Normal

Protecting You, Killing Me

The sunlight kissed my cheek and bathed me in warmth as I sat in the courtyard of my high school with my white earphones plugged into both of my ears. In the city of New York, there were barely any grass that grew in large groups. Just weeds and fake grass. That was why I was sitting on a wooden bench in the courtyard, waiting for my best friend rather than sitting on the hard, bumpy pavement underneath me. I didn't exactly fancy it, though I could if I wanted to. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to get lost in the music.

Thwack.

"What?" I opened my eyes to see Hailey falling into the seat next to me, sighing. Without a word, she shoved the papers she was holding into my hands and groaned.

"I hate Mr. Clarkson! Does he not realize how much pressure and stress he's putting on us?" It was her history test. In big red, eye-catching letters, a clear D- was written and Hailey snatched the test from my hands and crumpled the piece of paper up and threw it on the floor of the courtyard. "Stupid Clarkson! Making a project due on the day of the test. I didn't get to study because I was working on the stupid project."

"Maybe you shouldn't have procrasinated." I suggested as I pulled out of my ear plugs out of my ear.

"Sera, it's easy for you to say. You don't have that PMSing teacher. He's so mean and annoying." Hailey ruffled her dirty blonde hair, frustrated at herself and her history teacher. "I think you have all the easy teachers."

"Think what you want, but I'm thinking that Mr. Clarkson wouldn't be happy seeing you litter. Especially when you just threw his test paper onto the ground."

"I don't care, Sera! I'm going to work in McDonald's. I don't care anymore!" Hailey flopped down on the bench, letting her legs rest on my lap. I managed a small smile before pushing her legs off my lap to retrieve her crumpled test paper.

"I hope you know that the standards for working in McDonald's now are higher. You need to have graduated high school in order to work there." I teased as I made my way to the test. As I was about to pick it up, someone else did it for me.

"Is this yours?" It was Jason Walker.

"Yeah. Thanks for picking it up." I sent him a polite smile and took the crumpled ball and was about to head back to Hailey when he grabbed my wrist. He pulled me towards his direction and winked at me.

"It's no problem at all. If you ever need help, I'll be there," his light green eyes twinkled and his lips curled up into a smile. "Sera." He walked off as Hailey kept wide open and watched him leave. The moment he left, Hailey tackled me and squealed with excitement.

"Oh my god. Did you hear how he said your name? Oh my god, he's so charming!" Hailey said, dreamily looking at the spot he once stood.

"I'm just so interested now." I said sarcastically. Hailey let out a huff and fixed her messy hair, grabbing her backpack as the bell rang.

"That's because you're too into Kpop and that Shin... whatever his name was. You never take interest in any guys from our school.  Ahem, I mean guys who know you actually exist. I love One Direction and all, but if they had asked me out at the same time as my crush, I'd choose my crush." Hailey poked my arm as we made our way back into the school and the slightly crowded hallways and I became lost in my thoughts.

Was it really my fault? Shin Dong Ho was just... unexplainable. The moment I saw a picture of him, I felt attracted to him somehow. His blonde hair in the music video for Bingeul Bingeul, his bunny pajamas, and the very unique way he lived. His Twitter, facebook, and any social networking account he has, I followed. Not to create any misunderstandings but for some reason, I feel as if he has to be protected. However, these past three years, I rarely heard anything from him. 

Now that Dong Ho wasn't in the international idol group he was in, my heart would feel heavy with worries. I felt like something went incredibly wrong. And ever since the new member... Jun joined a year ago, I couldn't bring myself to like him. There was just something about him that was unsettling. How should I say it? It feels like he's trying to mock me and I'm not sure if other fans have felt the same way. Maybe it's just because he took Dong Ho's position in the group. That was probably it. My caution towards him would slowly learn to fade away. I hope.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was walking home by myself since Hailey had volleyball practice. I wasn't a big fan of sports and I felt as if I could spend the time I use practicing, for more important things such as studying. I turned the corner onto a fairly silent block as the spring breeze messed with long light brown hair. I dyed it strictly about two months ago because Hailey suggested that I tried something with my supposed, "boring" dark brown hair.

Feeling a little tired from the stress of school, I stuffed my hands in the pockets of my light spring sweater. Everything I needed was in my pockets. My phone, a few dollars, and the keys to the apartment. I gingerly stepped into the newly renovated lobby of the apartment building and pressed the silver button to get the elevator.

I unlocked the apartment door and threw my scarlet red backpack to the wooden tiles of the apartment and stumbled inside my room. I fell into the cushioned chair and rolled over to my desk, turning on my laptop. I immediately went to YouTube to rewatch some of the videos of Dong Ho I've already seen.

Oh how much I missed him.

"Sera? Are you home?" I could hear my brother's voice interrupt my video and I rolled my eyes, clicking the pause button. "SERA!" I heard a thump and a groan from my brother as I harshly yanked my door open.

"Yes?" I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow at my older brother who was on the floor, glaring at me.

"Mom said to make sure you do your homework first." He got up slowly and brushed some dirt off of himself, looking at me. "And didn't I tell you last time not to throw your backpack everywhere?"

"Well, if you had used your small eyes you would've been able to see it." I argued as he tossed my backpack to me. "By the way, I get good grades at school for all that mom cares. You're the one that needs help." I dragged my backpack into my room as my brother followed me and continued to argue with me. The apartment door opened once again and my brother and I immediately shut up and shot each other glares as we went out to greet our parents.

"How about steak for dinner? With broccoli?" Our father asked as he ruffled my hair.

"Anything is fine for us." My brother said in Cantonese, cracking a smile at the thought of steak. Honestly, I was with him on this one. I was drooling at the thought of having meat for dinner. For some reason, I liked every dish these was. My brother hates mushrooms in all honesty but I love them.

"I'll go wash the rice then." My mother said in Cantonese as my father peeled his jacket off and nodded. The rest of the evening went as normal and I felt content with it. I watched more YouTube videos, did my homework, ate dinner, played around, and then headed to bed after washing up. My muscles felt relaxed as I climbed into bed and stared at the ceiling of my room, countless of thoughts about Kpop running through my mind.

Well- not exactly Kpop, but Dong Ho. Was it normal for a fan like me to miss him so much? But Jun was also stuck in my mind as well. He was captivating for some reason and it made me extremely uncomfortable. I let the maknaes fight each other in my mind as I tried to find some peace. For the past three years, I've lived like this. Thinking about them for an hour before heading off to bed. 

An hour had passed and I was tired out. Yet, I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned for five minutes before taking my phone and checking twitter to see a few other tweets out. The Kpop group Dong Ho was in had realized a couple of tweets and Jun was one of them that had tweeted.

Jun1997: I hope all our beloved fans are having a great day so far! We miss our U.S. fans and can't wait to see you guys! Which is why... we'll be hosting our second U.S. tour a week from now! America, brace yourselves!

Another tour here in the United States? It was far too late and I really didn't want to check it right now. New York. I lived in New York. It's a big city isn't it? It's given that they'd come to New York for a day or two. I bit my lip and turned to my side as I stared at the wall next to my bed.

"I wish I could go..." I whispered as I thought about the time I'd ask my mother if I could buy an album.

"Ewwwww.... It's Kpop. Yuck." My brother commented as he interrupted our conversation. I shot him a glare as my mother did the same.

"Stop teasing your sister. As for Sera, I don't know about this. You don't know Korean and I don't see the point of buying music that you can't even understand. It's better if you don't get too obsessed with them." My mother said as she handed me the iPad back. I frowned at the thought of not being able to support my favorite group. "By the way, they're like girls. I don't want a daughter-in-law."

"Yeah, you hear that right?" My brother poked fun at me as I clenched my fist ready to diss him.

"She's telling you that you're forever alone you idiot. She said she doesn't want a daughter-in-law, not a son-in-law." My brother scowled at me as my father piped up.

"Sera, I'm going to have to agree with your mother. You're not Korean and you don't know what they're saying. So why bother?" My father questioned, taking a sip of water from his cup. I slumped my shoulders and turned away from them.

"Fine." I mumbled, dragging myself out of the room.

"Oh well..." I shook my head to get rid of the memory as my eyelids got heavier. I could hear my mother yelling at my brother to go to sleep and my father yelling at them to be quiet and that some of us are sleeping.

I smiled and snuggled into bed as I heard their voices. Everything was normal. They were all there. They were all arguing. And here I am, curled up and ready to sleep. Everything was completely normal and for some reason, it made me feel good.

 

But will everything...

 

stay normal...?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Second chapter, done! For those that are confused, what's happening is that Sera is So Li. This is her life currently. Why doesn't she seem to remember her past in the year 3024? The story will tell us later :P Sera's name is pronouced as 'Sarah'. xD And I haven't given her older brother a name yet because I want you guys to choose for me! Well, the idol and the name. So take this poll and feel free to message me about the idol you want or leave it in the comments below! ^^*