New School. New Home.

Janus

New School. New People. New Family.

It took a week for us to move into our new house. It was a nice neighborhood, full of wealthy families who took great interest in their new neighbors. You know it will be fun when you overhear several whispers of "Do you think she's adopted? She doesn't look like her parents or the other kids." These words were music to the twins ears. They hated that I was their sister. The feeling was mutual though; I didn't want to be associated with such brats anyway. The fact that I looked a little out of place was because of my late mother. She was from America and I ended up looking a bit like her. I had her green eyes and light hair. The only similarity I shared with my father was a personality trait; stubbornness. Luckily I had a personality more like my mom; reserved, passionate, kind hearted, and loyal. 

Most people wouldn't believe any of that but, that's the way I want it. I'd rather them take little interest in me because they think I'm indifferent and cold than for them to attempt a friendship. I'm always the one that invests more of myself than the other person. I'd think the world of them and they would think of me...last. It is a situation that I had experienced enough not to want to repeat it again. I'd lost too many important people. 

Back to our new home. It was beyond modest. My father had really outdone himself. He finally built his dream house equipped with more bedrooms than we needed, but just enough space that I didn't have to see the evil twins too often. Being his favorite and only blood related child, my father made sure I was the only one with a map to all the secret doors and corridors that he so graciously hid everywhere around the house. He even put several secret exits in the house from my room. If my dad was anything, he was thoughtful. He new I didn't get along well with my new siblings and he knew that my mom and I had often wished for a house that offered much more than it seemed. Needless to say, the house was awesome and I had many rooms to choose from in order to hide from my venomous siblings. 

We weren't enrolled into our new school until after we had settled in, a week after we first arrived. I am thankful for that, it gave me time to figure out when all the other kids left, and the quietest route to my new school. Fortunately, we moved just in time for the beginning of the school year so there wouldn't be any awkward makeup lectures or late club enrollment.  The school looked nice, it was obvious they had plenty of funding (most likely due to the many students that had wealthy parents or parent in my case). They had everything a school needed, a gym, an auditorium, a field for outdoor sports, a pool, etc. It was unreal. I couldn't help but think that I was going to be met with even more snobby students than usual. I'm making it sound a school for only the rich aren't I? Well, it isn't. It's a public school. As long as you don't have a record of criminal behavior, you're in. Sounds just wonderful doesn't it?

My lack of enthusiasm for the idea of meeting new people is never lost on my father and stepmother. They keep encouraging me to make friends this time and maybe even find a boyfriend. What kind of parent actually wants their kids to date? After a pep talk and a few good lucks, we are shooed off to bed so we won't be tired for school the next day. Without anyone noticing, I secretly inform my new mother that I will be leaving very early for school in the morning. Did I mention that she is one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting? I don't see how her kids could be so awful. 

That night was spent tossing and turning because of my anxiety of entering a new school. For someone who doesn't plan on making any friends or worrying about being accepted, it's hard to believe how anxious school makes me. It may be because of how much effort I put into not standing out. I answer questions wrong on tests so I will only be in the top ten instead of the top five, I avoid all club activity, I make myself scarce during gym class, and I try not to participate in class discussions. 

After getting up in the morning, I put on my uniform with a few added extras (shorts under my skirt and black boots to pull it all together). I head downstairs and I am greeted by the smell of breakfast. I will say it again, my new mom is one of the nicest people. 

"Good morning, Max. I made your favorite breakfast so eat before you go. I also packed you lunch. I even slipped in some sweets." Best. Stepmom. Ever. Seriously.

"Thank you! I will eat well!" I eat as she bustles about the kitchen, preparing breakfast for the other three sleeping individuals in the house. "You didn't have to wake up so early to make my breakfast. I could've managed." She smiles at me.

"I know, dear. But you should let someone take care of you every once in awhile. You help everyone else but won't accept help back." She goes back to cooking and I finish eating quietly, a little embarrassed. I hurriedly get up from the table and wash my dirty dishes before grabbing my backpack. 

"My bike is out front right?" I check my bag to make sure I have everything and put my lunch in it. She nods. "Okay. I will see you after school tonight. Tell dad to have a good day for me and not to worry too much." I flash her a quick smile and rush out the door, needing to avoid the other students that live around me. If they knew I lived here, they would try to make me one of them.  I push my bike out into the street before getting on and heading to school. It was a bout a twenty minute bike ride from my house to school, but the scenery was something you couldn't appreciate from a car or bus.  

 I liked riding my bike anyway, it was isolated and refreshing.  But it can be unreliable. If it rains, you're out of luck. If your tire is flat, you're out of luck until you get it fixed. If the chain comes off, you can fix it but you get your hands dirty in the process. If the brakes are shot....God be with you. If you run into anything you will usually ride away with minimum damage. If you run into a person....be prepared to face the consequences. And never ride in heavy traffic. I'm telling you this now because, being the unlucky person I am, I have run into a person. And by the looks of the uniform, she goes to the same school. 

I pick myself up off the ground and go to the girl I ran into. "Are you okay? You came out of nowhere, I'm so sorry." I help her get up and notice the scrapes on her knee and elbow. "Aish, your bleeding. Sit here I have a first aid kit in my bag." The young girl sits down thankfully as I pull out the first aid box.  "Are you hurt anywhere else?" She shakes her head and I sit beside her, cleaning and dressing the scrape on her elbow. "What year are you? This is my last year in high school but my first year at this school." She looks at me then down at her hands.

"It's my first year." I nod. So, this quiet girl is in her first year. The first year is always rough. I clean and dress the scrape on her knee and stand up.

"Well, I guess we should both be getting to school. Maybe I will see you around." I hope not. I don't need any distractions or problems. I get on my bike and am about to ride away when I here her call out to me in a soft voice. I stop and turn around.

"My name is Da-Hee. Can we go to school together?" I squeeze my eyes shut in annoyance. The one thing that didn't need to happen...

"Of course. I'm Max. You can sit on the back." Her face brightens and she grabs her bag before getting on the bike behind me. "Hold on." I begin to pedal and adjust myself to the new weight. Maybe this won't be too bad. We are in different years, we couldn't see each other too often. She remains silent all the way to the school and luckily not many students have arrived yet. We get off the bike and I put it in the bike rack. "Well, I guess I will see you around. It was nice meeting you." I bow to her before spinning on my heel and heading toward the school doors. 

Unfortunately, I can hear her walking behind me. I try to ignore it but I spin around quickly, startling her. "Did you need anything?" She looks down and shakes her head then quickly walks past me and hurries down the hall. "Finally, I'm alone. Now, where is my class?..." I walk the halls in search of my first class, lost in my thoughts. How can a school be this nice? I'm brought back from reality when I hear a loud voice from down the hall. 

"You didn't meet us at our usual meeting place. What happened? You said you would bring us the money..." I look up to see several older girls cornering the girl from earlier. Seriously, why is this happening to me on the first day of school. I hate being social but I hate bullies even more. Should I pretend not to see it or do something? I'm about to walk in the opposite direction when I hear the girls again.

"You don't want to be beaten again do you?" One girls kicks the locker beside Da-Hee, causing the girl to flinch and shake her head. "Then hand over the money. We might rethink teaching you a lesson." That's it, I can't watch anymore. Four older girls against one? I walk down the hall and 'accidentally' bump into the one who looks like the leader.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see you there." I grin at her as I receive glares from each of her lackeys. "Maybe if you weren't standing in the middle of the hall I wouldn't have run into you." I pretend to see Da-Hee for the first time. "You! I've been looking for you everywhere." She looks at me confused and I just smile and motion for her to follow me. She steps out of the ring of girls who look like they may explode at any moment. "If you don't mind, I have some business with her." I link my arm with hers and begin to walk down the hallway until I feel a hand on my shoulder. "Is there a problem?" I turn to face them again, grin still intact.

"Actually there is. We weren't finished talking with her. She owes us something and YOU are getting in the way of that." They all cross their arms and smirk at me, probably hoping I feel intimidated by their actions. 

"From what I saw, you are the ones that owe her something. You owe her an apology." I scoff. "I mean, come on. Four against one? That isn't fair...and I'm sure the principle would love to hear about the bullying going on..." They laugh.

"He would never do anything about it. If word of a bully got out he would just cover it up." I smirk.

"Then I guess I would have to take matters into my own hands...leave her alone if you don't want to have any problems." Just before they could say anything else, the school bell rings and the hall becomes flooded with students rushing to class. They each give a huff and move on, leaving both me and Da-Hee behind. "You should get to class. And don't think I will do this every time. You need to stand up for yourself." I walk down the hall without looking back, in search of my class. When I reach the end of the hall, I finally find the right room. I take a deep breath before stepping inside the room.

The teacher turns to look at me the moment I open the door and I bow to her quickly. "I'm a new student." She looks confused for a moment before motioning me in.

"Class, we have a new student from America joining us today." The students all look at me and the whispers begin. I hear the word foreigner thrown around several times before the teachers quiets them down and tells me to introduce myself. I look around the room, feeling anxious once again.

"Hello. I'm Max. I just moved here from America last week. Please take good care of me." I bow as I hear several giggles around the room. 

"What kind of name is Max? Isn't that a boys name?" I roll my eyes and laugh slightly at their uncreative insults. Before talking the seat by the middle window as the teacher instructed. I brace myself as the whispers continue.

"Look at her hair...I bet she dies it that color." 

"Did you see her shoes, they are so old..."

I laugh to myself again, amazed that every school is always the same and I never hear any different comments. I glance around the room, wanting to see the faces of my new classmates and my eyes briefly meet those of a handsome boy in the back. I look away quickly and focus my attention on the teacher. My cheeks burn a little in embarrassment and I shake my head, trying to clear my thoughts. Too much has happened on my first day. But, at least I'm not in the same class as the evil twins. 

The day wears on until lunch and I get up from my seat before anyone can stop me, and head toward the library that I noticed earlier that morning. Libraries are the best places to be alone. Most students don't go there, and everyone has to stay relatively quiet. I scan the shelves until I find a book that I have already read and begin my usual ritual. At each school I attended, I would eat in the library and leave notes in books that I had already read for the next reader. It was something I enjoyed doing. I always wondered if anyone ever read them or if they just threw them away.

The notes usually asked questions about the book, but this time I thought I would do something different. As I ate, I began to write down the thoughts I had while thinking of the book down (in English because it was second nature to me). This particular book was Jane Eyre, a classic I had enjoyed with my mother.

"Dear reader, 

As you read this book, you will probably find some of the events a little peculiar. But, that is the charm of it. If everything made sense, then nothing would be very interesting. As I read this book, I began to wonder what love really was. Is it seeing the best in the person? Or is it seeing their worst and accepting it? Is it knowing they are yours? Or is it knowing they have chosen you? Is it blindly followed? Or is it leading the blind to solace?

You can decide on this yourself. I have always wondered what it was. I've never been in love, you see. I have loved and been loved by my family, but that is all. I want to be in love, reader. I want to be able to learn the answers to my questions. I want to know if love really is the greatest of all emotions. Now, read the book and maybe you will be able to answer my questions. You can leave the answer in the book, I'm sure I will find it. And if you want to help me anymore, check Wuthering Heights for another letter.

Sincerely, 
Janus"

Janus. The name I had been using since I started this letter writing. A god with two faces. Much like I had. I pretended to be distant and cold at school and I was all smiles when at home with my father and stepmother, or when alone. It seemed like a fitting name. I finish my lunch and slip the book back into its place before leaving the library. I had never gotten a reply before and I was wondering if I might get one this time around. It would be exciting. I hurry back to class before lunch ends. Hopefully this school year will be just as uneventful as the others had been.

Before class begins, I overhear a group of students talking about new kids. Apparently they were rich and good looking. Unbelievable! It must be the twins they are talking about. They probably went around talking about who their step father was and where they were living. They always did want to be the center of attention and I guess this was the perfect time for them to fulfill that shallow wish. How could two people be such brats? No one had approached ME yet, much to my own relief. I really don't want these kids to be my friends. They were like predators, always waiting for the other to show a weakness so they could move up on the food chain. 

I lay my head down on my desk and pray for the day to end soon. I couldn't take much more of the whispering and praises for the twins. The teacher comes in but I don't bother lifting my head. I'm tired of being around these people and it is only the first day. As soon as my last class is over, I rush to get out, avoiding all stares and whispers as I reach my bike.

I remove my bike from the rack and walk it past the school gates, only to be stopped by the gang of girls from earlier. "We have unfinished business with you. You ruined our plan and even threatened us. I think you owe us an apology." I sigh and laugh at the audacity of the situation.

"I don't owe you anything. You are just a group of spoiled brats that like to pick on people that are weaker than you. If you really want to start something with me, I suggest you rethink it." I push my bike past them only to have one of them grab my bag to stop me. I jerk away from her and spin around to face them, glaring. "I told you. Don't. Mess. With. Me." The girls take a step back and I smirk. "Now, if you don't mind, I would like to go home." I get on my bike and peddle away from the scene, annoyed. Why do they have to bring attention to me? I just want to be left alone. Is that too much to ask? 

I decide going home too early would allow the other students to find out where I live so I stop by a little corner store for ice cream. Did I ever mention how much I like sweets? I sit on a bench in front of the store, lost in my thoughts about my new school and classmates. Why did I have to run into Da-Hee this morning, and why did she have to be a target for bullying? As I sit there, I don't notice as someone sits beside me. 

"I wanted to thank you for helping me this morning." I jump at the sudden voice and turn to see Da-Hee sitting there, smiling at me. "Those girls actually didn't bother me when I left school today. And don't worry about running into me earlier." I nod and smile as I continue to eat my ice cream. Then I hear someone walk up to the bench. 

"Da-Hee! Where did you go? I told you I would walk home with you today." I look up at the young man and recognize him as the boy I saw staring at me in class earlier. I look down again and pretend he isn't there.  Da-Hee jumps up from her seat and links her arm with his.

"Oppa! This is the girl I met this morning. The one who ran into me on her bike." I wince at her introduction and look up at the boy again, nodding my head in a bow. "She even helped me with the bullies today." The boy looks at me then his sister.

"Oh, really? That's good. I'm glad you met such a good person." He turns to me. "I'm Taemin. Thank you for taking care of my sister. We are in the same class, right?" He smiles at me and my breathe hitches a little.

"I...um....yeah. We are in the same class. And it was no problem. I don't like bullies. And I owed it to her after running her over this morning." I finish my ice-cream and throw away my trash, walking over to my bike. "I should get going, I'm sure I'm being missed at home." I walk with my bike a little ways before Taemin calls out to me.

"We could walk with you if you don't mind." I DO mind. I don't want anyone to know where I live. 

"I have a few more stops to make. So, I guess I will see you both in school. Bye, bye!" I hop on my bike and quickly put distance  between us. Why does everyone have to keep bothering me? I just want to have a quiet year. But, from what has happened so far, that is something that will be hard to accomplish.