Please, No ...

First Meeting

It was 3 a.m. in the dark streets of Seoul, South Korea, where you found yourself running. Your flight from L.A. had landed an hour ago and for the first time in your life, you couldn't breathe as you took a step out of the airplane. Your mom and sister were right behind you, whispering for you to move since you were holding everyone else who wanted to get off the plane. You took your bags and got off the plane as you grabbed your phone and checked for any messages or missed calls, but there were none. Well it is pretty late, I wouldn't expect anyone to contact me right now. However you had sent him a message before leaving L.A. and he replied he would be waiting for you at the airport. It's okay, I really hope he's resting instead of being out here in this cold night.

 As soon as you, your mom and sister got your baggage from baggage claim, you checked your phone once again. Nothing. Zero calls, no messages. You were a little dissapointed but realized that it was pretty late. You and your family took a cab to the hotel which was a little far from Incheon airport since you were staying in Seoul. You checked in and made your way up to your room, inserting the key in the room and mesmerized by the huge room that was placed in front of you. "Are you going in or are you spending the night out here?", asked your sister as she entered the room and took over one of the beds. "C'mon, let's go in and rest a little. I know the jetlag is going to be hard to get used to, but at least let's try", said your mom as she entered the room as well, taking over another bed. You didn't realize there were 3 beds in total inside the room, so you made your way to the last bed which was next to the window. You put your stuff down and looked over the window. This is beautiful. This is better than what I had imagined. Your thoughts were disrupted by the sudden sound of your phone. Immediately you picked up without checking the phone number.

"Yes?" you said as you answered, however the other person didn't answer back. You looked at the phone number and realized it was a local number so you answered again in the little Korean you knew, "Nee?"

"Oh!" the other person exclaimed at the sound of the familiar korean. "_____yah? Is this you? You have to come quickly ...." she kept on going until you realized what was happening. You hung up as soon as she was done talking. 

"Who was that??" your sister asked, but you didn't have time for any explanations right now. 

"I'll be back, I promise I'll be safe. If anything happens call me. I'll call you as soon as I can explain okay?" you told your mom as you made your way out of the room.

"_____!! Wait!" your mom yelled as she saw you ran away.

You started running in the direction your phone was indicating you to. Thank god for GPS. The streets were completely not what you were used to, but were thankful for the English underneath the Korean letters. You ran and ran for what seemed like hours, until you got to your destination. You stopped and tried to catch your breath, when you looked up and noticed the amount of people outside and the big commotion that they were making. Well I have to go through the doors and for that I'm going to have to go through all that. You made your way to the big group of people standing right outside the doors and pushed yourself to the front. Police officers were standing there preventing people from getting in. "Excuse me, I need to go in.." you tried to say to the closest police officer, but there were many girls screaming that your voice sounded like a whisper. In a second all the screams intensified and you looked up to see what was happening, when you saw her. Park Yura. She was standing outside and it seemed she was looking for someone. You were about to turn around and see who she might be looking for until she made her way down the front steps and took a hold of your hand.

"_____yah?? It's you right?" she called trying to overpower the screams of the girls. You were shocked by all of what was happening so you only managed to nod. She grabbed your hand and let you in the building.

"Thank you for coming. I know you just got here and I'm sorry I didn't let you rest, but he insisted on letting you know and calling you here." she said, never letting go of your hands but looking to the front. Never making eye contact. You could tell there were tears in her eyes and you didn't know what to do. The only thing you could think of doing was squeezing her hands in yours and just saying, "Don't worry. I understand." She still didn't make eye contact, but you noticed she was smiling.

You finally reached the floor which he was in and made your way to his room. His mother was outside in the arms of his father, which was comforting her and holding her tight. Yura's hold relaxed and you could tell this wasn't good. Stilll holding your hands, she made her way to her father slowly and quietly. Her mother looked up and was surprised at the sight of her daughter dragging this stranger with her. Her mother suddenly stood up and walked towards you.

"Who are you? Why are you here? Can't you leave him alone!?" She was suddenly really upclose and you didn't know what to do. Yura then stood in between you too and said, "Mom, this is _____yah. You know ..." Her mom then took a step back and apologized. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She made her way back to her seat and to her husband's embrace, which made her husband warmly smile at you and bow a little. You bowed and smiled back. 

"Eonnie, I'm sorry to ask this, but I don't really understand what happened." you told Yura as you guys were making your way to his room.

"You know he had the concert today right?" she asked, to which you nodded, "well at the end they were saying their goodbyes when one of the lights suddenly fell really close to where he was standing, which made him jump into the open hole of the stage. He fell in and hit his head hard. All he said was to let you know what had happened and that he was sorry." Yura then started tearing up, bringing tears to your eyes as you heard all of this making you take a hold of her hands and squeez them. 

"Thank you. Thank you for letting me know. I'm sorry this is happening." you said trying not to cry. Yura noticed the shakiness in your voice and hugged you. At first you were surprised, but hugged her back. "Go in. Please. He's been sleeping ever since we got here, but maybe he'll wake up when he hears your voice." she said as she opened the door to his room. 

You slowly made your way into the room. You heard Yura closing the door behind you, leaving you alone with him. And then it hit you. This is the first time you were going to meet him. Ever since you had sent him a birthday gift a year ago with your name and email address, he started emailing you, interested on what you looked like and what your personality was really like. A year. He had spent a year of his life interested in a girl he had never met and didn't speak his language. Someone he couldn't even see face to face, but as your relationship grew he gave you his kakaotalk and you started texting each other which led to you guys calling each other and having good, funny but mostly awkward conversations since the language barrier was still there. When you told him you were visiting Korea, you've never heard his voice as excited and happy as he was when he heard the news. He promised he would pick you up from the airport no matter what time your flight got there. He was going to be there. And now here you were. Visting him at the hospital. For your first time ever you were going to see the beautiful face you've always dreamt of seeing. But never imagined it would be like this.