Chapter 2

Story Behind U-Kiss And How They Met
Please log in to read the full chapter

”My grandfather won the lottery and half of the money that he won is given to my dad since he is the only child.” Kyoungjae began.

”When did this happen?” Jaeseop asked, smiling.

”4 days ago.” Kyoungjae answered quickly.

This boy was really lucky. Even though he used to come from a poor family, he still didn’t quit trying to look good and he also didn’t neglect his grades. I remembered his old lifestyle a few weeks ago, having to live on ramen noodles: eating the noodles on one day, and drinking the soup on the other. I was very happy for Kyoungjae. From now on he would have a bigger bed to sleep in, some extra clothes to fit in, a bigger room and he could be more full now.

I remembered the way he looked when he saw other children buy delicious food at the canteen when he was back in primary, the way he looked so envious and sad. Now he would be able to stay full and be happy with the amount of things he could get now. Although he was very poor back then, he was the one who stayed the happiest in our group but today when he showed us his new home, he couldn’t look happier. No wonder he was very happy looking when we went to school.

Kyoungjae immediately took us upstairs to his room and it seemed like he could fit close to five king-sized beds, let alone one for himself in the room. Jaeseop’s mouth slowly dropped but mine did ages ago when we first step foot inside the home. It was decorated in the best way possible, and back then, I thought that it would be a room that every kid would die to have. I was so grateful for Kyoungjae. He deserves this life because for the past 12 years he has been living in hardship but still kept his hopes high and stayed positive.

”Guys..” Kyoungjae slowly said.. “I don’t want to be treated different because I am rich. I don’t want to be known as someone who is spoiled and mean. I don’t want people to think that I am following the ‘rich people’ stereotype and look down on me. I don’t want you guys to see me as..a-a-a different Kyoungjae.” He stuttered as tears started to form in his eyes.

Almost immediately, Jaeseop raised his voice and stated “You will be in our group and accepted no matter what happens. We have been together since 1st grade. Of course Daniel and I know the ‘rich people’ stereotypes, but we know the real Kyoungjae. And we know that the idiotic ‘I don’t care about anything but you guys’ Kyoungjae will stay with us. I just can’t imagine you being a showoff and an . Y-you will be loved by us.” as he started blushing.

We giggled and we gave each other reassuring glances. At that point, I knew our friendship was unstoppable. We were probably the best ‘best friends’ in the whole grade, even though it sounded so girly.

”Well this is cheesy. What should we discuss about, besides the new home Kyoungjae has..”

It was utter silence between us. A few moments later, a part of history was made.

”We should have nicknames so it would be ‘cooler’. Also, we are in high school, we sometimes need code names just in case if we get into trouble...We could say our nickname.” Kyoungjae began.

”I agree.” Jaeseop approved. “Well for me..hmmm.” he stated then started thinking deeply..

”I could be Dan..it’s short.” I said immediately. Jaeseop agreed, but Kyoungjae told me to pick a name that was cooler.

”JA?” Jaeseop called out. “The first two English letters of my name. I am a genius.”

Kyoungjae and I thought that ‘JA’ was too awkward. It sounds cool but there must be another name that is catchier, and hard to forget. Kyoungjae and I thought for a while. I was thinking maybe something like ‘Jae’ or ‘Seop’, excuse my plain thoughts. I had nothing on my mind at that time.

”How about AJ? Switch the letters J and A and there you go..and easy and catchy nickname. No one will have a clue.” Kyoungjae declared. “What do you think, Jaeseop? AJ is cool, like you. You need a nickname that is in English.”

So from then on, it was AJ, but his real name was also still used a lot since it wasn’t supposed to be a permanent nickname..as they thought.

”I like it. Not bad Kyoungjae. Not bad at all.” AJ replied. From then on, Jaeseop’s ‘now to be stage name’ was born..

”How about you, don’t you have like..an English name?” I asked Kyoungjae right after AJ’s new nickname announcement. “Well..um..it’s Ellison..but there are so many possibilities..I have been thinking..Elli (pronounced Ellie)?”

Jaeseop and I glanced at each other, then bursted out laughing. What the heck Kyoungjae..that was a girl’s name..and he called himself ‘manly’. *ppppfffffft*.

”Just because your English name has 2 Ls doesn’t mean you have to include them all. If you wanted the name ‘Elli’, why can’t you just change it to ‘Eli’ or something that sounds more boy-like. I can’t believe you, Kyoungjae. I just..can’t.” Jaeseop confronted.

”WAIT, WAIT, WAIT. Did you say Eli? Ellison..Eli.. You are a genius, AJ. These short and simple nicknames are quite cool.” said Eli as his face lit up. These boys just made history.

I ended up with the nickname DI representing my initials. I was sort of bummed out from not having an epic one, but it is just a nickname.

Please log in to read the full chapter