Back And Stronger

Protecting You, Killing Me

Another Month...

“Kim So Li, reporting in and ready for the day shift. What part of the city am I assigned to?” For the past few months, this was all I said when I met the higher up in the morning. Expecting him to direct to me a part of the city, he turned around to face me, looking grim.

“Report to the Shins’ meeting room.” I nodded and headed over, nervously making my way over to the room. It was a grand room with countless of chairs. Very elegant and sophisticated (more so because of the destruction the city has been under for quite a while). Yet, it seemed so lonely as it had never been filled completely with people, with every chair occupied.

“Come in.” I can hear his father’s voice and I push the door open. His father is seated and Dong Ho is seated nearby with a few others. “I’ll go and check up with Mr. Nam and see what else we can do. So Li, take a seat. The others will fill you in.” He stood up and left, heading down the halls as I took a seat near Dong Ho.

“What’s all this about?” I notice the hard expressions laid out on their faces, each one of them sending looks at each other.

“The recent attacks weren’t random after all. There’s a formation of a new group that’s threatening our power.” I blinked at him in surprise. A new group? How could a group just form so easily? As far as I knew, everybody was basically separated into groups. If they didn’t choose to live under Shin Group, they usually chose other groups. So where exactly did the people come from?

“Not only have they been attacking us, but they’ve managed to force a large number of groups on the outskirts of the city to surrender and work under them. They’re a difficult bunch.” An older male states. “Their policies are also seemingly drawing other groups in. Not only do the other groups fear of crossing paths with them, but they’re also drawn to the benefits the group is claiming to provide. In their minds, I see how it works. If you decide to simply surrender, you’ll get great benefits and save your own life. It’s a win-win for them.”

“Can’t we send them aid or anything?” I protest. “We have to do something to keep Shin Group from falling apart. If they can do, can’t we?”

“Not when we’ve had history with all the groups. Don’t forget, they feared us. They never made a move on us because they already knew the consequences of dealing with us. Now? They’re all teaming up- we can’t just simply offer aid. In our current conditions, every single man and woman here are overworked. We can’t afford to do anything either.” I sense Dong Ho’s frustrations as he buries his face into his hands.

“Then, we’ll have to make it work with what we have.” I say as if it wasn’t obvious enough. “If we can’t rely on others, then we can try fighting them off ourselves.”

“That’s where you come into play.” Dong Ho states and everyone in the room nods without hesitating. “You’re the ace of our team. Li, you have to focus more energy into learning to master your power. Your skill is important to us at this time. They aren’t doing anything to us now- in fact, if you’ve noticed, they’ve stopped attacking. Now they’re trying to get the other groups surrounding us. You have to be ready.”

“I- I will.” I stuttered, stunned by how mature he seemed. He was like a different person. He wasn’t the boy that would play with me when I was bored or teach me how to read. He wasn‘t the boy who whined about how tired he was after failing to learn the basic sword techniques.

“For now, let’s proceed with the normal patrols. Send more people around the outskirts to see if we can gather any information about the group.” The others in the room nod. “Dismissed.” They all scramble up and out the door, not wasting a moment and I stood up with them.

News spread quickly of the emerging group’s power.

 

 

Four Months Later...

“So Li, come with me.” The higher up instructed after I had reported what happened during my shift. Nodding, I followed him quietly, eyeing the black envelope he held in hand. We stopped at the office Dong Ho spent most of his time in. A few knocks. An answer. We both take a step into the room and the higher up placed the envelope in front of Dong Ho. “One of our officers found this.”

Opening the envelope, I watched as Dong Ho’s eyes moved across the page, his eyes clouded with confusion. Placing the piece of paper down on the desk, I hear a sigh escape his lips.

“A request to meet us. They want to meet us.” I too, was confused when I heard it. “In two days, they wish to meet us at the outskirts of Seoul. Northern part- I guess they’ve finally gained control over it. Our only hope left is in the Southern part.”

“A meeting for what? I don’t think you should attend it.” I suggest. “It could be a trap and we’d be walking right into it. What if they hurt you or your father to take over the city?”

“No, I have to attend it. They write they don’t have any intentions on fighting, which I will take their word for. I will show them trust in hopes that we at least get off on the right foot.” He says, determined. The both of us can only nod at his words. “Li, you’ll be coming for sure. Protection purposes and also as a way of reminding them, what we hold.”

So it was decided. I would be there.

 

 

By the time we arrived to the outskirts of Seoul (Northern part as they had requested), their men were pretty organized and equipped with swords and in a black uniform. Our men were in blue uniform and were equally as organized and equipped. We didn’t have nearly as much men as they did as we left some to keep a watchful eye on the other parts of the city to make sure they didn’t really have something plotted.

“Representative of Shin?” His father took a few steps forward as Dong Ho stayed put behind him, keeping a close eye on the other side. I stood off to the side, a bit too far from Dong Ho and his father. I didn’t like it, but he had specifically asked for me to do so. It would give me a clearer view of both sides if I stood off to the sides.

“Representative of Lee?” Nobody stepped up, causing his father to comment on it. “So you guys showed up without a representative, is that it? Or perhaps, your representative is too shy or inexperienced to lead a massive group.” His father was almost verbally attacking them. “After all, I heard your representative is a little too young to be leading a group. Perhaps the rumors were all a lie.” He was mocking them and I was on the edge. What if they attacked because he was disrespecting them?

Nobody from the other side bothered responding, staying completely silent and composed. They stayed still as the Shin Group shifted slightly, relaxing as they found the opponent to be nothing too dangerous.

Suddenly, the enemies split, each taking a step to the right or a step to left, leaving the middle of the group empty. They moved uniformly, causing me to grow worried at how united they were despite coming from several different groups. It was a mixing pot of many other groups and despite their differences, they were able to communicate with each other work together.

“Sorry for being late.” A figure was walking in the middle of the black mass of people and stopped when he was standing in front of Dong Ho’s father. “Representative of Lee, here.”

“Let’s get straight to the point here. Why did you request to meet us?” The Representative of Shin asked. It was hard for me to see as the entire Shin Group had shifted a step forward, blocking my view as a sign of defense.

“Straightforward. Just as I remembered.” The Representative of Lee laughed. “So be it. I want to obtain Seoul and not only that- the Book. If you would so kindly give the city and the Book to me, you won’t need to waste any more time with me.”

“Do you take me for a fool? To hand over a whole city and the Book to you? Shin Group has been the Main Group for decades and nearly a century now.”

“And now it’s time for Shin Group to retire, don’t you think?” I can sense the tension from both sides, Shin Group ready to fight at a single command. “Just look at your own men. They look like they could surely rest now.”

“Cocky, aren’t you? Young people like you don’t understand what the older generations have been through to get to their place. I’ve seen way more than you have and done way more, if you still wish to obtain the city and the Book, then you may try.” I could hear the Representative of Shin’s voice, loud and brave. “Let me remind me you, Shin Group is not a group you can take lightly. You should know better especially since you’ve had history with us.”As that was said, the Shin Group began to shift and turn around to head back to the center of the city as the Lee Group stayed in place.

“I’ll make sure that the Lee Group- will leave a mark in history.” With that being said, they too, turned around with each side making a declaration of war. Everyone was moving away from their enemies, mentally bracing themselves for what was to happen in the next few days.

I took a glance behind to see if the Lee Group was really leaving the meeting like this. They were and I couldn’t help but notice a male that was clothed different amongst the group. The same male that stood out as the representative and as the founder. He seemed to be relaxed as he turned his head slight so I could see half of his face and that was just enough for me.

I found myself fully turned in his direction gaping at him and I watched as his lips curved into a smile. With a flick of his wrist, something flew in my direction and I caught the thin and fragile object. A paper airplane.

Unraveling it, I saw a few characters.

I’m back and stronger.

He had disappeared when I looked up.

Lee Jun Young.

 

 

A/N: So back with yet another chapter! Man, I'm kind of tired writing about their past. I was kind of inspired to, but after a while that kind of inspiration died off, but no worries! There will be just one more chapter pertaining the past and then it'll be back to the present! What do you guys think about their past so far? Is it confusing or is it cliche? Leave a comment below :)