Chapter Fourteen: Bitterness at the Bakery

Being Normal

June 8, 1737

In Front of the Airdrethian Castle

 

            Princess Yuna was practically flying across the ground in front of the castle.  The only way to know that she was actually running was the soft crinkle of hard ground under her feet.

            She couldn’t believe it.

            She did it.

            Princess Yuna stood up to her mother.

            And this time she was the one to make the dramatic exit.

            However, now she didn’t know remotely what to do.  Yuna was going to leave, that much she had decided, but she didn’t know exactly where she would run to.  The forest would suffice for the time being.

            It is practically my home.

            The summer air grew steadily colder as she ran in the direction of the majestic Airdrethian Forest.  The 19 year-old brushed off the feeling and continued to float across the ground as her breath grew more and more visible.

            It was only when a loud “AFTER HER” rang through the air that her graceful steps stuttered.

            The sound of thundering feet and an arctic wind roared from behind her.  Yuna firmly planted her hand on the hilt of her sword.

            She would fight.

            She would fight for herself.

            I will not stand for it any longer.

            The princess trekked on despite the supernatural wind trying to claw her back into the castle, her head hurting against the strain of her long, coal hair flying behind her.

            As snow began to storm out in front of her in flurries, blocking her eye sight, she pushed forward.

            Then came the ice, and she had no choice, but to stop.

            Princess Yuna slipped on the ground, what looked like tentacles made entirely of ice wrapped around her feet.  The wind and snow beat against her face as she landed hard on her bottom.

            The foot falls grew closer, and Yuna held in her feelings, trying to think logically for the short time she knew she would have to escape.

            How to break this ice…

            Yuna pulled her sword out of its hilt before violently smashing it against the thick tendrils that had wound around her ankles.  The ice splintered away like glass; she freed her right foot.  She was set over her left when more tentacles appeared from the ground, wrapping themselves thickly around her forearms and leg she had freed.

            “NO!” Yuna’s shriek could barely be heard over the thundering wind.

            Then it all stopped.

            The wind and snow, they all disappeared.

            The summer night’s heat returned.

            Everything went back to normal.

            But Yuna was still shackled to the ground with ice chains that wouldn’t melt.

            Queen Amethyst floated across the ground like a ghost in her lavender gown, her long platinum white hair fanned out behind her.  The deranged look upon her face added to this image; her crazy violet eyes seemed to brighten at the scene of her daughter stuck to the ground.

            “Must I drag you all the way back to the castle?  Or will you fulfill your duties, and walk back like a proper young woman?” the Queen questioned with a quirked eyebrow.

            Yuna glared.

            “I am giving you the decision, here?  I do not oppose to pulling you back there at all. I simply thought you would like to save yourself the pain.”

            “I will never ever again return to that beacon of hell willingly.”

 

June 10, 1737

Airdrethian Princess Bed Chamber

 

            “My Lady, may I ask where these wounds are from?”

            Yuna didn’t need to see to know exactly what Eunji, the maid was asking about.

            She was referring to the long scratches and few scabbed over gashes that ran along the backs of her thighs to the small of her lower back.  From what the nurses had told her (they probably lied) they had healed up “quite nicely” over the past day and a half.

            “Just a rough trip home.”

            Princess Yuna knew that Eunji had witnessed what had happened.  Her screams and cries had been loud enough for a large group of servants, and the rest of her family, to hurry outside and see for themselves what creature of sorts had made its way to Midas.

            No one had uttered a sound after they saw the source of the noise.

            Since she had been banished to her room, all of the maids and nurses who had been sent to aid her, and make sure she did not leave, had all tried to get the youngest princess to open up.  She had long decided to stay quiet to almost everyone about the situation.

            Chanyeol is the only person who deserves to know everything right now.

            Whenever Yuna thought of the Exotopian boy, she was nearly brought to tears.  What would he do when he found out the cruel truth?  How would she ever make it up to him?

            Would he still love her?

            “My friends informed me that the blue ribbons have been hung around Midas,” Eunji said, trying to engage the girl she considered her friend in conversation.

            Yuna sighed.

            The blue ribbons were hung around Midas, and the rest of the country following, for the preparation of a royal announcement of celebration. They alerted the public that something joyous was to come to the kingdom, specifically for the royal family.

            They condemned Yuna’s fate.

            Eunji stared at the back of the Princess’ head in distaste while she tied her yellow dress up her back.  Even when she was a child, Yuna never opened up easily, save for a few individuals…

            “Princess, you do know that if you ever need any sort of…help, myself and the rest of the staff are willing to aid you.”

            Yuna turned around and gave her friend a sad smile.

            “Thank you.”

            “Really, Princess, anything.”

 

            “And this is the Center Square, where we will give the big announcement this eve,” King Ephraim stated as he clutched his daughter’s hand.

            Yuna did not have the heart to tell her father that she had probably been to Midas more than he had.

            Ephraim had wanted to take his daughter on a special trip around the capital before the announcement of the festival at sunset.  In the past decade, he had not spent much alone time with his daughter, and saw this as a brilliant opportunity to do so before she potentially left forever.

            If she had been told years before that she would be given the time to stroll through Midas with her father, Princess Yuna would most likely have peed her dress in excitement and disbelief.

            Now, she just simply wanted to be alone or under the name Pixie.

            “The people are so in awe of seeing you for the first time,” her father practically giggled.

            It was true, to a degree.

            The people were sure enough, staring around in shock.

            It is because the girl who usually runs around barefoot with crowns made of tulips is wearing an actual crown today.

            When the silver and diamond embedded tiara had been presented to her this morning, Yuna had nearly vomited what little she had eaten the day before.

            She did not want to wear it.

            She did not want to even look at it.

            But like many aspects of her life over the past few days, she held no decision in wearing it.

            Her mother had been the one to fasten it tightly to the top of her head.  The object weighed heavily upon her neck.

            “Now my citizens will know that I do have a daughter who takes after my image!”

            Yuna gave a humorless chuckle.

            She knew her father was trying his best with her.  Yuna was not oblivious to the fact that he seemed almost uncomfortable with the way her mother was carrying on about the festival.  He gave her smiles and would try to tell her jokes to make her feel better, she supposed.

            “Come Darling, there is somewhere special to me that I want to take you,” Ephraim announced, pulling his youngest daughter along.

            At this, Yuna was interested.

            What in Midas could be special to him?

            However, the green-eyed girl’s stomach began to turn as he led her down a familiar path to the Exotopian Quarter of the city.

            Her heart dropped when he stopped in front of a place so near and dear to her.

            The Do Bakery.

           

            “So, why exactly have you been smiling like a bear amongst a stream of fish, Chanyeol?” Kai asked as he sat down at the table his tall friend and sister were occupying.

            “N-no reason!” the giant stuttered, his unnatural grin remaining on his face.

            “No, there’s definitely a reason!” Baekhyun shouted mischievously from the counter where he had been tormenting Kyungsoo, the shy and easily frustrated Baker.  “The previous time he had a smile like this was when his parents informed him that he was to purchase the house groceries for a week!”

            “Oh yeah, and you spent all of the money they presented you on my pastries,” Kyungsoo laughed quietly along.

            “It was money well spent,” Chanyeol retorted.

            “Anyway, what brings this grin today?” Hyoyeon questioned.

            Chanyeol looked at his large hands nervously.

            Should he tell them before Pixie – Yuna (he was still having trouble thinking of her actual name) gave him the answer for her permission?  She had not shown up the previous day, and he was growing incredibly antsy.

            But what if it’s a no…

            Impossible.  He refused to dwell on such a tragedy.

            The tinkling of the bell above the doorway to the shop brought the answer to his dilemma.

            King Ephraim was escorting Pixie, his Pixie into the Bakery.

            The four other Exotopians were in pure shock.

            Hyoyeon was entirely confused as to why Yuna was out and about as Princess Yuna.  With her father of all people!  She knew that Yuna’s family continuously overlooked spending any time with her friend.

            Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, and Kai could not fathom why Pixie was walking with the King and wearing a crown that wasn’t made of an earth material.

            “Hello, Kyungsoo! How are you today, my boy?” King Ephraim jollily greeted, holding his hand out.

            The baker took it slowly, shaking it before giving a bow of respect.

            “F-fine, sir.”

            “I wanted to enjoy one of your family’s wonderful cakes with my daughter before the big announcement this evening!”

            “D-daughter,” Kyungsoo stammered.

            Kai had to steady himself in his chair.

            “How rude of me!  This is my youngest daughter, Princess Yuna,” Ephraim introduced with a nudge.

            Yuna gave a bow to her friends, all of which were looking at her as though she had grown a second head.

            “Hello, it’s nice to meet you,” she whispered, her hands shaking.

            “Hyoyeon, Kai!” her father’s attention turned to the siblings of his son-in-law as he engaged them in conversation.

            “Princess?” Baekhyun questioned in a whisper, grabbing Yuna’s attention.  “Since when have you been a Princess, Pixie?”

            “Since always, dumb ” Kyungsoo criticized before thumping Baekhyun upside the head.  “She just didn’t tell us.  And I’m sure Pixie had her reasons for that, didn’t you?”

            Yuna nodded fast, hoping to convey that this was true.

            “I really wanted to tell you all, but-”

            “Hey, it is no issue,” Baekhyun grinned, “now, what is this announcement business I have heard buzzing about the streets?”

            “The announcement!” her father’s strong voice, brought forth the attention of the entire shop.  “Since, we are among family and friends, I do not see any reason to keep you uninformed.”

            Yuna’s stomach tied in a knot, bile began to crawl up as she met eyes with Chanyeol.

            Guilt clawed at her veins, slowly stretching its way into her head and heart.

            And despite this, she still melted under his warm gaze.

            You knew this would happen.  You knew he would find out somehow.

            “Our kingdom will be holding a festival for Yuna’s hand in marriage in two days!”

            Ephraim was surprised to be met with looks of shock, and appall?  The people always loved a good festival, it gave a large bonus to their businesses and families.

            “This Yuna?’ Baekhyun squeaked.

            “I do not know of another,” Ephraim continued, “suitors from around the world will be docking up here in Midas to compete for my lovely daughter’s hand in marriage.”

            “Can I compete?”

            The King turned in surprise to see the wiry boy, standing taller than him.  He held an expression of pure determination.

            He then looked at his daughter, and was taken aback by her deep expression as she stared at the tall boy who had offered to compete on a second’s notice.

            One line from his daughter’s speech rung repeatedly in his head as he realized he was only witnessing a small portion of what this boy must have meant to her.

            “Unfortunately,” Ephraim began, “no, you may not compete. Yuna must marry a man of royal blood.”

            “But, Prince Adrian and Princess Galleria satisfy the pure marriage clause, do they not, your Majesty?” Hyoyeon piped up, a terrible feeling taking over her insides.

            “No, as the kingdom knows Galleria is infertile, and to fully satisfy the laws, an heir is needed from two parents of royal blood.  So, Yuna must marry a royal.”

            No one moved or spoke, and even though Ephraim could not fully comprehend the connection between his daughter to these young people, he knew it ran deep.  He knew they were all inwardly lamenting.  He knew they were all, especially the tall one, hurting.

            “Kyungsoo, I would like to meet with your father after the official announcement at sunset to discuss a few large cake orders I will need for the festival.  Please notify him of this,” Ephraim looked around the shop before making his way to the door, “Yuna, Darling, I will be waiting outside. I believe that you should stay and try a cake.  Kyungsoo and his family are masters at their craft.”

            Until the day she died, Princess Yuna never knew exactly how to thank her father for the moment he had provided her with.

            The door closed softly behind him.

            “I didn’t want it at all I swear!”

            The girl’s outburst rang in the Exotopians’ ears.

            “Chanyeol, they sprang this upon me.  I was given no choice, and I did everything in my power to escape, you have to believe me.”

            Park Chanyeol looked into his little Pixie’s deep green eyes, and he cracked.

            He cracked.

            He engulfed the girl in a tight hug and sobbed.  He sobbed louder than he had ever before.  His sobbing was so true and raw, the others found it painful to watch.

            Tears of her own began to pour from her eyes as Chanyeol’s chest raked heavily against her face.

            No one knew how long they stayed like this, but it was a while until they pulled away from each other with swollen cheeks and eyes.

            Chanyeol grabbed her head and gave her a long, passionate kiss.

            Both of them knew what it meant.

            It was a kiss of sorry.

            It was a kiss of longing.

            It was a kiss of finality.

            This kiss was goodbye.


 Hey Guys!​

I know its been a looooooong time since I have updated, and I am really sorry, and mega thankful if any of you actually read this!

I haved moved away to college!  It was a thirteen hour drive to get here - but it is done!

Thank you all who have commented on the last chapter!!! It always makes me so happy to see your comments and opinions :)

Although, I am incredibly clueless as to why so many of you don't find Kris as creepy or deranged as I try to make him, hmm.  Well, we shall see what is to happen next ;)

Please continue to read, subscribe, upvote, comment, and enjoy!

Winnie