Fireflies

Vignette: Fluff

They were heading to Donghae’s restaurant. Heechul, being recently released, of course went straight to Leeteuk; his Leeteuk who was currently sleeping against the window on the passenger side of Heechul’s car. Leeteuk had been transferred up to the North Korean border following some mistakes that the ‘celebrity unit’ had gotten into. Thankfully, Leeteuk hadn’t been a part of those trouble makers, but to Heechul he had the worst of the punishments. Instead of finishing his enlistment in military prison, Leeteuk was a rifleman in the northernmost of South Korea. Heechul worried endlessly about the cold on Leeteuk’s bad back and hips, how much he’d be hurting as the winter slowly crept up on them. Heechul didn’t bother Leeteuk with all those thoughts though. Leeteuk clearly had enough to deal with since as soon as Heechul started driving back to Seoul he’d passed out and was still sleeping soundly.

Heechul had his own feelings about the others that had caused his leader to be tossed up in the land of the unforgiving. As far as he was concerned they didn’t exist anymore and he’d shun the hell out of them, being the obstinate grudge bearer he was. His anger at the others had slowly passed and now all he cared about was making sure Leeteuk knew he was loved.

Parking at Donghae’s new restaurant, Heechul regretted having to wake Leeteuk up but leaned over anyway. “Hey you.” Heechul spoke softly, he knew it wouldn’t have any effect on his leader’s sleep but he didn’t want to yell. Poking Leeteuk’s arm and cheek, Heechul smiled and leaned closer to his ear. “Jung-ah, wake up.”

Stirring with a grumble, Leeteuk blinked his eyes and looked at Heechul as the other man leaned away. “We’re here?”

“Yeah, sorry you have to wake up now.”

Leeteuk shrugged and turned it into a big yawn and stretch. He didn’t mind waking up because he knew he’d be able to see Donghae and the other members. He missed them more than he was willing to admit to anyone. Even Heechul, who he was closer with now, didn’t hear the inner worries that Leeteuk always carried around.

As they got out of Heechul’s car and headed up to the restaurant, Heechul and Leeteuk put on their business personas, expecting to be seen and recognized by fans. Heechul knew his petals would be the most excited to see him, free and fresh faced. Honestly, he was ready for it too. Heechul had missed being adored, even if he had a strict set of boundaries, the respectful fans were great.

Leeteuk still felt strange to be out in civilian clothes, especially now with his re-stationing. He walked tall and proud, even though a little tired, promising himself he wouldn’t cry when he saw his boys.

The hugs were strong and tight and more than a few of the members didn’t want to let Heechul or Leeteuk go. Donghae was the clingiest. Ever since his father had died and left Leeteuk pretty much in charge of him, Donghae was Leeteuk’s limpet. Hyukjae took up the slack when Donghae finally let go. The fish and monkey were to Leeteuk what Hongki and Simon D were for Heechul. Not that Heechul would ever forget how close he was with Donghae and Yunho, they just didn’t come to him with problems as often as his fellow AB blood buddies.

Heechul watched them all, just a step outside their mass around their leader. He’d spent his time with enlistment at home and around the members, whereas Leeteuk rarely got the chance to be around everyone. Heechul smiled to himself about their reactions. Leeteuk made them all so happy, and the rest of the members made him so happy in return. It was a cheesy mess of love and Heechul loved every second of it.

The next stop in their assembly line dinner was to order. Donghae advised them all on what to try and they followed his suggestions. Siwon must have noticed Heechul standing just outside their group because his large shoulder was shoving against Heechul’s now. Heechul chuckled and shoved him a little before giving him a hug. It wasn’t that Heechul didn’t want to be a part of their meet and greet, it was that his attention was focused on Leeteuk.

Finding a table, Heechul only half paid attention to Ryeowook insisting on sitting next to him. Wookie was adorable as usual, Heechul smiled at the sudden memory of his dongsaeng admitting that he was his favorite. Even in Paris when everyone went exploring, Wookie had stayed in the hotel room with Heechul, reading manhwa. Ryeowook was now talking to Heechul about Sukira and wanting him to come on, but Heechul was looking at Leeteuk again. Their leader was sitting at the head of the table and Heechul had the best view of his profile as he looked at Donghae, his full face as he laughed his contagious chuckle at Donghae and his long neck as he leaned forward to hear Siwon better.

“You miss him a lot don’t you?” Youngwoon said, suddenly near Heechul’s ear.

“So much, yes.” Heechul sighed but chuckled. He reached for Youngwoon’s hand in a gesture he knew would be reciprocated. Youngwoon was right up there with Yunho and Donghae in Heechul’s best friend status. And as much as the fans wanted to believe that Youngwoon was with Leeteuk, it had never been true. It was the same fanservice as Heechul had with most everyone; a game, but nothing more than deep seated familial love behind the looks, hugs and sometimes kisses.

Donghae insisted on pictures he could tweet when they had finished eating. Leeteuk had to sit out and Heechul offered to take the pictures instead of joining in. He couldn’t help taking a few pictures of Leeteuk and Donghae together too, for Donghae’s personal record Heechul had justified.

They parted ways to their transportation. Everyone was planning on meeting back at the dorm for more talk and memories before they had to send Leeteuk on his way. Heechul took his chance to have some more alone time with his leader. Instead of driving back to the dorm, Heechul took Leeteuk on a scenic drive to Namsan Tower. Heechul would have loved to stop and put a lock into the mass of love notes and wishes already housed there, but he couldn’t risk them being seen. He parked nearby on the road to the tower, a nice spot with a good view of Seoul at night.

Leeteuk hadn’t complained about the drive. He’d just given Heechul one of his questioning glances and Heechul had simply smiled in return. Leeteuk knew Heechul was overprotective of not only his own needs, but the people he loved as well so he didn’t worry that they’d be in any danger. That didn’t stop his mind from trying to work out what Heechul was up to though, of course.

Parked now, Heechul unbuckled his seatbelt and turned to face Leeteuk. Leeteuk turned with a wry smile and asked. “So, what’s this all about?”

The planned speech Heechul had thought out for so long vanished at the question and he was left laughing softly. “I miss you. Really miss you. I wanted to have some time together, just the eldests.”

“I’m pretty sure that’s not a word, but go on.” Leeteuk was almost grinning now.

“And I love you,” Heechul said around his own smile. “You probably noticed how much I was staring at you all night. I’m not apologizing though, because you look really good and I’m just going to keep staring.”

Leeteuk had started laughing. Heechul could tell it was playful and so he kept rambling at Leeteuk, waiting for what he hoped would happen next.

“And I miss the sound of your voice and laugh. I could listen to you talk all night. I did even. Wookie and Woonie were talking to me and all I could hear was your voice over all of them. You make me jealous when you don’t talk to me and when your hugs last too long and-“

Finally, though he was still chuckling, Leeteuk cut Heechul off with a kiss, holding his cheeks. Heechul melted a little and closed his eyes and Leeteuk traced his thumb over his cheek. The kiss was soft, closed-mouthed and intimate. They pulled back with soft giggles and Heechul squished Leeteuk into a tight hug.

“Ah, no,” Leeteuk fought for breath against Heechul’s hug, laughing.

Grinning as he loosened up, Heechul bumped his forehead against Leeteuk’s in his cat speak gesture of love. Leeteuk was used to it now and closed his eyes, smiling and letting himself soak up the feelings.

“I love you too,” Leeteuk whispered before kissing Heechul softly again.

As they kissed, the same tender kiss as before, Heechul slipped his hand into his pocket. Leeteuk let a soft gasp break the kiss as something cool and heavy was slipped onto his ring finger. Holding up his hand, Leeteuk stared at the simple metal band for a quiet moment.

“Do you like it?” Heechul asked as he leaned against his seat, watching Leeteuk with a smile on his face.

“I love it. But tell me what it means?” Leeteuk asked, searching Heechul’s face as he reached for his hand.

Heechul squeezed Leeteuk’s hand and laced their fingers, feeling the cool metal against his own. “It means that you’re mine. Pure and simple.”

Leeteuk smiled and leaned for a kiss. “I’ll wear it as much as I can. I promise.”

Returning the kiss, Heechul purred. “If you can’t wear it, just keep it with you, secret and safe so you always remember that I’m here. Always remember I’ll protect you from anything and everything. And that I love you so much.”

Starting to tear up, Leeteuk hid his face against Heechul’s shoulder as he hugged him tightly. “I love you too.”

Heechul heard the tears welling in Leeteuk’s voice and chuckled as he squeezed him. “Oh, I didn’t mean to make you cry.”

Leeteuk nodded against him and sniffled. “I know. I just miss you a lot too. I miss feeling this safety and love when you’re not around.”

Heechul smiled and kissed his shoulder. “That’s why you have the ring now. To always remind you of how loved you are.”

Wiping his eyes as he pulled back, Leeteuk was smiling. He looked to Heechul’s eyes and leaned for a kiss. “Thank you. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

They kissed for a long time as the lights in the city flickered like fireflies in the night sky.

 

 

[ For oriteukie, because her cute request was something I couldn't refuse. I hope you like it lovely!

For my casual passerby and avid readers, leave an upvote if you liked it and comments are always replied to and appreciated~