TWO

Don't Make Me Fall

Angie turns down the corner leading into a dark alleyway, running as fast as she can. Her breaths get shorter with each step but she can't stop. She has to keep going. She reaches a dead end and slumps down on the damp brick-red wall, panting. She rests for a moment to catch her breath. She pulls out her inhaler from the side pocket of her backpack and takes in two puffs of the ventolin. She slowly feels the air entering her lungs as the medicine opens up her windpipe.

As her breathing slowly steadies, she looks out at the street, way down the dark lane. She figures that she has probably lost that him. She sighs in relief. But her head is still spinning.

Why did he even come looking for me... Wouldn't people normally just let it go if some person randomly came knocking on their door and left the following morning? Wouldn't people normally be relieved that they had gotten rid of the lunatic?

Her thoughts spin around in her mind, only adding to her splitting migraine. Angie massages her temples, slightly annoyed. How can they not understand how dangerous she is to them? Why are they so numb headed that they can't understand that she left for their own benefit? She wonders why people would even care about her. People she barely knew. People whose names she does not even know. Why did they care?

She lets her hand fall to the side as she breathes out, watching her breath fog up in front of her. She decides to stop worrying. It is all alright now. The crowd back there held that guy back long enough for her to get away.

'What was that about, though?' she thinks. '"Rap Monster"? What is he? Some kinda celebrity?'

This just kept getting weirder and weirder, and even more confusing for this Australian girl. Why would someone famous risk getting mobbed on the streets by his fans like that? All for the sake of a random stranger. All for the sake of... her.

All she wanted was a peaceful trip here, to carry out her mother's last wishes, and to return home... But now, she does not even know if she should go home anymore... Nowhere seems safe to her. She sits there in the silence, waiting for some time to pass before it is safe to leave the alleyway.

Suddenly, she hears movement to her right and snaps her head to the source of the sound. She sees a pair of feet approaching her, two yards ahead, but too close to run away.

"Silly girl..." the person pauses as he pants- "Don't you know..." - pants again - "It's easier to be found... if you hide... Compared to if you keep running..?"

Angie stiffens, freaked out. Those words are far too familiar to her. She immediately starts tearing up, terrified.

She looks up to see the face of the man who has stopped walking and is now bent down, holding his knees as he catches his breath. She can't see his face, but there's no mistaking that dyed white hair... Angie heaves a sigh of relief but has not overcome the shock she received from earlier... She was terrified. She thought it was him.

She mumbles something unintelligible, even to herself. The shock renders her dumb. The tears begin to spill out of her eyes and they flow down her cheeks. She hugs her knees as silent dr@ops of water flow endlessly down the crevices of her face. No. I don't want to remember that.

Namjoon takes a step back. She's crying. How did that happen? He swears in his head, knowing how bad he is at comforting people. He crouches down in front of her, unsure of what to do. He reaches out to her with his hand but she backs away, shaking her head furiously. "No! You don't understand. You can't be seen around me it's far too dangerous!" She yells as she continues to widen the gap between them.

All of the sudden, she slaps herself hard across the face. Namjoon's eyes widen in shock. What the heck was that about? What's even more confusing is her facial expression after slapping herself. She looks shocked as well. "Stop it, Angie! Will you wake up?! He's gone. He's gone.."

Namjoon stares at the girl for a few seconds before coming to the conclusion that she is 101% bonkers. What kind of person has a dialog with herself, by herself? A soft whimper escapes Angie's lips, snapping Namjoon from his thoughts. She goes back to that fetal position, hugging her legs tightly towards her chest. "No... No. He's out there somewhere. He's looking for me, I just know it," she mumbles softly.

Namjoon edges closer, trying to figure out how to calm her down. Angie backs away from him, her eyes wide with fear. "No, no! Stay away from me!" She pulls her hair in frustration as she screams. Then she just leans on the wall, hyperventilating. Namjoon panics as Angie looks around frantically. "What? What are you looking for?" He asks hurriedly. "Bag... Medi.. Cation," she breathes. He spots her bag in the corner and rushes to get it. He pulls out a bottle of pills and hands it to her along with her water bottle. She pushes the bottle away and swallows a pill. Her breathing steadies after five minutes. Five minutes that seemed to drag on for forever to the blonde haired boy in front of her.

Then she smacks his head. "Hey!" He scowls at her.

"Do you think.. People who are breathless.. Can stomach water?! Huh?! Dimwit."

"Did your parents teach you no manners?! I just saved your life, you ungrateful b*tch!" He looks straight at her, expecting an apology but instead, she slowly covers her face with her hands as silent tears roll down her cheeks once more. Crap. Now she's making me feel bad about yelling at her like that... "Ya... uljima (don't cry)," he says softly, putting a hand on her shoulder. He manages to catch the silent words she is uttering. "Mum, dad... Why did you leave..."

And that's when it hits him. 'Gosh, how much of an idiot am I?' Namjoon thinks. He walks over to the bag and opens it up, inspecting its contents more carefully this time. There it is. He thought he was mistaken earlier. But there's no denying it now. There's an urn in her bag. "Get away from there!" She shouts as she pulls her bag out of his grasp, surprising him with her strength, seeing that she was so lifeless just a moment ago.

"Eomma... Mianhae (Mum, I'm sorry)," she hugs the bag to her chest. She looks at him lying on the ground, still in shock. A flash of guilt goes through her eyes and she crouches down in front of him, staring at the ground, embarrassed. "I'm sorry. I am very sorry. I wasn't thinking straight... Please accept my apologies," she holds her hand out to help me up. He softens as he looks at her expression. He wonders just what is going on in that head of hers. Is she as confused towards her actions as he is? It kind of seems like it.

He takes her hand and wordlessly dusts himself off once he stands. He passes her the coat, explaining that his mother instructed him to give it to her. He also tells her about the food that... Well. The birds at the street where he dropped the package will have a decent lunch today. She looks rather shocked as she accepts the coat and says, "I am forever indebted to your family."

She stares at her feet for a moment, then looks at Namjoon straight in the eye. "Now you have to go," she states, matter-of-factly. It takes everything in him to keep his mouth from dropping open at that statement. This just gets weirder and weirder. One moment she's thanking him and the next she's asking him to get lost. "You've got a high fever and the wound on your thigh needs nursing," he says as calmly as he can when he actually wants to blow his head off at her. She looks at him in shock and takes a step away from him.

WHAT. IS IT. NOW?!

"How do you know about the wound?"

This again...?!?!

"I ALREADY TOLD YOU MY MUM WAS THE ONE THAT GOT YOU OUT OF YOUR CLOTHES SO WILL YOU STOP ACTING LIKE A FRIGGIN' ABOUT THIS?!"

"WELL I'M NOT ACTING LIKE A - I AM ONE. SO WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO ABOUT IT?!"

Namjoon shuts up, thinking that that rhetorical question just got a lot weirder than it could have been. Why did hekeep saying stupid things... Thankfully, she dismisses the awkward situation by continuing with her rant.

"You don't understand, okay? You can't be seen around me," she says. "If he knows you've helped me, you'll be in grave danger," she adds softly. So soft it was almost inaudible.

Here she goes again. With this mysterious 'he'. Didn't she just slap herself across the face saying that 'he' is gone? And what does she mean by 'gone'? Namjoon shudders as the worst thought comes to his mind. He reminds himself that she said she wasn't a criminal.

"Look, I don't know who you're so afraid of but I can't put myself in more danger than I already have, now can I?" He rationalises with her. She keeps shaking her head and tells him that he does not understand. Namjoon agrees. He doesnt. He doesn't understand why she is acting this way but the thing that confuses him even more is why he even bothers about her. Why should he care about this lunatic? He may not know why, but he knows that he does. "Let me help you," he begins, shocking them both.

"Please. Just tell me what you need. I'll help you."

"I need you to leave, so that I can be free of the guilt of putting you in danger."

"ENOUGH WITH THE DANGER TALK!" he has reached his limit.

"Will you stop being so selfish?! Yeah, sure, why not? Put yourself out of the guilt and leave my entire family-" especially me "-in guilt, knowing that we left an orphan on the streets when she was in need of our help?!"

Namjoon runs his fingers through his hair, regretting the words the moment they leave his mouth. He might have crossed the limit at 'selfish' but he definitely overdid it with the 'orphan' part. She's on the verge of tears again. But she sees the guilt in his eyes for yelling at her. She heaves a heavy sigh as she steadies her shaky breaths.

"What do you want from me?"

"Just let me help you."

Angie nods, knowing that denying his help would be of no use. She turns around and Namjoon smiles at his tiny triumph. She begins to walk away. "Where are you going?" he says, grabbing her bag and ukulele from her hands. She narrows her eyes at him. He explains he is holding her stuff so that she won't run away. Now she rolls them. She picks up her pace.

"Hey! Where are you going?!" He says, trying to catch up. "Busan," she replies. He stops dead in his tracks.

"WHAT?!"

Angie turns around and looks at him smugly. "Still wanna come, pretty boy?" she folds her arms. Namjoon groans in frustration and grabs his phone out of his pocket. He informs his mother that he has found the girl. Then he tells her that she's going to Busan. Just when he's about to say that there's no way he's taking that 4 hour train ride, she tells him that he has to follow the girl and make sure she gets better.

Namjoon: Mother, you know i love and respect you, but do you have any idea HOW CRAZY YOU SOUND RIGHT NOW?!

Mrs. Kim: Don't you raise your voice at me, young man-

Namjoon: -besides, i have work.

Mrs. Kim: you're off for the week, I'm sure your manager and director won't mind. Just take it as a holiday.

She hangs up before he can say anything more. Namjoon wonders if he could bang his head on a wall. He dials his manager up and tells him that he'll be going to Busan due to... certain unforeseen circumstances. He tells him to go and enjoy himself at the country side. What. Is. This. Namjoon expected his manager to reject his plans to go to Busan. But noooo. Everyone just decides to behave out of the norm today.

As he hangs up the call he notices Angie staring at him with a raised eyebrow. "I'm coming," he says with a sigh. Her eyes widen slightly in surprise but she continues to walk. "Well, since we're going to be stuck with each other for quite awhile, I might as well introduce myself," she says as they walk out into the street, "I'm-"

"Angie," he finishes for her.