Chapter 8

The thing that brought us closer together

 

Ring

 

The school bell rang for the second time of the day. It was already 8.30am and by then, students around were rushing towards their first period lessons. However, a minority of them decided to check out the new girl, who look totally foreign to them walking around with school with the two biggest nerds of the school on either side of her. 

 

Boys could not stop staring at her while their mouths agape while the girls were gossiping about her, criticizing her on her looks and other bad comments about her. Chaerin looked at them and rolled her eyes at the group of girls as she walked past by them. She was already used to this kind of jealously back in her old school. Jealousy among the girls wasn't a new thing to her. 

 

"So, here's the indoor sports hall!" Baekhyun said as he barged into the sports hall.


The three of them were welcomed with a class having volleyball. The students were obediently listening to their physical education teacher, who is explaining to them the rules and instructions on how to play volley ball. However, one they heard she sound of the doors open, they were distracted and directed their attention towards the three of them. 

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol walked to the middle of court, with Chaerin hiding behind Chanyeol. "Ah, Mr Park and Mr Byun," he teacher greeted them. Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun bowed in front of him. Chaerin who is now frozen, just stood behind them. "Who do we have here?" 

 

"Oh! She's the new student from Japan, Chaerin. Chaerin, this is Mr Lee the physical education teacher," Chanyeol introduced her to the teacher. 

 

She stood out a little and bowed in front of him. "Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Chaerin," she introduced herself. 

 

"Wow, you speak fluent Korean," he praised her. That earned a lot of groan from the girls. The boys in that glass were admiring her. "Thank you Mr Oh," she thanked him and bowed once again. 


"Anyway, what are the three of you doing here?" 


"We're both here to give Chaerin a tour around the school. You know, let her get familiar with the place," Baekhyun replied. 


Then, the doors of the indoor sports hall opened once again. Everyone directed their attention to the door, including the teacher himself and the three of them. Two boys appeared and the girls started squealing. 


The two young man who were walking to the middle of the court were none other than Jiyong and Seungri from the school's popular clique, Big Bang. Chanyeol and Baekhyun looked at each other. Chaerin was frowning at she looked at how the girls were squealing. She was confused by the whol situation. What is going on? 

 

"Why are the both of you late? Didn't I say to be here right on time! It's been twenty times the both of you have been attending classes late!" Mr Oh scolded them. 

 

"At least we're here now. It's better than nothing," Jiyong sarcastically replied. 

 

 "Yeah, be thankful," Seungri added. 

 


"Goodness gracious! Is this how you talk to your teachers? The both of you are going to get it from me!" Mr Oh said angrily when Chanyeol interrupted him. 

 

"Mr Oh, I'm sorry to interrupt you but we have to get going now," Chanyeol said. 

 

Mr Oh's expression soften when he heard Chanyeol's voice. Of course, the two students who is standing beside Chaerin is well-behaved all the time, made the school proud in various events and competitions as well as the top students among the cohort. How can he ever be mad at them? 


"Oh okay then. I'll see you in school, Chaerin," Mr Oh said. 


Before the three of them turned and walked away, Jiyong had the courage to grab onto Chaerin's wrist. 


"So, you're the new girl?" 

 


 

When I was about to turn and walk away, I felt someone grabbing on my wrist harshly. I frowned a little and turn to look who is rude enough to hold me back. I was welcomed by the face of one of the late comers. He smiled at me, showing off the tooth pick that he was biting on his lips. 

 

"So, you're the new girl?" He asked. "I'm Jiyong. What's your name?" 

 

Oh god, this guy is intimidating! First impression of him : Very bad. That pink coloured hair with black streaks, what a horrible sight! His endless of piercings on his ears, I really hated that! His cocky attitude and smirk that he's showing me, I'm starting to hate him already. 

 

"Let's go Chaerin," Chanyeol and Baekhyun placed their hands on my shoulders, trying to pull me back when that Jiyoung guy pulled me close towards him, which resulted in me banging on his chest. That smelly breath...He just finished smoking. 

 

"What's your name sweetheart?" Another late comer stood beside him and placed his fingers under my chin. I tried pulling my wrists off of Jiyong's hands but his strength was stronger than mine. 

 

"Release my wrist!" I shouted. I gave up on trying to free myself from his strong grip. That is not going to work. 

 

"Not until you tell me your name," 

 

"You already know my name! Didn't you hear what Baekhyun and Chanyeol called my just now!" 

 

"But, I want you introducing to the both of us. Not them mentioning your name. Am I right maknae?" 

 

"Yeah, you're right in many ways. Now, be a good girl and tell us your name will you?" 


I was irritated at that point. Both of them are getting on my nerves. Then, an idea popped up on my head. I thought of playing nice and doing whatever they asked me to. 

 

"Chaerin. Lee Chaerin," I introduced myself to them. 

 

"Ah, what a nice name for a very, very beautiful girl," Jiyong released his grip off of me. He then took my hands towards his lips and he placed a kiss on my hand. "I hope we get acquainted soon," he said. 

 

I smiled in return. This is it Chaerin. This is your opportunity! I gave them another smile, this time an angellic one when I placed my foot right on top of Jiyong's feet when I harshly stepped on his feet with my shoes, using all my strength. 

 

He let out a manly shout, with his face all scrunched up. He couldn't bare the pain and he suddenly fell onto the floor. I smirked when he looked at me and walked away. The students were crowding at the spot where Jiyong fell and the girls were definitely angry at me at that point. I really didn't care at all. 

 

"Stinky girl. How could you do that!" One of the girls shouted at my direction. 

 

"New girl, who the hell are you to step on our oppa!" Another girl shouted at me. 

 

When I got out of the sports hall, I heave a huge sigh of relief. I squatted down a little and placed my hands on my knees. That took a lot of guts for me to shut Jiyong's mouth up for once. 


"I just cannot believe you did that Chae," Baekhyun said. 

 

"How in the world did you get your confidence!" Chanyeol added. 

 

I just laughed at the both of them in return. "I just had to do that. He's very irritating and his little friend too," I replied. 


"You just screwed at least two of the boys from Big Bang, one of the most popular cliques in our school," Chanyeol said. 

 

Big bang? What a pathetic name is that! I was laughing in my heart. Who in the world would come up with a name Big Bang? What did they get inspired by the show called 'The big bang theory' ? Oh my goodness! 


"Wow, what a pathetic name. That's sad," I bluntly said. 


"You're just full of surprises Chae," Baekhyun nodded his head and laughed. "Come, let's go to your next venue which is your classroom!" 

 

We started making our way towards my classroom. Well, it's a little bit different I guess because I'm only attending one class which is basically, law. As we were walking, I couldn't help but to ask them a question that has been bothering me a little ever since I stepped into this school. 

 

"Guys, can I ask you a question" 

 

The both of them let out a 'Hmm' at the same time. This told me that they were asking me to go ahead with asking the question. 

 

"Why is everyone staring at me as if I'm an alien that has been sent to earth on outerspace?" I asked them that. 

 

The both of them pondered for a while. "Maybe it's because you're a new transfer student? That is why they've been staring at you weirdly. I mean, it's been a long time since our school had a transfer student," Chanyeol replied. 

 

"No, you're wrong Chanyeol. Everyone's staring at her because of how she look. Look, her high pony tail and that hideous geek glasses, or should I say grandma glasses. Girl, you really need a make over in order for you to survive in this school. Cause you ain't going nowhere with this very hideous glasses. No boys will ever fall for you," Baekhyun  said. 

 

"Excuse me. From the one that looks more nerdier than me, you too should get a makeover. No, not you. The both of you should get a make over! Another note, I am not wearing grandma glasses. These are vintage," I replied to Baekhyun's comment. 


A little bit harsh, I know. But the truth is, I was just playing around. I also knew that Baekhyun was playing around because of the girly accent that he used a few seconds ago. Ah, Baekhyun. 


"You know what let me get rid of that hideous glasses and untie your damn ponytail," Baekhyun suddenly said. Before I could even stop him, Chanyeol grabbed both of my hands and the three of us stopped walking for a while.c

 

"Yah, what are you-" 

 

Then, Baekhyun placed the glasses and hairband in his pocket. He turned to look at me and smiled. "Wow, see I told you! You look different!" He said. He stood in front of me and placed his hands on both sides of my shoulder. 

 

You could see Chanyeol silently clapping and smiling widely at you. "Wah, Chaerin is so pretty," he complimented you. I blushed a little. 

 

"Now, let's continue walking. We're almost reaching your class," Chanyeol changed the topic. 

 

"How about my glasses? Give me back Baekhyun!" 

 

"No, you're not getting your glasses back. You can see clearly don't you?" 

 

I gulped. He then waved his hands in front of me and started showing me numbers. I could see very clearly but I pretended squinting your eyes as if I couldn't see what he was showing me with his hands. 

 

"Ah, I can't see!" I complained. 

 

"How funny. Don't lie to me Chaerin. Now, let's mess up your hair a little and we're done!" 

 



Kai had been yawning ever since the first period of the day started. It's not surprising because he was currently having lessons on law. Yup, that's right. Kai is studying law because he was interested in the subject itself. He was very interested that he aspired to be one of the top lawyers one day. 

 

The subject it self is interesting but when the teacher speaked, everything around him changed. He's starting to get bored of his teachings. He'd rather read the 500 page book and study by himself rather than listening to the boring, long-winded law teacher. 

 

He was about to close his eyes when suddenly there is a knock on the door. "Annyeonghaseyo?" He person on the door greeted. 

 

The law teacher, Mr P.O, stopped his teaching when he saw someone knocking on the door. "Ah, Chanyeol! Baekhyun! Come in!" He invited them in. 

 

With the familiar names being called, Kai opened his eyes once again only too see his brothers walking towards the teacher and there is a girl behind them? He frowned when he looked at her inly to find that that is the girl who is currently staying in the same house with him ; Chaerin. He let of a silent groan and continue sleeping for a while. 


"Ah, who do we have here?" Mr P.O asked the boys. 

 

"New student of yours," Baekhyun said. 

 

Kai opened his eyes once again. New student? Chaerin is going to be in the same class as me? Once again, Chaerin introduced herself to the teacher and her new classmates. Fortunately, they were really welcoming and friendly as they clapped their hands. Well, except for one person which is, Kai. 

 

"Well, finally we have a new student! I know that you wouldn't start attending classes until next week. But, once you attend classes. I want you to sit beside Kai. That will be your new sitting arrangement," Mr P.O dropped the huge announcement to her. 

 

Chaerin looked around the room to find Kai. Once she found Kai, they had an eye-contact for a moment. Kai couldn't believe who he was staring at. Is that even Chaerin? She looks..different. 

 

"Mr Kim, are you okay with it?" The teacher asked Kai. He scratched his head in return. "Y-Yeah...I don't mind Chaerin sitting beside me," he stuttered. In truth, he was silently cursing his teacher inside the head of his. 


Once that was done, the three of them excused themselves and Mr P.O resumed teaching.