017

Fate Often Mistook

He is not coming.

 

Of course he won’t, Kim Taehyung. Why would you wait?

 

The night’s sky was dark, too dark that there wasn’t even any star left, yet it was so empty to stare at. Taehyung looked away from the window, closed the balcony’s door with his curtain and then he sighed.

He had been waiting for Jung Ho- a friend to celebrate his birthday together, and that friend didn’t come. He must be enjoying his date a lot, right? Taehyung mentally thought and he bit his lip.

Right now, Hoseok was in a date with Jihye, his loved one. They must be so happy, Taehyung thought. Realizing that fact that Hoseok and Jihye were happy with each other just made he bit his lip and sighed deeply.

 Taehyung slowly crawled to the side of his bed, and then he leaned his head on it.

And his brain slowly brought him back to a memory, exactly six years ago.

 

“Kim Taehyung!!! Taehyung!!!”

Taehyung who was reading comic on his bed immediately jumped to his balcony to see the one who yelled his name from out there, and little Jung Hoseok and his mom were standing there.

Hoseok’s mom seemed to be making his son a little quiet and scolding him not to yell like that, but Hoseok just waved his hand at Taehyung who was standing at the second floor’s balcony. Taehyung smiled widely and waved back at Hoseok.

Today was Taehyung’s birthday, his ninth to be specified. His house did no celebration, but he was sure that tomorrow, when school started, his friends would congratulate him. Even though he thought like that, right at the evening of his birthday, his friend yet his neighbor named Jung Hoseok had visited him.

Taehyung’s smile grew wider. He quickly ran back to his room, closed his curtain and sat down the floor to wait for Hoseok.

Just like what he expected, Hoseok ran to his room and opened the door. Taehyung grinned, and Hoseok smiled back. Hoseok immediately rushed to sit in front of Taehyung, and he said, “Happy birthday!”

Taehyung nodded still with the grin on his face. Hoseok chuckled, he slowly d his pocket. Taehyung looked at it in curious, and then Hoseok pulled out a small heart shaped chocolate packed in a transparent small plastic. Taehyung stared at it in surprise and Hoseok laughed seeing the latter guy’s respond.

“Birthday prize,” Hoseok handed Taehyung the chocolate.

Taehyung grinned wider, he accepted the chocolate and then he pulled Hoseok to hug him so tight.

 

Same thing won’t happen twice, right? Hoseok won’t come, Hoseok won’t say his name out loud again and Hoseok won’t even congratulate him. Taehyung’s chest tightened a little, and realizing the fact that Hoseok was might laughing and playing happily with someone else just tightened his chest a little bit more.

He shouldn’t wait, he shouldn’t hope for something too big. He just let himself to think that his confession was just a joke he played when he was drunk, and Hoseok’s kiss yesterday was just a revenge for his joke.

Nothing was real, nothing was real.

Taehyung looked down and clenched his jaw, trying hard not to let those glints of tears to fall down his eyes. Just- just if he could make one wish in his birthday, damn it with the wish he had to do with the candles, he wanted Hoseok to come.

Even when Hoseok’s presence was nowhere for him to see.

Taehyung quickly wiped that glint of tears that was about to fall, and then he inhaled deeply. Wishing upon a star was just too childish, and to be pessimistic yet realistic at that night, there wasn’t any single star at the sky. The sky was too dark.

That’s okay, Kim Taehyung. That’s okay. I wish you a happy birthday.

He leaned his head back again when suddenly his phone which was thrown on the bed rang. Taehyung looked at it in surprise, and then he stood up to take his phone lazily.

And he didn’t know how to react; he only knew that his heart skipped a beat when he saw the caller’s name. Jung Hoseok.

Taehyung’s thumb slowly aimed to press the answer button, and then he slowly raised the phone to land beside his ear.

For a moment, no one said a word. The small drip of tears which had been hanging on Taehyung’s eyes slowly fell down, and quickly he wiped it.

“Taehyung-ah,” still, that voice was the one which called his name slowly that almost looked like a whisper. Taehyung’s heart skipped a bit again, he was too afraid to hear what Hoseok would declare next.

“Please get into the balcony.”

For another short moment none of them said a thing, and Taehyung just replayed Hoseok’s word. Get into the balcony… what else would happen? He slowly stood up, lifted the curtain that covered the door, opened the door and walked into the balcony still with the phone on his ear.

And whatever he saw just made him surprised.

Hoseok was standing down there; his face was lifted upward to stare at Taehyung still with his phone on his ear. But in front of Hoseok, right above the small bench in front of Taehyung’s house, there was a cake with candles sparkling on it.

The sparkle captured so beautiful inside his eyes because there wasn’t any other light source in the dark, the night was completely dark, and it just changed the lightless atmosphere.

It was a starless night, but a star just made his wish came true.

Taehyung gapped his mouth; he still had the phone beside his ear. Hoseok who was standing down there started opening his mouth to speak at the phone, even though they could just speak without it and they were enough close to hear each other’s voice.

 

“I… I’m sorry.”

 

Taehyung’s heart skipped a beat when Hoseok said so. Hoseok inhaled deeply and then he continued speaking.

“I’m sorry that I always act badly to you. I’m sorry I had never seen you and I’m sorry not to hear you. I’m sorry for only giving you bad things and I’m sorry that I had never made you happy. I’m sorry that I had never been your place to lean on, I’m sorry for giving you burdens all the time. I’m sorry for always acting like a foolish, I’m sorry for not congratulating you in your birthday earlier,

I’m so sorry that I always break your heart.

Can you please come down?”

Taehyung could feel that his tears went back to puddle around his eyes. He immediately hung the call up, turned around and went inside his room again.

Hoseok slowly took his phone down his ear, and then he sighed with his head hung lower. That’s okay, Jung Hoseok. You’ve done the right thing, you’ve apologized, and it’s okay if he left you inside. It’s okay if he doesn’t come out.

Suddenly the door was harshly opened from inside, and Taehyung came out with reddened eyes. Hoseok immediately felt his chest tightened in hurt, and Taehyung instantly approached Hoseok and hugged Hoseok so tight that it surprised Hoseok.

Taehyung’s breath was irregular because of the amount of tears he had held came out in all of sudden. Hoseok widened his eyes and gapped his mouth; he still didn’t know what to do when his Taehyung was crying in his embrace.

Hoseok slowly raised his arms and replied the hug.

“Why?” Taehyung’s sob slowed down, and he whispered. “Why do you even say sorry?”

Hoseok lowered his gaze, and he felt that his eyes got warmer by tears.

 

“Even your presence had paid all those mistakes.”

 

Hoseok suddenly felt that he had been too bad. He had been too mean, too deaf and too blind not to feel how loved he was. He had been too bad that he didn’t even realize the term of love where apologize words weren’t necessary always exist for him.

Taehyung pulled himself a little further and with one palm he wiped all his tears. He slowly formed a smile, and once he had been fully ready, he stared at Hoseok. “Thank you for coming, hm?”

Hoseok was confused at first, but then he chuckled and nodded.

Taehyung felt very, very relieved to see that Hoseok came. His burden slowly went away, changed by a smile and an eternal flutter of happiness.

Taehyung looked at his side at the cake, and then he looked back at Hoseok. “You really bought this?” he asked with his mouth gapped a little. Hoseok nodded with a small laughter, and then he started singing. “Happy birthday Taehyung,

My loved Kim Taehyung! Happy birthday Taehyung!”

“Now blow the candles!” Hoseok yelled happily. Taehyung chuckled shyly, and then he bowed his back a little to blow the candles.

“Make a hope…” Hoseok murmured once all the candles had lost their flame, but Taehyung simply shook his head and went back standing. Hoseok stared at him in surprise because he didn’t make any wishes, and he said, “Why don’t you?”

“I’ve wished for one before and it made the wish comes true. I guess asking for two in a day is too much,” Taehyung answered, and then he laughed.

Hoseok raised his eyebrows in confuse, but then he laughed and took the cake. “Let’s go to the park in front of your house, shall we? Celebrating in that place sounds better.”

“Oh, I found a star.”

“Where?” Taehyung immediately stared at the direction where Hoseok pointed at, and in the middle of one large black sky, there was a small and almost invisible star.

“Oh, I see it too,” Taehyung murmured and adjusted his position a little.

Both of them were now laying down the grass after messily they ate all of the cake. The large sky was upon them, their eyes were intensely staring at it and without even speaking anything and they had felt so comfortable.

“Taehyung-ah,” Hoseok murmured.

For a moment, no answer came from Taehyung. Hoseok glanced at Taehyung and called again, “Taehyung-ah.”

“Hm?” Taehyung turned his head around to look at Hoseok’s eyes, and Hoseok felt it.

That flutter feeling, that skip in his heart, that loved feeling and the feeling which makes you want to just stop time and stay the same. All of them were in a package, and Hoseok immediately felt it.

“Yah, what?” Taehyung spoke again, and Hoseok forced an amused smile.

“You know you're everything to me and I could never see the two of us apart,” Hoseok spoke in monotone voice still with his eyes locked on Taehyung. Taehyung frowned a little in confuse, and Hoseok faked a cough. He continued his speech, but the previous monotone words were followed by a song he sang.

 

And you know I give myself to you and no matter what you do
I promise you my heart

I've built my world around you and I want you to know
I need you like I've never needed anyone before

I live my life for you
I wanna be by your side in everything that you do
And if there's only one thing you can believe is true
I live my life for you

 

Taehyung’s heart couldn’t stop from beating too fast once Hoseok ended that song. Hoseok’s lips slowly formed a smile when he saw Taehyung was still shocked yet stunned. He slowly moved to lie down closer with Taehyung and he grabbed Taehyung’s palm to tangle their fingers.

Taehyung held his breath when his heart started to beat faster, and Hoseok slowly spoke. “You know, someone told me that lying about your feelings isn’t healthy.”

Taehyung glanced down; his whole body froze once Hoseok finished his words. Hoseok chuckled, he placed his palm on his face and then he muttered, “Oh, I’m so bad at this.”

An awkward yet shy laughter escaped Taehyung’s mouth. He glanced at Hoseok, and then Hoseok inhaled deeply before he continued to speak.

“In this world, there is exactly one person who could give you a package of flutter, heartbeat and happiness feeling. That person is the one who makes you happy without even you realizing it, who makes you feel loved without even knowing it, and that person is the one who you give different sparkle inside your eyes when you stare at that person. That person is the only one who you behave differently to.”

Hoseok inhaled deeply again after he finished speaking. He intensely stared at Taehyung, and he started gapped his mouth with his heart beating faster.

“I fell for the wrong one because I thought she was the one who could give me the whole package while that someone who gives me the entire package, even more, is always on my side.”

Taehyung nervously bit his lip when Hoseok stopped his speech and adjusted himself to lie down closer with Taehyung. Hoseok’s face was too near with Taehyung’s, and Taehyung started to feel that his cheeks got hotter and his heart beat faster. He glanced down in anxious.

“Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control.”

Hoseok smiled, slowly he placed his arm under Taehyung’s head and neck, and he wrapped his arm around Taehyung to make them even gapless. Taehyung’s head slowly leaned on Hoseok’s shoulder, and Hoseok had no idea that his heart started to beat fast too.

“Kim Taehyung,” Hoseok muttered with a wider smile formed on his face.

 

“May I be your birthday present?”

 

Taehyung didn’t even say a word in response that made Hoseok started to feel nervous. Hoseok glanced at Taehyung with his heart beating faster in nervous and happiness that he finally could be honest.

A shy smile formed on Taehyung’s lips, and Taehyung slowly nodded. In an instant the nod became bolder, and then he spoke with his face all red, “Birthday present a-accepted.”

“Accepted for a lifetime?” Hoseok asked again with his note increased and eyebrows rose in happiness. Taehyung’s face got a little redder, and then he shyly nodded.

“Yay!” Hoseok immediately chirped in happiness. His two arms instantly wrapped around Taehyung’s body and he hugged the latter boy so tight. Taehyung struggled to get himself free with blushing face, but Hoseok held him so tight inside his embrace.

“Y-yah! Get off!” Taehyung stuttered in his yell, but Hoseok seemed to be too happy to hear Taehyung. He just squeezed Taehyung tighter and yelled again, “Saranghaeyo Kim Taehyung!”

Taehyung’s heart skipped a beat when Hoseok said so. The warm feelings, the loved and never-let-me-go feelings just made him so happy. He covered his face with his palms and he yelled, “Ah, shut up! I’m shy, you little bastard!”

Hoseok laughed, he slowly moved his palms to get Taehyung’s palms off his face. He stared at Taehyung’s face with a smile.

His Taehyung.

 

“So, let’s go on a date.”

 

 

 

 

 

EPILOGUE

Fate, fate, fate.

Did you hear it when Hoseok spoke about fate when he confessed at Taehyung? Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control, he said! ‘Meeting you was fate’, he said!

Oh, why do we talk about fate again? It’s awful. Fate gives you twists and bad timings in things. For example, Taehyung’s heart won’t break if just fate didn’t make him to go to the healthcare unit room, fate didn’t make Mr. Heo rushing in busy, fate didn’t make Hoseok and Taehyung met there. Fate was the one who brought Jihye there and made Hoseok take her for a date.

But please don’t forget what fate had done.

Taehyung and Hoseok had fated to meet each other and to finally fall for each other. Fate made Taehyung forgot his hot pack, and that made him and Hoseok closer, even closer than before.

Fate made Hoseok fall for Jihye at the past, and it gave him unspoken lessons.

We may love the wrong person, and cry over the wrong person, but one thing is for sure. Mistakes fate did help us find the right person.

And that right person was Taehyung.

Because fate often makes mistakes, gives plot twists, does bad timings and does things out of control, but at the end it will give you the best thing ever.

And little they did know, fate was the one that united them.

 

 

...

a/n: ohohoho this is not the ending yet. am still going to post a semi-sequel chapter.

thaaaaaank you for the ones who have read, subscribed, commented and upvoted!

and the song Hoseok sang... it was such a romantic song. credit to Firehouse for making such great songs.