Coffee

The Sound of the Fallen Leaves

Min Jung

“She was an angel.” I fibbed as I handed sleepy Cho Hee over to Sooyoung. Sooyoung smiled, thanking me once again before leaving with Cho Hee in her arms. Sighing out  of relief, I notice how I’m still left with another child in my hands.

“Get me a cup of coffee, will you?” He mumbles as he turns over on my bed, yawning. I can’t help but shoot him a glare as I cross my arms.

“Geez, I just finished taking care of one kid and now I have to take care of another?” I complain, as his eyes leave his phone and looks over at my direction, I straighten myself up and turn away as if nothing has happened.

“I’m not about to get engaged with another pointless argument with you.” He states. “Get me a cup of coffee. There should be a coffee shop around here.”

“Says the person who started the pointless argument. Seriously, how does leaving her at a playground keep her silent?” I shoot back at him.

“Well for one, we wouldn’t have to be within earshot hearing the ruckus she was making. Honestly, kids make too much noise.” He wasn’t a kid person, I could tell. Neither was I really, but Sooyoung was a really nice person. What would that make me if I wasn’t able to do a favor for her?

“She was well-behaved before you came. If anything, you’re a bad influence to her.” I cross my arms and stare at him. “If you want some coffee, give me some money.”

“You’re so petty. Can’t you spare just even a few dollars?” He mutters as he sits up to pull his wallet out of his hand. “Here take this.” He hands me a silver credit card and I stare at him in disbelief.

“Are you seriously giving me a credit card right now?” I gape at the card, letting my fingers run over the smooth side of the card. It was my first time holding one after all. “Can’t you just give me cash instead?” I question, handing the card back to him. He gives me a look.

“Does it look like I’d carry a few measly dollars with me when I can carry thousands with just a single card?” He runs his fingers through his hair. “Just go get me a cup of coffee before I pass out in-,” he looks around the room. “Here.”

“Feel free to leave and pass out anywhere else you’d like,” I say in a clipped tone. “I’ll be back in te minutes.”

“Make that five.” I am by my bedroom door when I spin around and face him, shooting him a look.

“Not everyone has a car or a bike to transport you know. Besides, the time to get to the nearest coffee shop takes at least three minutes. Plus the wait time for your coffee, plus the time coming back.” I protest and he doesn’t say anything but stare down at his phone, pulling out a timer.

“You have five minutes.” He repeats. “Before your picture goes viral.” I give his a glare as he starts the timer and I bolt out the door (angry of course, but more annoyed).

I make it back in about ten minutes (like I’d predicted), hoping for the best. That wouldn’t have sent out the picture merely because I was a bit too slow would he? Besides, I had his credit card. If he did, I could bolt out my door and quickly buy a train ticket back to Daegu with his card right?

I close my apartment door and head over to my bedroom to give him his cup of coffee. To my surprise, I’m not greeted with his voice stating how many minutes late I was. Instead, I was greeted by his silent figure, just laying on my bed with his eyes closed and his arms crossed.

“And yet he claims my bed isn’t comfortable.” I snort. I place the cup of coffee onto my desk and his credit card. Grabbing my scrunched up blanket at the end of my bed, I throw it over him. With his phone laying just next to him, I grab it and place it on my desk as well, not wanting the radiation to get to him (though I’ll admit that I did check to see if he put a password on his phone and he did).

Sitting at my desk, I realize I still have an essay to finish. Groaning, I press the home button on his phone to see that it was a little past midnight.

Great.

 

 

My eyes open slowly and I blink quickly, trying to get the sleepiness off of me. My movements were rather slow as I stood up and stretched, staring down at my completed essay before yawning. I spot the cup of coffee and blink. I turn around to look at him to realize he wasn’t there.

“Why’d he tell me to buy him a cup of coffee he wasn’t going to drink it anyways?” I mumur. “Seriously, I don’t have all the time in the world and to think about it! A cup of coffee gone to waste.” I pack away my essay and pick the cup of coffee up to spill it out. To my surprise, the coffee was warm. I take a look at the window to see the sunlight streaming through and then at the clock hanging in my living room.

It was six in the morning.

“Did he by any chance buy this for me?” I glance down at the cup. Maybe he wasn’t too bad anymore. No- wait what? Shaking my head to get rid of the warm feeling that filled me just a moment ago, I place the cup of coffee back down on the table and hurry into the bathroom to get ready for class.

 

 

Hoon

The front door to the house opens and I walk past Mrs. Lee, heading towards the stairs. After a mere five steps I am greeted by the familiar smell of alcohol. I hear someone shuffling down the halls as the smell of alcohol gets stronger. I stop as I stand by the living room door and I peer into the living room for a mere moment, though I already knew what I’d see.

“Sleeping out again?” A raspy voice reminds me there’s someone else besides me in this home. Yet, it always feels lonely. “Was it with your best pals, or perhaps the girl?” I shove my hands into the pockets of my pants.

“It shouldn’t concern you.” My words are harsh, but knowing me all my life, he had become accustomed to it. “Please bring my mother up the stairs. Tell Mrs. Lee to clean up the mess. You know what to do, Mr. Hong.”

“I understand. Just wash up and leave everything to me.” He gives me a pat on the shoulder and enters towards the living room. I head up the stairs after looking at my sleeping mother one last time.

I wash up relatively quickly and I catch Mr. Hong leaving my mother’s room.

“Oh, Hoon Min- it must be my age. I forgot to tell you earlier. Your father intends to have some guest over. Apparently old friends of his.”

“Over?” The last time my father invited anyone over was at least two years ago. Before their house ended up like-.

“Yes. You know him. He likes to brag in front of his friends and such. With such a beautiful home, you don’t think he’d pass over an opportunity like this, did you?” Mr. Hong chuckles. While the others were careful with their words, Mr. Hong was different. If there was something he didn’t like, he was blunt and straightforward. He also had an amusing way of saying such as well. “He wants you home tonight, but of course I can cover for you if you’d like.”

“That’d be great.” I move down the stairs and Mr. Hong follows. “You don’t have to drive me to class today. Take a break before my mom wakes up and my father gets back. Be sure to have Mrs. Lee prepare hangover soup and a nice dress for my mom tonight. I don’t want my father exploding later.”

“Alright, alright. Geez, I know what to do.” Mr. Hong huffs as he sees me out. “Your father should be done by twelve. If not, I’ll call you to let you know. The safest thing to do is crash at a friend’s place.  Jaeseop maybe.”

“I’ll take care of it myself. Just watch out for my mother tonight.” Mr. Hong shoots me a look.

“How many times do you have to tell me that?” He complains, coughing a little as he spoke. “I’m old to the point where I’d forget the things you tell me.”

 

 

As I started the car and drove off, I found myself driving to a particular place and before long, I found myself stopping.

“What are you doing here?” She questions as I pull up next to her and rolled down my window. Crossing her arms, I stared at her.

“I was just driving by.”

“You live on the other side.”

“Your point?”

“You’re imposssible.”

“Prove that you aren’t a hypocrite and get into my car.”

“And how does that prove I’m not a hypocrite?”

“Well, if you get in- it proves your not impossible yourself. Hurry or we’ll both be late.” I tap my watch.

“I’ll take the bus thank you. Who knows what I’ll have to do to repay you?”

“Hypocrite.” I call out as she walks away. She turns and glares at me momentarily and then turns back and continues walking to the nearest bus stop. I drive slowly, following her. I see her toss a ew annoyed glances at me as she boarded the bus and it most certainly didn’t stop when I drove right next to the bus purposely.

“Are you done annoying me yet?” She huffs, making her way towards me as soon as she got off the bus.

“Not yet.” I shrug. “I’m crashing your place tonight.”

“Don’t talk about that here!” She hissed. “Besides, it’s not like you need my permission either.” She turns and walks in the direction of the campus.

“I wasn’t asking for your permission if you didn’t notice. Just like you said, I don’t need your permission.” I attempt to be playful, but my words become monotoned. My usual stone-like personality is just so stubborn that my voice is unable to portray how playful I feel.

“Yes, aren’t you some prince?” She mutters. “Prancing around like you own the world- oh wait, you can very literally buy it can’t you? Anyways, class starts in ten minutes, I would hurry if I were you.”

 

 

“Hoon Min, are you sure about this? As far as I know this student hasn’t-.”

“Mr. Kim, I don’t plan on changing my mind any time soon.” I pushed the envelope back towards him. “Just make sure it happens.”

“Yes, of course. If the top student here requests so, how can I refuse?” The principal smiled back at me and tucked the envelope away in his drawer and nods. “I am a bit curious about your motive though.”

“It’s nothing interesting really. I have class in five minutes by the way, Mr. Kim. Let’s talk some other time.”

“Alright. I don’t want to waste your precious time after all."

 

 

A/N: I haven't updated this story for months... Wow o.o Time passes by so quickly, but here we are with another update! Thank you for your patience (I actually finished this short chapter a while ago... but never posted it as I was too distracted by something >.>). Enjoy!