Chapter Five

Switched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They had given me a study hall fourth period in an attempt to help me catch up on my work, but I had been using it for napping. At one end of the library, buried amongst the reference books and an out dated card catalogue, they had a few round tables scattered about. That's where study hall was held. The librarian was at the other side of the room, and she would occasionally come check on us, but she didn't really care what we were doing. The room was massive with insanely high ceilings topped with sky lights, and there was this constant sound of white noise, so she couldn't hear anything we were saying anyway.

Unfortunately, I had promised to crack down on my studies, so I felt obligated to actually do that. I had briefly considered sitting at a table by myself, but Jungkook was already down there, sitting alone, so I thought I had better join him. It was all part of my initiative to fit in and act like a normal teenager. Since I spent most of the time or somewhere else napping, I hadn't really noticed any of the kids that had study hall with me. That meant that I hadn't noticed Kai, either, who slunk in a few minutes after I did and took a seat at the table behind me.

"So what are you working on?" Jungkook asked me jovially, as if schoolwork were an amusing topic. He had his English book open to The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, a short story I had also been assigned to read. It was like five pages long, but I hadn't gotten past the title.

"Um, English, " I decided. I needed to read it anyway, and since that's what he was working on, maybe he could help me. "I have to read that too."

"It's pretty weird, " Jungkook assured me with wide eyed seriousness. There was something tremendously innocent about him, and despite myself, I found that kind of endearing. "I'm gonna warn you. I'm a little shocked we read this in school." 

"What do you mean?" I bent over to dig my English text book out of my bag, and I just happened to glance back at the table behind us.

Kai sat by himself, his slender fingers absently straightening out his black hair. He had his head bowed, looking at his biology book, but only for a second. He must've sensed me looking at him, because he almost instantly lifted his eyes to meet mine. I wanted to keep looking at him and beat him at his little staring contest, but I failed immediately. Quickly grabbing my textbook, I turned to look at Jungkook, who had launched into an explanation of The Lottery.

"Its just so disturbing, " Jungkook shook his head. "I know it's mostly an allegory, but... I just can't believe that people would ever be like that. I don't know. Maybe I'm just nave. "

"People are pretty disturbing, " I shrugged. I was trying to keep my mannerisms and my conversations nonchalant, but it was hard to act natural when I knew I had an audience, in the form of Kai staring at the back of me.

"You think so?" Jungkook's forehead creased in confusion and concern.Something about my tone of voice had given away too mu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter