Promises Shouldn't Be Broken || 33

The Forgotten Shards

The Forgotten Shards

 

 

Donghae can’t stop smiling. Eight months more and Donghae was about to make the biggest decision in his entire life. He can choose the usual life he’s had for twenty years. But he can also choose to spend the rest of his life with Charlie. He didn’t expect to like her. No, that was totally the last thing he had expected to do: to like Charlie.

Charlie was totally the exact opposite. She was annoying, a killjoy and everything he didn’t wish for an ideal woman. Besides, Charlie was seventeen. Seventeen years old like her were supposed to be fun, innocent and party everywhere. She was totally different. She’s just really… cold.

But Donghae liked it. It didn’t matter. Is this what’s supposed to feel like? Love? Is this supposed to be that overwhelming? Donghae leaned back against his chair, reminiscing those times he had with Charlie. It was the best rollercoaster ride he has ridden so far.

“Donghae? Donghae!”

Donghae straightened up, snapping back to reality. He was currently in his father’s office, inside the Lee Corporations building. Lee Corporations was not any different from the house. If his Dad was less cold than he was before because Charlie is around, then he’s the Ice Prince in the company. The employees fear him. Who wouldn’t? He gets anyone fired in an instant without even feeling remorse. Daydreaming was the last thing he should be doing.

Donghae cleared his throat. “I apologize.”

“What are you thinking?” Mr. Lee asks. “You can’t be not focused on times like this.”

“I apologize, Dad,” Donghae repeated. He glanced at his watch and bit his lip. He was supposed to meet with Charlie at the airport thirty minutes ago. He glanced at his father. “Appa, I have to go.”

“Where are you going?” His father asked, giving him a look.

“I’m going to New York with Charlie,” Donghae answered.

“Hmm, your relationship with her seems to be better,” His father commented. “Meanwhile, her attitude at the party seems to be unforgettable.”

Donghae groaned inwardly. Not that again. His father has been bringing up that topic ever since Charlie made a scene back at his party. And it really disappointed his father a lot. “Appa, not again.”

“Donghae, I expect you to work things out,” his father says, clasping his hands together. His tone was dead serious and he looked like he would kill someone with his eyes. “If Charlie doesn’t apologize for what she did, especially when she did that in front of our clients, then I’m going to have to break off the engagement and forget this ever happened. Jung Shin Woo may be a big loss for our company but what Charlie did was totally unforgivable.”

Appa, Charlie only did the right thing,” Donghae said quietly.

“Donghae, what are you trying to say? That they’re the one at fault. You know, they weren’t so impressed of what she did. And your behavior has been totally unacceptable.”

Appa, please. Charlie didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Aren’t you supposed to meet her?” Mr. Lee ignored Donghae’s protests.

“Thirty-two minutes ago,” Donghae replied. “But you told me to stay so… I can go?”

Mr. Lee glared at him. “No. Unless you do the right thing.”

“But, appa—”

“You stay here and set your mind straight, Donghae. I told you. You do the right thing and I’ll let you go.”

Right thing? What was the right thing? Why did it feel like his Dad was making him stay away from Charlie? Why does Donghae feel that everything’s so wrong now? How is he supposed to explain to Charlie that he’s going to be late? He promised her and there he was, breaking his promise. Promises are made to be broken. But only this time, Donghae wanted to keep his. For Charlie. For the first time.

He stood up from his seat. Getting his phone from his pocket, he had no choice but to call the last person he ever asks help from.

Yeoboseyo?”

“Kyuhyun-ssi. I need your help.”

 

He promised that he was going to come, Charlie probably told herself that a thousand times ever since she arrived at the airport forty-five minutes ago. Earlier this morning, she saw Donghae packing his things up in his suitcase, looking so excited and handsome. Charlie let out a soft giggle. Donghae can be such a kid sometimes.

So, this was it. She was going to let Donghae meet her Mom. It’s not, like, it’s a big thing, right? Wrong. It is a big thing. A really, really big thing for her. Letting him meet her Mom, and finally choosing to tell him everything… it’s a big step for Charlie. Not once did she open herself up to anyone.

Okay, make Kyuhyun and Yoona exceptions to the rule. They were her friends. They were her first friends that really cared for her. At least that’s what she feels. Charlie feels confident about it. Yoona may be the most unsuitable person to pair with Charlie because of her sunny personality but Charlie liked her. She’s an amazing person. And the moment Charlie told Yoona how proud she was that Yoona’s scholarship request was accepted, she really meant it.

Charlie has never thought of Kyuhyun as more than a friend. The first time she saw him, yeah, cool… he looked like the leading man from the Korean drama she saw when she was young. Was it My Girl? His name was Lee Dong something. He was stunning, quiet and mysterious—perfect ideal for Prince Charming. What’s really cool about Kyuhyun is that Charlie can see herself in him. He’s like female version of Charlie—which totally amuses her.

For the first time in her life, she’s never felt so contented with the three people around her. Why didn’t she go to Korea in the first place?

Maybe if her family had decided to live in Korea ever since she was born, her Mom wouldn’t have died. Hayley would still be alive. They would be the perfect family everyone is jealous of.

Now that it’s just her and her father, it’s all promises. It’s one thing Charlie hated the most. Promises, promises.

Life without her Mom and her little sister was a total disaster. Charlie was… people around her would call her insane. She wasn’t exactly Cinderella back in New York, except for the rags to riches part. Charlie grew up rich. After the murder, add the alcohol, wrong crowd, peer pressure and an absent father to the equation and what do you get? A totally messed up life. Maybe it’s the reason why going to therapy never helped her.

She needed her father. Shin Woo kept on promising he’s going to be there for her but what? He took them as mirrors, easily breaking them to pieces and apologizing as if it wasn’t even a big deal.

She hated promises but… she might be able to make an exception for Donghae.

Maybe she was finally picking up the pieces to complete her puzzle.

Her eyes wandered around, hoping to see any live sign of Donghae. She wished there was. She wished he would pop out of nowhere—like he always does—and make fun of her. But he wasn’t. And she—

Billy.

Charlie jerked up, catching her breath. She felt her heart throbbing so fast it felt like exploding in a matter of seconds. Her hands were shaking endlessly and her legs were wobbly. She knew what she saw. She knew it was him. She can’t be wrong.But Billy’s in jail. He’s in New York.

Then who was it? Charlie can’t be hallucinating now, can she?

“Charlie?”

“Hey, I’ve been—Kyuhyun?”

Charlie exhaled. She was panting, like she was in dire need of air.

Donghae wasn’t anywhere in plain sight. And did you hear that? I think it was Charlie’s heart breaking. Charlie’s face showed anger, pain, broken promises, disappointment… you name it and it’s all there. But he promised. He sure did. Just like everyone else. Just like those ing therapists said that it’s going to be okay when it never did. Just like her Dad said he’s going to be there for her always when he never did.

“Are you okay?” Kyuhyun asked, holding Charlie’s arm. “You look pale. Did you see him again?”

Charlie shook her head. “Where’s Donghae? What are you doing here?”

“He called me,” Kyuhyun explained. “He told me he’s going to be late. His—”

Charlie’s jaw tightened. “Great. Just what I need.”

“You have to understand, Charlie. I think he li—”

“No need for any explanation,” Charlie interrupted him, her tone dead serious. Kyuhyun could see how disappointed and mad Charlie was. “You don’t have to come. It’s your choice.” She walked away, wishing she could take back what she had said earlier. She hates promises. And she’ll always will.


 

Helllllo x I love you subscribersss.

Comments are very much appreciated :)