Sixty Four

Beneath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

SIXTY FOUR

 

 

Kangin smirked when he saw the kids in the playground. Their guardians and teachers were watching them but the children were all over the place it was easy to get to sneak on the little girl. He tested the small mic he put in his pocket, the camera was ready any time he needed it. Euna was constantly moving around, running and playing with her friends but he had all the time in the world to get what he wanted.

 

And Kangin found his chance when she eyed the swing.

 

Euna began walking and he took careful steps as well. From their encounter a few days ago, she was cheerful and friendly and Kangin made sure she remembered him with the keychain he gave. The little girl finally saw him as she skipped on the grass but her innocent eyes grew alert and she swallowed hard as she stopped dead on her track. Kangin smiled just in case she didn’t recognize him. He walked on with the same friendly smile but she started looking around warily.

 

It was then he recognized the fear in her eyes. He stopped when Euna ran towards the open street. He looked up to see a car approaching and his eyes transferred to the terrified little girl.

 

Everything seemed to move too fast.

 

Kangin tried to catch her before the car crashed into her little body.

 

But it was too late.

 

He gasped watching the rest of the scene unfolded in slow-motion.

 

~~~

 

Seohyun was restless. The meeting seemed to be taking so much time. She had rehearsals and fitting sessions next but as the discussion moved on, she couldn’t wait for the day to end so she could spend time with her daughter. The thought of Euna never failed to make her feel excited to be home and have her little bestfriend around. She planned to take her out for dinner tonight. She had been a good kid  this week and she deserved some good food and maybe an ice cream or anything she wanted.

 

Yonghwa was scheduled to come home in a few days so she wanted to take Euna out for a couple of times before that. Whenever her Appa was around, Euna stayed home after school and although she was spending time with her parents, Seohyun would feel sorry that they couldn’t even take her to the mall or eat outside.

 

Taeyeon nudged her that she realized how she zoned out. Giving her an apologetic smile, she tried to tune in at Director Kim until her unnie leaned closer to her and whispered.

 

“Seohyuna, someone has been calling you.”

 

It was only then she noticed the phone in her hand that she set in silent mode before the meeting started. The ringing stopped but her heart drummed louder when she saw that all the missed calls came from Euna’s babysitter. Mrs. Jin rarely called her.

 

Seohyun turned to Taeyeon who gave her a curious glance so she whispered, “Euna’s sitter, I have to call her back.” When the older woman gave her a small nod, she excused herself from the group and slipped quietly out of the conference room.

 

Before she could even make the call, her phone rang again and she hurriedly answered, “Hello?”

 

“Hello, Seo Joohyun-ssi?”

 

She gasped at the deep voice of a man who answered Mrs. Jin’s phone, “Ahh, yes? Who is this?”

 

“This is Officer Park…”

 

There was this ringing in her ears and she suddenly felt nauseous even before the man could continue. Something happened to her baby— that was what her instinct was telling her. “Euna…” she unconsciously whispered bringing her free hand on her neck.

 

“I’m sorry to tell you this but there was an acci—”

 

“Where is she?!” Seohyun asked hurriedly. She didn’t need to know what happened— she just needed to be there.

 

The door opened. She tried to understand what the police officer was saying but she could no longer focus until someone else grabbed her phone.

 

“I’m so sorry,” Taeyeon said while watching Seohyun’s pale face as she stood there unfocused. “Can you say that again?”

 

“Seo Euna was sent to the hospital. She was hit by a car—“

 

“Oh my god…” Taeyeon mumbled then asked, “Where is she?!” After getting the location, she guided Seohyun out of the building whispering assuring words to her.

 

~~~

 

Taeyeon squeezed Seohyun’s hand while she talked to Euna’s doctor on the phone on their way to the hospital. As it turned out, the little girl’s injuries were not life threatening since the car was following the speed limit set inside the park. Despite this, the doctor warned Taeyeon of what they will be arriving into once they see her. Euna suffered from a broken arm, bruised ribs and a few scratches on her face when she fell on the ground.  She also had to be sedated since it seemed like her little body was not used to that kind of pain that she passed out and cried a lot when she woke up in the ambulance.

 

Explaining all of it to Seohyun was useless as she seemed to have fallen permanently lost in her own thoughts. Now, Taeyeon was more worried for the mother than their little princess in the hospital. She wrapped Seohyun’s hand on hers and whispered, “She’s okay, sweetheart. Everything will be okay.”

 

That did it for the younger girl. The tears she was trying to fight back finally fall free and she sobbed on her Unnie’s arms. “I’m scared… so scared…” Seohyun said in between tears. It was all too foggy for her. Euna was just her usual cheerful self this morning and now—

 

“Shhh… be strong, okay?” Taeyeon rubbed her back, “You shouldn’t let her see you like this. The doctor said she’s fine. Do you want me to call Yonghwa?”

 

Seohyun wiped her tears. She was right, Euna would be sadder if she cried. Shaking her head, she replied, “A little later when I see Euna.” She swallowed, “What did the police say? How come she was running on the street? Euna would never do that unless she was scared.”

 

“I know…” Taeyeon nodded, “I’m sure they interviewed witnesses. I will talk to them.”

 

“Thank you, Unnie…” she sighed and closed her eyes for a moment when Taeyeon’s driver announced that they were in the hospital.

 

They rushed to the private room where Euna was. Her babysitter was crying softly at the corner and apologized repeatedly at them but Seohyun could see nothing but her little baby on the bed with left arm in a cast and sling and her tiny hand bandaged. She also had scratches and light bruises on her forehead. Seohyun’s heart felt like being wrung watching Euna sleep so peacefully like nothing happened.

 

While Taeyeon assured the old woman that she was not to blame and asked her driver to take her home, Seohyun couldn’t seem to take her eyes off her baby as if checking for other injuries. She was already tearing up, the feel of her heart being clenched inside her chest had even intensified. The need to wrap Euna in her arms was so strong but she was so afraid t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter