Chapter 4

Nicknames

We had been driving for just under an hour, and Kevin and Eli had pulled me from one lap to another seven times. My arms were starting to hurt.

"How much longer, hyung?" Jun asked.

"Ten minutes if we're lucky." the driver called back, keeping his eyes on the road. A car jets out in front of us, and the driver, who's name I've learned is Hoon, blasts the horn at the driver as he barrels away. Silence took over the van again, and Eli, who's lap I was now in, shifted my weight again so i was sitting sideways in his lap. I was starting to feel very tired, the adrenaline that came from being shot at wearing off. My eyelids started to droop.

"Awww, someone's tired!" Eli cooed at me, pushing a strand of my hair out of my face. He tapped his shoulder. "Snuggle up, sweetheart! Fall asleep on my lap, I don't care!" I look at him skeptically, trying to see if he was serious. He smiled, and gently pushed my head to his shoulder. I curled up in his lap after a couple of seconds, getting as comfortable as I could. I yawned, and closed my eyes. Eli put his arms around me, hugging me, and in his arms, I fell asleep.

......

When I wake up, I find myself in my bed, wrapped in warm blankets, with pillows surrounding my head. I stretch, welcoming the feeling it brings to my muscles, and I allow myself to bask in the sunlight that was flooding in through the window and onto my bed. I was content for that moment.

Then the memories of last night come rushing back, to vivid for them to be remenants of a dream. Gun shots, the lights going out, people screaming, a man robbing me, kidnapping me, the car ride.... Which means this isn't my bed. Meaning they put me here.

I heave a sigh, and stretch again. Then, ungracefullly, I roll out of the bed and fall onto the floor. I lay there for a minute or two, still waking up. I sit up, and look around the room. The bed was pushed to the far wall, and the door was on the other side. The windows were on the left side of the room. There was a vanity mirror next to the door, along with a dresser. There was a desk facing the windows. The walls hadn't been painted. I heave myself to my feet, and walk unsteadily as dizyness takes over me for a second. I walk to the vanity mirror, and take a look at myself in the mirror.

Not bad, all things considered. I think to myself as I look in the mirror. I'm still wearing the dress from last night, and there are light bruises on my arms. It was my eyes that really showed that I had had a rough night. Dark bags under my eyes, slightly swollen.

I stare at my reflection for a couple more seconds, picking apart my appearance, before I blink, and look around the room, wondering what to do next. I look at the door, then the window. I don't quite want to go outside of the room yet, and I'm not sure how the men would receive me. And in here it's sunny...

I grab a few pillows off the bed, and throw them on the floor in front of the windows. I lay down on my stomach on the pillows, and just stare out the widow. Outside the window was a feild of tall grass that seemed to move like waves when the wind blowed. The sky was a mass of moving grey clouds, not yet dark enough to bring on a rainstorm, but getting there. I could see trees on the other side of the feild.

I move to a sitting position so I can put my chin on my knees and rock myself back and forth as I reflect on everything that's been happening. I stare at the grass as it moves outside.

Let's review. I think to myself. I have been kidnapped by seven men who have robbed me, my family, and my family's friends. They have taken me god-knows-where, and are plotting to kill my father. And let's be honest, after that they'll probably kill me too. I smile sadly at the grass outside my window. I was pretty much gaurenteed to die, wasn't I? Isn't that what happens in these kinds of situations? They keep you around for a little while till they've served their purpose, then they kill you.

The floorboards creaked, and I blinked, twisting around to look at the door. The door opens slowly, and Jun looks in. He smiles when he sees me, and opens the door wider. He holds it open for me, and jerks his head towards the hallway, telling me to walk out with him. I look at him, unsure, and remain sitting. He rolls his eyes, and jerks his head again, still smiling.

"C'mon!" he says. "Don't make me drag you out!" I have no doubt that he will, gladly.

"Why?" I ask. "Where are we going?"

"We're going to eat lunch! Or in your case, breakfast!" Jun says happily. I blink, and give him the universal eyebrow message of 'Are you serious?'

"We're going to eat?" I ask slowly, my head not fitting it together. Wasn't I supposed to be locked in here, fed a microwavable ramen meal given to me through a doggy door?

"Yep!" Jun chirps. "Kiseop microwaved some ramen for him, Hoon, and me, and Kevin went out and got McDonald's for him, Eli, AJ, Soohyun. Kevin got you a happy meal."

"A happy meal?" I raise my eyebrows skeptically.

"Yeah. Kevin made sure to get you the girls one. He would've gotten you a full on meal with actually decent sized portions and a soda that lasts more than five sips, but he was on a budget." Jun explain. "Now are you coming, or would you rather starve?"

I nod, stand up, and walk out of the room into the hallway. I move to the side so Jun can pass and lead the way. I follow him down a hallway and a set of stairs, around a bend, through a room filled with books, and into a brightly colored kitchen. The kitchen has an stove-top oven pushed against a wall, and a microwave above that. A sink is surrounded by cabinets on a wall next to the oven, and a refridgerator is on the other wall next to the oven. On the opposite end of the room from the oven was a table. Sitting at the table, or standing around it, were the rest of my kidnappers. Eli and Kevin were sitting at the table, chowing down on a couple of Big Mac's and fries with medium sodas. Two other men, who must be AJ and Soohyun, were also eating McDonald's, but they were standing. I recognized Hoon, sitting at the table with his ramen. The other man eating ramen must be Kiseop then.

Kevin smiled at me around his mouthful of burger, and Eli waited until he had swallowed before saying, "Morning Na-Ji! You slept like a log!" I nodded, embarrased and awkward, as the men took in my appearance. Jun walked to the table, and picked up a steaming bowl of noodles.

Kiseop looked me over, his eyes showing the frown his face hid. "Are you gonna come and eat?" He asked, picking up a McDonald's happy meal bag. I nod, and walk forward to take the bag from him. I open it, standing off to the side, and pull out the chicken nugget box. After opening that, I take out a single nugget, and bite off a small part. Kevin reached across the table to grab a small soda, and hands it back to me. I take it, swallow the chicken, and take a sip, trying to determine the flavor. Coke.

There is silence for a few minutes, save for the crinkling of the paper McDonald's bags, everyone focusing on eating. I finish the chicken nuggets and the small fries way too quickly, and wash it down with the soda in a matter of seconds, leaving me just standing there awkwardly. I look around the kitchen, and find that like the room I slept in, there was no paint, or anything decorative on the walls. Just a lonely, plain old black and white clock on the wall next to the fridge.

"So, Na-Ji..." Eli says as he takes a sip of his soda. "Shall we lay down the rules?" I tensed, feeling an overwhelming sense of dread overcome me. I nod anyway, because I know that's what I'm supposed to do. "Rule one, you be nice to us, and we'll be nice to you." I nod again, thinking that we're starting off good. "Rule two. You're allowed outside between nine in the morning and ten at night, but one of us has to be with you."

"Sounds good." I agree, waiting for him to drop a bomb on me.

"And rule three, you're allowed anywhere in the house except the basement. You don't go down there, capise?" Eli gives me a warning look to get the point across. And I get the message. But that doesn't stop me from being curious. What's down there? I nod, and ask if there were any more. "That's all for now." Eli answers. He holds out his container of fries, which still has a few good ones left. "Want one?" My stomach growls, and I quickly take two of the french fries.

"Thanks." I mutter as shove the fries into my mouth. I feel the guys stares on me, and I blush. "Is there something wrong?"

Kevin clears his throat. "Nothing, Na-Ji, just that that poor dress is starting to slip..." I blush even more, looking down, trying to fix my dress. I soon realize that it's not going to happen in any sort of satisfactory way.

"Uhmm...." I look at Kevin, embarrassed.

"In your room, in the dresser, there's some clothes. They might be a bit too small for you though. See if you can wear those until we can buy you some new clothes." Kevin orders.

I hesitate before saying, "You're going to buy me clothes?"

"Well we can't have you walking around in that, can we?!" Eli asked, looking at me incredulously.

"I mean, if you want to walk around in tattered rags that don't cover you right, by all means! We won't mind!" Hoon adds, winking.

I shake my head. "I'll take the clothes then, thanks." Hoon pouts, and draws a pretend tear running down his face with his finger. I roll my eyes jokingly at him.

"Go on!" Eli laughs. "Go back to your room and change!"

I nod and rush back through the house back to my room. I shut the door behind me, and open the first drawer of the dresser. I find a vast array of socks in various sizes and styles. The second drawer was full of underwear. I shut that one immedietly, but I saw that it was a girl's underwear in the drawer. Third drawer had shirts, all different sizes. Most of them were T-shirts, but there were a few hoodies. The hoodies were definetly too small for me. I sort through the shirts, but I quickly find that none of them will ever fit me. They looked like they would, but when I pulled them over my head, my chest took up too much space and pulled the hems of the shirts up. Same goes for the pants and shorts in the fourth drawer.

But I notice something. All the clothes have a name embroidered into them. Kim Sun. Who's she, and why are all of her clothes here?

I shove the door closed, and resign myself to waiting for when the boys come with clothes for me. I sit down on the bed for a few seconds, before crossing to the vanity mirror and obsessivly trying to fix the dress. I can't do anything to fix it to my OCD standards, so I get it as close as possible. Then I sigh, and open the door again. I walk down to the first floor again, and follow the noises to what looks like a living room.

"Na-Ji! We were just gonna have Jun go get you!" Kevin exclaimed when he saw me. "I take it the clothes didn't fit?"

"Nope." I answer, shrugging. Kevin nods.

"What are your sizes?" he asks. I tell him my sizes absently, half focusing on the news program they had on.

"The CEO of CAA was hosting a party last night, when the event was interrupted by robbers." the news anchor said. Everyone turns their attention to the tv. "The party turned into a panic as men with guns shot out the lights, before turning their guns on the people. They then proceded to rob the partiers. But the biggest thing they stole was worth more than anything to Mr. Choi, the CEO."

The camera cut to my father, holding my mother in his arms, both their eyes swollen from crying. "My daughter, Choi Ji-Na - she goes by Na-Ji - she was kidnapped by the robbers!" my father then proceeds to describe me as my most recent school photos flashed on the screen. He ends by saying how much it would mean to him if his 'baby girl' was returned to him safe and sound. Eli suggested he do something that was anatomically impossible.

Kiseop turns off the tv, and looks at Eli with eyebrows raised. They have a silent discussion, and Kevin takes the moment to distract me.

"Ok, Na-Ji, I'm gonna go try to find some clothes for you. They're just gonna be jeans and Tees, ok? With a pair of sneaks and socks?"

"Yeah, ok." I nod. Kevin walks past me, and after a few seconds I hear a door open and close. I quickly escape back up to my room, not wanting to be in the living room with those men, half staring at me with pity, the other half impassive and threatening. I lay down on my bed and cry.
_________________

My exams are done! It's officially summer vacation for me!! YESSSSS!! So I double updated. You're welcome. ^_^ Please comment and subscribe!