We Were Once Strangers Too -

Where The Demons Hide

- Back when they were still trainees -

---

"To the dining halls, sit with the squad I assigned you too. Afterwards, to the barracks. Not one person out past 11. Anyone of you out, and I'll shove dog food down your skinny little throats. You hear me ?" Sergeant Kahi growled lowly at the line of girls, who responded back with a loud "Yes, ma'am !"

The higher ranking nodded her head and marched off to the lieutenant's office, which was just down the hall of this asylum esque place.

---

Soyeon looked around trying to find each member of her squad. All the other girls were more interested in people they already knew or seeing what's for dinner. As she held her tray firmly on her hands, she looked down at what she was having. A bowl of what seemed to be half-cooked rice porridge, a small bread loaf, and a bruised apple.

"H-hey, aren't you in my squad ?" Soyeon felt a tap on her shoulder and turned around to see a tiny recruit clad in a oversized uniform. Soyeon smirked teensily, remembering that this little one was constantly yelled at by Sergeant Kahi for being too slow, during the morning jog. "I found the others too !" She showed a small smile and pointed behind her in what seemed to be the others.

Soyeon now remembers how they all looked, but not their names. One was skinny like a stick and had a long face, she definitely needed more food on her dinner tray. Another one had short dark hair and stood the tallest. She had broader shoulders and a grumpy look on her face. The last one had these strange shaped eyes that didn't seem too kind.

"I think we're missing one. . " Hyomin quietly murmured.

"You're right, but how did she look again ?" Jiyeon nodded her head to the side, trying to remember.

"She had long hair and a face that looks like it's always in pain or something." Eunjung snickered at her own comment.

"Don't say that !" Boram looked at Eunjung and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Well whatever, I think that's her over there." Eunjung's eyes roamed to the table by the end of the mess hall. A lone girl sat down at one corner and was picking at her food. Her hair was so long, it practically spilled on the table and metal bench seats.

"Let's go sit with her, c'mon." Soyeon said, as she headed towards her.

---

Several blunt clunks rung out in front and next to Qri. She looked up from the rice porridge mess she made with her spoon, to meet eyes with Boram.

"Hi, remember us ? We're in your squad !" Boram enthusiastically held up a hand, for a handshake. Qri merely looked at the petite girl and just went on poking her porridge with barely any change in her emotion. Boram awkwardly just laughed and put her hand back down and spoke up one more time.

"Let's get to know each other atleast ! I'm Jeon Boram ! I'm from Hyehwadong District ! What bout you guys ?" Boram's forest green eyes glinted under the poor blinking lights of the mess hall. She was already lapping up the food from her tray.

( SIDE NOTE : EYE COLORS ARE ACCORDING TO THE DISTRICT YOU COME FROM )

"Soyeon, Park Soyeon. From Ulsan District." Soyeon informed the rest.

"Park Hyomin, from Hyesan District." Hyomin followed along.

"Park Jiyeon, from Sinuiji District." Jiyeon's voice was surprisingly very husky, amongst the rest.

"Ham Eunjung. From Chucheon District, a stupid place, I'd say." Eunjung chuckled to herself.

"And what bout you . . ?" Soyeon looked directly at Qri, who was still mushing up her food. She had no good feeling about this one, she seemed to have no interest in them.

Qri looked up revealing cloudy grey eyes, which beamed back at Soyeon's icy blue eyes and to the rest.

"Lee Qri, from Hongseong District." Qri muttered at them, which only amused Eunjung.

"You don't talk much, don't you ?" Eunjung stared at her with her pair of hazel honey eyes. Eunjung just loved being impulsive to people, just to piss them off. It entertained her.

"You know, your life is in our hands, as well. Not just your own frail little hands." Eunjung jeered on, only to be hushed by Soyeon.

"Eunjung, stop. We're here to bond with the others, not to make them our enemies." Soyeon strictly replied to her. Hyomin nodded and added "Yeah, Eunjung. Like cool it. She's probably just shy or something. . " Eunjung cackled in laughter and wiped a fake tear. She nudged an elbow at Jiyeon.

"Shy ?! You mean rude as hell, ahaha."

"With a mouth like yours, I'm sure someone will shove a bayonet down your throat." Qri chuckled, only to be given wide eyes by all of them.

"What ?" Eunjung now looked at her directly, her face now shrouding in anger and not a ridiculous grin. The table behind them already had some girls staring to see what the racket was all about "What did ya say ? You bug-eyed freak."

"Yeah, you heard me, Ham Eunjung. You won't last 5 minutes in that battlefield without a mouth full of bullets." Qri scoffed at her, this time speaking with a louder tone.

In a quick second, Eunjung held Qri up against the wall. The sound of her back banging against the cement walls was cringe worthy. The collar of her fellow latter was wrapped tightly around her fist. The mess hall quickly fell quiet and heads of atleast 60 girls turned to watch probably the 6th fight of the day. "Oh, so you wanna play some games now, huh ?" Eunjung snarled at the girl. Qri's face was unchanged, it still held that same bored expression. "SPEAK !" Eunjung shook the hand that had Qri's cloth balled up on it.

"H-hey ! Stop it, you two !" Boram tried to pry her way in between the two. Soyeon stood up, but planted her feet on the ground. "There's no reason to ing fight, Eunjung." Jiyeon rasped out.

"Shut the up ! I'm going to shut this up, before any ing rebel can. " Holding up a right fist to try and bust the girl's mouth.

"HEY ! WHAT'S ALL THIS DAMN RACKET ?!" Sergeant Kahi busted into the cafeteria, a rather unpleasant expression was painted on her face. The rest of the girls quickly gave the sergeant a mediocre salute and stood facing her. Their backs were towards the squad, who were now panicking. She walked to the center, her gloved hands behind her back.

"PRIVATE LEE AND PRIVATE HAM, FRONT AND CENTER !"

"Ah. . . . " Eunjung grumbled, lowering her arm and loosening her grip on Qri.

They walked up to the steaming sergeant, who looked down on them with great disgust.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU TWO WERE DOING ?! IS THAT ANY WAY TO TREAT EACH OTHER ?! SHOULD I JUST USE YOUR BODIES AS SHIELDS FOR THE WAR ?! HMMM ?!! " She roared at the two, and they can only bite their lips. "N-no, Sergeant Kahi." They both stuttered.

"EXACTLY ! NOW, YOU TWO WILL STAY UP ALL NIGHT CLEANING UP THE LATRINES WITH TOOTHBRUSHES ! I'D BETTER SEE IT SPARKLING, IN THE MORNING OR YOU'LL BE USED AS SHOOTING TARGETS." Sergeant Kahi growled at them.

"Yes, Sergeant Kahi. . " They both murmured simultaneously.

Hyomin called out and tried explaining to the unpredicable brute. "Wait ! B-but, Sergeant Kahi ! This was just a mistake, th-they really didn't mean to start a figh-"

"Private Park, do you want to be rebel bait ?" The sergeant questioned her coldly, it made Hyomin want to cower back and regret that she spoke up.

"No. . Sergeant." She whispered back.

"Then. . if I were you, I'd shut my ing trap up." Kahi hissed at her.