{1}

Exchange

Sounds of little chatters and utensils clinking filled the calm morning. Every seat was filled and every table was filled with foods of all kind. From human blood in glass wines, raw meat served on steak plates and human food on some demons’ and angel’s plate.

Some are here for a vacation and some are just lost wanderers and decided to drop by. Amidst the mini commotion, there stood a girl, examining her guests and staffs moving around the dining hall. ‘Director Kwon Dayoung’ was engraved on her golden name tag that was pinned proudly on the left of her white dress shirt.

A shriek was heard from afar, a group of vampires on vacation filled the seats at the balcony. Everyone one turned their heads to the source of the shriek and Dayoung was no different from the guests. She took bold and long strides across the room, the sounds of her clinking heel against the marble floor filled the silence

“What is the matter here?” A very faint smile was present on her lips, enough to show her courtesy and manners

“Why is this human blood? I personally ordered for animal blood when I applied for the hotel. My diet is ruined now” The woman rolled her eyes, showing her annoyance at the management

“I’m sorry ma’am. There must be some malfunction in the system and the kitchen wasn’t notified. I will served you drink in a moment” Dayoung bowed her head slightly and walked away

“No! I want my refund back. What is this crappy management?”

Dayoung took a deep breath and her eyes wandered around the room searching for one particular person “Junmyeon!” Her eyes locked with his and he ran up to her “Find that guest’s information. I want it now”

Junmyeon gave a slight nod and walked away to do his duty. Dayoung served the guest a glass of animal blood; nonetheless she still drank it despite having dissatisfaction towards the hotel.

Junmyeon finally appeared with a piece of paper in his hands. The guest information and detailed were printed black and white on the paper. Dayoung smirked a little upon reading the details. The ‘Special Requests’ box was left empty.

“I’m sorry ma’am but apparently we can’t give you a refund as stated in your details that you didn’t fill in the ‘Special Requests’ section”

“Are you trying to victimize yourself? Don’t you know the customers are always right?” The lady raised an eyebrow at Dayoung

“Yes I know but I don’t tolerate injustice here and since you already have your human blood, I guess the case is done. Have a nice breakfast ma’am” Dayoung smiled slightly and excused herself “Stupid vampire” Dayoung muttered under her breath

Other guests were back to attending their breakfast. The vampire guest was a pretty hot topic among the staffs for the whole day. The clock struck 8 o’clock, Dayoung placed her pen down, closed her file and heaved out a sigh. A faint knock was heard on the wooden door and a familiar figure walked in.

Dayoung had to open her eyes wide as her eyelids were threatening to fall after a very tiring day and examined the visitor that entered her office casually. Dayoung broke into a smile the moment she realized the visitor with a paper bag in his hand

“Yixing...” Dayoung pointed to the couch, motioning to the older guy to sit

“How are you doing?” Yixing took out the packages of food from his paper bag and laid them down on the coffee table

“Surviving” She let out a little laugh and Yixing nodded in return

“Eat up then” Yixing passed the chopsticks to Dayoung

Dayoung nodded and took a bite of her meal. Yixing continued to watch as Dayoung continued her meal while he slipped in some stories of his day.

“Anyways, you dad is going to drop by late at night. After he’s done with whatever work he is doing”

Dayoung groaned in annoyance at the impromptu appearance of her father, ruining the rest of her schedule for the night which included a bubble bath and a good night sleep “I want to go home though”

Yixing let out a little laugh but before he could respond someone barged in without a knock. Knowing well who it was, Dayoung and Yixing stood up to greet the visitor

“Busy?” Jiyong pulled Dayoung in for a hug and patted her back

“Surviving”

Yixing chuckled a little at the same answer she gave to Yixing a few moments ago and now she’s telling it to her father.

“Good to hear that” Jiyong ruffled his daughter’s hair and settled himself comfortably on the couch

The only time you’ll see Kwon Dayoung drop her facade is when she’s with her family. A gentle expression replaced her stone-like expression, a wide smile carved on her lips instead of a thin, courteous smile, her laughs were more sincere and happy.

Jiyong was no different from his daughter. He was all smiled and babied his daughter more than anyone else. Dayoung almost didn’t believe that her father is the King of Avillion. The father and daughter pair continued to talk the night away –Dayoung completely forgot about her bubble bath- while Yixing left halfway as he had to fulfill his angel duties.

"Kim Taehyung." 

The teacher called out the orange-haired boy from in front of the class, snapping the oblivious boy out of his daydream. He blinked and looked around. The whole class is looking at him. Taehyung raised an eyebrow questioningly while mouthing 'what?' to his seatmate Jimin. The latter pointed towards the teacher in front of them.

"Y-yes teacher?"

Taehyung cleared his throat, standing up from his seat. His classmates are staring at him intently, making him uncomfortable."Did I make another mistake?" Taehyung whispered to Jimin who is looking up to him. Jimin just lift his shoulder, shaking his head."I don't know."

Taehyung averted his attention towards the female teacher in front of him who is holding papers in her hand. The teacher flashed a smile towards Taehyung. She extended her arms to Taehyung to give him a paper "Congratulations, Kim Taehyung."

He blinked a few several times in confusion and look from the paper to the teacher back to back."Thank you, teacher. But-"

"Class! Taehyung got the highest mark for the essay on Avillion. Please give him a round of applause!"

The whole class clapped for him and Taehyung took the paper from the teacher. He still remembered that he finished the essay the night before the due date. He stayed up late to finish it while everyone was asleep.

"I am amazed by how you can write the characteristics of each C'reatures so detailed and perfectly." The teacher or as everyone knew, Miss Park smiled at him.

Taehyung grinned in return and nodded while rubbing his nape awkwardly. It was still weird for Taehyung since he doesn’t pay attention about Avillion that much in class. He didn't go to the library or surf the internet to search for C'reatures information like others.

Instead, the information was already in his head as if it was carved on his brain. It was like a scar you got when you are a child. You can't remove it and you don't know where it came from. Oh, childhood. Taehyung don't have childhood. What he knew was the Black Organization found him unconscious when he was barely three in a dark alley. They said he didn't remember anything, beside his name. As if someone deleted his memory. He only knew that his name is Taehyung. He got the last name Kim from the Black Organization.

Taehyung sat back in his seat, a serious look on his face. Jimin is peeking at his paper from Taehyung's shoulder."Wow, perfect score. That's a rare thing for Miss Park..." Jimin stared at the paper with wide eyes.

"Hey Taetae, how can you get that score?" the class president, Seokjin put an arm around Taehyung while raising his left eyebrow.

"....I never saw you study, though. Or do you study in secret? Avillion is a hard subject you know." Seokjin continued, narrowing his eyes at Taehyung. Taehyung hesitates for a while before answering "Well, you know...I am a genius." he nervously laughed, trying to avoid Seokjin's eyes. The latter sneered in return.

The bell rings, indicating the school is over. Taehyung sighed in relief. At least his friends won't ask him any more questions and just focus on going home. ‘Home...' Taehyung thought to himself. His friends who are excited about going home are already lifting their backpacks over their shoulder. Some of them already left the class. Taehyung doesn't have a home. Well, a home is a place where you can spend your time with your family and create good memories, right?

There's no such place as home to Taehyung. Every day, he would wonder to himself what it would feel to reach home with all your family members waiting for you. Heck, Taehyung doesn't have a family. He quietly put his books in his yellow backpack.

"Hey Tae, want to go to my home today?" a teenager with a big pair of eyes stares down at Taehyung who remains seated in his place. Taehyung bit his lower lip, hesitant.

"Sorry Jungkook.. I got some important things to do today. Maybe next time?" Taehyung put a sorry look on his face, trying to assure the latter. It’s not that he didn't want to go to Jungkook’s house, but Chief told him to come at the meeting place early today. Chief....

"Ah, really? It’s okay...See you tomorrow, bye!" Jungkook waved at Taehyung and exit the classroom, leaving Taehyung all alone in the class.

All of his friends are younger than him by 2 years, but none of his friends seem to found out about it. You must think that he must be stupid to be studying with people younger than him, right? He thinks so too. But he wasn't that stupid. He was actually a genius. He should be in university and could be taking PhD but in order to protect his real identity, the Organization changed his age and his origins.

Taehyung checked the time on his wristwatch carefully. He still has 40 more minutes before the time Chief assigned all the members to meet. ‘Guess I still have time...'

Taehyung walked to the place he called 'hiding place' alone. He has been 'hiding' there since he was three, so most of his childhood was spent there. Unlike most children, he spent most of his childhood training for some war that he doesn't even know the purpose.

 

'Why should I fight?'

'Why am I doing this?'

'Why must it be me?'

 

Everyday these questions would run through his mind and he's sick of it. The Black Organization said he must do this for the sake of the Mundane. 'Argh, it, life's too boring' 

He learned martial arts since the first day the Black Organization brought him in. For some unknown reasons, the Organization is really strict on him, more than other trainees. Yes, there were other trainees who are training for the same purpose as he is.

But the truth is, none of them really understand. At the Organization, they would teach you about C'reatures. What is C'reatures? They said it was the citizens of Avillion, the other dimension in this world. Most people think Demons, Angels, Faeries and other mystical creatures doesn't exist.

Taehyung thought so too.

But he couldn't deny that fact either, since they got a proof on that. Taehyung still remember that he saw the black wings on the Chief's back once when he was 15.He then remembered Devils have black wings on their back. The thought of it was frightening to him. He also thought it was weird why the Chief has red hair.

If the Chief was really a Devil, then why would he be in this Mundane world? Shouldn't he be with C'reatures? The Chief was also fighting on the human side, not the C'reatures. Taehyung shook his head, trying to prevent his assumptions go any further.

He reached the hiding place. The place looks like a normal apartment from outside, but it is not anything like your typical apartments. This one has a basement where the trainees would train martial arts and study about strategies.

"Taehyung, the Chief is waiting in the meeting room," a woman in her mid-forties already waiting for Taehyung at the entrance."Thanks, Miss Song"

Taehyung nodded at her, forcing a smile. The woman walked away, leaving Taehyung alone, staring at the door in front of him. It was obvious that it was the meeting room, it was engraved on the metal plate attached to the door.

He knocked on the door, but there was no reply. Taehyung look around, trying to find a hint of Chief. Nothing. 'Weird...'

Taehyung peek through the keyhole, trying to see if Chief is in there. No movement. Taehyung backed away but his back bump against something. Or someone.....

He turned around to see a tall guy with a wine-red hair staring down at him, a smirk displayed on his lips. The guy is holding a black file in his right hand, he is wearing a black shirt and black leather pants. How in the world can this rugged-style looking guy is the guy who has been together with him, taking care of him since he was three?

"Let’s go in?" the tall guy said 'Chief Executive Jung Il Woo' is carved on the silver tag attached to his shirt. Taehyung nodded, his mouth slightly open."Sure..."

"How was school today?"

"As usual"

Ilwoo smiled to himself, nodding while looking at the teenager in front of him from head to toe. Taehyung slightly looked up at the older guy, trying to find out the meaning behind the smile. Taehyung studied his features carefully. It is weird to him that the older guy doesn't look like his age at all since 17 years ago.

His eyes, nose, lips and skin don’t look different at all. It was as if he's a doll, still looking the same even after almost 20 years. Taehyung frowned when he realized that Ilwoo has been staring at him for quite a long time.

"Hyung-I mean, Chief, why did you call me here?" Taehyung cleared his throat, trying his best to look composed. Ilwoo's stares seem to stop.

"You are a grown child now..." Ilwoo smirked.

Taehyung bit his lips in frustration. 'This guy won't get to the main point...."

"Kim Taehyung, I think it’s the right time to tell you this."

"Yes?"

"I am sending you to Avillion."