Spreading Like Sunshine

Vignette: Fluff

Leeteuk was sitting in his bed in the military infirmary. He’d picked up a fever during his midnight patrols along the border and nothing he did would break it. Being stubbornly hard working, he’d had to pass out and be taken to the doctor before he’d admit something was wrong. His superiors hadn’t exactly been pleased with it, but he was taken off-duty to get some fluids and sleep off his fever.

He had just woken himself up from a bad dream. Previously, Leeteuk had gotten in trouble for checking his phone and being on social media while on duty. In the dream, he’d been found again and was taken to military prison like the rest of the celebrity unit. Leeteuk had been shaken from fevered sleep and now he was staring at his phone as if it were possessed.

It started vibrating on the table next to him and Leeteuk almost yelled in fear. He checked himself and reached for the phone, answering it without looking at who was calling. “Hello.”

“Hey, can you talk?”

It was Heechul. “Yeah,” Leeteuk told him, relief at hearing his voice spreading like morning sunshine through his heart. Leeteuk had been relying on Heechul a lot lately, he wondered if Heechul minded, or even noticed.

“I heard you were sick. What happened?” Heechul asked.

Leeteuk smiled at nothing, shaking his head. “Do I even want to know how you know that already?”

“For your own safety, I can’t release that information,” Heechul laughed.

“It’s nothing,” Leeteuk said, smiling. “I just got a fever that wouldn’t quit, then got told I didn’t really have a choice but to go to the doctor.”

“Mhmm. Doing too much again aren’t you?” Heechul chided.

“Am not. Just, not enough maybe?” Leeteuk sighed. He hadn’t really been taking care of himself as well as he should have. He’d skipped meals, skipped sleep and let himself miss everything to the point of depression. Leeteuk was sure Heechul would already know most of that though, and he could probably hear the depression in his voice, even though Leeteuk was skilled at hiding it. It was the price Leeteuk paid for loving Heechul so damn much, having a part of his psyche wandering around out there, knowing him too well.

“When was the last time you ate?”

“Too far to count,” Leeteuk said softly. He honestly couldn’t remember when he’d eaten last, or what it had been. Leeteuk tried to tell himself it was just the fever clouding his memory and listened to Heechul tsk at him.

“How long do you think you’ll stay up?” Heechul asked.

Leeteuk couldn’t hear any sounds around Heechul; he started to wonder where he was. “I don’t know. I just had a nightmare that’ll keep me up for a while. I should go back to sleep soon though. I can’t let everyone down, spending too much time in the hospital.”

“Yah, don’t be stupid.” Heechul sighed. “Not taking care of yourself landed you there, so you’d better start okay?”

Leeteuk was quiet, not able to think of anything to reply with. He almost hit the point of tears thinking that Heechul was right, but his boyfriend cursed from where he was. “What?” Leeteuk asked.

“Nothing, just damn drivers out here.”

Leeteuk frowned. “You’re out driving? What time is it?”

“It’s not too late, but it’s dark.”

Heechul obviously didn’t want to tell him so he looked at the clock by his bed and did a double take. “Heechul, why are you driving at 2:28AM?”

“Relax,” Heechul said. “I parked, not driving anymore.” Heechul laughed.

Leeteuk gave the empty room around him a suspicious look, but he heard Heechul getting out of his car. “I should let you go so you can sleep too,” Leeteuk said. He really didn’t want to get off the phone with Heechul. Just hearing his voice was so calming, but Leeteuk didn’t want to keep him from taking care of himself either.

“You don’t mean that,” Heechul said with a grin. “I can tell.”

Sighing, Leeteuk couldn’t help a chuckle. “You’re right.” He could hear Heechul saying hello politely to someone and figured there was some other crazy person out in the middle of the night. “Heechul?”

“Yeah, Teukie?”

He wanted to say he loved him, wanted so badly to tell him how lonely he was feeling lately, even when people were around. “I don’t really like hospitals,” he said with a chuckle instead.

“Oh trust me,” Heechul said on the phone and suddenly hung up because he walked into Leeteuk’s room at that moment. “The feeling’s mutual.”

Leeteuk couldn’t help a soft laugh as he stared in astonishment at the love of his life standing in his doorway. “Why did you come all the way up here?” Leeteuk asked and wanted to kick himself for sounding so rude.

Heechul just laughed. “Don’t pretend you’re not happy I did.” He walked into the room and moved a plastic bag he was carrying onto the table next to Leeteuk’s bed. “I knew you’d be hungry and I knew you could use something else to think about.”

Smelling the food from the bags, Leeteuk’s stomach grumbled, but he ignored it just a little longer to hold his arms out for Heechul. “Come here,” he said softly.

Smiling, Heechul sat on the edge of the bed and tucked his arms tightly around Leeteuk. “I love you,” he said in his ear and kissed his cheek.

Leeteuk squeezed him tightly and refused to let go for a long time. Heechul was first to pull back. “I know you miss me, but you’ve got to eat,” he said with a grin. “Your stomach sounds like an angry bear.”

Satisfied when Leeteuk started laughing, Heechul pulled out the containers of food he’d brought with him. Heechul had figured being so far from everyone would be bad for Leeteuk, so he’d made friends with one of his superior officers. Heechul had spent most of his own time as a public officer, learning how to be a better kiss . His contact had pulled through for him, saying that Leeteuk hadn’t been feeling well since the night before. So when Heechul got the text that Leeteuk had finally been taken to the hospital, he was in the car on his way up in less than ten minutes.

“What did you bring me?” Leeteuk asked. He refused to let go of Heechul and left his hand on his thigh to keep their closeness.

“I brought you kimchi jjigae for your fever. And it’s special, because I made it and it actually tastes good.” Heechul chuckled. Ever since the new Super Junior M had been announced and left just four members behind, Heechul had been interested in being a better cook. He wasn’t the expert that Ryeowookie was and he still called their littlest mother when he wasn’t sure he was doing something right.

“Special for me?” Leeteuk asked softly as he smiled and moved to rest his chin on Heechul’s shoulder. He moved the hand on Heechul’s thigh to wrap that arm around his waist.

“Just for you, Special Teukie.” Heechul leaned a little to kiss his cheek and Leeteuk closed his eyes. “Come on,” Heechul said and nudged him gently off his shoulder. He’d opened the container of stew and was holding up a bite for Leeteuk.

Leeteuk cautiously took the bite and his eyes widened when it really was good. Remembering how hungry he was suddenly, Leeteuk took the container from Heechul and started spooning heaping bites into his mouth. Heechul chuckled at him and reached for another container, eating a piece of kimbap from it.

They ate together in relative silence, save the soft sounds of pleasure at eating good foods, and leaned against each other when they were finished. Leeteuk slid his hand into Heechul’s and Heechul spread his fingers to make room between them for Leeteuk’s.

“Thank you for coming,” Leeteuk said softly, resting his cheek against Heechul’s shoulder.

Heechul rested his head against Teuk’s and smiled softly. “Of course. I wouldn’t leave you alone when you’re sick. I can’t even leave you alone when you’re well.” He teased and kissed the top of his head, nuzzling in after.

Leeteuk was smiling but despite wanting to spend more time with Heechul, the warm soup was making him sleepy again. “You’re so warm,” he said softly, squeezing his hand.

“You are too sweetie. You should sleep. I don’t want to have to go in there and kick your fever in the teeth.” Heechul said. Leeteuk just mumbled in response so Heechul gently moved him so he was lying down. He pulled the covers up over Leeteuk and leaned to kiss his cheek.

“Don’t leave,” Leeteuk whispered, half asleep.

“I’m not going anywhere,” Heechul said near his ear. He moved into a lounge chair, facing Leeteuk and pulled his legs up against his body to keep warm. Slowly, Heechul started to nod off, feeling more comfortable simply because he was closer to Leeteuk.

 

 

[ By request for aeolus003. I hope you like it ♥

Comments are loved and always replied to.