A Constant Warmth

Collection of Ficlets

In pretty much every circumstance, Baekhyun would never admit that Jongdae was right. Never, because the other would never forget about it, and he’d manage to bring it up before and after every future argument as “proof” that he’s always correct. No, Baekhyun would rather not have to deal with that.

 

Sure, Jongdae’s been right a fair share of times, usually about a certain note, or a schedule for the next day, or sometimes about way more miscellaneous things, like what cereals they have or even what drama Joonmyun is watching. Usually, whenever Jongdae is right, it’s about things that don’t really matter in the distant future, and though he’ll always shove it in Baekhyun’s face for the next week that he was right, it’s not really a big deal.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t think Jongdae would forget this if he told him he was right.

 

Baekhyun had become used to having Jongdae by his side for nearly a whole year or more, with preparations for their Wolf comeback as twelve members, along with their Growl and even Miracles in December comebacks (which, Baekhyun considers himself rather lucky that both he and Jongdae were chosen to promote for a comeback that only featured five of the twelve members). That amount of time allowed for Baekhyun and Jongdae to really get to know each other, to really pick up on the blooming relationship they had before they were separated into different subgroups that promoted more than 500 miles away from each other.

 

That amount of time allowed for Baekhyun to get used to the amount of cuddling Jongdae always wanted, whether that was in the van before practice, or at dinner, or on the couch, or even at night when they fell asleep. Jongdae brought with his cuddles an overwhelming sense of warmth that, at first, caught Baekhyun off guard, because who would have thought that such a small guy like Jongdae could be a heat machine?

 

Soon enough, however, Baekhyun started to become attached to Jongdae’s comforting heat, because he was always there. He woke up; Jongdae was there, giggling. He was eating breakfast; Jongdae was halfway sitting on his lap with an arm around his neck. He was cooling off after an intense dance practice; Jongdae was there with a mini fan, a bottle of water, and his warm hand pulling Baekhyun’s head into his lap, carding his fingers through Baekhyun’s hair. Jongdae was a warm constant, and Baekhyun would never, could never, admit to him that he would miss that warmth, that constant certainty of his presence.

 

One time, during their Miracles in December comeback, Jongdae had jokingly said that Baekhyun would suffer through the cold if not for his warmth. Baekhyun, naturally, laughed him off, saying that he’d survived twenty winters without Jongdae, he could survive another; naturally, Baekhyun never wanted to consider a winter without Jongdae’s warmth, because that was impossible. Jongdae had been there nonstop since their Mama promotions ended; why would he not be there to keep his bed warm, his side warm, and his heart warm?

 

Except, Baekhyun never considered that their company would separate them into their subgroups again to promote for their latest comeback. They had done so well as twelve; they had appeared on so many variety shows, sold so many albums, won so many awards. Why wouldn’t they promote as twelve again?

 

Despite Baekhyun’s inner complaints, separate promotions were executed; Jongdae left him for China while Baekhyun was left to promote in Korea with his EXO-K members. His bed had never felt so cold the night the EXO-M members left.

 

And, Baekhyun wouldn’t admit that to Jongdae - that he was right, no. Baekhyun did suffer through the cold, or lack of heat; comeback in itself is demanding, but comeback with little sleep because you were cold (and heaven forbid, lonely) was even more so tiring. Comeback was still exciting, and he was still so proud when Overdose had its first win, but that didn’t stop him from wanting the usual warm cuddles and attention from Jongdae, because even though it is May, that doesn’t mean that Baekhyun isn’t still cold through a lack of Jongdae’s constant presence and warmth.

 

The two of them share stupid texts when Jongdae is in China, and it is nice that there is only one hour time difference between China and Korea, despite the 500+ miles. Usually their conversations consist of stupid things their other members said, or cool things Jongdae found when he was out shopping with Zitao, or Jongdae’s excitement at finally being able to fully understand what the interviewers are asking the more fluent members. Baekhyun will typically send back a snarky response about how it’s taken Jongdae long enough to understand, but he can tell from Jongdae’s replies that he can sense Baekhyun’s pride and warmth for his accomplishments.

 

But, with the drama as of late, Baekhyun finds that the usual quirky texts between the two certainly doesn’t bring enough warmth to comfort him, and Joonmyun and Chanyeol’s hugs only go so far. That’s why, when the M members return from China to practice with the K members for their first concert in Seoul, Baekhyun is so excited. Finally, Baekhyun can have the heat he’s missed since mid-April, and well, it’s only mid-May now. But, that was a whole month without Jongdae when he was used to him being beside him for more than a whole year.

 

The M members arrive early in the morning, and along with the K members, they practice their new choreography for more than twelve hours, practically draining them. Yet, Baekhyun feels the least tired then than he has in the last month, and that may or may not have something to do with a certain other boy hanging off his arm during all of their breaks.

 

The minute they get back to the dorm and everyone crashes in a heap in the living room, Baekhyun lays his head in Jongdae’s lap and closes his eyes. He blames it on the fact that he's tired and delusional when he whines, "Aye, Jongdae-ah, I'm sleepy and you haven't been here to spread your heat and to let me fall asleep quickly."

 

Jongdae looks down at Baekhyun, smirks, and plays with his hair. "Hmm, is that so? Is that your way of saying I was right?"

 

Baekhyun sneers. "Right about what?"

 

Jongdae's smirk softens into a smug smile. "You know what I’m talking about. You couldn't survive the cold without me, loser."

 

Baekhyun pouts. "Here I am, trying to show my affection, and you're mocking me. Whatever Jon-"

 

Jongdae effectively shuts Baekhyun up when he leans in to place a warm, caring kiss on the others lips. "I'm not mocking; I think its sweet. Is this when I say I missed you too?"

 

Baekhyun waves his hand in the air dismissively. "Ya, ya, ya, you missed me; I mean, how couldn't you? You could show it by kissing me again and curling up with me in bed and letting me get the best night sleep by falling asleep to your warm kisses."

 

Jongdae chuckles, lifts Baekhyun’s head out of his lap, stands up, and pulls the other up. "Who knew you turn sappy when you're tired?"

 

"Shut up, los-"

 

Jongdae kisses him again. "Come on loser, its time for your best night sleep filled with my kisses. A cold bed is waiting to be filled with my warmth, right?"

 

Baekhyun sleepily nods his head, and Jongdae wraps an arm around him. "Yep. Who knew China could make you smarter?"

 

"Ay-" Baekhyun pulls Jongdae into his bed and wraps them both in his many blankets, causing Jongdae to stop whining and to wrap his arms around Baekhyun as the other nuzzles his head into the crook of Jongdae’s neck. Baekhyun's breath evens out soon after that, with Jongdae steadily pressing kisses on his forehead.

 

The next morning, Baekhyun wakes up from the best sleep he's had in at least a month, (or maybe even a year, they do say distance makes the heart grow fonder) wrapped in Jongdae’s warm arms with Jongdae’s light breathing in his ear and all their blankets abandoned in the floor.


He's never felt so warm without them.

 

-

 

prompt: Imagine Person A of your OTP really getting attached by how warm Person B makes the bed when they fall asleep together/cuddle so when Person B comes home from some trip Person A yells at them because their bed was so cold.

 

forgive me for i cannot name anything lololool