Of Coffee and Dates

It has to be KyuSung/YeKyu

Title: Of Coffee and Dates
Author: rhenny
Pairing: KyuSung/YeKyu
Genre: Fluff, Romance, AU
Rating: G
Length: one-shot
Prompt: Coffee (wildcard)
Summary: In which Yesung gets a date thanks to Ryeowook
Word Count: 1,756
A/N: Hi there everyone :) I know the challenge is already finished (AND OUR OTP IS BACK TOGETHER NOW! OH YEAH!) but I decided to post this one as a gift to my precious friend Chimaki, who never fails in giving me gifts! Happy Birthday Chimaki! I love you! お誕生日おめでとうございます。
5/20 oh yeah! sorry for errors and incoherence ;A;
Thank you for reading this^^ Fighting!
Inspiration for the fic!

 

Yesung entered the coffee shop with hurried steps for he knew he was late for his shift. The chimes rang as he opened the door and his senses were overwhelmed by the calm and cozy environment of the coffee shop. The smell of coffee drifted in the air and it somewhat calmed Yesung down.

"Yesung Hyung! You're finally here!" Ryeowook shouted behind the counter as he gave the order of an old lady. "Here you go Ma'am." He smiled at the lady and waved her goodbye.

"Sorry I'm late," Yesung apologized, putting his brown apron with the store's logo and his nameplate. "I slept late yesterday."

Ryeowook's eyebrows shoot up. "Oh. Did your date turn out well?"

"Nope," Yesung sighed and shook his head. When a costumer approached the counter, a smile automatically appeared in his face as he greeted her and asked what her order is.

"What happened? Tell me! You know how interested I am in your love life," Ryeowook playfully elbowed Yesung as he cleaned the working area while Yesung made the costumer's order. "Is she ugly? Or did she do something that even you would find very weird? That's something. Considering that you do lots of weird things such as touching other people's philtrum and creeping behind them."

"I'm not weird. I'm just unique." Yesung wished he knew how to roll his eyes. He just chuckled as he gave the costumer her order with a wide smile that made her swoon.

"My date wasn't a she," Yesung told Ryeowook just a bit louder than a whisper. He knows that the younger was capable of putting two and two together.

Ryeowook's face shifted from confusion to understanding in an instant. "Oh..." Ryeowook nodded in acceptance, as if he just had the discovery of his Hyung's life, "That explains why you never pay attention to the female costumers that swoons for you."

"Don't exaggerate Ryeonggu. I treat everyone kindly and fairly."

"Exaggerate? Says the man who always has girls that are throwing their body at you. Do I need to remind you of the incident where a costumer literally threw her body at you? Right here," Ryeowook pointed at the counter. "She toppled over the counter trying to get her hands on you."

Yesung laughed and cringed at the memory at the same time. "Do not remind me of that accident."

Ryeowook laughed too. "I think she defied some Physics laws so she could faint over the counter into your arms."

"Get going or you'll be late to your class."

"Aye aye teacher!" Ryeowook removed his apron and started to make his way to the staff room.

"Don't forget to change what is written on the blackboard!" Yesung told Ryeowook, pointing at the board perched above the display shelf, before he greeted the next customer with a smile.

Unknown to Yesung, Ryeowook's eye glinted with mischief. "I won't!" he answered as he snickered, getting the eraser and chalk to write at the "Today's Special is..." board.

After writing on the board, Ryeowook grabbed his bag and waved Yesung goodbye. Yesung could see Ryeowook outside of the cafe talking to someone taller than him. Yesung did not see the face for he focused on pouring the drink that the costumer ordered, but it looked like Ryeowook knew the guy for he talked to him animatedly, pointing at the guy to Yesung. Yesung just shrugged it off and continued serving the forming queue in front of the counter.

-

"Is that everything?" Yesung asked the taller man. He smiled so wide that he felt this face getting stretched as he expertly put whipped cream on the strawberry and cream frappe order of a young woman, who, for some unknown reason, looked disappointedly at Yesung. The woman schooled an heartbroken expression but Yesung shrugged it off and gave the woman her order with a professional smile and "I hope you enjoy your drink."

"Umm... I-I," the man opened his mouth, but closed it again. It kinda reminded him of the goldfish he was fond of looking at the pet shop. The man looked like he wanted to tell Yesung something important, but he has not found enough courage to do so. He wanted to pinch or at least pat the other's cheek and tell him he is so cute.

Yesung checked if something was off of him and if the man was just shy to tell him about it. When he was sure that his appearance was ok, no dirt on his face or something in stuck in his teeth, Yesung's eyes lingered back on the man in front of the counter. The man was the only costumer considering that it was the store's dead hour.

Yesung might not admit it aloud, but he found the stranger attractive and cute. Definitely cute. He wouldn't mind if the man just stood there all day for him to stare at.

The man was a regular in their cafe, but he never ordered from Yesung. He was always in the little corner of the cafe sitting on the table meant for two people and he already has a drink, most likely served by Ryeowook. He and the man never had a conversation before except the niceties they exchanged when the man leaves the cafe.

He looked younger than Yesung even though he is a few inches taller than Yesung. He was not wearing a school uniform, but he got a backpack, so he might be a university student. The clothes he wore could be described as comfortable and warm, very different from Yesung's choice of clothes when he isn't working. He looked like the ideal man of many adolescent women (but Yesung's pretty sure that even old ladies would like the man). The features of his face were handsome and striking. In Yesung's opinion, the man's most notable feature was his blushing face. The man's whole face was often colored red.

"I-I would like one blueberry muffin," the man tapped at the display shelf without looking away from Yesung.

"You're pointing at croissants," Yesung chuckled, amused at the young man. "The muffins are freshly baked and I ate some earlier so I assure you that it tastes really good."

The man coughed, trying to hide from Yesung his face that was turning a deeper shade of red. This time, he looked at the display shelf and pointed at the blueberry muffins, which were at the opposite side of the croissants.

Yesung punched the items at the POS, while the man got his wallet and paid for his order.

"Lemme prepare your order," Yesung said after giving the man his change. He was expecting for the man to move to the waiting area, but he lingered in front of the counter. Yesung shrugged and didn't find a reason to argue for there were no other costumers.

Yesung hummed as he prepared the drink of the man. He was aware that the man is interested in him (as much as Yesung was interested in him). The man was staring at him like he wanted to blurt out his attraction for Yesung.

Actually, Yesung has been getting interested and hungry gazes from other costumers, males customers to be exact ever since his shift started. As a barista in a popular coffee shop, he was used to being stared upon by female customers a lot (especially by students and office women, and even old ladies too), but being ogled by men was a very different experience. They kept on chatting him up, asking if he would like to hang-out, and leaving pieces of paper with their number on it. Three hours into his shift and the pocket of his apron was already full of the numbers.

Did Ryeowook do something?

After finishing the order, Yesung handed the man his cup of coffee jelly frappe and the blueberry muffin in a tray.

The young man was still looking at him expectantly, prompting Yesung to ask, "Would you like anything else?"

"Dinner."

"Dinner?" Yesung frowned. He was pretty sure that they didn't sell food that can be considered as dinner and it was only 2:30 pm, hours away from supper time.

The man looked at Yesung through his long dark eyelashes, shyness and determination shining on his face. "Let's go out and eat dinner together."

"Are you asking me out on a date...?" Yesung trailed off for he doesn't know the name of the other.

"My name is Kyuhyun," the man, named Kyuhyun helpfully supplied. "Would you like to go on a date with me later?"

"Kyuhyun," Yesung repeated the name of the handsome man, trying how it feels in his mouth.

Upon hearing Yesung call his name, Kyuhyun blushed again, but this time he was smiling. "I've wanted to ask you out on a date ever since I saw you, but I don't have the courage to even talk to you or introduce myself."

Yesung smiled back, he felt his face heating up too. He was glad there were no other customers in the line to disturb them.

"Um Ryeowook told me that I stand a chance in asking you out," Kyuhyun mumbled.

"He said that?" Yesung raised his eyebrows as he leaned against the counter, amusement evident in his voice. "Are you trying to hook me up?"

"N-no. I've been coming to this cafe for a month now. I-I've been pining on you for the past month but I can't bring myself to interact with you." Kyuhyun chuckled and added, “I can’t even order coffee from you because I might embarrass myself in front of you.”

'How cute,' Yesung cooed mentally.

"And there's that." Kyuhyun pointed at the board on top of the display shelf.

When Yesung grabbed the board, he read:

Today your barista is:

1. Very gay (and handsome)
2. Desperately single

For your drink today, I recommend:

You give me your number <3

"That Ryeowook..."

"Um... Here is my number," Kyuhyun placed a piece of paper with his number in it.

"I won't be accepting that."

Kyuhyun looked so devastated and heartbroken; ready to flee from the scene but Yesung laughed and patted Kyuhyun's cheek before grabbing the paper.

"I'll be writing my number there so you might as well keep it." He grabbed a pen in the counter and wrote his number on the opposite side of the paper Kyuhyun used. It might be an expensive stationary judging the fine texture of the paper, but he didn't ask Kyuhyun.

"Here is my number and it will be lovely to have a date with you."