Mysterious Girl

The Sound of the Fallen Leaves

Hoon

I found myself in a daze for the next few days, not bothering to pay attention to what the teachers had to say. Not that I listened to them before as my grades were nearly perfect already. I feel as if the teachers are there just because schools need teachers. In my opinion, this school doesn't. It's evenly divided into two groups.

The first group has hard working scholars with perfect grades- if not, near perfect grades. The other group was a rather disappointing group of students who idled about the school halls and only bother to attend one or two classes. In this school, there's no phone calls home. No emails either. And most definitely no letters regarding the absence or tardiness of a student. Why? 

We basically own this school.

This campus to be exact. This campus is filled with students who have the money. It seems as if it's the only thing the second group has. Meanwhile people like me, are often regarded as perfect. 

And perfect is the word I would use to describe her.

Baek Jae Hee.

The girl who had managed to find her way to my heart with a simple sentence a piece of- horrible but interesting candy. Her rank in the campus is pretty high as well. She was in the top thirty and it was pretty good. Though it was nowhere close to where I stood, she seemed pretty smart. My thoughts of her were short lived as AJ came thundering into the room, causing me to glare at him.

"You seem to be in deep thought." AJ smirked, falling back on his sofa. "Are you still thinking about that girl? What was her name again? Baek Jae Hwa?"

"Baek Jae Hee, you idiot. I'm still sitting here wondering how you already got accepted to Columbia. Do they even look past the fact that you have money?" I relaxed myself as I threw a cushion at AJ as he caught it with a mischievous smile.

"If that's so, you would've gotten accepted before me don't you think? You're the one with real cash." He chuckled, throwing his cushion aside. "And watch who you're insulting. You're insulting this guy who did you a favor. The coolest guy on Earth helped you. So be thankful peasant." 

Ignoring his jokes, I sat up and faced him. "And so what has the coolest guy on Earth found out? That he needs to stop being such an idiot and actually start talking about something that makes sense?" I mocked him, caring less and less about his feelings as time went by. Honestly, he just never knew when to stop joking. 

"Alright." He grumbled, sitting up on the sofa. "You have no sense of humor."

"Says the only guy in this world that thinks his jokes are actually funny. Cut to the chase. I want to know." With that, AJ dropped his smirk and leaned forward, hesitating.

"You see..." AJ rubbed the palm of his hands together. "Jae Hee has a friend named Park Min Jung. It's actually quite odd-"

"I don't want to know anything about her friend." I said, getting impatient with all the nonsense and useless information he was giving me. "Min Hee- Min Kyung, I don't care. I just want to know about Jae Hee."

"Alright!" AJ growled at me. "However, Min Jung does play a pretty crucial role in my investigation. She's the only link to Jae Hee in this school. Literally. Jae Hee doesn't do much but go to school and go home. I have yet to see her hang out with other friends. She does go to the events my father hosts, but that's only from time to time. Not to mention, she rarely speaks to anyone there. She sticks by her family at all times. Kinda hard for me to approach her and keep her parents from thinking I want to hit on their daughter."

"So you're basically telling me that for the past few days you haven't found anything out about her?" I closed my eyes in frustration, holding back a sigh. 

"Exactly. Which is why we need Min Jung. Min Jung seems to be her one and only friend as I've heard that her parents restrict her from making any more friends. It seems that the Baek Family are afraid of incidents that may tarnish their reputation. Not to mention, I can tell that her parents really love her. I see the way they treat her at parties. They baby her. Ugh," AJ shuddered from the memory of it. "She seems like the type that's been spoilt for so long; she'd get mad if things didn't go her way."

"I thought you said you didn't know her that well. Not to mention, you've mentioned how quiet she is. She hasn't even talked to you and yet you make such an assumption about her." I criticized him, letting my shoulders slump down a bit. She was a mysterious girl alright. Just as mysterious as she'd been a few years back. When we met at the library. Wordlessly leaving without giving me a chance to thank her.

"Alright, I'll give it to you. She doesn't seem spoilt." AJ's eyes twinkled with happiness from my response. "I was just testing you. She seems pretty important, so I might as well tell you something as well. Her friend, Min Jung- will be the only way you can get closer to her. So I'd suggest starting with her."

"Alright, tell me about her friend then." AJ handed me a picture of the two of them sitting next to each other in the courtyard.

"Well- for starters, you've seen how mysterious Jae Hee seems. It seems as though her friend, Min Jung is even more mysterious." I raised an eyebrow and stared at the picture.

"How mysterious can she be?" I scoffed, throwing the picture onto the coffee table. AJ smirked and shrugged.

"Mysterious enough for me to know almost nothing about her. Besides her name, age, and other stuff that you could tell from looking at her, I know nothing pertaining her." AJ frowned and leaned back on the sofa, folding his arms together. "I couldn't even find out where she lived. The people I sent to follow her lost her within a minute. I followed her myself and I lost her after a couple of minutes as well. And to be honest, I've never heard or even seen her at any of the dinner parties and events I've been to."

"So, you've never seen her parents or even know what kind of business she's supposed to inherit?" I was growing anxious and frustrated. Why was getting close to Jae Hee so hard? As if she wasn't hard enough to get to already, her friend was equally as hard- if not, harder. 

"Sorry to break it to you, yeah. In my theory, I don't think she's the oldest in her family. It could be possible that her family only dotes on the eldest. Or she could have a younger brother." AJ shrugged. "It doesn't seem like her family likes her too much considering the fact that I've never seen her being picked up for the past few days."

My eyebrows knit together and I stand up abruptly, grabbing the picture off the table. AJ sends me a bewildered look as I head for the front door of his condo.

"Where are you going?"

"To find her." I reply, twisting the door knob as his voice calls out to me again.

"Please, bribing her people to tell me a little more about her didn't work. Money doesn't work on them." AJ scoffs as I roll my eyes.

"I'm not talking about Jae Hee." I turn to look at him, sliding my hands into the pockets of my pants. "I'm talking about her friend. If you think about it- she seems to be an easy target."

"Ha," AJ scoffed. "I beg to differ. But if you insist, you can try to find her-" AJ tosses a glance at his silver watch and smirks. "Right now- at five in the afternoon. All classes are over. And as for clubs, she doesn't seem to be involved in any. She leaves the campus at three- exactly at three. There's no way you'd find her right now." My lips curve into a smirk.

"You seem to underestimate me." 

And with that, I left his condo.

 

Min Jung

Quietly moving down the halls of the main building, I stifled a yawn. Everywhere around me, conversations were being held. The latest party, the hottest seniors, the newest trends, and of course there were conversations about Hoon, AJ, and their friends. Without Jae Hee, I would've been a wallflower. Not that I minded, but being a wallflower sounded pretty good. Without anybody snooping into my family background and announcing it to the world.

The very last thing I needed was to be bullied. I had managed to survive three years in this so-called prestigious college. If I'm correct, things should run as smoothly as it did the past three years. After all, I managed to blend in and keep my interactions to the bare minimum- especially when it came to Jae Hee.

I knew more about her than she knew about me. Every time I became the subject of our conversations I'd simply change the topic with something of her interest. Maybe how her weekend went. That always helps.

My train of thought for the upcoming Calc test was lost as I bumped into someone. My backpack- which was slung over only one of my shoulders (due to pure laziness) fell onto the floor, attracting a bit of attention from bystanders. The boy apologized and picked up my backpack, dusting it off as I picked up the books I'd drop on the floor.

Instead of making a big deal out of it like many of these kids would've, I took my bag from him saying that it was okay. As I walked away from the boy I couldn't help but look back. There was something unsettling about the bump. Biting my lip and ignoring it, I headed out of the building and did my usual routine.

I'd walk onto a crowded street and then make an attempt to hang out at a library or book store for a bit- since I had a bit of time here and there. Not to mention, I needed to print a couple of essays for homework anyhow. Might as well. I was also suspicious of anyone that could be following me.

Lately, I've felt uncomfortable. Like I was being watched. As people, we can tell whether or not if there's someone that's staring or even looking at us. Even if the other denies it, we can tell. 

Today was different. I didn't get that same uncomfortable vibe as I've been getting for the past few days. Relaxing, I closed the book I'd picked up at stared at. I shot a glance at my watch and sighed.

I have to go.

 

 

It wasn't long before I found myself watching Kibum leave. If there was anything I disliked, it would be watching people leave. It- it makes me think they're never coming back. And with a history like mine- it wouldn't be hard to believe that I have trust issues.

"I guess this is it." Kibum sighed and shoved his hands into his thin sweater pocket. He forced a smile onto his face as he looked at us. Starting from Alexander all the way to me. Alexander, Soohyun, Dong Ho, and I stood in a clustered lump, waiting for his train to come. Our good byes were sent to Kibum as he gave us each a hug, making my hug deliberately longer. 

"Min Jung, I think I might miss you the most of all." He whispered, hugging me a bit tighter even though he knew we were being watched by the three idiots he thinks of as friends. I pull away from the hug once I feel a gust of wind coming from the incoming train. 

His train.

"I'll miss you too." I murmur back in response. Kibum sends me a smile and ruffles my hair before instructing his friends to take good care of themselves- including me.

"You better take good care of Min Jung too. I'd fly back over here and beat you guys senseless if you don't." Kibum warned as Alexander rolled his eyes.

"You don't even have to tell us. We'd take care of your girlfriend either way." Resisting the urge to elbow Alexander in the stomach, I shot him a murderous look as he coughed. "You better take care of yourself too. I know this isn't exactly the way you planned to do things, but once you come back- the four of us will be here to help you."

"No promises." Kibum muttered, his knuckles turning white from his harsh grip on his luggage. "I have a feeling I'll be very tired."

"Come on." Soohyun piped in. "If worst comes to worst, Dong Ho and I could always house you at our place. You can come back to Seoul and stay with us. You haven't even started and you already want to give up?"

"You know nothing." Kibum growled and then relaxed his tense muscles. Clearing his throat and using a lighter tone, he continued. "This isn't the life I want. Once I come back- I could be totally different."

Scoffing, I hit the top of his head lightly (seeing as I wasn't tall enough to hit the top of his head). "You think anyone in the world wants their type of life? Just it up and come back soon like you promised. Even if you change, these three idiots and I won't judge you. At least we won't be harsh when judging you." Kibum stood frozen for a bit as the train came to a stop. 

Saying our good byes again, Kibum pulled me in for another hug leaving me no time to react. Leaving a light kiss on my forehead, he rushed onto the train, afraid of the following consequences.

"I'll kill him once he gets back." I frowned, touching my forehead. The three behind me kept snickering and poking me as the train left the station and I had to slap them all before they'd stop.

"He'll come back pretty soon." Dong Ho commented. "Kibum hyung doesn't seem like the type to last at such a place." Xander shot Dong Ho an irritated look, mimicking a mother.

"Anyways," Xander turned back to me. "We made a promise to Kibum to take care of you. So I guess we'll walk you home." I shook my head and politely declined despite my sour mood from the teasing. It took ten minutes to convince them that I was fine with walking by myself, thanks to Kibum.

Little did I know, I should've been careful walking home. If only I'd been careful.

 

 

 

A/N: Chapter Four, completed! I actually didn't plan this out, but this chapter was sort of a filler chapter. I got some things moving here. :p But otherwise, this was pretty much a filler. Don't know what else to say; besides enjoy!