Our Lives are so Short -

Where The Demons Hide

"RUN ! CORPORAL SOYEON ! GO ! RUN ! ! I SAID RUN !"

That's the last thing she heard, before her ears went deaf and was thrown harshly across the muddy grounds. Immense pain ripped through her chest and blood clogged . couldn't seem to function, her pain screamed in the inside of her body. Her eyes became a blur, the graying skies were all she could see.

Hyomin watched the horrific scene, it replayed back and forth in her head. She turned her head to see the rebels advancing and viciously slit the throats of her fellow comrades with their bayonets. Explosions surrounded her and not one member of her squad can be recognized, in the battlefield.

Bloodcurdling screams and dismembered limbs splayed everywhere, as Hyomin dashed through to Soyeon. Her arms ached from carrying a automatic machine gun, meant for a man to handle. The roars of the rebels were only a few dozen meters away and her legs felt like they can explode. The mud splashed at her face and soldiers bumped into the frail girl, desperately trying to make her way through.

---

Eunjung and Qri were already by their corporal's side. Their hands gripped tightly around Soyeon's wrists and were desperately trying to drag her to the trenches.

"GET ALL OF THESE PATHETIC S ! I don't care how you kill them ! BREAK THEIR SPINES, GUT THEM, STUFF KNIVES DOWN THEIR THROATS !"

The faint cries and cheers of rebels were not too far.

"L-LET GO OF ME !" Soyeon's mouth sprayed blood, as she tried breaking free of their grip. Her lifeless arms flailed at Eunjung and Qri, but their grip was overbearingly strong. The smoke and haze blinded their eyes. Sounds of bullets rushing and shrapnel imploding deafened their sensitive ears. "I SAID LET GO, PRIVATES !" Adrenaline rushed through her, as she tried to break free. Jiyeon watched painfully to see her corporal try getting back to the raging war zone. Her tears stung her right eye which was long gone, it stained the wrapping of the bandages tightly around it.

Eunjung quickly scrambled her way and grabbed Soyeon, standing her up. In a quick moment, her fist planted right at Soyeon's left cheek, sending them both toppling down on the soiled ground. Eunjung quickly made her way on top of Soyeon and snatched the shocked girl's collar.

"CORPORAL SOYEON ! I'M TELLING YOU TO EVACUATE TO THE TRENCHES, RIGHT NOW ! !" She brought her face up to Soyeon's. She could hear angry snarls escape her lips. "KEEP QUIET, I CAN CONTINUE TO FIGHT ! I'M NOT WEAK !" Soyeon roared back with pure anger and pride. "SHUT THE UP ! DO YOU WANT TO ING DIE ?!" Eunjung brought her fist up one more time, punching Soyeon even harder on the face. Blood dripped out from her busted mouth, as a small voice cried out.

"STOP ING AROUND AND GET HER OVER HERE, EUNJUNG ! " Boram panicked from the trenches.

"Stop this, Eunjung." Qri roughly rasped at her, grabbing the now weakened corporal to safety.

Eunjung grit her teeth down harshly, as she grudgingly helped Qri carry her down. "You ing idiot, you both could've died wasting your time like that." Qri growled, as Boram nodded her head. Gently, they laid Soyeon to sit with her back against the blood stained mud walls. Hyomin and Jiyeon made their way towards the trio, the sound of grenades and artillery was everwhere. The sickening sound of soldier's dying turned Hyomin's stomach. It churned and ached viciously. Cargo planes and enemy planes soared through the dust covered skies. It was unbearable. The memory of shooting a child rebel frequently appeared in Jiyeon's mind. It wanted to make her throw up.

---

"Jiyeon, Hyomin ! I'm glad you guys are safe too. " Boram's voice was relieved, showing a broken smile to them.

"Why am I here. . ?! This is pointless, I'm okay !" Soyeon lied, the pain on her chest was too much to handle. It felt like white hot knives twisiting in her.

"Are you nuts ? You're not going anywhere ! Just look at that damn wound ! " Jiyeon screeched at her, pointing at the shrapnel lodged into Soyeon's chest.

"Forget her, let's go by ourselves." Eunjung lowly mumbled, but it rung at Hyomin's ears.

"What ?! Are you ing crazy ? We're surely going to die ! ! DO YOU NOT SEE THE NUMBER OF REBELS OUT THERE ?! WE LOST ATLEAST 1/4 OF OUR SOLDIERS TODAY ! !" Hyomin pleaded angrily.

Eunjung looked at the girl with grim eyes. "So you'd rather die like a weak bastard, than atleast try and fight back. How ing pathetic of you. . you're really ing low, Park Hyomin."

"Wha-What ?! Shut the fu-"

"Eunjung's right, there's no point of standing here. I'd rather die, knowing it was for a purpose. " Qri interrupted Hyomin, with a calm and indifferent voice.

---

Their guns were held firmly with their hands. Without their corporal, they don't know what to do. But today, they will show that they're not weak.

Each squad member climbed their way out of the trench. Revealing a more nightmare-ish scenery, before their eyes. "Come on, Boram. Let's go," Jiyeon held out a hand for the shortest latter from the defence of the trench.

"O-okay. Hold on." Boram grabbed her hand, only to be gently tugged at the ankle. Boram looked behind her to see a tearing Soyeon. The squad member's pitifully looked at their bleeding leader, from below. They could see the glint of sorrowful tears glossing her round eyes.

"P-please. . just come back a-alive. . " She stuttered with quivering lips. She had to look at their faces, just one last time.

Wiped with stranger's blood or not, just one last time.