cryptic

Insanity

The morning light came, announcing its’ presence ever so diligently. It felt a little irritable as I reluctantly opened my eyes to welcome its’ glory. I noticed that Krystal had been sleeping on the couch next to me and Kai was sprawled on the floor, accommodating to us two. The television still remained switched on, the ending of Breaking Dawn part 2 finally coming on.

I saw how in that scene, the leader Aro had been gleeful in seeing the vegetarian vampire Alice returned. His bloodshot eyes screamed in excitement and my mind suddenly recalled of the incident yesterday night. Their eyes had been similar; red and bloodthirsty. Now that I think about it, the entity’s eyes seemed excited at my fear. I instantly shuddered, knowing that whatever it was that I saw yesterday would probably come to visit me again tonight.

“Good morning.” A sudden voice startled my thoughts. “Slept well?”

Kai was staring at me earnestly as he sat up to stretch. He let out a little yawn as his sleepy eyes gauged for a reaction.

“Morning.” I replied before lying subtly. “I think so.”

“You think so?” He laughed as he pointed to my sister. “She practically slept on your lap the whole night. Didn’t your body went numb or at least felt uncomfortable?”

I admit I had to agree. Krystal slept like a log, not once moving from her position. It so happened that I had managed to push her away when morning came and that too, without trying to wake the sleeping princess up. A small smile formed on my lips soon after.

“And about your nightmare.” Kai finally revealed what his innermost thoughts were. “Are you dealing with it well?”

I swear that I must have turned red. Geez, as if it wasn’t embarrassing enough that Krystal had thought that I was afraid of my dead aunt, now her boyfriend had even heard me talk in my sleep? What kind of luck was this?

“It was nothing.” I answered a little too quickly for his liking.

“Of course it wasn’t.” The man frowned. “You were talking about the red eyes and all and I recalled you calling for help in your sleep.”

“Did I really do that?” Gosh Tiffany, you’re something else. “Please tell me that you heard nothing more.”

Kai only grinned as he gave me a knowing look. “And who’s Sen?”

“Oh God.” I recoiled back in embarrassment. “You definitely didn’t have to hear that.”

“But are you really doing okay, Tiff?” His teasing tone changed to that of a worried one. “You can confide in me, you know. You may not like me very much but I assure you I’ll help you all the same.”

Okay, now his sudden concern had me disappointed in myself. Why did I not really like the guy again? I bit my lips in contemplation as I laid out the possibilities before me. I wouldn’t want to worry Krystal and I knew that Chaerin would come to a weird conclusion. Heck, knowing her antics, she might even get me to see a medium. A sudden sad thought passed that perhaps I didn’t have much confidants to begin with. Kai seemed to be worried enough and since he’s so curious, perhaps it wouldn’t hurt to tell him a few things.

“I’m sorry.” I bowed apologetically. “I’ll treat you better, I swear. For now, could you help me move Krystal to her bed? The poor girl is slouched so pitifully. I’ll whip us some breakfast in the meantime and maybe we can talk about my nightmares later.”

“I’m on it.” Kai proceeded to scoop the sleeping girl in his arms.

I hate to admit it, but he looked really reliable at that point of time that I was certain Krystal was a lucky girl. I only prayed that their teenage love would last long.

The aroma of fresh eggs filled the house as I cooked up a breakfast for three. It was still very much early in the morning as the clock pointed to the number seven. I then began to wonder why had we woken up really early on a Sunday morning in the first place.

“I’m back.” Kai appeared and took a seat at the dining table. “I smell something really nice.”

“They’re just eggs.” I replied modestly. “But I’ve added milk and some other spices. It’s Krystal’s favourite. Dig in. Your girlfriend can have hers when she wakes up.”

“You should join me as well, big sister.” The man pointed to a seat opposite his. “And we can start on our little talk.”

“I’m not that hungry.” But I still went to sit, taking him up on his offer and not being in a mood to reply to his teasing. “Anyway, what did you exactly hear me say in my sleep?”

The man took a big bite of the leftover sausages on his plate before turning to me seriously.

“You were calling for help.” He pondered for a moment. “Me and Krystal, you were calling us both. Then you specifically said that the red eyes scared you.”

“And then what happened?”

“Well, you went asleep first yesterday so me and Krystal were awake and we both heard your mumblings.” Kai admitted. “Krystal continued to tease you about the red eyes asking if they were of your aunt’s.”

“And you said no.” He continued. “You said you didn’t know but that Krystal should be careful because the eyes were behind her. Honestly Tiff, you scared the crap out of us yesterday and so we left you to be.”

Somehow, it didn’t settle well with me that Krystal knew of my predicament. She was the last person I wanted to worry but I guess that was out of the question now.

“Well, would you believe me if I said it wasn’t just a nightmare?’ I meekly spoke up. “It really did happen.”

“When?” The man asked curiously. “During the black out yesterday?”

I hesitantly nodded my head as I continued. “It’s just so weird. The first time it happened, I was at work in broad daylight. But the eyes hadn’t been red then, it was yellow. And then I got this weird mark on my wrist and it has just been really chaotic since then.”

“A mark?” His eyes then lingered to my wrist. “You mean that pentagram? It wasn’t your tattoo?”

“Nope.” I shook my head with conviction. “I’m not into tattoos per say.”

“And here I thought you were into all those occult-ish stuff or something!” Kai laughed it off but somehow I didn’t found it funny.

“Well, I’m not.” I pouted. “At least not directly.”

“Krystal?” His eyes widened.

“She will never.” Now it was my turn to laugh.

He heaved a sigh of relief as his fork continued to scoop the eggs to his mouth. For a moment, it looked as if pity had flickered through his eyes as he eyed me cautiously. I didn’t find it within me to blame him at all if he found me crazy.

“You can be honest with me, you know.” I muttered at long last, breaking the silence between us. “If you think I’m cuckoo, tell it straight to my face.”

“But I don’t.” Kai had replied with such a straight face that I believed him immediately. “It’s just… I think I’ve read about this phenomenon before.”

“What phenomenon?”

“The phenomenon of a mark suddenly appearing on your body.” His eyebrows were now knitted together. “I took a sub class on it before. Occults and the Supernatural.”

“Wow.” Was all I could mumble out. “I didn’t know you had an interest in such things.”

“I do.” Kai scratched his head sheepishly. “The course is only offered to straight A students, mind you.”

“So did you cheat?”

“Of course not!” He replied defensively. “I know I may not look like it, but I do work hard when the time comes for it, especially during exams.”

“Okay, okay.” I laughed. Wow, Kai was smarter than I thought. “So what exactly did this phenomenon consist of?”

“Well, if my memories don’t fail me, it says that when a mark suddenly appears on your body, it means that there is an entity who wants to make its’ presence known to you.” The man was really serious in his words. “It also means that the entity has taken a liking to you and wants to latch itself onto you.”

“Erm, creepy.” I managed my words out as nicely as possible. “I don’t want this to happen though.”

“But it seems like it’s too late.” He eyed my wrists again. “And that pentagram…”

“What about it?”

“It’s no ordinary pentagram. See that little star in the middle of the bigger star?” Kai pointed at a star I’ve casually looked over. “That holds a deep meaning.”

“Like what?” I was pretty sure I didn’t like where this conversation was going.

“Erm, if a pentagram is shaped like that, it’s meant to represent a demon or a devil. But your mark seems to be special, Tiff. It’s not red but black. There’s a chance your mark might represent Satan himself. But of course, there has never been a case like that ever. So that’s why it’s special.”

“What?!” My voice echoed through the small room. “You can’t be serious.”

“I don’t know.” Kai seemed to be deep in thought. “That’s what I’ve read about. Maybe you can consult a priest for this?”

“A priest?” I bit my lips in contemplation. “But I’m no religious person. Do you think they’ll want to help someone like me?”

“I’m not one too.” He grinned widely. “But aren’t priests supposed to help people in need or something? If you’re really serious about it, I’m sure a priest can’t turn you away.”

“You’re right.” I managed to find light in the truth of his words.

Another silence passed over us, the only sounds in the room being that of the clinking of Kai’s cutleries. And as though a cue to break the silence, the bell to the front door rang; earning the curious stares of both Kai and myself.

Now who could be here so early in the morning?

“Maybe it’s your Sen guy.” Kai teased again but I shook my head knowingly.

I opened the front door only to be met with the eyes of a complete stranger. The man was really good looking, standing a few feet taller than me. His kind eyes seemed to hook me in to his very soul and I admit, I was really attracted to him. A slight blush crept onto my cheeks as I realised I have yet to greet the young man.

“Erm, how can I help you?” I ask warily, noticing that his eyes were searching the room behind me.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” He apologised profusely. “I didn’t mean to disturb. Are you perhaps living here?”

If he hadn’t been so good looking, I would have liked to think that I may have answered him sarcastically but instead, all I did was give a nod.

“I see.” The man then smiled at me. “By any chance, is Kai staying the night at your place as well?”

“Erm…” I didn’t know how to answer him.

I had wanted to replied truthfully, but wasn’t there a chance that the guy may have been Kai’s enemy or something? I’ve watched plenty of movies to know that chaos will ensue if I replied truthfully.

“Uh, I’m Kai’s older brother.” The stranger introduced himself. “He didn’t return my calls so I thought I’d find him here.”

“What are you doing here?” Kai suddenly appeared behind, surprising me.

Even though Kai was pouting, I sensed that his tone was a little cold and it struck me to see that perhaps the two were not exactly in the best of terms.

“You didn’t return last night.” His older brother answered coolly. “So I came to drop by.”

“I’m no longer a little kid, Luhan.” Oh, so that was the handsome stranger’s name. Wait, what are you thinking, Tiffany?

“But you’re still my little brother, okay?” The man frowned. “Gosh, kids these days. Suddenly growing up and thinking they can do whatever they want.”

“I agree.” I unknowingly sighed, earning the curious expression of the man before me. “Er, I mean…”

“Are you perhaps Krystal’s older sister?”

I nodded my head meekly as I took a good look at his face. He seemed to know more about Krystal and Kai than I did. How interesting.

“I’m sorry.” He bowed his head again. “I should have introduced myself sooner. I’m Luhan, Kai’s older brother. I’m really sorry to be barging in like this on a Sunday morning.”

“Uh, it’s okay, I guess?” My mind didn’t seem to work correctly anymore. It felt like his presence was doing that to me. “I’m Tiffany, Krystal’s older sister.”

“Luhan.” Kai called out to his brother, still standing behind me. “As you can see, everything’s okay so maybe you should leave.”

“Come on, Kai. Don’t be rude.” I chided the young man. “He’s your brother after all.”

“I’m sorry.” He sighed but admitted reluctantly. “I just got a little grumpy wondering how he knew where Krystal lived, that’s all.”

“I have my sources.” Luhan smirked before giving me an awkward smile. “Again, I’m really sorry that you had to see this unfold in the morning and on our first meeting at that.”

“No problem at all.” I answered politely. “Please, do come in and make yourself at home. I’ll get you some tea.”

A gust of wind blew as the man stepped into the house. An indescribable feeling had my stomach churned with anxiousness and my eyes met those of the man. Though his eyes seemed kind at first sight, they were unmistakably laced with amusement. But as I blinked, I was met again with the very kind eyes he had greeted me with just a few minutes ago.

The man bowed his head as he proceeded to take a seat on the couch. From the corner of my eyes, I could see how strained Kai’s expression had been before giving me a small smile as he realised that I was observing him. It dawned upon me that perhaps both Kai and Luhan didn’t have the greatest brotherly relationship as I sensed the tension in the room.

“Thank you for inviting me in.” Luhan had been the first to break the silence. “I hope I’m not an inconvenience.”

“Not at all.” I gave him the biggest smile I could muster. “Please, make yourself confortable as I bring you some tea.”

“Oh if you say so.” There it was again, the amusement in his eyes.

And somehow, I just knew that he was amused with me.

--

author's note:

i'm sorry it took thing long to update but i figured today would be the best day since there's so much negativity with SNSD on the news :/ let's just pray for the best for jesicca and the other members. And of course, Krystal as well.