Chapter 5

Nicknames

I stayed in my room for a little while after I'd finished crying. I hated this situation I was in. It was so unfair. Why?! Why me?!! I ask myself as I pound my fists into the matress. I was too drained to cry anymore, so I just curled up on my bed under the blankets and lay there, staring at the door. I end up thinking about Kim Sun, no matter how often I tried to push the thought of her from my mind. Who was she? Was she also a kidnapped girl? But if she was, she must've been kidnapped when she was very young. And if she was kidnapped, why was her name stitched into her clothes? It just seems weird...

Time was crawling too slowly, and boredom was quickly driving me insane. I groan, and throw off the blankets. It was getting too hot anyway. I walk to the door, feeling the tension rising in me. The tension that makes my moves aggitated and my tone sharp. The tension that drives you crazy, makes you paranoid, makes you hear things that aren't there. The anxiety-inducing tension.

I open the door, and look down the hall. No one in sight. I can't really hear anything either. I step out into the hallway, and wander around until I find myself back in the kitchen. The entire house seems to be unpainted and undecorated. The appliances though, are all bright colors. In the kitchen, I found myself walking to the refridgerator even though I wasn't too hungry. I was just bored. I open the fridge door, and find myself staring at rows of water bottles, Gatorade, every color, and Arizona Green Tea. When I open the freezer door, I find microwavable entrees, frozen pizza, ice cream, and little bags of caramel chocolate squares. I'm half tempted to take the chocolates, but I highly doubt they're not claimed.

"Still hungry?" a man asks, and I jump, closing the freezer door. One of the guys is leaning agianst a chair in the kitchen, one of the ones who was eating Micky D's. So either AJ or Soohyun. I nod, and he smiles. "After McDonald's, you're still hungry?"

"After a McDonald's happy meal, and two extra fries, yes, I'm still hungry." I answer.

"True..." he agrees. "Doesn't seem like enough to stave off hunger, does it?" I shake my head. He tosses his head, flipping his hair away from his eyes. "You want something to eat then?"

"It's more like I'm bored beyond belief, so I'm eating. I don't have to eat." I say, worried they might get mad at me for leeching their food.

"So you want something to eat?" he asks again, giving me the 'c'mon, quit playing' look. I blush a little and smile, nodding my head. "Well, you've seen how limited the fridge is, and the freezer doesn't have much more. We have cookies in the pantry, and some cereal. We might have some rice in there too." The man moves past me to a little closet that I hadn't noticed before. He opens it, and looks in. "Oh, we still have the chips? I thought Soohyun would've gotten a hold of that by now... Ahhh, here's the rice." That makes him AJ. AJ pulls out a big bag of dried rice, and turns to me. "Want some?"

"Sure." I agree, nodding my head. AJ puts the bag of rice on the countertop next to the oven, and bends down to open a cabinet. He pulls out a black bottom and white top of a microwave safe dish thing, and pours some rice into the bottom of the dish. Then he brings the dish over to the sink and fills it with a little water, before placing the lid on and opening the microwave door. He set the dish in the microwave, closed the door, and pressed several buttons before hitting the start button and the inside of the microwave lit up as a humming started up. Then he turns to me.

"Now we wait. Should be about twenty minutes or so." he says, looking at the clock. "I'm AJ, by the way."

"Ji-Na." I tell him with a smile.

"I thought you liked Na-Ji...?" AJ asked. "It's what Kevin and Eli call you."

"That's my nickname. I've told them to stop, but they don't seem to care." I explain. AJ nods. It's silent for a few minutes, except for the hum of the microwave. Finally, AJ breathes in, and asks,

"Wanna go outside? You said you were bored."

"Uhm... Sure, why not?" I say, nodding. He does a mini fist pump.

"I've been looking for an excuse to leave the house since I stole Kiseop's cuddle-arm-pillow-thing. He's bleeping pissed at me!" AJ leads me through the house to a door. He opens it, and holds it for me. I step out onto wooden steps that lead down into the grassy field I could see from my room. The grass is cool and slightly damp, and the air is charged with the calm before the storm. I notice that there's plenty of room to run, and that the trees are good for climbing. Not that I'm in any acceptable attire for running or climbing, but it's still good to know.

"We can only be gone for about twelve minutes." AJ says from behind me. "If we're gone any longer, the rice will be claimed by one of the others." I smile, recognizing an office kitchen rule my father often complained about.

"Twelve minutes should be enough." I tell him, taking a deep breath.

"Glad to be outside? Feels good?" he asks, walking up next to me.

"Yeah. Feels good." I nod. AJ laughs, and shouts,

"Then I'll race you! Last one to the tree is a rotten egg!" With that, he dashes forward, leaving me blinking in his wake. Finally I snap out of it, and try to catch up to him. Though I have no clue which tree he's talking about...

"Hey! No fair! You took me by surprise!" I shout after him as he runs even faster towards the treeline.

"That's the whole point!" AJ calls back, laughing. He slows to a stop up ahead of me, and I'm not even close to catching up. I silently curse the skies. I look up to roll my eyes, and a rain drop lands on my nose. I blink and wrinkle my nose.

"I think it's raining!" I hold my hand out to catch some of the raindrops. AJ squints at the sky, before muttering,

"Stupid weather man said it wouldn't rain in this area!" Then he started jogging back to the house. "C'mon! Let's head back in!" I nod, turn around, and start moving back to where I started. AJ pushed open the door and held it open for me, glaring at me to hurry up before it starts pouring. I pick up my pace, and make it inside just before the first clap of thunder. AJ gratefully shut the door, and took off his socks, which were all he was wearing and were now wet.

AJ and I walked back into the kitchen, and resumed waiting again by the microwave. Eight minutes never stretched so long. But on the bright side, we were there to laugh at Kiseop and Hoon's expressions when they ran into the kitchen, shouting about finally getting back at AJ, only to find him standing right there guarding his rice. Kiseop frowned and glared at him, and Hoon just giggled at Kiseop.

"Just drop it man! Ask nicely and he'll give you back that stupid pillow!" Hoon told his friend.

"Or better yet," AJ suggested, "just get a girlfriend! Then you won't need a cuddle pillow!" AJ laughed along with Hoon at Kiseop as he blushed and glared.

"Maybe Na-Ji will be my girlfriend!" Kiseop tactfully attempted to deflect the teasing from himself to me, but no such luck.

"She'd never lower herself to your level." AJ said with an eye roll.

The men made joking remarks at each other for a few more minutes until the microwave bleeped that it was done. AJ pressed the off button to stop the noise, then went back to making fun of Kiseop. I waited for a few minutes for them to finish up and start at the rice, but they didn't stop talking. The conversation had switched to the guys different weird habits, and it was a dull and personal conversation that I wanted nothing to do with. I opened up the microwave, and AJ moved his head to let me. I took out the dish of rice, hissing my breath out at the hot water that covered the plastic handles. I pushed through the pain, didn't drop the dish, and set it down on the stove top. I kept my face away from the steam as I flipped the top of the dish up and off.

I stay silent. Listening to the quiet conversation in the next room, I eat the rice, pretending not to be there. Now that I think about it though, I'm very lucky. I'm being fed and given new clothes. I'm being treated kindly. I'm being given freedoms you don't normally see being given in all those kidnapping movies. However, in those rare kidnapping movies where the victim is treated fairly, it's usually because the kidnapper has a thing for them. Is that true in this case? Does Eli or Kevin or any of them have some sort of twisted thing for me? I would muse on this more, but then I hear the door open again.

"Helloooo!" Kevin calls, and I hear the rustling of plastic bags which I can only assume are filled with clothes. AJ and I turn to watch him walk into the house. "Hello? Anyone home?" Kevin walks in, holding two bags in each hand. I wave at him, putting down my nearly empty bowl of rice. I take the bags from Kevin, thank him, and make my way back to my room to try them on. I can't help but be nervous about what Kevin bought for me....

It turns out that he bought just what he said he would. Five T-shirts, three of them white, one black, and one pink. Three pairs of jeans, two pairs of denim shorts. And a pair of plain sneakers with ankle socks. They actually weren't that bad... I was impressed.

____________

Yeah, this is a filler chapter. Sorry if it . I'll try to update again soon. Love you all!