Chapter 2: Letter

Letters to Heaven

“Your father called yesterday while you were sleeping,” his aunt told him.

Jongup did not reply her but put his concentration on the show that was showing on the television.

“He’s enrolling you in a school here.” That meant making new friends. Jongup just wanted to stay in his own little bubble with Himchan and no one else to ruin the peace.

But maybe change was good as well.

“He needs you to graduate before you can go back to the office.”

Jongup turned his head towards her and glared. Of course, his father just wanted him to get back to the company. Maybe it was because of his father that’s why Himchan got into the accident. He wasn’t going to go back to that dreadful room and have stupid meetings every hour.

“Tell him he can control the company well on his own. I’m not going back to that place,” Jongup said as he stood up and left the living room.

“But Jongup-ah, just go to school, will you? You’re wasting your life here.”

Jongup stopped in his footsteps and look at her. Since when did she cared about how he spent his life. She was a homophobe, she could not be bothered with what a gay person does in his life, she was just faking it. He narrowed his eyes at her and continued his way to his room.

But she spoke the truth. He had nothing to do here, no familiar faces he knew to talk to, to hang out with. He didn’t even know whether this place had a mall. How wonderful and boring.

Jongup looked out of the window in his room, the two brothers from yesterday were out there in their yard again. Maybe he should try to befriend them.

Or not.

He looked at the stack of blank sheets of paper on the tabletop. They were probably empty as the life in this place, silent and had nothing going on.


Jongup picked up the pen and looked at the piece of paper. It was probably as blank as his mind right now. He couldn’t think of what to write to HimChan or anyone else. What do you exactly write to a dead person? How much you missed them? How angry you are at them for leaving you?

People would probably laugh at him for sending a letter to a casket but he could not care less for them.

How is it going down there? You probably think I’m really pathetic writing you a letter when you are lying down there cold and probably getting eaten by maggots.

I shouldn’t have asked you to come that day. You wouldn’t be dead then, Himchan.

They sent me to Busan after you left. They said it was to help me forget you but I would never forget you.

It’s kind of boring here, there are a few kids next door but they’re a bit freaky in many ways or another. I hope you would help me and get a friend for me.

Oh my God, what am I doing, asking a dead person to find a friend for me. Anyways, watch over me and your family. I heard that Mrs Kim isn’t doing too well recently. Take care and be safe up there.