Chapter Four: Flying in the Bedroom, Crying in the Parlor

Being Normal

September 23, 1725

Bed Chamber, Exotopian Palace

 

Am I an alien?

Ten year-old Prince Kris sat in his room with his head in his hands, in deep thought.  Not moments ago, Kris had been happily throwing his alpaca doll, Ace, around his room.  To his misfortune, the toy lodged itself in between two books on top of his book case.  As much as Kris liked to believe that he was a man, he was too undergrown to reach the toy.  After a couple of seconds of pointless jumping, Kris found his body completely off the ground.

He flew.

He was flying.

He could fly?

Worst of all, he couldn’t figure out how to stop the flying.  At the moment, he was levitating mid-air in a sitting position.

Maybe I’m some strange cross between bird and boy – that could make sense.

A loud knock against the door broke the young prince from his thoughts.

“D-don’t come in!”

Despite the prince’s protests, the door flew in anyway.  Young Prince Jongdae stood in the door way, gaping at his brother who was hanging mid-air.

“Jongdae, please, don’t say a word-”

“FATHER!”

Within seconds, King Heechul was also in the door way, but instead of looking shocked or angry like Kris thought he would, a grin had coated his lips.

“The day of development begins, I see.”

Heechul was satisfied, his son was finally gaining his powers, and soon, his brothers would follow.

In ancient days, hundreds of years before our story, claims were made that the chosen leaders of ancient civilizations were supernatural, had powers, and were even specially selected by God.  Contrary to popular scientific and historian belief, these claims were not wrong, and two thirds of the royal class of Earth was special.

Unknown to little Prince Kris, the Exotopian royalty were a part of an underground association of these special royals around the world called the Society of the Gifted.  The Society of the Gifted were the individuals possessing powers or gifts who all agreed to an unspoken pact of secrecy.

Gifts, much like Prince Kris’ flight had characterized the Exotopian royalty for centuries, and provided them with important allies who were also members of the Society of the Gifted, their most important being the Airdrethian court.

 

 

October 19, 1725

Family Parlor, Royal Castle of Airdrethia

 

Why is that weird man looking at me with that funny tool?

Yuna stared uncomfortably at the “doctor” who was checking for what, she didn’t know.  Her mother just said it was a very important check-up.  So, Yuna politely sat and waited for the man to decide on whatever her mother deemed incredibly important.

Plus, she liked the filial attention she was receiving for what felt like the first time in a decade.

Two weeks had passed.

Two weeks since the first day.

It had started out normal - she and her sisters went down to breakfast.  They giggled and ate pancakes.  They prepared for their daily lessons.  They walked to the study.  But, instead of bothersome, grey-haired, plump Madame Blot awaiting them, their beloved parents were there.

“Galleria and Lorraine, mommy and daddy have a special lesson for you today.  Yuna you can go play, but you can’t go out in the garden, we’ll be working there do you understand?”

The small green-eyed princess affirmed her mother’s command and went to go find something to make a crown out of, deciding nothing important would occur if she remained.

That day was the beginning of Galleria and Lorraine’s power training.

Unbeknownst to Yuna (but entirely known by their parents, despite efforts to remain in secrecy), Galleria and Lorraine were gifted, the former with the power of frost, and the latter the gift of water.

Yuna spent the day alone, playing with dolls, making crowns, and awaiting for her family to come inside and play.

But, they never did.

At noon, Yuna ate lunch with the cooks while her family’s meal was delivered outside.  She wasn’t worried yet, lunch was not usually a family activity.

The afternoon passed.

Her family was still outside.

Yuna was still told to remain in.

Evening approached.

Her family was still outside.

When dinner hit, seven year-old Yuna knew something was off and quietly asked a maid if her family was okay.  The older woman gave a grin and said “they would surely be in soon” and to “hurry off to dinner.”

The dining hall was strictly off limits to anyone not a member of the royal family for dinner.  So, Yuna sat and ate at the long table. Alone.

Are they hurt?

Is everything okay?

I hope nothing has happened.

Mommy? Please?

It wasn’t till late in the evening that her family returned inside.  She heard their loud happy laughter from her room as they ate their dinner without her.

The days following were very much the same, except for her mornings which were now spent alone with Madame Blot, who was acting different from her brutish self.  Perhaps it was the bags under her eyes from waiting for her family to return every night, the lack of the giggle-holding grin, or the sudden absence of the colorful flower crowns that she wore every day, but Yuna could tell that for some reason Madame Blot pitied her and was acting kinder towards her.

Whatever reason caused the pity, Yuna appreciated it, but she was still miserable.

The king and queen on the other hand were absolutely ecstatic.  Within two weeks, Galleria and Lorraine were showing abundant progress, and they were closer to the nine and eleven year-old than ever before.  The girls were scared at first to see fire erupting from the hand of their father, and snowflakes from their mother, but they warmed up to the idea of being special.

The four had all but forgotten the existence of Yuna.

That is why Yuna was behaving patiently for the “doctor” who was examining her.  For the first time in two weeks someone was paying attention to her.

Ephraim and Amethyst looked on with anxious expressions, awaiting the results.

They had brought forth a Perceive, one who’s gift was to detect the gifts of others, to see what Yuna’s power would be and when it would develop.

With the success of their oldest daughters, they were hoping Yuna’s powers would arrive soon, so they could fit her into the family training as well.

Ephraim especially had high hopes for the girl, she was his only daughter that looked like him, and for that he was hoping she would be the one to possess fire essence as well.

After twenty minutes the Perceive uneasily turned back to his king and queen, unsure of how to break to them the news.

He approached quietly and asked if they could all speak somewhere private.

Ephraim’s heart dropped – this could not be good.

Once away, the two nervous royals looked to the Perceive.

“Your daughter is void.” he spoke.

“That’s impossible” The Queen’s voice broke in a loud burst.

“I’m sorry, bu-”

“It’s impossible!”

“Amethyst, calm down and let him speak.” Ephraim put a hand on his wife’s shoulder, looking again to the bearer of bad news.

“Your majesties, I’m sorry, but your daughter is void.  There was no magical essence of any kind possessing her.  I checked everywhere.”

“Please, please” Amethyst begged, tears beginning to pool from her eyes.  “She must have something.  Even an insignificant knowledge power is better than nothing.  Please.”

“I’m sorry.  She doesn’t have any knowledge, internal, conjuring, or projectile powers.  I truly am sorry.”

The Perceive left, and the Queen fell to her knees and screamed as the door closed.  The whole room froze over as angry icicles grew from the ceiling and blankets of ice covered the walls and floor.

After an hour of attempting to pull himself and his wife together, Ephraim led Amethyst out of the hallway and into the parlor, where Yuna still sat patiently.  She looked up expectantly at her parents.

“Mo-” she stopped midsentence as her mother walked through the room without sparing a single glance at her.  As swiftly as she had entered, she had left.

Yuna’s eyes watered.

What did I do wrong?

“Honey,” the King spoke to his youngest daughter, approaching her so they were eye to eye.

“Why is mommy mad at me?” she asked quietly.

“Mommy isn’t mad, she’s just…stressed.”

“Did I do something wrong?”

“Of course not baby, you didn’t do a thing wrong.  Now, why don’t you go play?  There are no lessons for today, so you can do whatever you want.  Just don’t go in the garden.  We’re busy in there.”  Ephraim gave one last look at his green-eyed child before leaving the room to go console his wife.

Yuna stared sorrowfully at her father’s back.

This was the moment in which her isolation began.


Hello Lovely People!

I'm sorry for the long hiatus, I'll do my best to update soon again.  I hope you like the chapter and the story as a whole so far.  Give me some feedback!

Don't forget to subscribe, upvote, and comment!

<3