016

Fate Often Mistook

No matter how much you hate Jihye, please read this. LOL.

 

 


 

“Wait, wait! Should we try the roller coaster too?” Jihye yelled and pointed at a huge roller coaster tower.

“I’m worn out!” Hoseok said with his hands supporting himself at his knees.

Jihye took his wrist and yelled, “You’re such an oldie!”

Hoseok really meant his words yesterday. Today he took Jihye for a date in the amusement park in the middle of the city, and they had been playing since the afternoon. It’s now four o’clock, but they were still quite fresh and still playing happily.

Well, but Hoseok felt quite tired.

He was happy, yes, that he could finally take the girl he had liked since a long time out. That girl who was now pulling him to enter the roller coaster gate, that girl who had the laughter whenever she heard people scream from the games.

That girl who he had loved for a long time, but also that girl who couldn’t give him any flutter.

He attempted to act romantic and affectionate to Jihye, but all he did couldn’t give him such loving and loved feelings he usually felt at the practice. All the way he tried only to concentrate at Jihye and think about Jihye, but everything popped inside his head was just Taehyung. Was Taehyung okay? He felt bad because of their ‘fight’ yesterday at the healthcare unit room, and he couldn’t blame anyone but himself. He tried hard to kick Taehyung away from his head, but that boy kept on appearing.

 

And worst than that, today was Taehyung’s birthday.

 

Both of them were now sitting on the roller coaster seat side by side. The guard locked their seatbelts, and Hoseok cringed. “I wonder how long this game would take.”

“Are you scared of this?” Jihye looked at him and laughed.

“No, I just don’t want to die up here,” Hoseok said, and both of them laughed.

Suddenly the machine vibrated and made them jump a little. All of the players immediately held the iron seatbelt tight, and the operator spoke from the microphone, “The game would start in three, two, one…”

In an instant, the roller coaster went from its previous place. At first it walked slowly, but when all of them had arrived at the top where they could see the whole park and don’t even ask how tall it was, the roller coaster went faster when the lane was narrow and facing down.

All people who rode it immediately screamed. Hoseok himself just laughed because for him this has tons of fun, and Jihye just smiled from ear to ear.

The game continued for four rounds, this meant they had to pass the downward lane once again. When they were going up, Jihye looked at Hoseok and yelled because of the wind’s strength, “At the downward lane, there is a camera on that pole!!” she pointed at a supporter pole.

“Don’t scream and don’t make ugly face, okay?” she yelled again, and Hoseok showed a thumb.

They went up slowly, and for a second it stopped at the top. Hoseok held the iron seatbelt tighter, and immediately the roller coaster went down in super speed.

“NOW!” Jihye yelled, and in an instant Hoseok smiled at the camera on the pole.

After then, both of them laughed while everyone at the roller coaster screamed in horror. Jihye showed a thumb at Hoseok, and Hoseok nodded happily.

Soon enough, the roller coaster stopped at the beginning place. The machine automatically took off their seatbelts by raising it, and everyone went out of the train with messy hair and messed face. Hoseok and Jihye were the only ones who were still fresh and laughing.

The operator thanked them from the speaker as the new players got in. Hoseok and Jihye walked out side by side, and Jihye said, “Let’s see the picture!”

Hoseok nodded, and slowly he wrapped one of his arms around Jihye’s waist. Jihye didn’t say anything; she just walked to the photo booth place.

“I wonder where ours is,” she murmured and stared at the big screen at the photo booth which showed the photos that were taken from the roller coaster’s camera.

“Ah, you guys!” the operator of the photo booth looked at Hoseok and Jihye, and he scrolled the photos from the camera that were also appeared at his computer. He clicked at Hoseok’s and Jihye’s photo and it immediately appeared at the screen.

Hoseok and Jihye looked at the photo, and both of them laughed. Hoseok was grinning wide at the photo, and Jihye’s smile was too weird. But at least they were people whose faces were still appropriate to stare at; other photos had people screaming with derp faces in it.

“What a cute couple!” the operator said and looked at Hoseok and Jihye. “Get this photo only by three dollars!”

Jihye looked at Hoseok. “Should we?” she said, but many people from the roller coaster started crowding the booth. Hoseok raised his eyebrows and shook his head; he took Jihye’s wrist to pull her out of the crowd.

“Excuse me…” they muttered as they walked out of the booth, and then both of them laughed. Hoseok instantly wrapped his arm around Jihye’s waist again, and then both of them walked.

“Oh, cotton candy!” Jihye suddenly pointed at a stall in the amusement park which sold candies. It had several cotton candies hung on the sides, and Hoseok immediately approached the stall with Jihye.

The small stall was full of sweets from rock candy to jellybeans. It’s so cute, right? Jihye immediately snatched one cotton candy and she said to the seller, “How much is this?”

The seller stood up from behind the stall, it was a guy with candy costume that was also very cute. “Oh, a cute couple,” he said, and Hoseok and Jihye could tell that he was smiling from his voice. “One dollar, please.”

Jihye nodded and took her wallet from her bag, but then Hoseok held her hand and he paid the candy instead. Jihye stared at Hoseok in amusement, and once the candy had paid, both of them walked away after thanking the man in the stall.

“This must be delicious,” Jihye murmured and started peeling the plastic wrapper off the cotton candy. Hoseok just stared at the candy and he helped Jihye in peeling.

“Oh, here,” he said as he pulled a tangled part of the plastic wrapper. With Hoseok’s help, they succeeded in opening the plastic. Jihye pinched a part of the cotton candy and she inserted it into .

“Is this great?” Hoseok asked, and then he followed Jihye to eat. The cotton candy was so sweet and smooth it melts inside their mouths. Once they swallowed it, the taste remained still in the tip of their tongues that made them crave for more. Jihye immediately widened her eyes, and then her hand moved to snatch another pinch again.

Hoseok pinched another part and inserted it into his mouth. It was so sweet, and without no reason and all of sudden, it somehow reminded him to Taehyung. What was Taehyung doing now? Was he… somehow feeling lonely? The guilty feelings because of yesterday’s incident suddenly went back to him, and he sighed.

“Ah, this is too delicious,” Jihye exhaled in pleasure that finally brought Hoseok back to the present. He smiled and nodded as he ate more, tried to kick away his guilt feelings and attempted to enjoy his date more.

They kept on eating and walking until their feet felt numb and the cotton candy was all in their stomach. Jihye threw the cotton candy’s stick at a trash bin, and then both of them walked away again.

“We should’ve bought two,” Hoseok murmured. Jihye nodded in agreement and said, “I’m thirsty now.”

Hoseok looked around to see if there was any stall that sells beverages, and he ended up staring at a bubble tea stall. He murmured “Bubble tea?” while looking at Jihye and Jihye boldly nodded.

Soon enough both of them had been standing in front of the bubble tea stall to see the menu. Jihye scanned the menu from side to side, and then she stopped at the fruity ones. “Woah, apple is such a good selection.”

Hoseok did the same too before, but then he stopped at one sentence.

Matcha Bubble Tea?

 

It was a hot day that came even a week before summer when their school hadn’t started the holiday yet. The sun shined too bright that all the students were sweating, even until the healthcare unit room that was so cool was also used by teachers to make them cooler.

Luckily (yet unluckily), the school period had ended. Hoseok walked out of the school gate, his vest which used to be a part of uniform was now hanging on his shoulder. He slowly opened his uniform’s upper button, and he let fresh wind made himself cooler. Well, actually it didn’t work.

“Ah, has the earth changed into a hell?” he murmured in hatred and looked around with squinted eyes. Slowly his hand moved to take his water bottle from his bag, but once he let his throat got a little wet, he immediately had no more water left.

He cursed under his breath and sighed as he continued his trip home. All over the pavement people had umbrellas to protect themselves from sunshine, while Hoseok, the tired boy, went home with almost nothing with exhausted mental and physic.

Suddenly when he had walked halfway, there was a huge bubble tea café beside Hoseok. Hoseok looked at it with widened eyes, and then after a moment of thinking, he messed his bag to find his wallet.

Ah, what should I do? He lost his wallet. Hoseok clicked his tongue in hatred and looked around his bag again, he might magically find his wallet. But still, his wallet wasn’t there.

Well… at least can he stay inside for a while?

Anxiously Hoseok opened the glass door of the café. Once he entered it, the cold breeze of air conditioner made him sighed in relief. Many people were inside and the line was longer than usual, seeing that the weather wasn’t friendly at all. Hoseok peeked to see the final of the line, and yes, it was very long.

He pretended to stand in a line, but then he nervously would move around. The line got shorter and shorter, and it meant that his chance to make himself cooler got shorter too.

Hoseok nervously looked at his front. The line got even shorter when a boy walked away towards the door with too many glasses of bubble tea in his embrace that might fall every time. Hoseok stared at that guy in curious, but then he realized who it was.

Wasn’t that Kim Taehyung?

Hoseok immediately turned around and went out of the café, luckily he got out before that Taehyung guy because, hey! It’s always going to be an awkward moment when you in a reasonless way get inside a place and meet a friend you’re awkward with.

Taehyung got out of the café right after Hoseok. Taehyung didn’t seem to realize Hoseok’s presence before he finally got to stand beside the latter guy. He looked to his right and finally muttered, “Oh, Jung Hoseok?”

Hoseok stole a glance and he didn’t say anything.

Taehyung seemed to be a little burdened because of the amount of the teas he held, but then he handed Hoseok one glass. Hoseok glanced at the glass in surprise and Taehyung shook the glass a little. “Yah, for you. Take it.”

Slowly Hoseok extended his hand to take the glass, and once he had taken it, Taehyung went back to his drinking activity.

Hoseok immediately stared at the glass, and seeing the color, he made a face. Whatever the taste was, it was a green bubble tea. Yes, exactly green just like grass.

“Yah, don’t stare at it like that!” Taehyung yelled and elbowed Hoseok. “It’s my favorite taste, you know?”

“What taste is this?” still making a face, Hoseok murmured.

“Matcha,” Taehyung answered. “It’s a glass of matcha bubble tea.”

 

“Hoseok-ah, I said, what do you want to buy?”

Hoseok immediately widened his eyes as Jihye’s voice broke his mind that flashed back a moment. He awkwardly pretended to read the menu again, and then he said, “Matcha.”

Why, why in millions of people in this world, that person had to be the one he was concentrating to when Hoseok’s in a date with another girl? Hoseok sighed. He was now dating Yoon Jihye, his long-time crush and he should be happy. Hoseok forced a smile and he took his tea that had been finished prepared.

In a word, both of them sat on a bench nearby. Jihye sat down first, followed by Hoseok.

Hoseok slowly stabbed the plastic protector of the bubble tea by his straw, and he gradually drank it. Sip by sip entered his mouth, and still, the same taste still stayed like that.

“Mine’s fresh,” Jihye murmured. “How’s yours?”

Hoseok remained silent for a moment before finally murmuring, “Bitter.”

 

“What the hell!”

Taehyung immediately stared at Hoseok who was now sitting in front of him on the sofa at the terrace of the bubble tea café. Still with the glass on his hand, Hoseok made a face again and grunted.

“What?” Taehyung muttered in confuse and Hoseok pointed at the glass. “What freaking taste is this? I have never tasted a thing such like this in the world!”

“Matcha, matcha!” Taehyung yelled back. “Green tea, you know!” he sipped his glass of tea and then he yelled again, “This is so sweet! How do you and your freaking retarded tongue think this tastes like?!”

 Hoseok stuck his tongue out just like he had tasted something disgusting, and then he said, “Bitter! It’s so bitter!”

 

Hoseok and Jihye remained silent for a moment; both of them didn’t even have the desire to drink anymore. Hoseok’s eyes were blank and staring in front of them without any point, and Jihye just stared blankly too at her glass.

“No flutter, right?” suddenly Jihye said so, and Hoseok looked in surprise at her. “What?”

“You feel no flutter when you are dating with me, right?” Jihye said louder, and now she looked at Hoseok. Hoseok was stunned yet confused at the same time when this girl said so out of the blue.

“You don’t feel those butterflies inside your stomach, you don’t feel like holding your speech because you might stutter, you don’t feel like your heart beats faster in ecstasy. Am I right?” Jihye spoke bolder, and Hoseok still didn’t respond.

A small chuckle escaped Jihye’s mouth. “It’s such a heartbreaking feeling that you don’t even come to celebrate Taehyung’s birthday today.”

And Hoseok’s chest suddenly tightened.

“It’s okay if you don’t wanna answer,” Jihye spoke again; still she didn’t care about Hoseok’s will to answer all of these. “But it’s not okay for you to keep on lying to yourself. You know that one person who gives you butterflies, stutters and flutters.”

And that one name passed Hoseok’s head.

“Kim… Taehyung?” Hoseok slowly murmured so, and Jihye’s smile grew bigger.

Jihye inhaled deeply before finally she continued speaking, “Do you know why I didn’t even give any response when you confessed me and did romantic things at the past?

I just don’t want you to fall for the wrong person.

The different sparkle inside your stare, the way you behave differently, all of them appear only for Taehyung. Liking me is like only a passing truth, and you should know that all different yet special ways Taehyung has appear only for you too.

Hoseok’s body froze for a while, Jihye’s words echoed inside his head.

“Lying is not healthy, moreover lying to yourself about your feelings is more unhealthy, Jung Hoseok. So do you know what to do?” Jihye said again, and then Hoseok finally stared at her eyes.

Jihye chuckled, and then she pointed the exit door of the amusement park with her chin. “Go, Hoseok. Go and meet Taehyung at his house. Today is his birthday, and without even asking, I could know what he wants the most and what you think about the most. Meet him and wish him a wonderful birthday, and make him one.”

Hoseok slowly looked at the exit door, and then he looked back at Jihye. “Should… should I?”

Jihye nodded boldly. “He must be waiting for you.”

Hoseok remained silent for a moment to think, and then he slowly stood up with thumping heartbeat. Jihye smiled proudly and she gave a nod at Hoseok.

When she thought Hoseok would walk away and leave her in an instant, she was wrong. Hoseok stood up in front of her who was still sitting with his arms opened wide, and then Hoseok smiled.

“Thank you,” Hoseok spoke in a small voice, but the happiness drew in his face was too big. Jihye chuckled in her breath and she looked up at Hoseok. Hoseok shook his arms a little as the sign that he wanted a hug.

Jihye slowly stood up with a smile, and then she gave Hoseok a heartwarming hug.

 

“I did nothing that worth a thank you.”

 

 

...

a/n: this chapter is so hard to write...

for all of you who hate Jihye (whispers to xx_hug) bc she seemed to be arrogant towards Hoseok, the answer had been written up there <3

thank you for those who had read, subscribed, commented and upvoted this fic! you guys mean a lot for me.