Chapter 3

A Beast In Human Clothes

“Are you sure you’ll be alright?” The woman stared at Minhee, her voice filled with concern.

Minhee nodded. “Of course.” I’m used to being alone anyway.

She stared at her with skeptical eyes. “Okay.”

Minhee handed her the coat she was holding. The woman accepted it with a grateful smile and quickly slipped it on. “You know, Minhee.”

“Hmmm?”

“You seem very aloof lately.” She said. “Is it because of that?

Minhee’s body turned rigid with the mention of that. She knew what she meant even if she didn’t say anything. Minhee’s shoulders tensed, her heartbeat quickened, and her palms sweat. She told herself to calm down but her body wouldn’t listen.

“Listen, Minhee. It wasn’t your fault.” The woman placed a comforting hand on Minhee’s shoulder in hopes to calm her down but failed. Sighing, the woman removed her hand and stared at her, her eyes pooling with concern. “You did what you had to do.”

Minhee nodded but she knew she was wrong. It didn’t have to go that far. Nobody deserved that. I should’ve stopped myself but I couldn’t. I couldn’t control myself.

“It happened a long time ago, Minhee. It’s best if you just forget about it.”

The woman smiled and gently patted Minhee’s head. “Good. Now,” she said placing her hand at the doorknob. “I have to go.” She opened the door and went outside.

She took a few steps forward before she turned around. “Do what you have to do to be safe.”

“Goodbye Auntie.”

She smiled. “Goodbye, Minhee.”

 

As Minhee closed the front door she felt a wave of loneliness hit her. She was alone again but that was nothing new. She pushed the feeling away. This is something that she should be used to by now.

 

“Mommy, why are they taking that man away?” A young Minhee asked her mother as she stared at the man that was now being cuffed by the police.

Minhee’s mother looked at her daughter, a feeling of pride and joy surged her. Her daughter was perfect in her eyes. She was beautiful, smart, loving, and most of all she has a kind heart. She can even feel bad for a convict. “Because that man did something bad.”

“What did he do?”

“I don’t know, sweetheart.” She shook her head.

“Where are they taking him?” Minhee wondered.

Her mother smiled and patted the top of her daughter’s head. “Somewhere far away.” She said. “So he can’t do anything bad anymore.”

“Won’t he be lonely?” The little girl’s eyes widened with sadness.

“Well,” Her mother crouched in front of her daughter and tapped her chin in thought. “He might be but I guess that’s the price you have to pay when you do something bad.”

Minhee nodded in understanding. Her mother stood up and took the little one’s hand and started walking. “I guess I’ll never do anything bad.” Minhee murmured.

“Why?” Her mother mused.

“Because I never want to be alone.” Minhee answered, her eyes watering a little. It was Minhee’s greatest fear after all – being alone.

Her mother gazed fondly at her. “I’ll never let that happen to you.”

“Pinkie swear?” Minhee asks and held up her pinkie finger.

“Pinkie swear.” Her mother said as they intertwined their pinkies.

 

Minhee’s eyes watered at the welcome memory. She quickly wiped away her tears and put on a brave front. It was an unwelcome memory after all. It was something she didn’t want to remember. She didn’t need to be reminded of what she used to be. It wasn’t always like this. There was a time where she lived a normal life, a life where neither did she have to live in isolation nor with the fear of people finding her.

 

She shook her head pushing all the thoughts and memories away and went inside her room. There’s no point in thinking about it now. She made her way towards her bed. Nothing’s going to change anyway. She closed her eyes and waited for sleep to take over. Nothing’s ever going to change.

 

Minhee’s eyes opened when she heard a faint sound coming from downstairs. She stood up, alert. What was that? Quietly, she tiptoed her away from her bed, going towards the direction of the door, where she pressed one ear. Her eyes widened with shock. There it is again! She closed her eyes and thought about what sound it was. It sounds like footsteps. Panicking, she took the baseball bat that resided near her door and took a deep breath. She went outside making sure to be as quiet as possible.

 

As she descended down the stairs, she saw the backside of a man, he as big about 6 feet tall. How did he get here? She thought.

 

What are you doing here?”  Minhee asked clutching the baseball bat closely to her chest.

The man slowly turned around and faced her.

“I’m Zelo.” He said.

“I didn’t ask for your name.” Minhee spat. “What are you doing here?” Minhee asked a second time.

 

Zelo was at lost for words. What am I even doing here? He wondered. He considered telling her that she saw a woman come out of the bushes and checked it out but ultimately decided against it. He thought of numerous ways to explain to her that he isn’t dangerous and that he didn’t want any trouble.

 

Minhee on the other hand, took his silence for a sign of danger. He’s dangerous. She thought.  He shouldn’t be here and what if he’s a part of them? Her eyes widened with the thought. And if he’s one of them, he must be planning on getting revenge. Her grip on the bat tightened and prepared herself to plummet it into his head if things go bad.

 

“Answer me!” Minhee yelled, growing impatient.

Zelo raised his hands in front of his chest. “Look, I don’t want any trouble.” He said, inching closer towards her. “I just went her to dry off.”

Minhee didn’t believe him.  Dry off? She almost scoffed at his face. “How did you even get here?” She asked, her patience growing thin.

“Look.” He said and took a step forward. “I don’t want any trouble so just put the bat down and let me go.”

“Get away!” Minhee screamed, when he was close enough. He can’t get near me. “Back-off! I won’t hesitate to plunge this at your skull!” She warned waving the bat in his face.

He stopped and contemplated his choices. Do as she says with the risk of the cops showing up or try to talk some sense into her. She wouldn’t. Would she? Warily, he took another step forward but before he could set his foot at the floor, “STOP!” She yelled. He stopped mid-air and stared at the girl in front of him. She looked fierce and almost scary but he knows she wouldn’t hurt him. He stared at her as he placed his foot at the floor.

 

“!” He screamed as he collapsed at the floor. A jolt of pain ran through his veins. It felt like as if someone had electrocuted him. And before he knew it, he out.

“Oh no…” Minhee ran towards him, panic registering at her. “No.” She shook her head. “Not again.”

The voice of her aunt wandered in Minhee’s brain. Do what you have to do to survive.

 

“Are you leaving?” Minhee asked, looking up from her book.

Her mother smiled at her. “I’m just going to buy groceries.”

“But it’s raining.” Minhee whined.

Her mother chuckled at her daughter’s concern. “The grocery is only a few blocks away.”

Minhee frowned but agreed with her. “Okay but be quick.”

“Of course. And don’t worry about me. I can take care of myself.” She jokingly said. “I’ll even buy you some fruit.” Her mother said, as she placed a small kiss on Minhee’s right cheek.

“Bye mom.” Minhee waved. “Be safe!”

Minhee’s mom smiled and went outside.

 

Seconds, minutes, and hours passed but Minhee’s mother was still nowhere to be seen. What is taking her so long? Minhee wondered in agony. She stared at the clock: 11:47 PM it said. She didn’t like to be alone especially after her father left. The presence of her mother was calming and almost therapeutic, in a way.

 

Minhee stood up, determined. I should go find her. She thought. She had already lost her father; there was no way she’s going to lose her mother, too. Minhee took an umbrella and went outside, in hopes of finding her mother.

 

“Mom!” Minhee yelled. Crap, it’s really dark, I can’t see a thing! Minhee fished the phone in her pocket and quickly dialled her mother’s number. “I’m sorry but the number you are dialling cannot be reached. I’m sorry but the-“ Acting out of anger, she ripped her phone’s battery and threw it to the ground. “Mom! Are you here?” She yelled.

 

Minhee ran towards the grocery store, asking around if people saw her mother.

“I’m sorry but have you seen my mother?” Minhee asked the woman who crossed in front of her and showed her a picture from her wallet.

The woman stared at the picture but shook her head. “No.”

Minhee nodded and backed away from her. She stared at the ground, tears threatening to fall. When she heard someone yell.

“All right, people. There’s nothing to see here. Keep moving!”

Minhee looked up and saw a frustrated police in front of a large crowd. She ran towards him, pushing the people out of her way.

 

“Someone got stabbed.” She heard someone whisper. “What a shame as well, I always saw her buying fruit for her daughter in the grocery store.” Someone whispered back. “What happened?” The woman asked. “A mugging gone wrong, apparently she didn’t want to give up her money and kept screaming ‘Get away, my daughter is waiting for me at home!’ She should have just given her money.” She shook her head sadly. The woman opened to say something else but spotted Minhee. She quickly closed . “Hush. It’s her daughter.” She said in a hushed voice.

 

No. It can’t be. Minhee thought as she pushed her way in front of the crowd. They’re wrong. It’s not her.

 

When she reached the front of the crowd, all the colour drained from Minhee’s face when she saw the person in front of her. She stepped over the police tape and ran towards the person on the stretcher.

 

“Mom…” Her voiced cracked. “Minhee…?” Minhee’s mother looked at her daughter and gently caressed her cheek with her blood soaked hand. “Minhee, sweetheart, is that you?” Minhee’s eyes watered. She grabbed her mother’s hand and nodded. “Mom, it’s me.” Her mother smiled and looked at the sky. “Thank God, you’re safe. I’m sorry, I couldn’t keep my promise.” Minhee shook her head. “No, no, no, no, no. Mom, don’t say that, please.” Minhee begged. “Come here, sweetie.” Her mother urged her. Minhee went closer. “You’re special, sweetheart. You can do things that others can’t but don’t let that change who you are.” Her mother touched Minhee’s face and caressed it gently. “Never let them change who you are.” Her voice cracked and tears fell from her eyes. “There’s always going to be tough choices in life. Always do the right thing. If it’s easy don’t do it. I’m sorry, sweetheart. I love you. Stay safe.” Her mother said as she closed her eyes and fell asleep; never to be woken up.

 

Minhee closed her eyes and shook her head quietly. When she opened her eyes again, she looked at Zelo’s face. Do what you have to do to survive. She thought as she stared at the knife in her hands.

 
 
 

Hi there! :D Sorry for the late update, I was just really busy with school lately. Anyway, thank you for reading! I hope you leave a comment and subscribe! <3 Thank you for everything~ <3