Adjustments

Janus

 

It has been two weeks since that eventful first day of school. Thanks to that day, I now have a follower and the twins started a rumor that I was kicked out of my last school for harming another student. The latter is a bit annoying but it has kept people from bothering me. Most people avoid me but there are a select few that try to get on my good side. Do I really look like the type to purposefully harm someone? After the rumor started, word got out about my accident with Da-Hee. Most people are assuming I did it on purpose to force her to be my friend. Really, I've heard almost everything at this point. 

At this school, it seems like I get to play the part of the class delinquent. Not that I mind, I've always wondered what it would be like. It is just funny how teens are so accepting of what someone says. Right now, the only person who doesn't see me as some sort of threat is Da-Hee. This definitely wasn't how I was expecting to spend my last year of high school.

I mentioned before that no one really bothers me now that the rumor has spread, but it doesn't mean that I go unnoticed. My presence is always greeted with whispers and stares. It's like they are waiting for me to lash out or cause a scene. This is one reason I frequent the library. When lunch time rolls around I go to the same table with a new book, and let myself escape from the purgatory that we call school. 

I regularly check the books that I leave notes in. It seems that Jane Eyre was checked out right after I left my note. My next book is supposed to be Wuthering Heights so I find it and begin writing my next note, just in case I actually get a reply.

"Dear Reader,
 
If you are reading this, then you may have gotten my last letter. I wonder if you will answer? I can't wait to see. 

This book will be much more...morbid than the last one. I hope you don't lose interest until you finish it. I have more questions for you though. In this book, you find several misunderstandings and many instances of uncertainty.

Tell me, is love really worth dying for? Or is that just some romantic idea? Can misunderstandings be overcome? Or will it forever plague the relationship you have with another person? Can love surpass death? Or is that something we, the living, tell ourselves in order to push aside our uncertainties? 

Maybe you understand these things better than I do. I certainly hope so. Well, reader, I have to say goodbye to you again. The next book you should read is The Catcher in the Rye. 

Sincerely,
Janus."

I close the book and put it back into its rightful place, silently praying for a reply. If you asked me why I did this, I would probably say because it gave me something to look forward to. But, maybe that's a lie. Maybe I do this because I want someone to answer these questions for me. Maybe I do it because I am actually lonely. I guess I really want there to be someone who will listen to me, without me having to worry about whether I have more invested in the relationship than they do. 

I act like Da-Hee's admiration for me is an annoyance, but I actually enjoy having someone around that thinks I'm a good person. She follow me around every chance she gets; I gained a little sister because of a bicycle accident. The other students still believe I have something over her, even after she has denied it on more than one occasion. Instead of believing her, they have decided to believe everything that the evil twins say. They could say the sky was yellow and I am sure everyone would go along with it. 

That is the difference between myself and the twins. My father may be wealthy, but I don't want that to be the reason I have friends. Money shouldn't be used to gain popularity. This is why I ride my bike or walk to school. I want them all to believe that I am just a normal person. Someone who isn't worth their time.  Da-Hee seems to be the same way. Her brother, Taemin, is one of the most popular boys in the school, but instead of acknowledging him has her brother and gaining that  popularity for herself, she asks him not to let anyone know. She wants to gain true friends. Not friends that use her because of her brother. 

Maybe that's why I don't mind her hanging around me. We are similar. More similar than I had originally thought. That isn't to say we share the same interests though. Where my wardrobe is mostly black, her's is filled with color. I like watching action films, and she enjoys romance. But, somehow we are able to get along. I haven't told her about my father, though. It doesn't seem that important to me. 

The bell rings to signal the end of lunch and I make my way back to class. I can't help but wonder what the rest of the class thought of the story we had to read. We are reading old fairy tales and discussing what we all think the meaning or the lessons are. The story we are discussing today is the Little Mermaid. And no, I don't mean the Disney version.

I walk into the class and take my seat, anticipating how the story was interpreted by my classmates. I had yet to be disappointed. I was in a class with the smartest kids, but I still heard answers that revolved around money. Cinderella was a role model for going from rags to riches. Snow White was praised for her ability to snag a prince with her looks alone. I could hardly contain my excitement for the absurdities I was sure to hear today. What I wasn't looking forward to, was the certainty that I would be called on to give my opinion. I guess I could give one of my usual in class remarks like 'I don't know, I didn't understand it' or 'sorry teacher, but I forgot to read last night.' 

If I put half the effort into making friends as I do trying to convince people I'm boring and not worth their time, I would probably have several. I'm just not interested in backstabbing and drama. The only person I need to rely on is myself and there isn't a person out there that can convince me otherwise. Once the teacher comes in to begin class, I reign in my inner thought process and try to to focus on the lesson.

After droning on and on about all the 'possible' symbolism and meaning that Anderson 'might' have been wanting to get across to the reader (and nearly ruined the story for me) he begins with the Q&A. The first questions are the usual literary questions: What are the symbols used and what are they symbols of? Name the antagonist and protagonist of the story. If you were the little mermaid, what would you have done? Did she make the correct choice? Etcetera, etcetera. 

The last few questions garnered very absurd answers from a few people in the room. 'No, she didn't make the right choice. She should have taken her revenge and gone back to the sea.' 'If I were her, I would have gone back with my sisters. They made a sacrifice in order to save her and she pushed them aside.' I can't help but roll my eyes at their answers. The little mermaid sacrificed herself in order to protect the happiness of the man she loved. She was being selfless. The teacher must have seen my obvious lack of interest in the conversation because he turns his attention to me.

"Max. Why don't you tell us what you think about the story. Do you disagree with your classmates? Did the story end in a good way?" I glance around the room at the looks of disgust that graces the faces of many of my classmates. One person, though, is looking at me expectantly, like he can't wait to hear my answer. Taemin. What is his motive? I turn back to my teacher and put on a proud front.

"Actually, I do disagree with them. I think she made the right decision. She selflessly sacrificed herself in order to protect the happiness of the prince who she claimed to care about. If she had gone through with her sisters' plan, she would have lived several hundred years, grieving over his death. In the end, she was able to protect him and she was given the opportunity to make it to heaven. As a mermaid, she would have lived for many years, but she would never have made it to heaven. Yes, I think she made the right decision. And yes, I think the story ended in a good, yet bittersweet way. If I were her, though, I wouldn't get caught up in that mess. You can't say you love someone after knowing them for less than a day.  She was naive to think that." A few girls laugh at my revelation and whisper something about being bitter.

"So, you think she did the right thing but that she could have avoided the whole situation if she hadn't thought she was in love with the prince?"

"Yes. She hadn't known him long enough to give her own life for him. Love isn't something that just happens the moment you see someone. She found him attractive and mistook that for love." I lean back in my chair, losing interest.  Mr. Hong nods and laughs a little.

"You are probably one of the few girls that thinks Romeo and Juliet isn't a romantic story. Right?" Is this even relevant to the conversation we are having right now? Instead of voicing my opinion I just nod. Romeo and Juliette was a story of two over dramatic adolescents that didn't understand the consequences of their actions. "Taemin, what do you think about the story? Which side will you take?" The girls that sit at the the front of the class give me a smug look, as if to say they won.  Not that it matters or anything, but for once I would like them to be disappointed. I turn my attention to Taemin, along with the rest of the class. He smiles at me before he answers and I assume it is because he will take the other side.

"I agree with Max." Several gasps are heard around the room and for a moment I wonder if I was one of them. "The mermaid made the right decision and she was rewarded for that. However, I don't agree that there was no way she actually loved the prince." He looks directly at me as he says the next few sentences. "At first, she was only physically attracted to him, yes. But after she made it to land, she spent time with him and I think that is when she actually fell in love with him." I can't keep myself from blushing so I quickly look out the window and pretend to be uninterested and unimpressed. 

"Well, this has definitely been one of our more interesting discussions. Over the weekend, you all need to read a fairy tale of your own choosing and be ready to tell the class about it." Mr. Hong gathers his papers and puts them in a folder. "I have to leave early, so the rest of the class will be a free period. I suggest you use this time wisely and not as a time to socialize."  It seems pointless to say when he knows that the moment he steps out that door, everyone will be out of their seats. 

Sure enough, once he is gone, the chatting and gossiping begins. Hoping to avoid any unwanted conversation, I sit in the window, looking out at the schoolyard. Behind me, plans are made for the weekend and those unfortunate enough to be on the bad side of the 'in crowd' are put down behind their backs. Every now and then I hear someone mention Kyung-Mi and Myung-Ki, the evil twins. It amazes how everyone has made them into the royalty of the school in such a short time. 

"Can you believe her, Taemin? She really seems bitter doesn't she? How can she not like Romeo and Juliet?" I can almost see the disgusted look on her face. By her I mean Soo-Sun, Kyung-Mi's biggest rival and another reason I hate coming to school. My curiosity gets the best of me and I find myself listening to their conversation.

"Just because she doesn't like that story, doesn't make her bitter. It really isn't a romantic play. It's a tragedy. And the tragedy is that two young people thought they couldn't live without one another after a very short time. It isn't romantic at all." I smile smugly. At least I'm not the only one. 

"But they loved each other and made the ultimate sacrifice in order to be together."

"And they most likely ruined the lives of their families and didn't allow themselves time to see the better things in life. They were selfish. Simple as that." I cover my mouth as I laugh when I hear her huff in frustration. 

"So annoying! I can't believe you agree with her!" She is silent for a moment. "But anyway. You're coming this weekend aren't you? We are all meeting up at karaoke at six on Saturday." She must be talking about her birthday meet-up the twins have been going on and on about. I wonder if Taemin will go?

"We will see. I'm not sure yet, my parents are having company over so I might have to stay at home." Good. He shouldn't spend so much time with her. I shake my head. No, I can't think like that. What's it to me if he goes or not? I get down from the window, grab my bag and head back to the library to spend the remainder of the day there. 

Taking a chance I check to see if Jane Eyre has been checked back in. When I find it I quickly pull it off the shelf and flip through it, hoping to have a reply to my note.  While I flip through the pages a folded piece of blue paper falls onto the floor. I pick it up and unfold it quickly, excited to see if it will be the reply I had been waiting for. I take a deep breath to calm myself and begin to read.

"Dear Janus,

I found your note and contemplated for awhile whether I should write a reply or not. As you can see, I decided I would. To start off, I think I will answer your questions. The way I see it, love is seeing both the best and the worst in a person and still loving them all the same. Love isn't about accepting the worst in someone, but understanding it. I also think love is about knowing that the other person feels the same way about you, that you are mutually in love. Many times we hear that love is blind, but I don't believe that. I think it leads us to where we need to be and opens our eyes. 

You say you want to be in love. Have you really never been in love? I somehow don't believe that. It seems to me that you think about love more than you actually try to FEEL love. It is the best of emotions when you don't overthink it. 

I think I will read that next book you mentioned. I'm interested in helping you figure some things out. And I'm curious about the name you are using. Why did you pick Janus?

Sincerely,
Siwoo"

Siwoo? I don't know anyone in school with that name. I guess it could just be a name they chose, like mine.  I put the book back and go to sit in the library window. This school may end up being okay. It would be better if I didn't have to deal with the twins though. I sigh and lean my head back, closing my eyes. Who knew I would end up falling asleep. 

Taemin's POV

The first time I met Max was because of my sister. She was the first person to actually help Da-Hee with the bullies and I was thankful for that. My sister never would let me help her; she always told me she wanted to do everything on her own. Now that she is no longer being bullied, she has actually made several new friends. I owe Max one for that. Part of me is glad that Da-Hee has someone older looking after her when she won't let me, but when those rumors started, I was afraid she would be persecuted, too. 

Kyung-Mi had started it all. She claimed to know a student that went to school with Max and that's how she knew all these things. The moment I heard the rumor, I couldn't be persuaded that it was true. How could a girl who was taking care of someone like my sister be capable of harming someone? Once the rumor started going around, several more seemed to pop up by the end of the day. They said she had been part of a gang, she stole money from a small market store, and that she had even gotten her own friend hospitalized. I had never taken part in all the drama at school. It isn't worth my time to fill my mind with lies. The consequences of believing everything you hear are enough to make you miserable.

The first time I really paid attention to Max was when I saw her in the library on her first day.  I was there to look for a book on fairy tales when I saw her putting a piece of paper into one of the books. Assuming it was one of her books for class, I didn't think much of it, until I saw her put the book back on the shelf. As you can imagine, I was a little curious about what she could have left in the book, so when she left I retrieved the book and took out the paper. 

It was a letter! A very intriguing letter to be exact. She seemed like the kind of girl who didn't want anyone caring for her and values independence; on the outside. But, according to this letter, she is quite the opposite. The idea that she has never been in love is surprising to me and I find myself wanting to change that. How can I do that though? 

I enter the library after leaving my free class early and spot her there in the window. If I (along with the rest of the school) were to be honest, we would all admit that Max was one of the prettiest girls in the school. Being honest is hard when most of the guys want to stay in the good graces of the school royals. Taking a few steps in her direction, I notice her eyes are closed as if she is asleep. I set my things onto the closest table and move to stand beside her. Up close, anyone could tell that she was, in fact, the most naturally beautiful girl around. 

Her skin is smooth and nearly flawless, her lips small and pink, her face plump and heart-shaped, and her nose complimented those features well. Many of the girls in school had already criticized her hair. It was cut short, almost in a boyish pixie style, and was (what I assume) a naturally reddish-brown color.  When the other girls make comments about the way Max looks, it is almost always out of jealousy. In fact, I have already seen a few underclass men with their hair dyed a similar color. 

A sudden breeze comes through the window and blows her hair and clothes lightly. The smell of flowers hits me and I can't help but smile. For a girl who claims to be so unromantic, she sure does indulge herself with many romantic things. Floral perfume. Classic romance novels. Window sitting. She was what her pen name suggested; two faced. She played the part of a disinterested troublemaker in class, but was herself when she was alone. It makes you wonder what happened to make her want to act like that. 

Looking at her now, it is hard to imagine how anyone could believe those rumors. She really is an interesting girl. So full of surprises. When I am about to take my leave, I notice one of her boots has come untied. Praying she won't wake up until I finish, I tie her it. On my way out the door, I take one more glance at her sleeping form, wondering how I can make her believe in love.

Max POV

The bell signifying the end of the day wakes me up from the nap I had never intended to take. Jumping down from the window, I grab my things and quickly head out the door. As usual, everyone moves out of my path and I see Da-Hee in her usual spot beside my bike. Surprisingly, I don't feel burdened by her anymore. 

"Max! Finally. It took you longer than usual." I remove my bike from the rack and walk with her toward the school gates.

"I came from the library. It was unintentional, but I ended up falling asleep." She nods in understanding.

"Have you heard about the party this weekend?" When I nod she continues. "Min invited me, Soo-Sun's little sister. I don't know if I should go or not. We have family coming over that night." 

"I heard your brother say something like that in class today. It didn't seem like he wanted to go." As we walk, I discreetly look around for him, wondering when he will join us. "You should ask your parents if you want to go. I'm sure they wouldn't mind." 

"I guess you are right. If I do go, would you go with me? I'm afraid of going alone." I can't help the laugh that escapes me.

"I don't think I would be welcome. Soo-Sun really doesn't like being in the same space as me. Not to mention the twins will be there. Besides, Min will be there, you won't be alone." She pouts a little.

"But I want you to go. It will be fun if you go." I shake my head at the absurdity and park my bike in front of the small store we always stop at for ice cream.

"The only thing fun about me going would be the look on Soo-Sun's face when I walk in." We each purchase our favorite treats and sit on the outside bench. "You don't understand how much that group actually hates me."

"How could they hate you when they don't even know you?" 

"Trust me. They do." We eat in silence for awhile until I see Taemin come around the corner. I nudge Da-Hee with my elbow and point in the direction of her brother. "Look who finally caught up. Why don't you take him to the party?" She makes a face at me before getting up and running to her brother. You can tell how much they care about each other in moments like this; both of them all smiles as they talk about the day. This is also my cue to leave. I try to spend the least amount of time possible around him as I can. But this time I find myself lingering more than usual. When he sees me, he pulls a falsely surprised look.

"Wow, she actually didn't jump up and leave the moment she saw me this time. She must be getting used to me." Da-Hee giggles and I glare at both of them, causing them to fall in a fit of laughter.

"I thought I would finish my ice cream for once, don't get your hopes up." He puts a serious look on his face before bowing.

"As you wish, young lady." I lift an eyebrow at his behavior before looking at Da-Hee who just shrugs as we both break down laughing. I will say, I tried very hard not to laugh. His behavior was just so strange that I couldn't hold it back.  Our laughter seemed to be contagious because soon we had Taemin laughing along with us. It had to have been a sight to see. Da-Hee was doubled over laughing, I was on the verge of tears, and Taemin was leaning  against the wall of the store.  When the laughter finally dies down, I finish my ice cream and throw away my trash. 

Turning to Taemin, I give an elaborate bow. "Now, I shall take my leave young sir. It was a pleasure being in your company." I quickly get on my bike and wave at Da-Hee. "I'm leaving! I'll see you tomorrow, let me know what you decide." I ride away before they can see the embarrassing blush that has taken over my face. What is wrong with me? 

The first thing I do when I get home is put my bike up. I sit outside on the front step for awhile, thinking to myself about the events of the day before going inside to face the evil twins. As I go to untie my boots, I notice something different. One boot is tied the usual way with a single knot, while the other is in two knots. The only thought that goes through my mind at this point is: Who tied my shoe?

(AN. I apologize for the wait and the short chapter. I wasn't sure how to continue with the story after the last chapter, but I think I've figured it out now. I know this chapter isn't very interesting, but I promise more taemin/Max interaction in the next chapter! I hope you stay with me!)