Phone Needs Sleep, too || 9

The Forgotten Shards

The Forgotten Shards

 

 

“Do you have your own driver to pick you up?” Donghae watched as Jessica shifted from her seat. She looked pretty with her flowery mini-dress she wore. Her blond hair was down and curly. Her eyes were traced with thick black eyeliner. Jessica is the perfect definition of a goddess to every guy she meets. But to Donghae, Jessica is just one of the girls he goes out with just to waste the time.

Jessica nodded, facing Donghae to beam at her. “Well, yes. My Dad is really overprotective. He has this bodyguards assigning over me the entire day. They were this awesome black suit and follow me everywhere. Kind of makes me feel like protected, you know.”

Donghae glanced at his watch, contemplating on something he can’t even figure out. Why was he anxious at the first place? He scratches the nape of his neck, feeling like he had forgotten something he should have done. It was already six in the evening and he felt like he should be doing something besides going out with Jessica.

What did he forget? No homework had been announced a week ago. Sure, the engagement had been announced two weeks ago and then after that, everything went back to normal. It was as if nothing really ever happened. School was okay. Projects were long overdue; soccer practices were great as usual.

So, what was missing?

He was pretty sure he had done all the projects he was given by his professor. He also did his father’s demands. Hold on, so what was really, really missing?

He took a quick glimpse at Jessica who still kept talking, her face beaming towards him. Then he subtly reached out to take his phone from his pocket. When he saw Charlie’s deadpanned face as his wallpaper, it hit him.

He was supposed to pick Charlie up an hour ago.

“Crap,” he muttered to himself, panicking.

Oppa?” Donghae looked up. “Are you okay?”

Donghae forced a smile. “Uh, neh. Wait, you said you had bodyguards, right? Do you have a driver to drive you wherever you go, too?”

Jessica nodded. “Well, yeah. He’s outside but I can tell him to go home first. You can drive me home, oppa, if that’s what you’re planning to do. I can tell my driver and my bodyguards to just leave me alone. My Dad will understand, especially when he knows it’s you.”

“Well, can you call your driver right now?” Donghae asked.

Jessica took her phone out from her purse. “Should I tell him you’re driving me home?”

Donghae cleared his throat, avoiding her eyes. “Um, ani. I was wondering if you could tell him to drive you home. I forgot I had to do some stuff… well, business stuff. I’ll call you soon though. I had a really great time. It was cool meeting you.”

Colors flooded Jessica’s face. “Uh, mwo? I thought you were driving me home.”

“I never said that,” Donghae asserted, rubbing his temples. “But next time, maybe I will. When we see each other soon, I’ll give you a drive home. But not now.  I have something to take care of. I’ll call… you.”

Jessica frowned. “Well… okay.”

Donghae stood up, taking his leather jacket and draped it over his shoulder. He motioned for the waiter and paid him in full, telling him to keep the change. Jessica stood up, too, sauntering towards Donghae. He gave her an awkward nod before leaving.

As Donghae stepped out of the restaurant, he immediately speed dialed Charlie. It went straight to voicemail. He let out an annoyed sigh. Just great, he thought as he grabbed his keys from his pocket. She’s not even answering my calls. The car roared to life, Donghae pressed the speed dial again to try and reach Charlie.

“Yah, yah, yah,” he muttered to himself as he twisted the steering wheel to the left. “Pick up your phone, Charlie Jung.”

Donghae failed reaching Charlie after fifteen more attempts of contacting her. She wouldn’t pick up the phone. He knew he had a mistake right there, forgetting about picking her up. It’s been weeks since he had started going out with Jessica. So far, their dates have been great.

And so far, Donghae has been forgetting to pick Charlie up. When he does forget, he usually bails out on Jessica or even to this new girl he had set his eyes on—Hye Mi—and quickly drive to Charlie’s school or at that donut shop where Charlie spends her free time at.

And so far, the marriage had been nothing but a wreck. He and Charlie can’t just stop arguing with each other.

Donghae let out an annoyed sigh. “Aish~ jinjja. How can I tell my father about our differences? How can I make him understand that this thing just never works at all? It’s pretty obvious that Charlie and I don’t have anything in common. We don’t even agree with the smallest of things.”

Donghae glanced at the small calendar he had made the first day he was declared to be Charlie’s fiancé. He placed the small paper at the back of the rearview mirror, hoping secretly that Charlie or even his own father wouldn’t see it. Ten more months and he’s going to be free. He had decided.

He’s never going to marry Charlie Jung.


 

Well hellllo new subscribers x 

I love you foreverrrr. Happpppy birthday to the one & only Lee Donghae of Super Juniooooor! xxx