Chapter 1

Letters to Heaven

Jongup ran his fingers through his hair again and sighed. This meeting was taking too long, he was supposed to meet Himchan 30 minutes ago. He sent a text message to inform him 20 minutes ago but the latter never replied him.

The older men were arguing about the state of the finances of the company that Jongup did not really want to understand about currently. His father forced him to be here. He could not be bothered with the company.

Someone then knocked on the door. This day could not get any worse. Jongup just wanted to end this meeting as soon as possible, he did not need another meeting after this. The older men continued their heated debate, oblivious to the knocking.

“What is it?!” Jongup yelled at the door.

The door opened and there was Jongup’s secretary, panting. The meeting room fell silent as everyone looked at him.

“This better be good Jaehyun-sshi. I’m already wasting my time here.”

“Sir, it’s Himchan.”

Jongup’s attention was immediately attracted to Jaehyun’s words, “What happened to Himchan.”

“He’s in the hospital. He got into a car accident.”


Jongup stared at his food, he was not in the mood to eat. 

“You should really eat something Jongup-ah. Its not healthy to skip meals,” his aunt put down her cutlery and looked at him from the other side of the table. She saw the tired boy who was forced to mature to a man when he was only 14.

Jongup never talked to her much after the accident. He used to be close to his family but he had built walls around himself. His father sent him here to stay with his aunt after his many mental breakdown at the office. It was supposedly to give him time to think and let go of him.

Wrong. His father sent him here to get treatment. His aunt was a psychologist, she was supposed to help him recover. She could easily read through him. Jongup played around with his food, “ How much did father pay you?”

The elder woman chuckled and looked at him, “ I’m your family, there isn’t a need to pay me.”

“Doesn’t seem like it. I’m going to my room.”

Jongup could hear the woman let out a loud sigh while he climbed the stairs that led to his room. Maybe she was the one who needed therapy, living all the way in the countryside and alone in a big house. There were neighbors but Jongup did not like them, especially that tall kid who was a year younger than him and his deep voiced brother. He could not remember their names but they were weird.

He was going to drown himself in his music again but his aunt knocked on his door repeatedly before he could do so. He threw his earphones on his bed and pulled the door open, giving her a face.

“Jongup-ah, I just wanted to pass you some paper and envelopes.”

Jongup looked at the paper in her hands and narrowed his eyes. He did not need these paper and envelopes, he was not going to write a letter to someone. It was the 21st century, technology is already more advanced than before, he could just text someone what he wanted to say instead of writing a letter.

He took the paper into his hands.

“Use these papers well. You can write a letter to Himchan or even heaven or God about your feelings, “ she gave him a small smile.

His aunt was going to start talking about Christianity again.

“ Believing and having faith in God will help you continue your way in life.”

“Is this one of your methods to help you patients, “ Jongup stared at her.

He could almost see his aunt’s smile falter a little but she managed to keep it on her face, “It’s just something that I thought that might help you.”

“Well, thanks but no thanks.”

He slammed the door in her face. He was growing tired of her little acts to help him recover from this grief.

He just threw the pieces of paper on his table. He was not going to follow her instructions and write letters to someone who is already dead.

He put his earphones in his ears and turned up the volume of his music. It helped him more than whatever his aunt did to pull him out of this ocean of sadness.

He wanted to dance but Himchan was not there to see him dance. His father actually had forbidden him to dance since he said it would bring him to nowhere in society. Himchan was practically the only person who continued to persuade him to continue dancing despite his father’s words. But he was dead already, Jongup could no longer hear his deep trucker voice cheer him on.

He was not in his father’s house anyways. Jongup pulled himself up from his bed and stood up straight. He closed his eyes and tried to remember the times Himchan and him sneaked out to the 24 hour dance studio in the middle of the night. He let the beat of the song flow through his body. He thought he had forgotten the moves that Himchan liked so much.

Suddenly, the image of Himchan and him at the studio disappeared and it led to the scene at the hospital. Himchan’s face was bloody and Jongup saw Himchan’s sister sitting along the corridors of the ward crying. He could only hear the doctors trying to explain to him what had happened before he had arrived and then he had passed out.

Jongup opened his eyes and fell forward with his arms stretched out. He winced at the pain that had shot up his legs. He was sure he twisted his ankle.

“Jongup, are you okay up there?” He heard his aunt asking.

“Mind your own business!”

He had to get Himchan out of his mind. He stood up and lifted himself back on his bed. He saw the pieces of paper strewn all over his table. Maybe he could try it but he just wanted to close his eyes and forget about Himchan for now.