Umbrella - Final

Spirited
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

No one bothered to look at the limping 18-year-old boy trying hard to soothe his crying newborn baby at one in the morning in the hospital. He was frustrated when the boy didn't stop crying, looking for his mother to fill his empty stomach with warm milk and lull him to sleep because the new world was just too overwhelming for a small being like Sehun.

 

Imagine spending the whole nine months inside the confine of his mother's warmth and suddenly the warmth's gone along with the mother itself. He sat down as he held the whimpering baby close to his body and rocked him in his embrace back and forth with tears of somber streaming down like tap water on his face. He's weak without Suho, even weaker without his everything.

 

Chanyeol was in coma after having a severe concussion to his head due to the fatal accident. The doctor shook his head when Kris asked when will he wake up. They didn't know how he survived the accident with such head injury but sometimes we have to believe in miracle. It was bad enough Suho left him alone to survive and yet the funeral had to go on without his baby brother.

 

 

He watched as his father's funeral went smoothly despite the pouring rain forcing most of the visitors to stay at his mansion instead of attending the real ceremony at the cemetery. He wondered if someone would even come to Suho's funeral aside of his comatose brother and he himself. Kris had ordered Mr. Do to hold the funeral for his sake and he was glad the attorney agreed to take the order and the funeral ran quietly as it expected to be.

 

A few close friends came by to say farewell, teachers and the whole student body also came to pay their respect to their most beloved former president who always throws himself in front of the others when it comes to helping the needy or picking up trash on the coridor.

 

Great speeches were prepared to send him away to somewhere nice above the cloud and Kris who was there as well with crutches couldn't help but to feel guilty for the fatal accident that had caused Suho to lose his life and future. There was nothing he can say other than sorry to the friends and Mr. Do pulled him up when he kept on bowing for forgiveness at those who came though his broken leg were killing him.

 

"Dude, I feel sorry for you. It's good that you survived the accident but you can't keep blaming yourself for what had happened. Remember this, Kris, losing Suho isn't the end of everything. It's just a new beginning for you and your baby. I know it's hard but I can't keep watching your back. You'll mess up a lot after this but when you remember this, find your way back. It will worth it." Lay's hand on his shoulder felt like floating and in matter of seconds, the hand's gone and was replaced by Mr. Do's, urging him to come back to attend the reading of the will.

 

 

"He left me with nothing and this bastard got everything? This is not fair!" Kris sighed when his stepmother slapped the file on the table and stood up against the will.

 

"Madam, you must know that Kris is the rightful heir of Wu and no bastard. It was fair enough he left you with this huge mansion. It's up to Kris whether to grant you a wish or not. All of the assets is his now anyways." Mr. Do explained as the madam of the house's face turned sour. Everyone knew she hated his stepson but Kris is a strong boy, he would never fell for his stepmother's hatred. The hatred only strengthened his will to keep his father's company alive.

 

"Bull! I'm his wife! I have rights to all his assets!" The young woman insisted until Kris turned to look at her in the face with unamused expression.

 

"Oh yeah? After you embezzled millions from his company? You were lucky enough he didn't report you for misconduct. Anyway, you want a present? I'll give you a first class ticket to New York but don't you ever wish to come back here 'cause I'll do anything to get rid of you." Her eyes wide opened at the threat and paused as if thinking for a smart reply.

 

"Whatever! You can go to hell with y-your bastard child! Ughhh!" She grunted and stomped her feet out of the room. Kris threw a file towards the door before he slumped into the chair, absently played with the silver band on his ring finger.

 

Others might think Sehun is his bastard child but what people didn't know was he and 17-year-old Suho had their own stupid moment where they got into a bus to Gangwon-do during one summer holiday and got married there in a small chapel with a young priest and an old couple to witness their honest promise of forever. Both of the wedding band was Tiffany's but nothing can complete his life as well as Suho did. Four months later, Suho got pregnant and it was the most wonderful moment in his life.

 

"Mr. Do, is that the right thing to do?" Kris slumped into his seat and glanced at the smiling attorney.

 

"It's your call, Kris. Everything is yours now. No one can hold you back anymore. It's up to you to do whatever you want for your future." Mr. Do gave him a warm pat on the shoulder before leaving the late boss's office.

 

 

Unfortunately for Lay, Kris never listened to his advice at all and the boy fell deep into his own misery for years. He left Korea with his son and a nanny to start a new life in London after he received a diploma and continued his study at Oxford. He never let anyone come into his life after Suho's death and he was alone since then. Empty life wasn't something that he prepared for but he did lived with it until he knew Chanyeol finally awake from his five-year coma with memory lost and no family.

 

He pulled Chanyeol back on his feet and helped him financially with the rehab and his life using a familiar pseudonym, 1004. Chanyeol might never want to decipher the pseudonym but Kris had weeks of sleepless night before he could help Chanyeol under that name. Spelling Suho's name was hard enough for him even after years so he came up with 1004 or cheonsa which referred to guardian or Suho.

 

He remembered Chanyeol questioning the honest help from 1004 whom helped him straightened his life months after he finished his compulsory rehab. Kris freaked out but wrote him a note saying he will meet him soon after he comes up with his first painting.

 

 

Yes, painting. Apart from being hopeless in math, Chanyeol was actually quite a genius in fine arts. Started with copying famous work such as Monet, Van Dyke and Michelangelo, later he began to create his work while retaining style from 18th century art movement. Despite the memory lost, his hand never forget how to draw and sculpt magistically. Chanyeol handled his stress well by producing artwork and his style remained exceptional. Kris knew back in middle school, Chanyeol did well in his art class but never as well as he did in the rehab. His art was like Van Gogh's, loneliness and severe depression hides behind every paintings he made for reasons that he never really knew.

 

Kris remembered winning the bid for Chanyeol's Bouquet of Soul and 2.5 million dollars was paid for Chanyeol's own charity fund for freelance artists. A new art gallery was built at the corner of Seoul city so none of freelance artists' works go to waste. Chanyeol maintained the gallery himself as much he can using the leftover but there were always a generous patron who became the regular buyer of those oil paintings, who never bid below five hundred thousand dollars. Chanyeol smiled when he walked into the lobby of Wu International's skyscraper looking at a few of his abstract painting covering the dull wall with colours and hope.

 

The first time they met was when a young businessman stood in front of the Bouquet of Soul and Chanyeol stood beside him looking curiously at the equally tall man before saying, "2.5 millions was just too much for a piece of crap like this, Mr. Wu."

 

Kris smiled and asked, "How do you know?"

 

"You're my Daddy Long Leg. It's cruel to not know you. I saw you sitting at the corner with book everytime I came to my session. You came almost everyday for ten months and thought I saw nothing? I don't think you're investing in me for your own interest. There must be something..." Chanyeol turned to look at his own painting and the air ran stale f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter