3

Late Nights Up [Discontinued as far as I can tell]

Two weeks into this sort of...pining after stage of admiration, and Sungjong was pretty sure his health was suffering more than anything. He knew that his lack of sleep was pretty prominent--the dark circles were extremely indicative, on top of his skin and metabolism seemingly suffering along with.

 

When he dragged himself out of bed the next morning, he dreaded looking at himself in the mirror of the bathroom. What previously held a well-rested, baby-faced, seemingly glowing pretty complexion in the reflection of the mirror now held a tired, almost-haggard, seemingly upset expression--dark circles, acne caused by stress and imbalanced hormones due to sleep deprivation (thankfully on his forehead which was an easy fix to hide), and the slight weight gain in not only his face, but his body as well. That was the most upsetting part of everything, he had to admit. As much as he liked to consider himself very much masculine, he held a ridiculous amount of pride concerning his looks.

 

He had pride concerning his naturally good skin, as well as his naturally petite form (that gained weight easily, but he would never outright admit it). However, as of late, he’d notice both of these things suffering--and he still didn’t know who to blame!

 

All he could do really is take care of his skin and watch what he ate in hopes that it would make up for what the sleep deprivation and stress caused. He decided this with a resigned sigh, proceeding to get ready for the day. There was no real use in getting angry over something that couldn’t be helped, right?

 

He washed his face and applied light makeup, taking time to make his hair look nice, picking out clothing that didn’t hug his figure too closely. As satisfied as he could be, he left his room and started out toward the main part of campus, ready to face the day as soon as he got his caffeine fix.

 

Before this whole deal with the gaze, he’d never needed caffeine to keep him awake throughout the day--he was a natural ball of energy, for the most part--but now that he was dealing with late nights filled with typing up and deleting possible love letters with nothing to really base these affections off of aside from how a quick glimpse of a gaze made him feel a wide array of emotions, he really needed the extra help. 

 

Thankfully, Dongwoo was kind enough to provide him with a small fix every so often throughout the day. He didn’t know what exactly was up with Sungjong, but he would quietly provide what he could as long as it helped. He could tell something was up with his friend, but he would wait until he would tell him.

 

Or until something happened in which there would be no choice but to tell him.

 

Sungjong sighed as he approached the café tiredly, taking out his wallet as he stepped up to the counter, placing his order, “One Americano, please.”

 

“Will do,” Dongwoo nodded, a small, worried smile making its way onto his features as he watched the other pay for his drink of choice and move to a table. He really hoped that one of a few things would happen concerning Sungjong: Either he would tell him, the problem would resolve itself and then he would tell him what was up, or the other would be able to move past whatever was affecting him like this.

 

Sungjong, on the other hand, tried to pull his mind into focus as it began to wander to unwanted thoughts and situations--primarily about that gaze. It wasn’t as if he was fully convinced that he was in love (with a pair of eyes, no less), but he was beginning to believe it more than anything else. He’d heard of stories of people pining after their loved ones when they went away for an extensive period of time or they died, and, after a while, they got better and continued how they were, but there was still that period of time that affected them.

 

A wistful sigh escaped his lips as he took a seat and took out his phone, examining his appearance. Even with concealer and BB cream, his dark circles were still pretty visible. A feeling of frustration began to bubble up in his chest once again before he quickly dismissed it, reminding himself that it was pointless to get upset at something he couldn’t find the answer to. Putting his phone away, he sat back and stared at the ceiling. 

 

When he heard a tap on the table he was sitting at, he blinked and looked at the source, finding Dongwoo delivering his drink.

 

“Here’s your Americano--I added an extra espresso shot to hopefully keep you up and awake for a bit.”

 

Sungjong saw the worried smile, and he felt guilty. He knew he should have told Dongwoo at some point, seeing as they’ve been close for years, but he was hoping that this problem could resolve itself soon. If not, then he’d tell his friend about all of it. Dongwoo was a very understanding person, so he didn’t have to worry about being judged or laughed at.

 

“Ah, thanks hyung, I really appreciate it,” he nodded, giving him an appreciative smile. He took the drink into his hands and took a sip, relishing in the warmth and slight energy boost.

 

“No problem.” He lingered for a moment before returning back behind the counter, putting on a smile for the other customers. His eyes would dart back to Sungjong every so often, making sure that he was doing decently while still in his field of vision.

 

He smiled sadly as he watched the other doze off--most likely to catch up on lost sleep. Whatever was going on needed to be dealt with before something serious happened to his friend’s well being. 

 


 

It wasn’t as if Sungjong was surprised when, a few more weeks down the line, he looked even worse than before. If he thought his health was suffering before, this was a lot worse.

 

As he dragged himself out of bed, his mind attempted to run through his schedule for the day. Did he have classes today...? Work...? He leaned against the wall, feeling dizzy. Lately, he’d been eating less so as to manage his weight, and, unfortunately, he knew that he had lost some weight--enough for it to become a topic of discussion amongst himself and his friends (even if he wasn’t present). He knew Dongwoo and Woohyun and Sungyeol were all really worried, but...he still hadn’t really brought up the reasoning behind all the changes in his health and habits.

 

Not to mention that the gaze that would invade his mind seemingly every evening wouldn’t fail to keep him up. The point where it became from an admiration or pining-after of sorts had passed, and now he was just tired and wanted to sleep--he didn’t have the energy to do much, even though it was only a few weeks since the initial meeting of eyes. His body didn’t take too kindly to food and sleep deprivation on top of still managing a busy lifestyle.

 

He heard a knock on his door, and glanced over. “Jongie, you up yet?” he heard through the wooden door.

 

Clearing his throat, he pushed off of the wall and paused to grasp his bearings before approaching and opening the door. “Morning hyung,” he greeted with a smile. It was a bit forced, but even so, Dongwoo managed to make him feel a bit better.

 

“I brought some breakfast--it’s not much, but I was hoping that we could talk while we eat, you know?” the elder offered with a worried smile, seemingly afraid that he would be rejected.

 

Sungjong mulled this over, and he debated saying no to both of the offers; he didn’t want to eat something that would make him gain a lot of weight (he wasn’t really hungry either), nor was he really open to the idea of talking about what would inevitably become concerning his condition. However, he knew that Dongwoo had his best interests at heart, and that this whole situation could probably be helped if he talked about it. So he invited him in.

 

“Alright, come on in,” he nodded, stepping aside so the other could enter.

 

Dongwoo was shocked at the state both Sungjong and his room were in. Normally, his room was neat and organized so things could be found easily, but there seemed to be laundry resting about the floor, various things strewn here and there, his bag left seemingly abandoned on the floor (its previous home was either hanging off of his bedpost or hanging off of a doorknob); not to mention the garbage that was left on his desk and various surfaces--mostly-untouched food in most of the containers, now infested with various pests that looked like they were very much at-home in the steadily-decaying food.

 

He then looked to his friend standing in a t-shirt and boxers, and he had to suppress a gasp or any other sort of sound. Clothing that previously fit comfortably seemed to be just hanging off of his shoulders and hips. His arms and legs were a lot thinner than he remembered--joints and ligaments were a bit more pronounced than they should. It wasn’t as if he was a skeleton, but he looked so much more unhealthy than his face could indicate.

 

His eyes shifted to his friend’s face, and all he saw was weariness and a sad sort of tiredness. He knew that his friend wore makeup during the day to hide problems that seemed to be popping up, but his complexion and expression were indicative of malnutrition and sleep deprivation.

 

“Do you have anything to do today?” Dongwoo questioned cautiously, quickly putting on a smile, so as to not make the other suspicious, but Sungjong knew already that he’d been analyzed, and God only knows what sorts of cogs are turning in his friend’s heads.

 

“Um...I don’t think so...” A pause before a slow nod, “I don’t.”

 

“Good.” Dongwoo gave the bag of food to Sungjong as he moved about the apartment, finding a small side table sufficient enough to hold their food. They ended up sharing the bed as seating.

 

Placing the food on the table, Sungjong sat and allowed the elder to get their food served, and they started eating.

 

Or at least Dongwoo did. The younger more or less picked at his food, but he took bites here and there (It was a relief to see him eating at all, but still).

 

A sigh escaped from the elder as he put his utensils down and turned his torso to face Sungjong, unwilling to keep quiet as he watched him eat so little. “Jongie, please tell me what’s up. And don’t play dumb--I know you’re smart enough to grasp what I’m talking about.”

 

Sungjong almost choked on what little food he’d put in his mouth at the other’s words.

 

“H-hyung?”

 

“I don’t mean to explain your current state, but please explain the reasoning behind it. I’m really worried of how whatever this is is affecting you; you barely eat anything, you’re not getting much sleep, and you seem to survive off of coffee--that’s something you never used to even consider!”

 

The guilt was eating away at his insides--he knew that his hyung didn’t deserve this stress and worry, and that he at least deserved an explanation, especially considering how close to tears the elder looked right now.

 

“I just want to know so I can help, Jongie...I can’t stand to see you like this and not know why.”

 

Sungjong pushed away any pride he had, just so he could talk wholly to his friend and try to explain to the best of his ability. It was a bit difficult, considering that his issues usually resolved themselves quickly so he didn’t have to confide in others--he was able to either take care of them or have them taken care of without much trouble and before it was noticeable to his friends.

 

He pursed his lips before speaking, “Have you ever met eyes with someone you’ve never met and you can’t forget? Their gaze is just so affecting that it’s seemingly imprinted itself on your brain, and that your brain won’t let you alone because of it. That’s the reasoning behind it.” He sighed.

 

“Do you remember a while ago when you took me out to lunch, and afterwards I went to the library to relax?” He received a nod after a pause, for Dongwoo to think. “Later that night all of us--Woohyun hyung, Sungyeol hyung, you, and I all slept on the floor,” he further provided, slightly tensing as he felt arms encircle his body and a nod brushing against his arm.

 

“When I went to the library and was picking out some Shakespearean plays to read, I accidentally met eyes with a stranger a few aisles down through the shelves. I don’t know why, but it affected me...” he swallowed heavily. “It might sound ridiculous, but my brain won’t stop keeping me awake at night with it! It’s made me anxious, hyung, not understanding how a simple gaze can affect me physically... It’s as if my body is telling me to find out who those eyes belong to--I feel like I have to if it’ll help me sleep again. I feel so frustrated--” his voice cracked “--that I can’t come to a logical explanation as to why this is happening!”

 

He glared daggers into his food, feeling tears run down his cheek from the low level of emotional control he was grasping currently. He felt Dongwoo’s arms tighten around him, his body pressed closer to the elder. He relished in the comfort, pressing himself closer as he let tears fall.

 

“Let it all out, Jongie...” He felt a hand his hair, comforting him further, and he grasped his friend’s shirt tightly in an attempt to... He wasn’t sure why, but it helped.

 

“Maybe we can find out who that gaze belongs to, before your health deteriorates any more. In fact, I’ll get Sungyeol and Woohyun, and maybe even Sunggyu and Hoya on it to find out quicker!” He could feel the grin from his friend, and he smiled a little.

 

After a couple more comforting words with spoken, Sungjong was able to calm down completely, and he sniffled, pulling a napkin from the bag to press at his face and tears, as well as to blow his nose. After he took a deep breath, he smiled wholly at the other, feeling a huge weight off his shoulders.

 

“Thank you hyung,” he smiled, pouting slightly at the light pinch to his cheek.

 

“It’s no problem--I’m sure that Woohyun and Sungyeol are going to be glad that we can all do something for you. As long as you start getting back to being the healthy and happy Jongie we all know and love!” He laughed and grinned, rubbing Sungjong’s back comfortingly. “Now eat!”

 

The younger nodded in response, proceeding to eat more than he had in a while, “Thank you again, hyung.”

 

“You can thank me by eating.”

 


a/n: Hallo again~! I know it's shorter, but hopefully it wasn't too...anything, like rushed, or over the top (hehe, INFINITE ref). I feel like flow is a bit awkward at some parts, but I hope I was able to convey things successfully, and that you're enjoying Jongie's struggle, because I certainly am not (//sobsob I don't like torturing him with something so simplistic, but that's how I show my love, unfortunately). I feel like there could be more, but my brain was struggling through this whole chapter, to be honest. And now I need some suggestions! As to how Myungsoo and Sungjong will finally meet in person. I have a few ideas, concerning cameras/photographs, or group dates, or something happens and myungsoo has to care for Sungjong for a bit. I dunno, which would you prefer? The poll will be below (hopefully) and I'll give options without too much divulgence of how each would play out~