The Peace Worriers

The Revolutionists

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how

Friedrich Nietzsche

 

The next day, everyone was signing up for the month-end challenge. Once the forms were all collected, the students huddled around the wall where it showed all the team names and participants.

Entrants:

Prince Team

Kim Jongdae | Lightning | Monkey | Class 4D

Kim Jongin | Teleportation | Fox | Class 4D

Kim Joonmyeon | Water | Eel | Class 4D

The Nightmares

Xi Luhan | Telekinesis | Deer | Class 4D

Kim Minseok | Frost | Snow Leopard | Class 4D

Kim Sunggyu | Mind Control | Hamster | Class 4D

Silent Ninjas

Huang Zitao | Time Control | Panda | Class 4D

Oh Sehun | Wind | Eagle | Class 4D

Kim Myungsoo | Illusionist | Turtle | Class 3B

The Team Out of this World

Zhang Yixing | Healing | Unicorn | Class 4D

Park Chanyeol | Fire | Phoenix | Class 4D

Li Huiyin | Weather | Dragon | Class 4D

Yin Yang Earth

Byun Baekhyun | Light | Ferret | Class 4D

Nam Woohyun | Shadow | Hedgehog | Class 3B

Do Kyungsoo | Earth | Bear | Class 4D

 

The list went on, showing over hundreds of teams.

“Remind me why we are called ‘The Team Out of this World?’” Yixing asked.

“Because we are,” Chanyeol replied in a ‘how-could-you-possibly-ask-that’ voice. “Literally,” he added in an undertone.

“It’s better than Prince Team. Originality at its lowest,” Baekhyun commented, crossing his arms as he stared at the Prince from the corners of his eyes.

“The Silent Ninjas’ name is really fitting. I don’t know who Myungsoo is, but Tao and Sehun never talks!” Huiyin pointed out.

“You’re right. Myungsoo doesn’t talk much either. He’s a turtle that casts illusions. When Myungsoo, Sungjong and Sunggyu are together, they’re called the Psychopathic Trio because Sungjong can read people’s minds.” Baekhyun explained. “Both the Psychopathic Trio and the Silent Ninjas are very dangerous.”

*

Later that day, the sonars transmitted an alarming message to everyone across the Kingdom.

A nobleman’s carriage was attacked last night and as a consequence, the nobleman died. The attackers left a message claiming themselves as ‘Peace Worriers’.

The whole Kingdom is now under surveillance after the attack, as it was seen as a rebellion against the King.

The news travelled fast, and almost instantly, everyone were aware of the rebellion. Some felt horror whilst others considered it as a sign of hope. Regardless how the attack was viewed, they all knew that change was on its way - for better or for worse.

And in a certain male toilet situated within the Water Sound Univeristy, two supernatural beings were having a composed discussion for the first time.  

“Peace worriers,” Kyungsoo laughed. He leaned against the door, ensuring that no one would disturb them. “Who thought of that? Was it you?” He rose an eyebrow when his gaze diverted to Yixing.

“I’m not that clever. Luhan thought of that. He considers themselves as warriors and that was how he came up with the pun of ‘worriers,’” Yixing explained.

“You don’t consider yourself as one of them, huh?” he asked as his eyebrows furrowed. “I thought you were one of them.”

A light chortle left the healer’s lips as he crossed his arms. “I’m just helping them a little.”

“Are you sure that’s the right thing to do?”

Yixing pondered on that question. He was never into human affairs, but Luhan always seemed to know which string to pull to get him to do his bidding. “Why did you send me here if it wasn’t?”

“I wanted to see you again…

 

 

 

 

brother.”

Yixing’s stoic expression made Kyungsoo uneasy. Yixing walked towards the door, pushing Kyungsoo to the side so he could make his exit, but Kyungsoo’s question stopped him.

“Isn’t it fun?” he said. “To live like a human. You enjoy it too, right?”

It was true; he loved living with the humans. In the past, in order to live harmoniously with them, he did everything to please them but it wasn’t up to him to decide. The devil was created to be a monster for them to blame all their misfortunes on him.

“God, please leave me alone.” He heaved a heavy sigh before leaving Kyungsoo alone.

The devil walked through the campus with no particular destination in mind. He kept thinking and thinking with thoughts such as ‘it was all your fault’, and ‘stop pretending like you understand or care’.

His legs came to a stop when he sensed someone standing five metres in front of him. He slowly raised his head, observing their features and finally identifying the person as Luhan. Yixing’s head snapped around in a mechanical manner, almost as though he was new to his surroundings again. It was raining and he was soaked. He was so absorbed in his own thoughts that he didn’t even realise he was walking in the rain.

An agonising pang hit his heart when his brain reminded him of the truth – it wasn’t God’s fault. The most painful thing was that he knew nobody was at fault and he only had himself to blame for the mistakes he made in the past. For that reason, he couldn’t forgive anyone because he couldn’t forgive himself.

Yixing looked into Luhan’s eyes and grinned a little. “I’ve decided!” Yixing called out, his voice quietened by the pattering raindrops, only to earn Luhan’s sceptical gaze in return. “I’ll join you! I’ll do everything in my ability for you to succeed your goal!” Although the devil was helping Luhan’s rebellion, he only did things when Luhan forced it upon him. Before, he refused to join him because of Luhan’s twisted ways, but who was he to judge? After all, they’re both the same – they’re both monsters in people’s eyes.

*

Weeks passed and the day for the month-end challenge finally arrived. All the students gathered in the gym. Looking around, Huiyin suddenly felt nervous as she observed the sea of heads that filled the hall. They’d be going up against this many people? “Do you think we stand a chance?” she asked, nudging Chanyeol’s side.

He looked around and shrugged, adjusting the cap he’d chosen to wear that day. “Won’t know until we try!” He said with a grin. Huiyin smiled back weakly and sighed when she turned away. They’d probably need a miracle to pass this round. For a while, inarticulate mutterings circulated the large group of students until a lecturer made his way onto the stage.

He cleared his throat before adjusting the microphone.

“Welcome students, to the 745th month-end challenge. My name is Cho Kyuhyun and I will be your supervisor for the first round.” Whispers rippled through the crowd of students, though went ignored by Kyuhyun. The scientists glanced around, unsure as to why there was so much commotion over Kyuhyun being this round’s supervisor. Surely it wasn’t a bad thing, right?

“This year we’ve received over 100 entries and like always, we will have elimination rounds before we proceed with the battles.” He paused, letting the information sink in. The whispers become murmurs but died out as soon as they heard Kyuhyun talk again.

With every round you pass, you will be rewarded with 50X more than you did last time. This means you will receive 50X when you pass the first round, 100X the second round and so forth. Now, before we begin, we need one member from each team to come out.”

Looking between the three of them, Yixing didn’t think twice about pushing Huiyin in the direction of the stage. Blinking in confusion, she turned her head around and squinted at him. When he offered her a smile and a nod of his head, a request for her to trust him, she sighed and nodded.

“Why Huiyin?” Chanyeol asked after she’d left with the others.

“If it’s a rescue mission, then we have one attacker and one healer. If it’s a mental task, we simply cannot put dumb and dumber together,” Yixing explained, scanning around the area for anyone they’d have to watch out for. He spotted Luhan in the distance, but he couldn’t see Minseok or Sunggyu with him. Further to his left, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were talking and somewhere to the right of them he thought he saw Sehun. He couldn’t see anyone else he recognised.

Dumb and dumber?! As a matter of fact, I am a very intelligent scientist in our world,” Chanyeol said loudly, causing a few people to stare and then shake their heads at his pose; his hands on his hips and his chest puffed out proudly.

Yixing rolled his eyes. “Of course! So intelligent that you created fire in the kitchen by adding water to hot oil,” he chimed in a sarcastic tone. “And Huiyin doesn’t exactly know how to properly use her power just yet.”

“Oh, right.”

They stood around for half an hour and by then Huiyin still hadn’t come back. Yixing’s original suspicion of a rescue mission was starting to grow on Chanyeol by now, and he was spouting all kinds of ideas— “What if we have to fight a dragon?! Doesn’t that sound cool?!”

“Sure,” Yixing said, folding his arms over his chest. “If you say so.”

Before he could reply and complain about his lack of interest, Kyuhyun was back on stage, clearing his throat into the microphone again. The crowd fell silent and he nodded in approval, looking over the crowd. “The first round will start in ten minutes from now. This round will take place in the forest,” he started. Murmurs rose within the crowd, but died out just as fast as they came when Kyuhyun took a breath.

“Each team has sent a teammate to us and they are already stationed within the forest in various locations. Some are close to their rivals, others may be close to no one. Each person has been given one flag, either red or blue and of which colour, only they know. To the rest of the team members here, you are to find your teammate to find out what colour flag your team is in possession of.” The murmuring was back and Yixing looked around to see everyone talking about their strategy or where they hoped their team member was positioned.

Luhan clearly had the upperhand in this round with the powers of telekinesis. It wasn’t going to be easy. If they wanted any chance of making it to the second round with this many people, they were going to have to be alert at all times and Yixing wasn’t sure if his companions were up to that.

They were dumb and dumber, after all.

Glancing at the scientist beside him, Chanyeol looked calm enough. In fact, he looked rather excited. “It’s like a giant game of hide and seek!”

Yixing grew anxious. To Chanyeol it appeared to be a game, but it meant a whole lot more to the devil. He was determined to win against Kyungsoo.

“To pass this round, two flags are needed: your own and one of the opposite colour. This means that only half of you will progress into round two.” A mischievous cackle vibrated from Kyuhyun’s lips, causing the weaker students to fret amongst the crowd.

Yixing sighed. Hopefully Huiyin would be able to hold onto the flag until they found her or until she found them. If not, that meant extra work for them. “The allocated time to complete this task is two hours and as for rules, well,” Kyuhyun shrugged nonchalantly. “Don’t kill each other.”

They were dismissed and it was only when they were standing at the edge of the forest that Chanyeol paused. The trees seem to touch the clouds and a chilling breeze hit the back of his neck when he realised that it was a huge area to cover and yet they had to find Huiyin and get out with two flags.

Suddenly, the big game of hide and seek didn’t seem so appealing anymore and before he could say anything about it, Kyuhyun’s voice rang through the speakers placed around the forest.

“Let this round begin!”