Empire State of Mind || 34

The Forgotten Shards

The Forgotten Shards

 

 

“Yeoboseyo?” Kyuhyun held his phone against his hear, his eyes glued to the screen. He was watching the replay of the successful recital a month ago. It has been broadcasted by a local entertainment network after it had impressed thousands of people, including some artists who swore they had witnessed the entire thing.

“Kyuhyun-ssi.” The voice he didn’t think he would ever hear. What was he calling for anyway? And how did he get his number? Was there something wrong with Charlie?

Kyuhyun got the remote control and turned the TV off. Whatever it was, it must be something serious. “What do you want?” he asked in a serious manner. He may not have known Donghae or haven’t had any attempts of knowing him but still… it’s worth a try. It could be about Charlie.

“A favor,” Donghae replied quietly.

Kyuhyun smirked. “You don’t even know me. And I’m pretty sure you won’t trust someone like me.”

“I know you like Charlie.” Kyuhyun almost fell on his chair. However, on the other line, Kyuhyun heard something like a door closing. Or was it just his imagination? “I’m pretty sure you like her. And I’m also sure that you know everything about her now. You know things that I don’t know about you. She trusts you. You’re her friend.”

“What are you trying to say?” Kyuhyun asked.

“You don’t just like Charlie,” Donghae says.

“And how certain are you?”

“I may act like the preppy, athletic playboy everyone talks about but I’m not stupid. I know you like her. I’ve known you more than I’ve known Charlie. We basically grew up with each other. I know your past. I know you hate your appa because you think he abandoned you for another family. I’m not stupid. You’re Cho and I’m Lee. Everyone knows of the intense rivalry the Cho and Lee has. And I know Charlie changed your life, too.”

Kyuhyun forced a chuckle. He was surprised that Donghae got everything right. “So? That doesn’t impress me. I don’t really care about my family background. And don’t act like you know me or my stupid life story. You don’t have a clue of what I’ve been through.”

“I don’t care if you’re sick and dying. I only care about Charlie.”

“You care? That’s a first. Weren’t you going out with Jessica? Or was it Jaime? Wait, how many girls have you shagged? Last time I checked, you dissed Charlie for her. Not really a heroic act but it could be bonus points for me. Yes, I like Charlie. Or perhaps, maybe I’m in love with her now but what do you care? It’s not like you love her. Arranged marriages are totally archaic and 98% of it doesn’t come out successful.”

“I never shagged with anyone if that’s what you’re trying to imply. Fine, I’ve dated hundreds of girls but that doesn’t mean I’m not willing to change.”

“You? Change? For Charlie? Wow. Who are you and what have you done to Lee Donghae?”

“Shut it, Cho Kyuhyun. If you’ve been so mad at me before, why didn’t you say anything?”

“I’m not mad at you. How could you say that?”

“Oh, and what is this rubbish? Emotional heart talk? Yeah, right. Enlighten me.”

Kyuhyun scoffed. “This isn’t going anywhere, Donghae.”

“You started it. I only called you for a favor but you had to create a big fuss out of the smallest things.”

Kyuhyun inhaled deeply. “Fine. What is it?”

“It’s about Charlie.”

“Is she okay?”

“She’s in the airport right now.”

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows. Was Charlie leaving? Why didn’t she say anything? “She’s leaving? But your contract with her is not yet over, right? Were you too bad to keep up with?”

“No, she’s not leaving. She’s going to visit her Mom and her sister in New York.”

“What do you want me to do?”

“I was supposed to meet her thirty-four minutes ago but appa held me here and he didn’t want me to go. He was particularly mad at Charlie. During his birthday, she kind of made a scene and defended my honor. It was amazing, actually. But appa wasn’t totally impressed. He got mad so… he’s punishing me for it but I don’t mind. What I care about is Charlie. You have to be there, at least tell her that I’m going to be late. I promised her that I’d be there.”

“Oh, . You’re falling in love with her.”

“What? Wait, what? I am? How do you know?”

“You changed. You’re not supposed to care but… you do. This is overwhelming. Who are you and what the hell have you done to Donghae?”

Donghae lets out an impatient whimper. “Stop it, will you? This is no time for jokes. Go to her and tell her I’m going to be late.” He pauses then lets out a defeated sigh. “Fine. Maybe I do. Maybe I am falling in love with her. And I don’t know what to do. This is a, a whole level to compete with. I don’t even… I don’t know what to do so don’t laugh at me. Because if you were in my shoes, I’d laugh at you as well.”

“Then laugh. Laugh at me and I’ll laugh at you. We’ll both laugh at each other. We’re crazy, right?”

“I’m not talking girlish stuff to you.”

“Same here.”

“So, can you do it? Tell her I’m going to be late. Tell her I’m really going to be there but I just have to deal with appa.”

“Fine. But just so you know, I’m doing this for her. Not for you.”

Donghae laughed sarcastically. “Of course. I don’t expect you to do it for me. I’m going to hang up. I have to find ways on how to escape from appa. For the meantime, keep her safe, will you? Take care of her while I’m not around.”

“And oh yeah,” Kyuhyun adds before Donghae hangs up. “May the best man win.”

Kyuhyun ended the line. He knew he heard Donghae’s amused laugh before hanging up. Kyuhyun gave a little laugh, too. For three things, Kyuhyun was absolutely positive. First, he is falling in love with Charlie. Second, Donghae is in love with Charlie and is willing to take their fake marriage into a whole new level. And lastly, both of them are willing to fight. One can only hope to be chosen. Kyuhyun wishes he will be…

“Charlie! Hold on!” Kyuhyun has never seen Charlie that mad before. Maybe she was really disappointed. Of course, she would be. Donghae had promised to be with her but he didn’t show up. If only Kyuhyun could explain to her what really happened and why Donghae wasn’t able to come, maybe she’d change her mind.

“Why did you have to come?” Charlie asked impatiently. She didn’t stop walking but only maximized her speed. “I didn’t tell you to come, did I? Go back, Kyuhyun. I don’t need you here. Why were you even here in the first place? You’re just going to be a nuisance. I don’t need any of that right now.”

Kyuhyun lets out a sigh. “You need Donghae.”

Charlie scoffed, actually stopping at the mention of his name. “I don’t. And I can prove that.”

“Really?” Kyuhyun asks in disbelief. “Because seeing you right now, frustrated, I don’t think you can.”

“I’m not crying,” Charlie insisted stubbornly. “Stop it. I don’t want to hear anything from you. Just go home.”

“Stop being so stubborn,” Kyuhyun snapped. “You may fool anyone but you can’t fool me.”

Charlie bit her lip, fighting back the tears that were forming in her eyes. “I wasn’t… supposed… to cry…”

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. He buried his hands inside his pockets, letting out an annoyed sigh. He can’t believe this. He’s comforting her and he can’t even do anything besides that. He wanted to kiss her, too. He wanted… well, he wanted a lot of things. Maybe he’s going to have to wait. He pulled Charlie towards him and wrapped his arms around her. Hugging her tight, he comforted her.

What hurts him the most is that one thing that keeps on replaying inside his mind: she loves Donghae. And he can never change that. At least that’s what he thinks.


 

I don't knowwww lol. I'm so drained. I have endless activities for more than 12 hours and I didn't get enough rest.

What the heck. I think I should take a break or something, you knoooow.

Heeeelllo, comments are loved. Subscribers are loved. All of you guys are loved forevermore x