Home is Already Too Far -

Where The Demons Hide

SIDENOTE: This military base trains their soldiers cruely, not only by vigorous military standarded obstacles and excercises, but also by murdering captured rebels as a way of feeling no mercy in the battlefield.

"Oh. . " Eunjung couldn't help, but feel bad for the girl. It finally answered the question of why Qri always looked so pained and emotionless to many things. Eunjung remembered that one certain day where the officers made the girls do a unspeakable act. Qri didn't even wince once, when the Sergeant forced the soldiers to stab a captured rebel with a bayonet repetitively. Each time she ed the dagger's end, Eunjung flinched, hearing the skin tear and blood gush out.

"I. . I'm sorry about your brother." Eunjung gulped, feeling a lump form on her dry throat. Qri smiled, surprising her latter "No need to apologize. Besides, I'm sure he's in a better place than this ed up world."

"I guess so, well. . let's start over then. . I'm Eunjung. Ham Eunjung." She held a hand out to Qri, looking at the girl with kind honey brown eyes.

Qri lifted up a hand slowly, wrapping it around her's into a firm handshake.

"Jihyun. Lee Jihyun. . But call me Qri."

---

"WAKE UP, GIRLS ! IT'S TIME TO GET REALITY BEATEN INTO YOU !" Sergeant Kahi bursted through the barrack door, startling everyone awake. Boram quickly scurried off her bed, trying to beat the sleepiness off of her. She stood still by her bed, anticipating the moment where the sergeant passed by her with no trouble. Hyomin, who was awake all night, was already standing by her bed before the brute even opened the door. Jiyeon literally threw herself off the bed, knowing full well that she can fall back asleep at any moment. Soyeon grudgingly got off her bunk, grumbling to herself in tiny angry growls.

Sergeant Kahi walked down the middle of the room, making sure that no one was asleep. Her boots clunked heavily against the wooden floorboards.

"YOU'VE GOT 5 MINUTES TO GET DRESSED ! MOVE IT !"

Everyone made their way to the ends of their beds. There, there was their pair of heavy boots and uniforms that were dirty from all those hours of training. Boram struggled to get those enormous military pants on. "Why can't they have extra small, as a size. . ?!" She huffed to herself. Hyomin quickly spun the laces of her boots into tight knots, making sure they won't come loose. She didn't want to trip again, when they were forced to jog for hours.

As 5 minutes passed, the sergeant quietly examined everyone. Her arms were folded at her chest, only to chuckle in a sinister way. "Oh. . I almost forgot. In place, girls. I'll be right back. ." She strictly commanded and left the room.

"You think she's talking about the two that fought last night ?" The trainees started gossiping in hushed voices to each other.

"I thought those two were wolf bait or something." A girl ignorately said.

---

Sergeant Kahi walked down to the latrines. Making her way to the double door entrance, she was pretty surprised at what she saw. The bathroom was at it's cleanest state that she's ever saw. The floor was scrubbed clean and the sinks seemed to be cleaned with bleach or some chemical whitener.

She turned her head only to furrow her eyebrows at the sight she saw.

The two latters were dozing off, their backs were against the wall and their skinny little shoulders leaned against each other for support. "And I told them to not sleep. . " She grabbed the buckets that were filled with the liquid filth, holding it up. She spilled it on the two, both jolting awake and trying to get a breath of air.

"What the hell ?!" Eunjung pushed wet hair particles out of her face, only to be looked eye to eye at the sergeant. Qri tried squeezing the excess water from her clothes.

"Maybe next time, you shouldn't fall asleep." She coldly said, dragging the two out of the latrines.

---

As she opened the door to the barracks again, the girls turned their heads to see the two drenched girls.

"The hell happened to them.  ?" Jiyeon whispered at Hyomin, who only shrugged.

"Go change clothes and none of your bull from now on, UNDERSTAND ?!" Sergeant Kahi barked at the two, who merely nodded their heads.

---

"Come on, Private Park ! YOU CALL THAT STABBING ? NO ! I WANT TO SEE YOU PUT YOUR ALL TO IT SO THAT YOU CAN SEE THE REBEL'S DESPERATE CRIES, AS YOU SLIT HIS ING THROAT !! MAKE HIM BEG FOR HIS LIFE !" . Hyomin could barely even shove the bayonet at the child rebel. He looked barely 12 and his hands and legs were bound to a wooden stake that jutted out the ground. She tried again, only to flinch once more and just merely scratch at his youthful skin through his torn uniform. "I SAID HARDER ! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU ?!" Drill Sergeant Kim *Kwang Soo* wasn't at all impressed with what he was seeing.

The child's eyes were wide of fear and his lips quivered. His pupils followed the blade end of the bayonet, yelping at the slightest motion of it in Hyomin's shaking hands. The kid shook violently, his passion to be a rebel was stripped away from him. She looked at the drill instructor to the his face, only to have her teeth grit tightly together. He had golden yellow eyes, the same as Hyomin's.

"I can't kill a kid. . I just can't."  became dry and her saliva seemed to just evaporate.

They matched the same scared, pitiful, and panicked expression on their pupils.

"SOLDIER, ARE YOU NG DEAF ?" Sergeant Kim shouted in a frustrated tone, he felt around the back of his waist to grab ahold of the sewn on holster. The other soldiers stopped their practice, nervously watching the scene under the cloudy weather.

"PRIVATE PARK, I ORDER YOU TO EXTERMINATE THIS VERMIN, AT ONCE !" He discreetly gripped at the handle of the cobra revolver, which laid comfortably in his holster. "I-I can't. . " She gulped, her knees wanted to crumple upon the destroyed grass. Her face was fixed on her bayonet and the rebel.

"Fine. . " He walked up next to her, flipping out his fully loaded revolver. Hyomin froze in place, her knees didn't shake anymore. Now, it was her ribcage that was rattling from her rapid heartbeat. He pushed the gunpoint at her head. "How about now ? You have till 3 to get rid of him." He said in a disgustingly grim voice. Her wrists wouldn't budge and her feet felt like they had lead shoes on.

"3." He started.

"WAIT ! NO, I DON'T THINK WE SHOULD MAKE HER DO IT THIS WAY !" A voice rose up from the field, only to be Soyeon. She couldn't stand to watch one of her comrades get headshot already.

"Park Soyeon, get back to your place before I break both of your knees." He growled at her harshly. It only made her more aggravated.

"Then do it ! I don't care, as long as you don't kill her off !" Soyeon hissed back. The rest of the soldiers stood motionlessly, waiting for the next catastrophe.

"2 !"

He ignored Soyeon and shoved the end of the gun more at the side of Hyomin's head. The child rebel was now squeaking for help, it rung at her ears.

"1 !"

"AH ! ! !. . . " Hyomin's golden yellow eyes closed shut, as she lunged the bayonet forward. The soldier's all cringed, watching the blade go right through the center of the child's white throat. Blood squirted out in wide sprays, which pitter pattered Hyomin's face with warm droplets. She could hear the kid gurgle in his own blood and the sound of him trying to grasp at his life.

"It better not take this long next time, you mutt." Sergeant Kim muttered and slid his pistol back into it's respected place. He turned around in his heels, leaving the fields to get back in the base.

Hyomin opened her eyes to see the slumped body of the kid. His eyes were still wide open and his mouth dripping with fresh blood. He stunk of murder and hatred, which wanted to make her vomit. Her hands ceased the grip it had on the bayonet, which slid out easily from his wound. It dropped onto the soil with a clack and watched the rebel's injury slit open, gushing more of what was internal.

The inside of her esophagus burned and made her crumple to all fours. She clasped with one hand and her back heaved. Her vomit slipped through the spaces of her fingers. It was a mixture of what was on her plate 4 hours ago and the blood of her stomach.

"Hyomin ! Are you okay . . ?!" Soyeon went to the girl's side, patting her back gently.

"L-lea. . " Hyomin felt it rise once more, but this time more blood than food particles.

"What . . ?" Soyeon looked at the girl with concern wiping her pale face.

"I said leave me alone, for now !" Hyomin pushed Soyeon's hand away with a shoulder jerk and made her way up in a jittery matter. Her lips were stained from her upchucking and the blood of the young.

Since that day, the image of the bayonet stuck in the child's throat, never left her mind.