Street Lamp III

Street Lamp

My shirt is drenched with sweat but I still continue chasing the ball. After going through a few obstacles, I got to shoot a fifth goal for my team and I knew a wide grin is appearing on my face right now. My teammates give me high five and others ruffling my hair.

The fan girls were yelling like crazy and waving our school banner left to right because our school is leading the game by three point and the referee whistling to give a sign that the game is ended. We shook hands with our rival and exchanged friendly smile and hug. At the end of the day, all of us have a same thought; this is a great game to prove our potential.

As usual, I gathered all my stuff into the bag and heading to locker room. I was busy wiping the sweats when I felt someone’s head bump into my chest.

What the hell? I was about to cuss whoever intentional trying to bump into me when I recognized a familiar pair of cold eyes.

“Seohyun.” I almost whispered her name and she didn’t look surprised.

She lower her head and muttered quickly apologize. Then, she left with an open book which I assumed Chemistry based on scientific name for sodium chloride. Should she be at home around this time? Or she just trying to chase Luhan away.

I smirked. I chose the latter one.


After a quick shower, I changed into clean clothes and heading out after bid them goodbye. I want to head home quickly but changed my mind. My stomach is grumbling a lot that I had to grab something to eat before it attract some attention.

Oh, guess it’s my lucky day! This is the second time our encounter for today and no obsessive boyfriend around her. Minho, don’t push your luck. Who knows he might appeared behind you? Jinx.

Nevertheless, I dragged my feet towards her who is still focusing on her small notebook. Even when I was standing next to her, she didn’t realized my presence. I bit my lower lip with annoyance.

This woman!

“Hey.” I said in casual voice.

She didn’t even bothered to look up. “Hn.” She answered.

Tell me again why I like this girl at the first place? Minho, took a deep breath and make your first move before she gone from your sight.

“You’re still studying?”

“Yeah. Don’t we have mid-term test in two weeks? I couldn’t bear to lose again to that nerve-wrecking idiot.” She referred to her boyfriend.

I chuckled. “No matter how many effort you pour into, you’ll never beat that idiot, Seohyun. Where is he anyway?”

“He’s visiting his father at Osaka.”

“At a time like this?”

“It’s him. How could we know what’s going on in his mind anyway? He is the one who made up the rules and he is the one who broke the rules. How’s the game?” Her question perked up my interest.

Oh, she did knew the game. I thought all she did is studying.

“We won. Don’t you know I’m shoot fifth goal for our school?” I said in smug look.

She smiles a bit. “Knowing you as an ace in soccer team, there’s no way I would doubt it. Congratulations! Great, I’m hungry. Do you want to grab something to eat?”

Did – did she invited me together? To have dinner together? I’m not dreaming right?

She waved her hand in front of my face which caught off guard. “You’re okay? If you don’t want to, I don’t mind. I’m just asking anyway.”

I hurriedly shook my head. “Let’s go. I’m hungry also after running around the field for 2 hours straight.”

“Good. I want to eat spicy rice cake at that stall.” She said as she makes her way towards the small stall. A woman around 40’s is busy stirring the spicy rice cake in the round pan and there were four vacant seat. She greeted her and ordered without waiting for me.

This woman!

I also ordered the same thing as I took a seat next to her and she didn’t mind about it. I was about to retort about Luhan when she beat me to it.

“I wonder why he despised you a lot. Did you always harassed him without my knowledge, Minho?”

I frowned. “What’s that supposed to mean? It’s feel like I was harassing a woman or something. He is a grown up man for your information, Seohyun. Even if we ended up into a brawl, this is between me and him.”

She nods. “He always advised me to stay away from you especially when he is currently at Osaka. He was afraid that you will took me away from him.” She bites her spicy rice cake.

I took a sip of my drink. “What if I am? You don’t mind, do you?” I smirked.

“You won’t do that. Unless you like me.” She said in bluntly.

Darn this woman! Is she a psychic or similar to that?

“What if I said that I like you? Will you returned my feeling? I could give you more than Luhan can give you. We’re sharing the same personality so it won’t be a problem. One thing for sure, I won’t disturbed your peaceful life.”

She lost in her thoughts as she absorbed my words just now. She didn’t muttered anything and stay silent that I could sense an awkward atmosphere between us.

Then, a couple came to the stall and sit on her left. They were happy and based on formal clothes on them, I assumed they were officers and just got back from working. Oh, it’s already 7 o’clock. I didn’t realized time passed by that quick.

When she didn’t give me any reply, I felt irritated. I nudged her on the shoulder causing her to look at me with blank look.

“What?” She asked.

I let out a short sigh. “What’s your reply?”

“What reply? Did you asked me a question just now?”

Her answer makes me face palm. Did she heard me or she was wandering off somewhere when I asked her that question?

“Never mind.” I give up. This is too much. I can’t believe that this girl could do this to me. If it was other girl, she would give her answer right away.

Then, again. Who am I kidding with? This is Seohyun, a snow queen who is known as study freak and a girlfriend to obsessive Luhan.

“Even if you like me, I won’t returned your feeling.”

Ouch.

She continued. “Yeah, we do share the same personality but don’t you think it’s a bit boring?”

Second ouch.

“We did the same thing, talk about the same thing and everything same which is plain and boring. If it was Luhan, he would do anything – I mean, stupid thing to liven up the atmosphere even it was mean to embarrassing him in various way. Despite his contrast personality than me, I appreciated his presence.” She didn’t forgot to smile at the end of her sentences.

I will never won over him. Especially when it comes to this girl.

“I got dumped, huh? Never in my whole life, a girl dumped me. First strike.” I laughed dryly.

She smiles wryly. “You’re funny. It sounds like I am the first girl ever said those words to you.”

You are.

“You’re going to head home after this?”

“Uh-huh. Going back to my revision. Who knows you might beat me? I could never look down upon people such as you.”

“That’s hurt, study freak.” I touched my chest as it was hurt and she laughed.

“Whatever. Come on! Let’s head home. Are you ride on a bus or taxi?”

“Taxi. No bus passed my place. How about you?”

“I’m going with a bus. So, see you tomorrow?”

Yeah. See you tomorrow and facing the same day again and again.

I raise my hand. “Tomorrow it is. Hope we could do this kind of activity again. Without interference.”

“Don’t push your luck, Minho. I still regard you as a friend, you know. Don’t mind Luhan. Sometimes, he could be obnoxious.”

I shook my head; much to her surprise. “I never regard you as a friend at the first place, Seohyun. Like I said before, erase what if and you got ‘I like you’ words instead. And I do mind Luhan. He is my rival.”

Surprisingly, her straight face is hard to determine what kind of expression lay underneath her stoic face. I bit my lower lip and formed a fist with my right hand. This is ridiculous! What the hell did I do right now?

Confession? I must be insane.

“Oh. What kind of term ‘I like you’ to you?”

Huh?

“I don’t understand.”

“You said that you like me. What kind of term liking? So many people said that they like me for different reasons. How about you?”

I mentally slapped myself. She is all about logic, isn’t she?

“Never mind, Seohyun. Have a nice ride. Bye.” I said before walking the opposite road from her.


Along the walk, I could never stop myself from mumbling incoherent thing which I didn’t realized that I had arrived in front of my house. I was surprised. A lot.

Did I mumble that long? The road that I’ve taken is a long ride and for not taking a taxi, I just did impossible thing to possible thing. I didn’t know my leg could withstand with pressure. Probably because of big whack from study freak just now.

I even ignored my sister calling out my name or my little brother who wanted to play Xbox with me. I just want to hide my flushing my face with pillow right now. No – hiding myself at everywhere except Seoul.

I can’t face her. Not this way.

. I got dumped not once but twice. Yes, twice.

Luhan, are you happy now? Your girlfriend dump me because of you. The nerve-wrecking brain like you!

Nah. My fault at the first place. Why did I confessed to her at the first place anyway? Trying my luck.

Jinx. Don’t push your luck, Minho. You eat your own words.

Please, can we cancel school tomorrow? I don’t want to face her, Luhan and the entire people at school. It’s humiliating! Damn it!

Seriously, who is ing call me at the middle of my stress? But my hand reached my phone at the side table. Without seeing the caller ID, I answered with lazy tone. This should be important or else, I would hung up no matter who is it.

“Minho?”

I straightened my back. “Seohyun? Why are you calling me? Did you left something at the stall?”

“Oh, no! I just wanted to ask, you do excel in Physic right? I searched your background and your mark is a bit higher than mine. My conclusion is, would you mind teaching me Physic tomorrow? After school if you didn’t have practice.”

I do have practice but for her, I don’t mind ditch one. Wait! Seriously, Minho?

I coughed a bit. “You searched my background? You could be a hella investigator. Sure. At where?”

“Library.”

A weird question is playing in mind. “When is Luhan back from Osaka?”

“Two days later, I guess.”

Good. No intervene. I laughed evilly to myself but making sure the phone is far from my mouth.

“Tomorrow, kay?” I agreed and she hung up after thanking me.

Yes, another so called date with her tomorrow! Too bad, Luhan! You aren’t even here to witness us studying together. Without you. Heh.


My eyes couldn’t take off from the familiar person who is taking his leisure time by reading comic next to her. And here I thought he would be back after two days. What the hell did he do in here anyway?

Minho, you better watch your words next time. Your worst nightmare has come true.

“Luhan, we’re studying. Mind if you read your comic somewhere else?”

He was glaring at me before scooting a bit closer towards her who is still wearing her stoic expression.

“Leaving you with her? No chance, man.”

“She asked me personally to teach her Physic. Not you. Why are you here anyway?”

“Because she’s my girlfriend and I could teach her Physic if she want. Right, Seohyun?” He smiles at her who is paying no attention towards him.

“Luhan, if you are here to ruin the atmosphere, think again. I came here to study; not to have a lovey-dovey with you. Minho, how about this question? I do think my answer is correct or you have other assumption.”

I smirked at her ignorance attitude towards him. I mouthed ‘serve you right’ at him who is looking like he wanted to strangle me right away.

“Your answer is correct but you have to add a bit explanation to get full mark. Like this.” I showed her the explanation I just did and she listened to me intently.

I felt grateful even it was a small moment like this. Even if we got to study instead of going out like any couple do, I could never asked more than this. Seeing Luhan’s jealous face is enough to make me laugh inwardly.

Although she is belong to him, but it never wrong to test the water, right? After all, he is a great toy I ever had. Luhan, don’t think I will giving up on her.

Not yet.