he blamed Yunho in his mind as he always did every time their eyes meet in the studio. People sat down and prepared themselves for Yunho's remarks.

 

"CEO of SM, SM staff, colleagues, friends in the media, and guests, thank you for gathering in this celebration. This event is very important to me because it marks the end of my career in the entertainment industry. It has truly been a pleasure working with you and I will always be grateful for all the opportunities that was given to me." Yunho left the podium and stood on the middle of the platform to give a kowtow. Media feasted their cameras on Yunho's action and people around Kyuhyun cheered as they gave their standing ovation.  After a while, Yunho stood and went back to his podium to continue his speech.

 

"Aish Kyuhyunah!!! Why do we have to sit here at the back? The action is there in front!" Manager Park ranted as he stuff his mouth with food.

 

"Hyung, dont fret much. You’ll see it anyway in the news tonight and perhaps in the papers tomorrow. And if we're seated in front, I doubt you can eat that much as what you're doing now." Kyuhyun teased while he continued playing with his PSP.

 

 

Yunho continued, "Gomawa. Now I’m about to embark on a new milestone of my life... Getting married." Who-is-the-mystery-girl buzzes and murmurs spread in the hall. It has been a long time since they have heard or saw rumors of Yunho dating or intimate with someone.

 

Yunho maintained his cool and composure in spite of the mumbles that supposedly distracted him. He went on, "I have been lucky enough to meet beautiful people in the industry but time truly rewards those who wait." People laughed at the cliché. "Few years back, I was fortunate to meet someone who had me head over heels in love from the moment I saw her. Her world is different from us so I tried to keep things as private as possible. That's why after this, we hope that you give us the gift of quiet life when we move to Gwanju, my hometown. Nevertheless, you're still my family and at this moment I want to share with you the happiness I have been experiencing since I met her. To cut the suspense short, let me introduce you to my life's new passion, the future Mrs. Jung Yunho. Ladies and gentlemen meet my fiancé, Ms. Kwon Yuri."

 

Manager Park coughed the food out from his mouth and glanced at Kyuhyun who sat frozen in his seat, with his game neglected.

 

-----

 

- Kyuhyun's POV -

 

“Ladies and gentlemen meet my fiancé, Ms. Kwon Yuri," Yunho proudly announced.

 

This can't be true. Does the girl just have the same name as Yuri or did I hear it wrongly?

 

All people stood up to take a closer look at the girl being escorted by Changmin. Yunho took the girl’s hand and the girl smiled shyly. The couple stood at the center of the dance floor and both the guest and the media took photos. Yunho beamed with pride because of the woman standing beside her. He wrapped his arm around her waist and the two looked at each other as if we're not around them. Soon, people started mouthing their "congratulations" and some even said "best wishes" to the groom- and bride-to-be. The couple gave a slight nod to different directions to acknowledge the crowd.

 

This can't be true. I have to prove right here and then that she is or she's not Yuri. I stood up and stared at the girl. I hoped that the 30 second rule will work just like before.

 

25 seconds. The girl's black shiny locks were worn long with curls at the end just like Yuri when I last saw her.

 

20 seconds. The girl's milk chocolate skin glows with beauty under the flashes of the cameras.

 

15 seconds. The girl's strapless fit evening gown with a mid-thigh high slit on the side reveals her slim waist and long legs. Which man in the world wouldn't want such a lady for a wife?

 

10 seconds. The girl winked at Yunho to reassure him she's doing and feeling fine. That aegyo looked very familiar. Yunho kissed her forehead and the two interlocked their hands tightly as they face the crowd again.

 

5 seconds. Finally, her eyes met mine as she turned my way. My heart jumped in glee when she smiled at me, the prettiest smile in the world.

 

She is indeed Yuri... MY YURI. But this can't be true… she can’t get married.