Chapter One: Wife?

Being Normal

April 3, 1722  

Exotopian Royal Palace Study Room

 

The sky was blue, and a gentle breeze blew across the horizon while a group of small boys bounded through the grass.  In short, it was a perfect spring day.

Seven year-old Yifan detested it all.

While his five younger brothers were outside playing and enjoying the beautiful day, he was stuck inside the palace, waiting for God knows what his father wanted.

The young boy grumbled to himself and continued to peer out the window until a figure came in through the room with an eternal smile alit upon his face.

“Yifan” a deep bass of a voice called to his son.  The said boy turned to his father expectantly as he sat down with what looked like a folder.

“Father, why can’t I go outside and play, why must I remain caged?” Yifan’s undeveloped voice whined.  The man across the table continued to smile at his son.

“Yifan, my son, you are seven years old, you’re becoming a man” his father explained.  “You are also my oldest son and the heir to the throne, so because you are becoming a man, there are some man-topics you and I need to discuss, okay?”

The boy prince nodded his head in agreement.  He could not argue with his father’s logic, in his mind he was indeed becoming a man.

“What ‘man topic’ do you want to discuss today, father?” he questioned with a puffed chest.

“Well, since you are to become the King of Exotopia, don’t you think that you need a queen?” King Heechul questioned.  Yifan nodded his head, this made sense – every king had a queen, he should too.  “In the future when you come of age in a decade, you’ll need to begin to choose a wife.  A royal wife.  So, I’ve gathered up the portraits of the princesses of the neutral and allied kingdoms.  You can start to look through, it now.  This will most likely be the group of women whom you will get to choose to marry from.”

Yifan was elated.  His seven year-old self could not believe the immense power that his father was giving him.

King Heechul watched with a smile as Yifan went through the pictures, asking about each princess with an interested expression.  He would nod his small blonde head at all of the information his father gave him.  He felt like a grown-up.

“Oh!” the King exclaimed at one picture.  “These are good friends of mine, the royal family of Airdrethia.”  Kris grabbed the portrait, scanning over the pictures when his eyes stopped at one face.  “Their oldest daughter – she’s around your age – is the pretty blonde.  She would make a delightful queen-”

“Who’s the girl with black hair?”

King Heechul furrowed his eyebrows as he swiped the portrait from Yifan’s small hands.

“Who’s the girl with the black hair?” the small prince asked again.

“That’s the youngest princess, she’s four years-old if memory serves me correct.  Her name is Yuna.”

Yuna.

Yifan felt his small heart skip at her name.  He stole back the portrait and studied the small girl again.  He was fascinated with her wavy coal hair and pale skin.  Her crinkly green eyes made him feel like he was looking into the forest that composed of his home.  She was beautiful.

The most beautiful part of the small girl in Yifan’s eyes was her smile.  It was close-mouthed and looked like she was keeping in a giggle.

He longed to hear that giggle.

“I want Yuna as my queen” Yifan declared with a determined voice and looked back up at his father.  The King scrunched his eyebrows at Yifan’s haste decision.

“Son, you have plenty of time to think this over and decide, you know?”

“I want her as my queen.” Yifan said with a more sure voice.

King Heechul took back the portrait.  She was a lovely girl, not as lovely as her sisters, but lovely none the less.  As he turned over the idea of having green-eyed grandchildren he looked down at his offspring.

“I will do my best with your wish.”

 

Author's Note - HEY GUYS! So, this is my first story.  Haha!  I hope you like it.  Please comment, subscribe and upvote!