Epilogue

Beneath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

EPILOGUE

 

Two years later…

 

There was a scratchy sound as the video started rolling. It could be seen Seohyun lounging on the sofa with her baby bump more obvious on that white material of her thin dress. She frowned at the camera as she looked up, “Why are you filming?”

 

“This is going to be funny,” Yonghwa’s voice could be heard on the background and the video shook as he scolded that certain someone, “Ya… ya… be careful!”

 

Euna’s head suddenly popped out of the screen and she grinned, one tooth missing, “Appa! You’re taking my video… again?!” She tried to sound frustrated but her face showed her simple delight as she slapped her forehead slightly to emphasize her point.

 

“Come here, Euna,” Seohyun gestured for her daughter to move closer to her. Euna appeared to tiptoe with an exaggerated lift of her legs and her hands braced forward, “What are you doing?”

 

“Shhh… baby’s sleeping…”

 

Yonghwa chuckled then spoke, “Sit carefully beside your mommy. She will show you something.”

 

“What is it?! What is it?!” She bounced on her bottom and Umma frowned at her so she gave her a fishy smile and slid her arm carefully on her mommy’s stomach, “Sorry baby and sorry Umma…”
 

Seohyun just smiled and carefully took out a photo paper from a light blue envelope. She turned to find Euna’s eager wide-eyed stare and a smile curved on her lips as she revealed their surprise, “Jajaaaan! Look, Euna, your baby brother!”

 

With one shift, she showed the ultrasound picture to the camera and Yonghwa made a gurgling sound at the back of his throat, “My baby boy…”

 

“Lemme see!!!! Lemm……mmmmeeeee………….. seeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!” Euna grabbed the paper and slumped back on the couch.

 

“Jung Euna, you really have to stop moving too quickly or you might jab your mommy’s tummy with your pointy elbows again!” Yonghwa scolded but his voice told otherwise, then mumbled, “Where ever you got that from…”

 

“I heard that.” The video lifted to Seohyun’s smiling face as she rubbed her belly gently, the gold band on her finger glistened in the morning sun. She then looked at their six-year old daughter inspecting the ultrasound photo of her baby brother. Forehead knitted and lips jutted in concentration, Euna inspected the paper in her hand. And when Seohyun realized her daughter still couldn’t figure it out, she leaned forward and pointed, “Here… his little eyes, his little nose… and look at this—his hand!”

 

They waited. Euna’s face remained frowning until she looked up past the camera to her daddy who was still filming the whole thing. She shrugged, “I don’t know, it looks scawy…”

 

Yonghwa chuckled keeping the camera focused on his daughter’s brooding expression, “What’s so scary about that? It’s your baby brother inside mommy’s tummy, the doctor took a picture of him.”

 

“Wow, scawy…” Euna sighed softly as if she did not hear what her Appa just said.

 

The little girl suddenly flipped the picture upside down so Seohyun reached out, “No, Euna… you look at it like this. There, that’s his head…”

 

“No! I like it like this!” Her stubbornness finally showed as her shoulder shifted to turn away from her mommy then pointed at the picture vehemently, “This is his head!”

 

Seohyun turned to look at her husband with a roll of her eyes then back at Euna, “Arraso…”

 

“Cool, huh?” Yonghwa asked smelling the tantrum that was probably brewing so Euna would start calming down even before it happens. When their little girl gets frustrated about something she couldn’t wrap her little head into, she would turn from the sweet angel to a raging baby demon he would call.  

 

Euna remained quiet so Seohyun looked at him again and gave him a knowing wink as they were now on the mission of keeping her calm.

 

“So, sweetheart, what do you want to name your baby brother?” Yonghwa coughed as soon as he said that when Seohyun gave him a deadpanned look. He mumbled behind the camera, “What?”

 

Seohyun clicked her tongue and repli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter