Spring

Vignette: Fluff

An early spring storm sent the trees tapping against the windows. The clock was just ticking past midnight when Heechul and Leeteuk settled into bed. Each set to their hobby, leaving the other in peaceful, companionship silence.

Leeteuk’s choice of entertainment was a book. He really wasn’t much of a reader, preferring to get out and do physical things. Anytime his mind calmed down longer than an hour he was forced to focus on those deeply depressing inner thoughts and memories. But this book was non-stop action and he couldn’t wait to fly through the pages to find out what would happen next.

Laptop propped on his thighs, Heechul was playing a casual, point and click game. The internet was iffy during storms and he didn’t want to chance being in the middle of ranked play MOBA and have it disconnect him. And then there was the lag. He was safer with a casual game, letting his mind work the puzzles as he calmed down for sleep.

When Leeteuk got too tired to keep his eyes open through the action scenes, he reset his bookmark and placed the book on his nightstand. Scooting closer to Heechul, Leeteuk rested his cheek on his shoulder and watched him play his game. Heechul smiled and kissed his head. “Finish your book?”

“No, got tired.” Leeteuk smiled and closed his eyes as Heechul continued to click through his game.

When Heechul heard Leeteuk’s breathing soften and deepen, he knew he’d fallen asleep on his shoulder. He sighed with a little smile and closed up his game to set his laptop aside, all while carefully avoiding nudging Teuk too much. He was a deep sleeper anyway, but Heechul didn’t want to wake him on accident.

Sliding his arm around Leeteuk, Heechul shifted him onto his chest as he sat against the headboard. Heechul wasn’t sleepy yet, he wanted to hold Leeteuk and he wrapped his arms securely around him, clasping his hands together at his side. These moments when the two of them shared calm and quiet were rare. Usually one or the other wanted to play, or laugh at a movie, but mostly play. Heechul nuzzled his face into Leeteuk’s hair and closed his eyes, breathing in the smell of home.

Heechul thought about how in love he was. How utterly willing to do anything for the man in his arms he felt. Even when they fought or got angry with each other over tiny things, Heechul knew they’d make up. He’d trained himself to swallow his pride with Leeteuk and was often the first one apologizing and trying to work through issues. Heechul knew he wanted Leeteuk forever, absolutely and that resolute passion kept him humble. Leeteuk wasn’t a given in his life, he was a gift and Heechul made sure to treat him that way as often as possible. It was hard to make a good friend, and harder to turn a good friend into a best friend. Heechul had managed both and been lucky enough to have that best friend fall in love with him.

Kissing Leeteuk’s head, Heechul moved to slide into bed more, lying down. He kept his arms protectively around Leeteuk and let himself fall asleep.