Rumor

My No.1 Stalker

“Jinjja?”

“Ne. They said that President Lee saved Hwara from Director Nam’s death question.”

“I was there at the meeting and I witnessed how the president shut the director’s mouth.”

“I think they have a past.”

“I’m also thinking of the same thing.”

“But you know, Hwara’s just a-”

Aish! Why are they talking about us? Just because of what happened yesterday, they’re all starting to gossip about us. Ugh. I better leave now. I won’t let anyone notice me.

“Hwara.” Uh-oh.

“Omo! She’s there!” one of the girls said.

“Aish! I told you just shut up!” another one said.

“Kaja,” then I heard their footsteps. They already left.

I slowly turned around and saw Donghae. “N-Ne?”

“Is there a problem? Why are those girls surprised to know you’re here?” he asked.

“… There’s a problem.”

“What?”

“They’re gossiping about us.”

He smiled. “Jinjja?”

“Ne. And you know there’s nothing funny with that so don’t smile. Aish. From now on, be careful in everything you do. If there’s no reason for you to approach me, then don’t do it. Don’t talk to me when it’s not needed, araso?”

“Yah. I can’t promise you that.”

“Then clear this mess up.”

He nodded. “Ne. Don’t worry, I’ll do that.”

“Good. But you better hurry. I don’t want to be the talk of the town,” then I turned around, planning to leave. But Donghae caught my arm.

“Wait. Let’s drink coffee first.”

I glared at him. “I still have something more important to do.”

Then I heard faint noises. I looked around. Ugh. They’re starting to create rumors again. Aish! Eotteohke? Then I saw Director Nam. And he’s walking towards us now.

“Annyeong, President Lee,” the director said.

Donghae looked at him. “Oh. Annyeong, Director Nam. Is there a problem?”

“I just want to inform you about next week’s meeting. All of the directors will be there. But if you have something to do on that day, then us know if you want to reschedule it,” then he looked down a bit. A smile crossed his face. He looked back at Donghae. “If I’m not mistaken, this is the first time I saw you holding a lady’s hand. You haven’t done that before, even to your own mother. Ms. Lee must be very lucky.”

I pulled my hand down. Director Nam’s a big problem. “I have to go now,” then I bowed down and left as quick as possible.

I entered the project room and sighed. The team’s already there. That only means one thing – I’m late.

“Oh, mianhae,” then I bowed down.

They all looked up. “Gwaenchana, Hwara. I saw you outside and I think you encountered an important business on your way here. No need to apologize,” then Sungmin winked at me.

“W-What are you talking about?”

“I also saw you and you’re talking to the president, right?” Yesung asked.

I nodded. “Ne,” then I sat on my chair and immediately work on something.

“Hwara,” he said.

“Ne?”

“It’s hard being talked about, right?”

I looked up. “What?”

“After what happened yesterday, I know you already heard people talking about you.”

“In short, they’re making a big deal out of that little thing that happened yesterday,“ Seohyun said.

“Well, it’s really a big deal.”

“Not for us since we already know that the president and Hwara have something in the past.”

“That’s why I think Hwara should clear things up by telling everybody that they’re over.”

“That’s not a good idea, hyung,” Sungmin contradicted. “Telling everybody that fact will only make Hwara’s situation worse. There will be a reason enough for them to create more issues.”

“Oppa’s right. Then eventually, this issue will grow bigger. And the worst thing that could happen is that President Lee’s mom will know this thing. And that’s not good for Hwara-unnie,” Seohyun agreed with Sungmin.

She’s right. And I don’t want that to happen. “That’s why I’ll just ignore this,” I said.

“Don’t do that thing, either.”

I looked at her. “Wae?”

“If you ignored this, then expect this issue to end next year. That’s what happened to me. I ignored the rumors and it made my life a living hell for a while.”

“What rumors?” I asked.

She shook her head. “Let’s not talk about that.”

“Seohyun has a point. If you’ll just ignore this, it will last for a couple of months. The president’s parents are in Japan, right? But I think this issue will still be a hot topic by the time they come back here in Korea. And there will also be a possibility that they will hear about this topic. If they figured out that you’re here, they won’t think twice and will kick you out of the company,” Sungmin said.

I looked down. “Then what should I do?”

“Talk to the president,” Yesung suggested. “He has the power to shut everyone’s mouth.”

“I think that’s a good idea. Ask him to tell everyone that he just helped you, that there’s nothing going on between you and him,” Seohyun said.

I bit my lower lip. “Never mind. I’ll work on the papers first. I’ll think about it later.”

“Araso.”

“Kaja. Back to work,” Sungmin said then they all went back to their businesses.

I went downstairs to get a can of coffee from a vending machine. Then I sat on a bench near it and opened my iced coffee. Then I heard them again.

“Look. She’s lonely.”

“Hmmm. I think the president’s busy.”

“Ani. She’s waiting for him to come.”

I looked up and met their curious looks. Then they all looked down. I sighed and stood up. I have to move now. Then I went towards them.

“Umm, excuse me,” I said.

One of them looked up. “N-Ne?”

I took a deep breath. “About what happened yesterday… Ummm… I just want to clarify things. President Lee and I are friends. He helped me answer Director Nam’s question yesterday because he’s my friend. He just wanted to help me.”

Another one looked up. “So, you’re not dating?”

My eyes widened. So they’re thinking that Donghae and I are dating? “A-Ani. We’re not dating. Friends, araso? We’re just friends.”

“But didn’t he kiss you after the meeting yesterday?”

Kiss? “W-What are you talking about?”

“Before he left the room, he kissed you first,” another one said.

That never happened. “He didn’t. He just went towards me and whispered something. He didn’t kiss me, araso? Aish. So that’s the reason why all of you are like this.”

They all looked down. “Mianhae, Hwara-unnie.”

“Gwaenchana. Now that you know that truth, please tell everyone about this, huh? You’ll help me clean this mess, right?”

They nodded. “Ne.”

I smiled. “Gamsahamnida.”

Whew! I’m safe now. Aish. I can believe people in this company love rumors. I really hope everything’s clear now.