I Will Leave

The Sound of the Fallen Leaves

Min Jung

“There’ll be a camping trip.” Jae Hee’s eyes brightened and her head snapped in my direction and I shook my head no. I wasn’t interested in camping at all and more so because the trip would most likely be expensive. I couldn’t afford to waste over hundreds of dollars on a trip that lasted for a few days. Count me out.

“Please?” Jae Hee pouted and gave me her puppy eyes. I could feel a few eyes land on us. After all, many guys liked Jae Hee, he certainly wasn’t the first guy ever to like her. “You didn’t go with me last year. Besides, my parents would never let me go without a friend.”                           

“You have lots of friends.” I told her, not letting the look get to me. “Besides, you know I’m not too fond about overnight trips. It isn’t even educational and I see no purpose in going.”     

“But it’s fun. To live without having your parents keep a watchful eye on you for a few days!” I winced as she mentioned parents. I knew how strict her parents were and how they cared about her every little action, but I would never get to experience such care. My parents were simply too busy with their own things, such as trying to live. I wanted to have fun, but it was nearly impossible. Whoever said money couldn’t buy happiness- I would beg to differ.

“Fun isn’t for me, Jae Hee.” I said jokingly. “Besides, this is a camping trip. I doubt your parents would let you go even if I went. They care too much about you to let you stay in such an environment for a few days.”

“I just want you to have a bit of fun, Min Jung. You seem to always be coped up in a corner somewhere studying. There’s more to life than studying. Like dancing and music.” Jae Hee began to trail off topic, talking about her last music and ballet lesson. It was nice to know that Jae Hee cared enough about me to try and convince me into going on the camping trip despite knowing she wouldn’t be going.

“That’s nice to hear.” I responded as she finished talking about her ballet lesson. We were in the middle of class and I was missing out on notes. Even though I knew the topic well enough already, it was still nice to get some review. Class ended rather quickly and I found myself moving from class to class, hearing everyone talk about the trip. Keeping silent, the school day ended rather quickly and I scrambled up and out of the doorway.

Walking to the cafe, I found myself walking about the streets in a daze. My eyes were glued to the floor as I reflected on my life. Why exactly was I working so hard? Why did I need to work so hard? It all came down to I was at a disadvantage. I needed to work harder to get to the same level the others around me had.

I stopped when my eyes landed a perfect leaf on the ground and I was going to bend down and pick it up when a shoe landed on it. Great. With a defeated sigh, I looked up to see Hoon standing next to me.

“What are you doing here?” I questioned, moving on quickly. “The last time I checked, it isn’t even four a.m.”

“Well, the last time I checked, I let you sleep in this morning.” He shrugged as he stuffed his hands into his pockets. Remembering the position I was in before I noticed him, he continue. “What were you trying to do before anyways?”

“Nothing.” I answered. “Besides, I have something else to tend to right now. I can’t help you with anything today.”

“I could use a cup of coffee.” I immediately shot a glare over to him and he stared back at me with his brown eyes, not seeming to get my message, but I knew he did. Heck, he was the smartest on the campus.  “Come on, let’s go. I don’t want you to blame me later when you’re late to work.” He yanked at a strap on my backpack, pulling me down the street.

Grumbling, I reluctantly allowed myself to be pulled and when we arrived to the cafe, Sooyoung had a huge smile plastered on her face as she motioned for me to go towards her. Hoon let go of my backpack strap and I headed over to Sooyoung who was standing besides a small girl, eating a strawberry tart while trying to color in pictures.

“Min Jung, I’d like you to meet my granddaughter, Cho Hee!” The little girl looked up upon hearing her name and her eyes curved to each look like a crescent moon. Cheerfully waving at me, I sent her a small smile and waved back as Sooyoung looked at the little girl affectionately.

“Hi Cho Hee.” I managed to say as Sooyoung pulled me aside and quickly questioned me.

“What do you think of my granddaughter?”

“Um- she seems nice.”

“Great, so can you help me watch over her for the next couple of weeks?” I was stunned by how fast the conversation went and how it all led to this. “I’m sorry if it’s a trouble but someone came in and talked to me about opening a store of their own using the name of this cafe. It seems as though we can make this into a franchise! It’ll only be for a few weeks.”

“Sure?” I responded as Sooyoung broke out into a smile and pulled me into a hug, patting my back.

“Thank you, Min Jung! After today, you don’t have to work in the cafe for a few weeks. I just need you to take care of Cho Hee.” Sooyoung continues. “I don’t need you overworking yourself, after all, I do understand that you’re a college student and at your last year of under grad at that! I’m sure you’re busy applying for grad colleges now too.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.” Before I could even begin my statement to persuade her that I was fine with working at the cafe, Sooyoung stopped me.

“You don’t worry about anything here, okay? I just need you to watch Cho Hee when you get out from classes. That’s all I’ll be asking you to do. I better not see you here at the cafe unless you’re a customer or Cho Hee wishes to eat something here, got it?” I let out a small chuckle, knowing how Sooyoung was.

“Got it.” It was pointless to argue with her anyways. Because she was older than I was, I tended to respect her decisions. After all, Sooyoung wasn’t the type to be rash. Shooing me off to get to know her granddaughter, I left.

Heading over to Cho Hee and taking the seat next to her, I smiled at the little girl who smiled back up at me. I could feel Hoon’s eyes burning a hole into the back of my head, but I chose to ignore it and decided to strike up a conversation with the little girl. Mind you, I’m not too good with kids.

“So, Cho Hee... how old are you?” Holding up five fingers, she beamed at me.

“Six.” With a tiny smile gracing my lips, I took her other hand and uncurled a finger so it read six.

“So you’re in first grade?” She nods and continues to scribble the cartoons with crayons. It was semi- awkward. I was sitting next to Cho Hee, not sure of what to do next. What else was I supposed to ask a child that wasn’t even half my age? Though I was relieved to be watching over a child rather than a teen.

I felt something shift besides me and I turned to see Hoon taking a seat next to me, eyeing Cho Hee with suspicion as he looked back and forth, between me and Cho Hee.

“We’re not related.” I state before he can speak and he rolls his eyes.

“Obviously. I’m not that stupid. After being in your apartment a couple of times, I would’ve known by now.” He scoffs. “Besides if you guys were, I would wonder why you ended up like,” he scans my body before meeting my eyes. “this.”

“Is there a reason why you’re sitting next to me when you could be sitting all the way across the cafe?” I blurt out, annoyed by his presence. I didn’t want to start hitting him in front of Cho Hee. I didn’t want to be a bad influence.

“Is there a reason why I should?” He raises an eyebrow at me.

“For one, you find me embarrassing. For two, we aren’t friends. For three, I find you annoying.” I list out three reasons and then cross my arms as he smirks at me. Gosh, at times like this- his smirk was just so aggravating.

“I never said you were embarrassing. Besides, we don’t have to be friends to sit next to each other. Being annoying is my specialty.” It was my turn to scoff.

“You implied it when you emphasized, ‘this’.”

“It doesn’t necessarily mean embarrassing.” For a moment there, I thought he would take his words back and replace it with sweet and charming words. “It could mean disgusting, ugly, etc.” Scratch that completely. What a jerk. If Jae Hee really decided to date him (I hope not), I would feel incredibly sorry for her.

“Right. Are you going to buy anything? If not, I suggest leaving.” I scowl. “If you’re going to use the lesson as an excuse to stay, let me tell you right now, insults aren’t going to make any girl fall for you.”

“Right.” He’s being sarcastic with me now. “Says the person without any experience in love. I’m sure no one would go out with you just as you are either.” He states and I’m at the brink of kicking him out, but of course I was in position to as this was Sooyoung’s cafe.

“Then why are you even asking me for help in the first place? Instead of trying to find out more about her from me, why don’t you just ask one of your friends how they get a girl.” I snap and his gaze turns hard and cold. “I don’t have any experience and you’re right about that. I’m fed up with you!”

“Because you have no choice.” His voice is as cold as his eyes and Cho Hee looks up for a moment to catch the cold look in his eyes and cowers a little, tugging at my arm.

“Unnie, he looks scary.” Hoon is surprised by her statement, but looks like he’s ready to scowl at her, when I stop him.

“Bother me some other time. Right now isn’t the right time.” Hoon doesn’t budge, but instead holds his hands out, causing me to question him. “What?”

“Give me your apartment keys.”

“Are you crazy?” I ask in disbelief. “Do you seriously think I’ll give you my apartment keys? Especially after you’ve spent five minutes insulting me?” He holds up his phone and shakes it in front of me.

“Just give it to me. It’s not like you have anything worth stealing inside the house of yours.” He reasons and I glare him, looking through my backpack for the keys. “I need a place to stay until one again.”

“Seriously, there’s nothing to do in my apartment. Why can’t you just go to a park or something?” I complain as I reluctantly hand him my keys. “I don’t even have a TV there.”

“If it isn’t obvious enough, I just need a place that I could stay in for a solid seven hours at least.” He takes my keys and stand up. “Don’t worry, I’ll leave the door open for you.”

“Wait- don’t you dare go inside of my room!” I call after him and he sends me an ‘okay’ sign without turning around. I notice Cho Hee staring at me. “Do you need something Cho Hee?”

“Do you know my mother’s birthday is coming soon?” She questions and I fake interest by smiling at her and faking my surprise.

“Really? When is it?”

“After my father’s birthday.” That doesn’t answer my question, but at least we were having a conversation.

“When is your father’s birthday?” She beams at that question.

“After my birthday!” My eye twitches as I try to hold in my laughter. It was odd. What an odd way to think of things. “When is your birthday?” She questioned.

“After my si- father’s birthday.” I teasingly replied, getting caught in the middle. I should’ve forgotten by now, but I couldn’t. Cho Hee took my answer and turned back to her drawing, oblivious to the change in the atmosphere. With a heavy sigh, I leaned back against my chair.

 

 

 

It was nine o’ clock when Sooyoung closed the cafe up and took Cho Hee with her. I waved them off and walked in the direction of the apartment building. Upon remembering that Hoon was in my apartment, I broke out into a sprint. I was stopped by Kang Dae who questioned me about Hoon and asked why he was in my apartment.

I reassured him and told him he was just a friend and Kang Dae nodded, telling me that if anything bad were to happen to let him know first. Thanking Kang Dae for taking notice and worrying about me, I wished him a good night and began to walk towards my apartment. Once I got there, I pushed the door open to see that Hoon wasn’t in the living room.

“He better be in the bathroom and not my room.” I muttered as I dropped my backpack off onto the floor with a loud thud and headed towards my room. My suspicion proved to be correct as he was lying on my bed, with his phone out, seeming to be texting someone.

“Oh hey. You’re back.” The casual tone of his voice ticked me off as he continued to lounge on my bed as if I hadn’t told him to not enter my room.

“What did I say about coming into my room?” My eyes immediately dart over to the box in the corner of my room and it looked fine. Fine as in it hadn’t been touched.

“Not to come in.” He answers and I cross my arms. Before I can lecture him, he drops his phone onto my bed and looks at me. “Are you planning on going to the camping trip?”

“No. Now get off my bed.” I answer as he ignores my request. Knowing how stubborn he is, I decide not to repeat myself and instead, to accept defeat. At least he hasn’t touched the box and he wasn’t going to for as long as I was here.

“Is it a money problem?” He questions.

“You don’t say. I live here because I’m super rich and I work part time for the fun of it.” I answer with sarcasm. “It’s also because of Cho Hee. I already agreed to help Sooyoung watch over her granddaughter after school for the next few weeks. The camping trip is a month from now.” He was oddly silent and looked around my room.

“I’ve noticed you don’t have any family pictures here.” He comments.

Because you’re here. I don’t want you to be digging more than you should be.

“So? I’ve noticed you don’t like going home and instead like to crash other peoples’ homes.” I refute and he goes silent.

“I’m more of an explorer I guess.” I can tell there’s something off with his statement, but just like I don’t want him digging into my past and my life, I don’t say anything about it. “You’re not an orphan are you?”

“It may seem like I am, but I’m not.” I answer honestly, hoping that this answer would satisfy his curiosity.

“So, you have parents?” It was awkward for him to question me and I could feel it.

“Obviously.”

“Siblings?” I hesitated to catch myself before a made a mistake.

“I have none.”

“Bummer, but I suppose it’s better without one.” He comments and he notices my questioning look. “I have an older brother.” He adds and I nod.

“Anyways, I need to start write essays for college applications.” I turn my back to him and take out a few pieces of loose leaf papers and begin to write, not essays but outlines for them. I didn’t want to continue the conversation and by the looks of it, Hoon should’ve caught on.

We stay like this for a few hours. I turn around from time to time to see Hoon staring off into blank space. By the time, it becomes one in the morning, Hoon has fallen asleep on my bed. Yet, the guy called my bed uncomfortable. I scoffed and pulled my blanket over him to keep him warm as I moved towards the box in the corner of my room.

It was a box filled with the memories I wanted to hide. From other people.

 

Hoon

I woke up at three in the morning. Min Jung was hunched over her desk, sleeping and here I was, sleeping on her bed. I had taken away her comfort, not that the bed was that comfortable anyways. I could definitely get used to it though.

With quiet steps, I managed to get off the bed and to her bedroom door silently before realizing I should probably throw a blanket over her to keep her warm. Taking her blanket and placing it over her, I took my blazer off and rolled it up to resemble a pillow and lifted her head slight to put her head onto the makeshift pillow.

Turning away and walking over to the door again, I noticed the box in the corner and remembered how I had managed to open it and catch a glimpse of a picture. I wanted to see more of the picture, so I quietly snuck over to the box and opened it again. I took my phone out and snapped a photo of the picture and then placed the picture back into the box before hearing a few murmurs from Min Jung and getting a bit startled.

It wasn’t right for me to care about her business. It would be stupid of me to. For some reason however, I wanted to know. Something just wasn’t adding up.

I made it home with Mr. Hong’s help and I quietly made my way around the house. The living room had bottles of soju spread out all over the floor, empty. I made it up the stairs and I absolutely despised having my room at the farthest end of the hallway as I had to make my way past my parents’ room first.

As I did so, I noticed my mother hunched over her table, a shot glass in hand. My mother used to be beautiful. She used to be. She was a mess now. A mess I couldn’t bear to look at. My heart was throbbing in pain, but I ignored it and headed off to my room to wash up and change my clothes. I would sleep in the car as Mr. Hong drove me to the campus today. I hated sleeping at home.

I wanted to leave.

I will leave.

 

 

A/N: Any guesses to what's happening with Hoon and Min Jung? xD This isn't my best chapter, so I apologize. Just wanted to get an update out there. >.< Anyhow, enjoy and please comment! It motivates me :)